Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I've never had a camera with IBIS, I assume if you are shooting moving objects then IBIS is no help, it only works for still subjects, is that correct?

T

.... In a word: Yes.

Think of IBIS as the sensor being suspended in a gyro cage and then doing its best to keep the sensor steady regardless of how the target subject is moving.

I've never had a camera with IBIS, I assume if you are shooting moving objects then IBIS is no help, it only works for still subjects, is that correct?

T

I rarely ever shoot anything fast moving, I mostly shoot stills so I always benefit in some way from stabilization. Even when using faster shutter speeds, especially with longer FL lenses, IBIS or indeed, OIS, helps to steady your framing. There's no jittering all over the place through the evf, it's nice and steady. I find it helps a lot with longer primes.

On moving subjects though, there's usually 2 modes for IBIS systems, one for stills and one for panning, I forget what they're called and it'll differ depending on manufacturer

On moving subjects though, there's usually 2 modes for IBIS systems, one for stills and one for panning, I forget what they're called and it'll differ depending on manufacturer

.... I have never changed any settings or modes when panning my Olympus which has both IBIS and lens IS. Most of my panning has been on moving steam railway train subjects.

.... I have never changed any settings or modes when panning my Olympus which has both IBIS and lens IS. Most of my panning has been on moving steam railway train subjects.

Never used anything but the default IBIS mode personally either [and any cam that has it, it gets left on all the time] , I have oft wondered if there's much of a difference between the modes

Never used anything but the default IBIS mode personally either [and any cam that has it, it gets left on all the time] , I have oft wondered if there's much of a difference between the modes

.... I know that if you switch IS off on a lens while, for example tracking a bird in flight, continuous focus will work faster because there is then less work being done by the lens to potentially slow it down.

I suppose that logically the same might apply to IBIS? But if your camera body's processor is powerful enough it might not usually matter.

I think we are just talking about ideal best practices here and might be overthinking it. I don't know.

.... I know that if you switch IS off on a lens while, for example tracking a bird in flight, continuous focus will work faster because there is then less work being done by the lens to potentially slow it down.

I suppose that logically the same might apply to IBIS? But if your camera body's processor is powerful enough it might not usually matter.

I think we are just talking about ideal best practices here and might be overthinking it. I don't know.

Heh, that is one thing I rarely do, over think ;) That's really why I leave IBIS on constant - it works for when I do need it and doesn't seem to negatively affect anything when I don't [higher shutter speeds etc]

T

Edit: oops, for some reason I didn't see the replies above!

Yes, IBIS works same as in-lens stabilisation, ie it compensates for camera movement not subject movement.

Last edited:

If you’ve left it on auto IS then you probably get away with it. If you leave it on IS in all directions or in the panning direction, you probably won’t - as I recently found out.

If you’ve left it on auto IS then you probably get away with it. If you leave it on IS in all directions or in the panning direction, you probably won’t - as I recently found out.

.... Both my Olympus M1X are set to Auto which means image stabilisation applies to motion on all axes, AND if panning motion is detected, the camera will automatically suspend image stabilisation on that axis. I have also set on mine IBIS Priority over shooting speed for fps bursts, and Lens IS Priority when a recognised IS lens is mounted.

I would expect that Canon would offer very similar settings with their forthcoming IBIS bodies.

.... Both my Olympus M1X are set to Auto.
Exactly my point, that’s why you are able to leave it on.

I thought you could potentially mislead people by saying you don’t change your settings whereas auto is not the same as having IS switched on in all directions.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Canon treat IBIS

Last edited:
Anyone interested in the new 24-105 f4-7.1 ?

Due to its small size and weight it makes the RP look an appealing low weight option....

Anyone interested in the new 24-105 f4-7.1 ?

Due to its small size and weight it makes the RP look an appealing low weight option....

f/7.1 at 105mm isn't very appealing, since the RP won't have the best ISO performance to go with [from what I've seen it's worse than many modern APSC at similar levels]

f/7.1 at 105mm isn't very appealing, since the RP won't have the best ISO performance to go with [from what I've seen it's worse than many modern APSC at similar levels]

ISO is okay, its the DR thats poor.

ISO is okay, its the DR thats poor.

I was interested in the RP briefly, so watched a bunch of videos on it, some of them were very pro RP - saying it was incredible value, ignore the nay sayers etc - but almost all of the reviewers showed it wasn't the greatest for a FF sensor for high ISO. With some showing it Vs APSC sensors like Fuji and Sony E and it didn't fare too well beyond 3200. This wouldn't be the turn off for me as such, just something to be wary of - along with, as you say, the poor DR. Combined, at higher ISO, when you need to give that extra little push in post, images can fall apart quickly. I'd still consider one though at current prices, if only it had IBIS :/ I do hope they put out some kind of follow up budget friendly R that includes the feature. Rumors suggest they will some time soon

