Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Really like that!
Thanks, glad you like it.

I came to the conclusion that when you're down at these sorts of shutter speed and panning in burst mode, the way Canon has chosen to implement a blackout free EVF is absolutely rubbish and practically unusable. I also came to the conclusion, that as good as the EOS R is at some things, it is 100% not a good camera for high speed action like motorsport. Just as well I have a 1D mk IV as well ;):LOL:

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
I came to the conclusion that when you're down at these sorts of shutter speed and panning in burst mode, the way Canon has chosen to implement a blackout free EVF is absolutely rubbish and practically unusable. I also came to the conclusion, that as good as the EOS R is at some things, it is 100% not a good camera for high speed action like motorsport. Just as well I have a 1D mk IV as well ;):LOL:
.... Absolutely! It's 'horses-for-courses' and the EOS-R has a relatively slow burst rate which can be a serious limitation. As always, it depends what subjects you are shooting.

Edit My Images
Yes
I
Thanks, glad you like it.

I haven't tried it yet for panning. For action (football/kitesurfing), I've shied away from using it and have stuck with my 5div.I didn't buy it for action, but it's nice to know it's not too shabby.

Edit My Images
Yes
I tried the R out the other week with the 35mm 1.8 at f/2 and ISO 6400 - this is with no noise reduction...

The articulated screen is a boon at gigs, especially because I'm short. I don't do much video normally, but I might try that out next time.

I just had another look at this image and I prefer it before I processed it, so here it is SOOC other than a crop....
190412222134-BCR_0786.jpg

Last edited:
Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Went into Wex(Norwich) today to have a look at the R, it wasn't there, the RP wasn't there, realized the whole 5d range wasn't there, the 1dxmk2 was also missing. Turns out the Wex staff got robbed at knife point on Wednesday by three men....very shook up obviously. What is happening to this country.

Edit My Images
Yes
Went into Wex(Norwich) today to have a look at the R, it wasn't there, the RP wasn't there, realized the whole 5d range wasn't there, the 1dxmk2 was also missing. Turns out the Wex staff got robbed at knife point on Wednesday by three men....very shook up obviously. What is happening to this country.
shocking :(:(

Edit My Images
Yes
Tried the R with my 180mm macro today - used the peaking for manual focus - very happy with it! This is SOOC other than a fairly big crop. Plane of focus not ideal in this example. Taken at f/8 1/640s ISO 400 in rather windy conditions.

I discovered the peaking won't show if you've left the lens switch to AF and not MF. Logical I suppose but it did catch me out at first. I normally use back button focusing so rarely bother with this switch.

190508123730-BCR_1061.jpg

Actually this one is probably a better example of the focusing capability - also SOOC other than a big crop - a dingy skipper
190508121441-BCR_1023.jpg

Last edited:
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Tried the R with my 180mm macro today - used the peaking for manual focus - very happy with it! This is SOOC other than a fairly big crop. Plane of focus not ideal in this example. Taken at f/8 1/640s ISO 400 in rather windy conditions.

I discovered the peaking won't show if you've left the lens switch to AF and not MF. Logical I suppose but it did catch me out at first. I normally use back button focusing so rarely bother with this switch.
.... Peaking only in MF caught me out too but macro work makes focussing very critical and on subjects like wildlife minibeasts MF is far more reliable. I primarily bought my EOS-R as a second body mainly for Macro with my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS but on a tripod it also works well on a 500mm. Burst rate is the main let down though.... Sometimes. I use BBF too.

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Any recommendations for a L bracket? I have a Manfrotto 293C4 with A0RC2 Ball Head.
.... I expect that there is a solution. Wex are very helpful - Select their option 3 on 01603 486413 and ask - They won't try and hard sell you.

Most photographers use the Arca-Swiss profile system and there is a lot of choice of products.

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
As I mentioned many pages ago, I sold my EOS-M and 7D-2 to buy a new EOS-R and chose it particularly to be my second body (to a 1DX-2) to mostly live on my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens, especially as it has the Vario-angle screen. Although I have thoroughly tested the R on all my lenses including the EF 500mm F/4L II and been satisfied, it is only now at the beginning of the 2019 dragonfly season that I have been able to test the macro/close-up combo.

This is my first keeper shot and I am pleased with the RAW image quality and handling (easier with the battery grip). I shot handheld in Manual-mode including manual focussing with Auto ISO set as default overridden on the EF Adapter's Control Ring. The focussing aids in the EVF are invaluable for macro/close-up shots.

LARGE RED DAMSELFLY
by Robin Procter, on Flickr

More info on Flickr.

Edit My Images
Yes
As I mentioned many pages ago, I sold my EOS-M and 7D-2 to buy a new EOS-R and chose it particularly to be my second body (to a 1DX-2) to mostly live on my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens, especially as it has the Vario-angle screen. Although I have thoroughly tested the R on all my lenses including the EF 500mm F/4L II and been satisfied, it is only now at the beginning of the 2019 dragonfly season that I have been able to test the macro/close-up combo.

This is my first keeper shot and I am pleased with the RAW image quality and handling (easier with the battery grip). I shot handheld in Manual-mode including manual focussing with Auto ISO set as default overridden on the EF Adapter's Control Ring. The focussing aids in the EVF are invaluable for macro/close-up shots.

LARGE RED DAMSELFLY
by Robin Procter, on Flickr

More info on Flickr.
Fabulous shot and completely agree - the peaking is invaluable for manual focusing. I similarly use auto ISO with the control ring set to compensate.