Canon EOS R Series Cameras

The RF looks great, the system needs more lenses before I’ll show any interest (y)

RF has most lenses I care about. Can even adapt teleprimes with native like AF performance, could never afford those on Sony.

In fact it has lenses that Sony don't and has the best 85mm prime which is my most used prime.

The lens missing is a 24GM equivalent.

All in all I am mostly sold.

At moment I am really hoping tamron and sigma support RF soon. If I switch I'd really miss the tamron 70-180mm tbh.

It's a given. The market is way to big for them to ignore, 3rd party are best served by having their fingers in all the pies.

RF has most lenses I care about. Can even adapt teleprimes with native like AF performance, could never afford those on Sony.

In fact it has lenses that Sony don't and has the best 85mm prime which is my most used prime.

The lens missing is a 24GM equivalent.
Not really, it has some of the best glass available in EF until rf replacements come along.
I don’t want to use adapted, although to be fair the EF-EOSR adapter is the best of the lot as it’s not that big and won’t shift the weight forward much.

I don’t want to use adapted, although to be fair the EF-EOSR adapter is the best of the lot as it’s not that big and won’t shift the weight forward much.

It's tiny and weighs nothing, it's basically a bit of aluminium with some contacts. And this is the bulky version with programmable ring.

Top.jpg

Well for one Tele prime I'd put up with it since most of the weight will be supported by the lens collar.

It's tiny and weighs nothing, it's basically a bit of aluminium with some contacts. And this is the bulky version with programmable ring.

Top.jpg
Yep, as I said pretty small.

Nah, it’s about the size of the camera hence the name of the website, if there were lined up on the sensor plane it would be harder to compare the overall size at a glance (y)
That’s purely an opinion too ;)

back to back the r6 and 6dII with the same lens look v similar, but when you line up the sensor (and subsequently the front of the lens) it becomes really obvious that the 6d is a lot smaller in real world use.

you mean Northrups?
they probably forgot to charge it :p

She mentioned video, least efficient energy conversion is to heat and we know video in certain modes makes it overheat fairly quickly. So she probably wasn't wrong that she did the battery in quickly but that's a separate issue to its battery performance for just stills.

Or hey maybe they're wrong again, it's funny if nothing else...

Last edited:
I am not one to care about IBIS or stabilization in general. I never really use more than 2-3 stops because at that point motion blur will ruin the shot anyway. At the same time I always envied the Olympus' IBIS because it seems to allow for some handheld long exposures and now it seems R6 can do this too

If you can get 2-3s on R5 with 15-35mm or 24-105mm that's be truly amazing!!

Last edited:
I am interested to know how the IBIS gets on with non IS lenses such as the 400mm f/5.6L USM, plus does it work in conjunction with third party lenses that have IS such as my 150-600mm Sigma Sport.

Posted this in the previous page. Dpreview said 8 stops RF and 6 stops adapted EF. Third party, Id imagine it would work because IBIS stabilises everything including manual lenses which have no contacts.

Last edited:
I am not one to care about IBIS or stabilization in general. I never really use more than 2-3 stops because at that point motion blur will ruin the shot anyway. At the same time I always envied the Olympus' IBIS because it seems to allow for some handheld long exposures and now it seems R6 can do this too

If you can get 2-3s on R5 with 15-35mm or 24-105mm that's be truly amazing!!

From a user on FM

3 seconds handheld on the 24-70 2.8 adapted EF @ 24mm

So he says RF lens with IS 8 stops
non IS RF lenses 6.5 stops
adapted EF lenses with IS 6 stops

Nowhere does he say about adapted non IS lenses as if it were the same as an RF lens with no IS you would just turn IS off on the lens and gain half a stop.

Or did I miss something in the video?

So he says RF lens with IS 8 stops
non IS RF lenses 6.5 stops
adapted EF lenses with IS 6 stops

Nowhere does he say about adapted non IS lenses as if it were the same as an RF lens with no IS you would just turn IS off on the lens and gain half a stop.

Or did I miss something in the video?

The shorter the focal length and if its a prime, the better the handholding / ibis, thats why the 70-200 EF IS wont stabilise as well as the IBIS only RF 50 prime he mentioned. Also, he said different lenses will provide different results which is expected so you might need to wait till someone uses your specific combo.

Keep an eye on FM forums or ask someone there to test the combo if they have it.

Last edited:
On my K-1 I get 3 stops with the IBIS and 150-450mm. I would be happy with that on thr R5/6 especially when using the 1.4x but hopefully Canon have done better.

DPR seem confident its the best IBIS system on any FF including the Panasonic so hopefully. If I see any other info Ill let you know.

