Canon EOS R Series Cameras

@Bebop

Not sure if you can do it within the menu's, but another way is to cover the Sensor, a small corn plaster might do the trick.... But ponder whether battery life isn't the only issue with having the EV permanently on, would it generate heat at all!

After a Shoot on Thursday night, I'm pondering whether how to lighten the EV, so that I can' line up focus etc in the dark to make life a ickle bit easier. It's ability was very good focusing in very low light, very little ambient light at all. So I assume there is a way of brighten the EV so that you can see the subject rather than a wysisyg.....

@Bebop

Not sure if you can do it within the menu's, but another way is to cover the Sensor, a small corn plaster might do the trick.... But ponder whether battery life isn't the only issue with having the EV permanently on, would it generate heat at all!

After a Shoot on Thursday night, I'm pondering whether how to lighten the EV, so that I can' line up focus etc in the dark to make life a ickle bit easier. It's ability was very good focusing in very low light, very little ambient light at all. So I assume there is a way of brighten the EV so that you can see the subject rather than a wysisyg.....
I think red menu number 3 might be what you want - exposure simulation. Try turning that off.

I use my Olympus with the viewfinder on all the time. You can miss shots waiting for the evf to come up otherwise.

p.s. good thought on covering up the eye sensor - not ideal, but a possible solution.

Last edited:
So that it’s constantly on. Currently if I take my eye away, it goes off.

I’ve set it to manual in the menu, viewfinder on, which turns the lcd display off ( though you can still set the af point which is a nice touch). However when shooting action, I don’t want the viewfinder to turn off, ever, and currently mine does.
You're half way there, now you're using VF only go to the spanner option in the menu, submenu 2 and power savings. Put Viewfinder off to disabled

Last edited:
You're half way there, now you're using VF only go to the spanner option in the menu, submenu 2 and power savings. Put Viewfinder off to disabled
You got me all excited for a moment, but I think you'll find if you take your eye away for a while, the viewfinder does go off. It may be an improvement though.

You got me all excited for a moment, but I think you'll find if you take your eye away for a while, the viewfinder does go off. It may be an improvement though.
Hmm it didn't seem to go off when i tried, make sure you've auto power off (this is for the camera as a whole) off as well. If you don't it's the camera powering off rather than the vf.

Hmm it didn't seem to go off when i tried, make sure you've auto power off (this is for the camera as a whole) off as well. If you don't it's the camera powering off rather than the vf.
It is quite bizarre because the info displayed in the menu for disabling the viewfinder would indicate that it should do exactly what I want. However if you count to 10 slowly and then look through again it will have gone black. It does show again the second you put your eye there again, so it isn't the camera going to sleep.

It is quite bizarre because the info displayed in the menu for disabling the viewfinder would indicate that it should do exactly what I want. However if you count to 10 slowly and then look through again it will have gone black. It does show again the second you put your eye there again, so it isn't the camera going to sleep.
How bizarre, just retried it and yep the same behaviour. I must have had something close to the vf sensor when i tried earlier because it appeared to work as described!

Starting to see some positive reviews on the RP lately now that the reviewers have had more time with it. I definitely think the hate on it was unjustified, people just expect way too much for little money these days, we are, as photo-enthusiasts, a little too spoiled perhaps.

Gotta say I initially didn’t show any interest in Canon R/RP as reviews were so ‘hey ho...’

I wasn’t convinced by RP in the hand, but liked the R lots

Gotta try these things for yourself I guess.

Yes I liked the R in the hand at the show; I am still going to wait for the next one as I have an Oly Mirrorless which is really good. Hoping for 2 card slots and ibis next version.

I’m really liking the rendering and IQ I’m seeing from the R and, at my very brief try, it felt good in the hand. However Fuji have these days nailed the nice to use factors on the X-T3 and I do much prefer using that to my 5Diii.

Now folks have been using the R for a while, I’m wondering what’s the conclusion about how it handles and using it in the field as it were. What are the likes and dislikes? What needs some attention in next gen?

.... I have been shooting with the R since it became available in the UK. My other camera body is a 1DX-2 and so my opinions about the R cannot help but be influenced by that and, perhaps surprisingly, also vica-versa. Consequently I have shot with a variety of EF L lenses on the Control Ring Adapter and also the RF 24-105mm F/4L.

No camera is perfect but judge the image quality of my EOS-R results for yourself - Flickr album : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157703352623054

I have shot with it in snow showers high in mountains, some above the tree line, hours of fine drizzle, low minus temperatures, all without any problems. So so far it seems tough enough for my wildlife photography.