I was interested in the RP briefly, so watched a bunch of videos on it, some of them were very pro RP - saying it was incredible value, ignore the nay sayers etc - but almost all of the reviewers showed it wasn't the greatest for a FF sensor for high ISO. With some showing it Vs APSC sensors like Fuji and Sony E and it didn't fare too well beyond 3200. This wouldn't be the turn off for me as such, just something to be wary of - along with, as you say, the poor DR. Combined, at higher ISO, when you need to give that extra little push in post, images can fall apart quickly. I'd still consider one though at current prices, if only it had IBIS :/ I do hope they put out some kind of follow up budget friendly R that includes the feature. Rumors suggest they will some time soon

Its very good value for a new FF if you dont push in post to much. The eos RP is a little cleaner than sonys a6600 and the XT3 all the way through the ISO range but definitely not as good as Sony FF sensors. Canon will definitely be pushing and it wouldnt surprise me if they surpass Sony in the next gen in terms of camera spec... but they might do a usual Canon and cripple whatever they bring out in some way.

It's a Mirrorless 6dii isn't it? Decent enough until you push the files.

Probably makes a really nice light weight set up with the rf 35mm f1.8

I don't know, can only go by the samples in reviews but it looked worse than the better APSC sensors once pushed even slightly - maybe default is slightly cleaner but we all know we're pushing even well exposed images in post for the most part.

I believe it is the 6DII sensor but I guess the tech/build is different, the same sensor doesn't always perform the same in different bodies. It would be plenty enough for me if the DR didn't suck so hard once you rise above ISO 100, I do like to play about with my RAW files

I don't know, can only go by the samples in reviews but it looked worse than the better APSC sensors once pushed even slightly - maybe default is slightly cleaner but we all know we're pushing even well exposed images in post for the most part.

I believe it is the 6DII sensor but I guess the tech/build is different, the same sensor doesn't always perform the same in different bodies. It would be plenty enough for me if the DR didn't suck so hard once you rise above ISO 100, I do like to play about with my RAW files

Yeah what I'd seen it got noisy very quickly when pushing the file. Wondering if we watched the same video..

Its only really at base ISOs where it struggles, from around ISO 350 the RP is pretty much the same as the APSC offerings and beats them from 3200 and above..

dr.JPG

Last edited:
Its only really at base ISOs where it struggles, from around ISO 350 the RP is pretty much the same as the APSC offerings and beats them from 3200 and above..

View attachment 270866

I prefer real world samples over these charts though, this shows it pulling ahead at 3200, but take files from both and push them a little in post. I know the H1 files hold up extremely well up to 6400 even with a good push of shadows, from what I've seen you need to really nail your exposures with the RP

Yeah what I'd seen it got noisy very quickly when pushing the file. Wondering if we watched the same video..

Probably, I watched a tonne of vids on it, I wanted it to be great but the more I watched the more I shied away

Nice, wont be cheap.

.... Which is another reason which confirmed my switch to Olympus as the future Canon roadmap was clearly going to be increasingly expensive for me.

Camera looks good, shame the 100-500mm is f/7.1 though. Would have preferred losing 100mm for something like Nikons 200-500mm f/5.6 which would mean using the 1.4x was more viable in less than perfect light.

.... I hadn't noticed the F/7.1 limitation - That's not impressive. Best to see what the more reliable reviewers have to say after it's been tested in the real world.

Bit disappointed with the telezoom they have announced. f7.1 seriously!? what were they thinking.

the R5 looks very nice though. if they manage to catch up on the dynamic range I may even switch.

Bit disappointed with the telezoom they have announced. f7.1 seriously!? what were they thinking.

the R5 looks very nice though. if they manage to catch up on the dynamic range I may even switch.

Better have lots of money for glass.

So animal af, not specifically animal eye af.
Thought I read eye af for birds somewhere.
All sounds wonderful but I bet its going to be pricey.

.... I think I read AF eye for birds as well - I think Canon said that the system would accommodate both eyes and turned bodies.

Of course "it's going to be pricey"! Sophisticated camera features always come at a cost. I'm glad I'm on the Olympus Pro roadmap now though from a cost point of view.

.... I think I read AF eye for birds as well - I think Canon said that the system would accommodate both eyes and turned bodies.

Of course "it's going to be pricey"! Sophisticated camera features always come at a cost. I'm glad I'm on the Olympus Pro roadmap now though from a cost point of view.

Not really, Sony had those sophisticated features years ago. Look at how cheap an a9 is now. Under 2k used.

Not really, Sony had those sophisticated features years ago. Look at how cheap an a9 is now. Under 2k used.

thats the thing. i really like the rf system. but if the R5 is much more than the a9 it makes it a harder proposition.

thats the thing. i really like the rf system. but if the R5 is much more than the a9 it makes it a harder proposition.

apart from the 24-105 and RF35 the rest of the lenses are rather expensive at the moment :(
not to mention used market barely exists!

.... And pray what is the point of comparing the price of the latest Canon R5, which in fact to date is still unknown, with a used camera such as a Sony A9?

Don't you know that ALL camera brands drop substantially in price when secondhand or used?

Besides which, Sony lenses aren't exactly cheap as chips are they and a camera is no good without a decent lens.

Are you by any chance a Sony shooter?

Back