Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Was really tempted by the R6 but I thought this would be coming in nearer a7III pricing, particularly as the grip is a necessity if you want decent battery life.

Love the f11 lenses though, bonkers that they accept the 2X TC and still maintain AF.

Was really tempted by the R6 but I thought this would be coming in nearer a7III pricing, particularly as the grip is a necessity if you want decent battery life.

Love the f11 lenses though, bonkers that they accept the 2X TC and still maintain AF.

The battery life will be good, CIPA ratings are usually miles out IME. My RP is CIPA rated 250 shots, I get 850 shots and still have a decent amount of battery life left, the new batteries are even bigger. Sony A7iii rated 700, I got well over double that.

Last edited:
*up to 8 stops - this is just a claim until proven really. I think the Olympus Em1x claims 7.5 and I'd believe it as it's a lot easier to work an IBIS system with a smaller sensor, but 8 stops FF would be extremely impressive

*up to 8 stops - this is just a claim until proven really. I think the Olympus Em1x claims 7.5 and I'd believe it as it's a lot easier to work an IBIS system with a smaller sensor, but 8 stops FF would be extremely impressive

Doubt they can make that claim unless its proven. 8 stops is probably with a IS lens? Even if that is the case its impressive.

Doubt they can make that claim unless its proven. 8 stops is probably with a IS lens? Even if that is the case its impressive.

It will definitely be in tandem with lens OIS, but these claims have been made in the past [Panasonic/Olympus] and though they are still better at IBIS than the rest, it's not always quite as incredible as they initially claim. I wonder what the rating is then when using non OIS lenses on the R5/6?

Can't see them being very good for any kind of dimly lit or night sports, unless these cameras are insanely good at extreme ISO settings - even for wildlife you're going to want the weather well on side

Can't see them being very good for any kind of dimly lit or night sports, unless these cameras are insanely good at extreme ISO settings - even for wildlife you're going to want the weather well on side
On the face of it a max f11 lens is IMO very odd....................even at high ISO you will still want some decent light.

As mentioned above, I will be interested to know what "real world" testing shows and not just in bright sunlight situations!

Peter mackinnons user review are out for both, he is an canon ambassador so may be slightly more biased.

in body stabilisation looks very good.

his only real issue is over heating, said the R5 over heated a few times when shooting 8k.

one thing I didnt know if he was correct or not about was he said the 20fps was in live view mode

Peter mackinnons user review are out for both, he is an canon ambassador so may be slightly more biased.

in body stabilisation looks very good.

his only real issue is over heating, said the R5 over heated a few times when shooting 8k.

one thing I didnt know if he was correct or not about was he said the 20fps was in live view mode

Not really surprising, most bodies cant even cope with 4k.

Internal Raw capture of its 8K/30p footage or full-width 4K at up to 120p, with 10-bit 4:2:2 recording and full AF in all modes. The 8K is the most striking detail. This will be offers in a choice of internal Raw capture or 10-bit 4:2:2 H.265 modes. The 8K footage comes from the whole width of the sensor, as does its DCI 4K output .

Thats some serious horsepower

Last edited:
I mainly shoot Landscapes but I also shoot a bit of everything so I think the R6 is an ideal Camera for me to upgrade to FF. I don't really see the point in upgrading to FF DSLR with EF Lenses.

The R6 has the same Sensor as the 1DXIII which has a Dynamic Range of 14.5 Evs

And yet, we know some will moan "only 20mp???" as if it's the most significant spec. Amazing sensor by all accounts and this looks a phenomenal camera, probably much more like Canon should have come with in the first wave but it's never too late. In fact, could be good timing, I know some SOny and Nikon users with itchy feet and money to burn

You swapping back for those f1.2 primes? :D

Narh, 45mp wedding files is ridiculous and 21mp files is a little low.

Besides the fact that it is cost prohibitive and the RF L glass are massive.

An A7R3 for landscapes is still on the cards.

Narh, 45mp wedding files is ridiculous and 21mp files is a little low.

Besides the fact that it is cost prohibitive and the RF L glass are massive.

An A7R3 for landscapes is still on the cards.

Don't you shoot with the sigma 35 f1. 2 and 105 f1.4?

Back