However, I am totally spoilt by 14fps on my 1DX and so the R's low fps rate can sometimes have limitations of final picture choice. I use Sony TOUGH SDXC UHS-II cards which write up to 299MB/s and there is no buffer or lag even on one burst of over 40 RAW shots continuous shooting (a test I did) - Canon strongly recommend the UHS-II cards for the EOS-R to get optimum performance. I only shoot RAW and nearly always Manual-mode.

This is the first EVF for me which has an acceptable quality and I especially like WYSIWYG and seeing the histogram in the viewfinder. A clever and great feature is that the EVF automatically switches itself on when your eye (or anything) is held close and is otherwise off.

My biggest dislike is the position of the AF-ON button at an awkward slant - When I am quickly swopping between the R and 1DX, each with a lens already mounted, the AF-ON on the R which I use for Back Button Focus is a nightmare!

Battery life is poor but has strangely greatly improved with the addition of the Battery Grip - Go figure! Fortunately I already had 5 batteries from previously owning a 70D and then a 7D-2 with 5D-4.

Handheld shooting with telephoto lenses has greatly improved handling and balance since the battery grip was attached, especially for portrait orientation.

The Vario-angle screen is invaluable when shooting on a tripod or ground pod but otherwise I keep it folded facing inwards and therefore off.

If there is time to set up a shot I really like and prefer the R to the 1DX, especially on a tripod. But for handheld quick response to action and the ability to just ignore any weather conditions, the 1DX-2 rules! There is no such thing as the perfect camera but a mirrorless 1DX equivalent with vario-angle screen would come close. But I still need two bodies rather than faff around changing lenses and also risking dust and debris etc getting inside.

HTH :)

Last edited:
I have to say, I handled one of these two weeks ago at park cameras and they feel like rubbish.
It's good to see the images look high quality.

Which one did you handle Toni? I've heard the RP feels like a toy but the R seems ok. I haven't had hands on yet myself.
It was the R.
Unfortunately (or not) I'm used to a 5d4 with grip or 1dx mk2.
The R, as soon as I put a lens on it, it wanted to face downwards.
Not a comfortable experience TO ME.

Just my feelings you understand.

It was the R.
Unfortunately (or not) I'm used to a 5d4 with grip or 1dx mk2.
The R, as soon as I put a lens on it, it wanted to face downwards.
Not a comfortable experience TO ME.

Just my feelings you understand.
Much the same as Robin says then, still with the size of my bloody great paws I normally have a grip fitted whatever body I use. Thanks for the reply.

Well, can say the Tamron 150-600mm focus doesn't work on the adaptor with the R... Mind you mine Tamron is mk1 so probably where the issues lays, within it's age.. But thankfully I had the 7d Mk 2 with me.

But I do like the R, the kit lens I found excellent, and my sigma 24-70mm F2.8 Art is mind blowing sharp... Just need to flatter my eyes at hubby for a upgrade to my wildlife lens..

Now options, the sigma 150-600 or perhaps a Canon L with a converter ermmm

Well, can say the Tamron 150-600mm focus doesn't work on the adaptor with the R... Mind you mine Tamron is mk1 so probably where the issues lays, within it's age.. But thankfully I had the 7d Mk 2 with me.

But I do like the R, the kit lens I found excellent, and my sigma 24-70mm F2.8 Art is mind blowing sharp... Just need to flatter my eyes at hubby for a upgrade to my wildlife lens..

Now options, the sigma 150-600 or perhaps a Canon L with a converter ermmm
could the tamron just need a firmware update, don't know if tamron do this for you or if you can update it yourself mind you

could the tamron just need a firmware update, don't know if tamron do this for you or if you can update it yourself mind you

I've just had a look, my lens is one of the first, going by the serial number, 000xxx, so not sure if anybody bothered to update it's firmware prior to my ownership (2016), but to have it done will have to go to a Tamron dealership ermm.

But going through my photographs taken on the 7d mk2 today, some odd focusing going on. very inconsistent with focusing indeed, even though I was spot on, appeared every now and the to decided to back focus...

So whether it's coming to it's end, might just needs to have an overhaul... But I be happy to replace :) .

I've just had a look, my lens is one of the first, going by the serial number, 000xxx, so not sure if anybody bothered to update it's firmware prior to my ownership (2016), but to have it done will have to go to a Tamron dealership ermm.

But going through my photographs taken on the 7d mk2 today, some odd focusing going on. very inconsistent with focusing indeed, even though I was spot on, appeared every now and the to decided to back focus...

So whether it's coming to it's end, might just needs to have an overhaul... But I be happy to replace :) .

