Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I've still got my RP and R, in the end I couldn't decide which I liked best and balanced it with cost... the R for features and VF, but the RP for its size!

What lenses are you using with them? I still wish the RP had IBIS, I think I'd own one by now if it did.

What lenses are you using with them? I still wish the RP had IBIS, I think I'd own one by now if it did.

I’ve got the 200 2.8, canon 24-105, 100-400 IS and the 70-300 DO.

Very good all of them, none are RF lens bit performance is excellent. RP is awesome. I’m just spoilt have the R!

I’ve got the 200 2.8, canon 24-105, 100-400 IS and the 70-300 DO.

Very good all of them, none are RF lens bit performance is excellent. RP is awesome. I’m just spoilt have the R!

You've got most things covered there, bar macro maybe?

You've got most things covered there, bar macro maybe?

I think so - forgot to add I have the 50mm STM too haha! Thing is, I don't need anything else as I barely get time to use the stuff I have as it is! I'd like. lighter 100-400 maybe, but I think bang for buck this one is phenomenal.

Trying out my R with a 100mm macro lens with a ring flash.I find it a lot easier to use the focus peaking than the old way.I am getting many more keepers.
BF3.jpgBF1.jpgBF2.jpg

Last edited:
Following my earlier post :
I tried out the combo of my EOS-R + EF 100-400mm L II + Kenko 1.4x today on insects in my wildlife garden. Usually my EF 100mm Macro lives on that combo and my Canon 1.4x III is mounted on my EF 500mm F/4L II + 1DX-2. Including the Kenko 1.4x saves me swopping around etc.

I'll post an example image in due course (I still have a huge backlog from my travels) but the point of posting now is to report my findings that such a combo works quite well and especially shooting MF with Focus Peaking enabled. I have the Canon battery grip fitted to my EOS-R and that makes a big different to the physical balance and handling when shooting.

The EVF with histogram etc displayed is perfect for insect photography and the fast burst rate which my 1DX-2 has is not critically needed.

.... Here is an example of the combo (details on my linked Flickr page) as promised. As others have reported, the Focus Peaking option when shooting in Manual Focus is invaluable for close-ups. The Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro has the edge in sharpness over the EF 100-400mm II + 1.4x Kenko but it isn't shabby and it's much easier not to spook butterflies at 560mm than 140mm! I would normally use the Canon rather than the Kenko Extender but it's in use on my EF 500mm lens in my 'KitchenHide'.

Btw, I shot this at 480mm rather than full out 560mm because the butterfly arrived as I was shooting Honey Bees and I didn't want to move and spook it. So I zoomed to achieve the composition I wanted.

The EOS-R maintains image quality when EF lenses and Extenders are mounted and so the EOS system of both D-SLR and Mirrorless is successfully integrated.

PEACOCK BUTTERFLY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

CanonRumors are telling us that a new firmware update is on its way for the EOS-R :

https://www.canonrumors.co/rumors-new-firmware-for-canon-eos-r-coming-soon/

This new firmware is rumoured to include improved eye AF performance, most notably on subjects at a distance. I assume it's the feature whereby the AF focusses automatically on (human?) eyes? < A feature I personally have never felt the need to use. Now if this feature was extended to animal eye focus then I might, or might not, use it. But I wonder how such a system would deal with subjects like the fake eye designs on the wings of the Peacock Butterfly in my post #1,209?

I have always found CanonRumors to be a very reliable source of information.

I saw this this other day. As it says in the article, it would be a big, if not huge lens.
https://petapixel.com/2019/08/10/canon-designed-a-50-80mm-f-1-1-lens/

.... Lens technology advances due to the RF mount are still being explored and developed - Technology never stands still. And so I think that this somewhat extreme spec RF 50-80mm F/1.1 lens may be just Canon toying with the idea (as the linked PetaPixel article suggests). Once upon a time back in the olden days of 2016, Canon went as far as displaying a model of an EF 600mm DO lens at a major public show - It has never appeared but doubtless some of the technology which was developed behind Canon's closed doors has been incorporated in their current RF developments.

This rather sugary verging on cheesy [truly awful music soundtrack] video about RF lens technology is interesting :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-swouJ4qS4

Last edited:
CanonRumors are now telling us that Canon is now working on a RF 200-500mm L lens and that it may be released in late 2020.

https://www.canonrumors.co/rumors-canon-rf-200-500mm-l-lens-coming-in-late-2020/

That potentially puts me into a bit of a quandry because my most used lenses are Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L II and EF 500mm F/4L. I use both EOS-R and 1DX-2 bodies on these two lenses and am *mostly very happy with what the various combos offer me. *There is no such thing as the perfect camera or lens!

Theoretically a new RF 200-500mm L could successfully replace both the two lenses I mention above and consequently would be almost certainly affordable. But what would the MFD of the RF 200-500mm be in comparison to the approximately 4ft of the EF 100-400mm and also what would be its widest aperture range?

Also, to satisfy wildlife photographers who invariably need reach, Canon would need to release both 1.4x and 2x RF mount Extenders.

As RF lenses can't be mounted on EF mount bodies, I would then definitely need to replace my 1DX-2 with the rumoured RF mount 1DX equivalent which is expected to be before the Tokyo Olympics in July 2020.

The bottom line is though that I could carry on quite successfully without changing any of the gear I already have.... Couldn't I? :LOL:

Last edited:
It's their job to make people want more when they have a kit they could only have dreamed of 10 years ago.... I have just read the Fuji GFX 100 [or something like that] thread and was briefly quite intrigued. I just need to get out more!