Looks like you've talked your self into a new one quite quickly, better get fluttering those eyelashes a bit sharpish. :LOL:

I got an R with the kit lens last week. This is after using a 5d3 for a few years. I'm still getting to grips (pardon the pun) with the R but initial impressions after a few hundred shots are.
I like the form factor, I don't miss the joystick (not sure what the fuss is about, just use your thumb on the screen), the swipe bar thing took a little getting used to but I'm using it for iso and it works very well. The other controls are starting to become second nature (much faster than they did when I bought a Fuji xt-1).
My only niggle so far is that I can't make the focus point as small as I could on the 5d3, I'm hoping for something in the next firmware update. This has made a couple of shots a little softer than I would have liked. Also the articulating screen is great but I need to perfect my technique for using it as when I use the screen to shoot I think I'm a little hit and miss.
I've got an ef 40mm on the way to use as a walkabout for street stuff, will report more in a week or so.

Cheers

D

I got an R with the kit lens last week. This is after using a 5d3 for a few years. I'm still getting to grips (pardon the pun) with the R but initial impressions after a few hundred shots are.
I like the form factor, I don't miss the joystick (not sure what the fuss is about, just use your thumb on the screen), the swipe bar thing took a little getting used to but I'm using it for iso and it works very well. The other controls are starting to become second nature (much faster than they did when I bought a Fuji xt-1).
My only niggle so far is that I can't make the focus point as small as I could on the 5d3, I'm hoping for something in the next firmware update. This has made a couple of shots a little softer than I would have liked. Also the articulating screen is great but I need to perfect my technique for using it as when I use the screen to shoot I think I'm a little hit and miss.
I've got an ef 40mm on the way to use as a walkabout for street stuff, will report more in a week or so.

Cheers

D
I agree - it seems we will get the smaller one for servo in the next update, but a spot is really what I'd like. I'm not sure if there are any RP users on here, but do you have a spot focus point available?

I set the bar to ISO too, but accidentally changed it when shooting some action and got underexposed shots, so I've locked it now although it's still set to ISO. May still use it, but to be honest, I find the M-Fn button really useful to quickly change ISO or other settings. I really like having exposure compensation on the control ring.

I agree - it seems we will get the smaller one for servo in the next update, but a spot is really what I'd like. I'm not sure if there are any RP users on here, but do you have a spot focus point available?

I set the bar to ISO too, but accidentally changed it when shooting some action and got underexposed shots, so I've locked it now although it's still set to ISO. May still use it, but to be honest, I find the M-Fn button really useful to quickly change ISO or other settings. I really like having exposure compensation on the control ring.

Mine is locked, unlocking quickly is getting a bit of getting used to.

DPR are at it yet again with their misleading review scores and 'awards' - to the uninformed about their site the RP now looks better, it's scored higher at 83% and got a silver award, over the R which only got a score of 79% with no award. To the more casual potential buyer this is very misleading, as they don't make it clear that they divide gear into sub-categories. The RP wouldn't be directly compared to the R or the A7III or Nikon Z [as the R was] - but it's compared instead to older models like the A7II and 6DII [they state this at the end of the review] = but some will just take the scores as is and it could sway their decision.

Still, nice to see it score well, I still think it's an interesting camera, and though it actually intrigues me personally more than the R, I still realise and know the R is the much better camera for a more serious shooter.

Still, nice to see it score well, I still think it's an interesting camera, and though it actually intrigues me personally more than the R, I still realise and know the R is the much better camera for a more serious shooter.

.... In many ways I would agree that the EOS-R is the better camera than the RP for a more serious shooter. However, although I say what follows without ever seeing or handling a RP, I think that for a traveller or someone doing candid or street photography the smaller size of the RP may have advantages and those types of photography can be done just as seriously. But I know what you mean, Keith, and the R has features more typically suited to serious work - But I bet the image quality of the RP is just as good and it need not restrict your favoured types of photography at all (as far as I know).

On the other hand, perhaps the EOS-M being even smaller is better still for traveller (backpacker) and candid photos. I personally found the EOS-M5 too small for comfort but its image quality absolutely matched the standard of my 7D-2 using the same EF lenses plus adapter. I only shoot RAW.

I think Canon have been quite clever in filling the mirrorless gap between the EOS-R and M series and doing so with a full-frame body which is good value for money (aka 'cheaper'). I am very pleased that they released the R before the RP because I would have gone from my M5 to the RP (emblazoned with my initials!) and would now probably be trading up to a R, all costing me more money overall.

But if the next higher spec R-series body doesn't have a Vario-angle screen and has the same awkward positioned AF-ON button, I won't be trading up because I like most of what the R offers me - Remembering that no camera, not even Canon's current flagship 1DX-2, is perfect!

As Ansel Adams said many decades ago as in my signature below: "The camera takes the photograph but the photographer makes the photograph".

I may have missed or forgotten you saying so Keith, but have you handled a RP yet?

Last edited:
I know a lot of folks here are not bloggers on YouTube etc and that includes me, but on Monday I have the opportunity to wear my family tartan and pose with the world famous 'Flying Scotsman' railway engine and so I hope to be taking a wireless remote selfie on tripod with my EOS-R with the Vario screen facing me, just like a YouToober.