CanonRumors are now telling us that Canon is now working on a RF 200-500mm L lens and that it may be released in late 2020.

https://www.canonrumors.co/rumors-canon-rf-200-500mm-l-lens-coming-in-late-2020/

That potentially puts me into a bit of a quandry because my most used lenses are Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L II and EF 500mm F/4L. I use both EOS-R and 1DX-2 bodies on these two lenses and am *mostly very happy with what the various combos offer me. *There is no such thing as the perfect camera or lens!

Theoretically a new RF 200-500mm L could successfully replace both the two lenses I mention above and consequently would be almost certainly affordable. But what would the MFD of the RF 200-500mm be in comparison to the approximately 4ft of the EF 100-400mm and also what would be its widest aperture range?

Also, to satisfy wildlife photographers who invariably need reach, Canon would need to release both 1.4x and 2x RF mount Extenders.

As RF lenses can't be mounted on EF mount bodies, I would then definitely need to replace my 1DX-2 with the rumoured RF mount 1DX equivalent which is expected to be before the Tokyo Olympics in July 2020.

The bottom line is though that I could carry on quite successfully without changing any of the gear I already have.... Couldn't I? [emoji38]
Just upgrade your body to the soon to be announced 70mp R camera!

Just upgrade your body to the soon to be announced 70mp R camera!

.... But I'm not a landscape or still life photographer and so I don't need 70mp or even 50mp. I need fast burst rates and all-weather durability. So I would rather wait and check out the EOS-R pro equivalent of the D-SLR 1DX which Canon are working on - I'm calling it the 'EOS-RX'.

It's their job to make people want more when they have a kit they could only have dreamed of 10 years ago.... I have just read the Fuji GFX 100 [or something like that] thread and was briefly quite intrigued. I just need to get out more!

.... From what I know about the Japanese mindset and ethos, they take enormous pride in making what they produce to be the best possible. Of course every manufacturer needs to sell their products to efficiently fund further developments but I believe that the Japanese ethos makes it primarily their job to design and produce the very best possible. They seek to have great pride in their achievements - It's almost a matter of honour.

Last edited:
.... But I'm not a landscape or still life photographer and so I don't need 70mp or even 50mp. I need fast burst rates and all-weather durability. So I would rather wait and check out the EOS-R pro equivalent of the D-SLR 1DX which Canon are working on - I'm calling it the 'EOS-RX'.
But your a wildlife shooter? Don't you crop?

There's a reason why the d850 is such a popular camera for wildlife shooters

But your a wildlife shooter? Don't you crop?

There's a reason why the d850 is such a popular camera for wildlife shooters

.... And also a reason why the Canon 1DX-2 is popular for wildlife shooters. Actually, more than one reason.

The Nikon D850 is an excellent camera and if I used the Nikon system I would doubtless have one but my camera tools are invested in the Canon EOS system.

Officially the 1DX-2 is 'only' 22mp and the EOS-R 'only' 30mp but I regularly get big size Mb files from both bodies (I only shoot RAW). I'm not a pixel peeper.

Yes of course I crop, sometimes quite heavily but check out my Flickr pages linked in my signature below and tell me they are substandard and that I need a higher mp camera.

Last edited:
.... And also a reason why the Canon 1DX-2 is popular for wildlife shooters. Actually, more than one reason.

The Nikon D850 is an excellent camera and if I used the Nikon system I would doubtless have one but my camera tools are invested in the Canon EOS system.

Officially the 1DX-2 is 'only' 22mp and the EOS-R 'only' 30mp but I regularly get big size Mb files from both bodies (I only shoot RAW). I'm not a pixel peeper.

Yes of course I crop, sometimes quite heavily but check out my Flickr pages linked in my signature below and tell me they are substandard and that I need a higher mp camera.
High mp helps a lot with cropping. Any heavy crops by you when printed out I will see the degrade on my own eyes.

D850 is proof that a high mp can be as fast as a sports orientated camera in fps and af speed.

The d850 is sensational. The best dslr out of the lot

High mp helps a lot with cropping. Any heavy crops by you when printed out I will see the degrade on my own eyes.

D850 is proof that a high mp can be as fast as a sports orientated camera in fps and af speed.

The d850 is sensational. The best dslr out of the lot

.... If you say so. Do you shoot with a Nikon D850?

Loving the EOS R for landscape pix.Was passing Castle Stalker at Appin, the weather was horrible but i decided to get some pix.Photo taken with 24-70mm with adapter and converted to black and white.I like how it shows you in the evf what you have just shot.EOSR0933e.jpg

Has anybody used any of the Sigma Art Primes on the EOS R? I would be interested in hearing if anyone has used the 20mm f1.4 Art lens.

Yes. Theres an issue with the 35mm but it just needs lens illumination correction turning off on the camera or something because you get these shaded loops that appear

Was just about to post this. That puts it right in Sony's range by the looks of things!

I think she's referring to not having had 5 stops of stabilisation before.

That could be it, I would have thought IS lenses were already up to that standard to match bodies with IBIS but Canon specific maybe not

Just a heads up that there is a firmware update for the R - 1.3 not sure if I missed it before - not the one bringing better eye tracking.

There's also an update for the RF 35mm lens though I think it may only be relevant for RP cameras.

Last edited:
Shot a wedding earlier this week on the EOS R; looking at the images and doing a bit of cropping and shadow brightening - I can’t believe the overall difference compared to micro 4/3. Very very impressed. Looking forwards to this software update for the AF too!

Shot a wedding earlier this week on the EOS R; looking at the images and doing a bit of cropping and shadow brightening - I can’t believe the overall difference compared to micro 4/3. Very very impressed. Looking forwards to this software update for the AF too!

What lenses are you using with it?

Back