I shot this recently on the EOS-R (uncropped) - Click the image to check out settings etc on Flickr :

Flying Scotsman_R_3240 by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I recently broke my lee little stopper and instead of replacing it I am considering buying the EOS R adapter with the drop in ND filter as the R will be my main body for landscapes. I think that I read somewhere that the mount needs to have a filter in position to focus properly which would also mean buying a clear drop in filter. Does anyone know if this is correct? Does anyone use this adapter? I like the idea as it allows an ND filter to be used with ultra wide lenses. Any comments would be appreciated.

I may have missed or forgotten you saying so Keith, but have you handled a RP yet?

No, I don't often get to test any gear before trying which is the main reason I watch so many reviews. I can get a good feel for how it would handle by using the likes of camerasize comparison and watching reviews that show the reviewer handle the camera as they show the layout. I'm rarely susprised once I buy gear, it's always just how I imagined. I just ignore all the video option spiels when it comes to cameras. In the case of the RP it's not hard to see that most negative reviews were almost solely based on the video side

I recently broke my lee little stopper and instead of replacing it I am considering buying the EOS R adapter with the drop in ND filter as the R will be my main body for landscapes. I think that I read somewhere that the mount needs to have a filter in position to focus properly which would also mean buying a clear drop in filter. Does anyone know if this is correct? Does anyone use this adapter? I like the idea as it allows an ND filter to be used with ultra wide lenses. Any comments would be appreciated.
I don't know the answer, but it sounds a bit odd - there is no glass in the other adapters. My query would be, does this mean that you always have to use EF lenses with it? Presumably if you have RF lenses then it won't work?

Are there any third party filters that work with the adapters? Canon's seem so expensive.

Rather nice today for a change and got more hands on with the R. Does feel a great camera in the hand and the evf is fantastic. The quality sooc is amazing and certainly just general processing of snapshots they need a much lighter touch compared to my previous 6D / 80D.

20190406_12-43-14.jpg

Last edited:
I wandered into Wilkinsons in Carlisle and they just happened to have an RP in stock,
very nice in the hand, good heft, buttons in all the right places.
The strangest thing : they didn't have it on display!?
I asked them if they had the new Canon and they knew exactly what I was asking about.
Nice camera, like an overgrown Panasonic G3.

I liked the feel of them in my hand. Yesterday, for the first time, I looked at the prices of the RF lenses and my jaw dropped...

I don't know the answer, but it sounds a bit odd - there is no glass in the other adapters. My query would be, does this mean that you always have to use EF lenses with it? Presumably if you have RF lenses then it won't work?
The adapter is just that - an adapter, it moves the lens throat of an EF lens to the correct distance from the sensor - so it wouldn't be suitable for RF lenses optically - and they simply wouldn't fit either.

The adapter is just that - an adapter, it moves the lens throat of an EF lens to the correct distance from the sensor - so it wouldn't be suitable for RF lenses optically - and they simply wouldn't fit either.
I concur. It was @Fordsabroad who was considering the adapter with ND filter in it. I was raising the issue that if he is using RF lenses, an adapter is of no use anyway - so he might be better off sticking with Lee filters on the front, unless he plans to only use EF lenses in the future.

I concur. It was @Fordsabroad who was considering the adapter with ND filter in it. I was raising the issue that if he is using RF lenses, an adapter is of no use anyway - so he might be better off sticking with Lee filters on the front, unless he plans to only use EF lenses in the future.
It was me who posted re the adapter. I don't have any R lenses and can't see a good reason to buy them at the moment as I have a 1dxii as well as an R. It seems that the EF lenses work very well with the R but the R lenses are specific to this range of cameras.

It was me who posted re the adapter. I don't have any R lenses and can't see a good reason to buy them at the moment as I have a 1dxii as well as an R. It seems that the EF lenses work very well with the R but the R lenses are specific to this range of cameras.

.... That is exactly the case in my experience.

In the interview which I posted in #1037, Canon officials said that "with the EF lens and with the adapter of course, it allows for the EOS R to be able to tap into the EF-series, and the EOS R system actually brings out the potential of those lenses. In other words, the autofocus. And so that's why it does really advance or optimize the EF lens within the EOS R camera system. And with the adapter, it also has the control ring and a filter. So by having these features, it actually allows the user to appreciate more of what EF lenses can do, going beyond what they have appreciated in the past for EF lenses."

I only have one RF lens, the general purpose RF 24-105mm F/4L but, as others have also reported, it offers superb quality images. But I don't like the zoom being so stiff and I find it too easy to unintentionally move the MF ring while zooming or using the Control Ring, but I am slowly getting more used to it - These problems don't interfere as much if I am tripod mounted.

Back