DPR seem confident its the best IBIS system on any FF including the Panasonic so hopefully. If I see any other info Ill let you know.
Panasonic isn't that much better than Sony/Nikon IME. It's optimised better be smooth for videos but for shooting stills handheld it's about half stop better if that. Anyway not a difference I'd worry about and more importantly wasn't good enough to give me handheld 2+s exposures. If canon can do that it opens up very nice opportunities in places for me where I can't take or have space to use tripods.

I've never really worried about IS as even if I can take a picture handheld steadily enough the world doesn't stop moving just because me and the camera have stopped so the occasions I'd want to use long exposures handheld would be limited to occasions I can't quite think of at the moment.

Good luck to those who find a use for it though :D

I've never really worried about IS as even if I can take a picture handheld steadily enough the world doesn't stop moving just because me and the camera have stopped so the occasions I'd want to use long exposures handheld would be limited to occasions I can't quite think of at the moment.

From what I have seen on the Sony thread you rarely use anything but 35mm lenses which to be fair don't normally need any form of IS/IBIS anyway.
IS on long lenses makes a lot of difference.

From what I have seen on the Sony thread you rarely use anything but 35mm lenses which to be fair don't normally need any form of IS/IBIS anyway.
IS on long lenses makes a lot of difference.

I use from 17-800mm equiv with my Sony and Panasonic cameras. To me it's less a focal length issue than a time issue as IS isn't going to help me one bit if the subject is going to move under its own power or in the air. That's what drives the settings for me.

IS will help things like low light interior pictures when any movement of people is irrelevant or even an advantage, stuff like church interiors, silky water shots etc and can potentially help a little with what I take a lot of pictures of, flowers and leaves and other close up stuff but even then shutter speeds of 1/xx are potentially of limited use as no matter how still me and the camera are the thing I'm taking a picture of is likely to move in any even hardly perceptible movement of the air in the natural world.

FYI my picture talking is usually limited to four things, people either posed or moving relatively slowly requiring a shutter speed of maybe 1/xx-250, flowers and other detail requiring a shutter speed of anything from 1/xx - 1/xxxx depending on the weather and conditions, scenic pictures which are possibly going to include things which may move in the breeze and will require 1/xx-1/xxx and lastly and less frequently pictures of wildlife like birds and squirrels which may require 1/xxx - 1/xxxx. With some scenic and wild things pictures I do sometimes use longer lenses and will very probably be using a faster shutter speed so again IS is of some but limited use as the deciding factor is still the shutter speed required not so much by the focal length but by the speed at which the target moves.

So, lovely though cutting edge IS is I mostly don't need it myself but as I said good luck to those who have a use for it.

PS.
I probably shouldn't have commented in a Canon thread but hey ho. I just thought that although cutting edge IS sounds great I personally don't have a lot of use for it.

Last edited:
If any one cares about technical details about R5 sensor and it's noise reduction at base ISO there is some info here:

Posted by the same person as that maintains photonstophotos.

Looks like canon is baking RAWs at lower ISO by applying noise reduction to gain about 2/3rd stop advantage in dynamic range.

As I suspected compared to sony sensors it may mean less details but how much this will be noticeable is still up for debate I guess.

If any one cares about technical details about R5 sensor and it's noise reduction at base ISO there is some info here:

Posted by the same person as that maintains photonstophotos.

Looks like canon is baking RAWs at lower ISO by applying noise reduction to gain about 2/3rd stop advantage in dynamic range.

As I suspected compared to sony sensors it may mean less details but how much this will be noticeable is still up for debate I guess.

Sony does exactly the same thing but with lens corrections in RAW.

It's not just allowing you to go low on the ss for stills, I've found ibis really beneficial for using old lenses, 200F4 vintage for example, really steadies your composition. I don't shoot all that much at longer ss but I still appreciate ibis a heck of a lot for times like this. Even using an 85mm on apsc, which I am at the moment, composing the shot is so much smoother.

Can be turned off completely which is not possible on canon R5. And as far as I know lens correction don't induce NR.

I'm pretty sure that lightroom reads the raw lens bake and applies automatically according to the lens profile. C1 doesn't. So is the R5 baking only in lr/acr or is the noise reduction in all raw software?

And I didn't mean they induce NR, I meant is one form of baking/auto correction worse than the other.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that lightroom reads the raw lens bake and applies automatically according to the lens profile. C1 doesn't. So is the R5 baking only in lr/acr or is the noise reduction in all raw software?

And I didn't mean they induce NR, I meant is one form of baking/auto correction worse than the other.

That's the point R5 is baking in NR in all RAW and can't be turned off. Software doesn't matter and doesn't matter even if you turn it off in camera settings. You can read the above dpreview forum post and Bill Chaffs finding on this matter.

This supposedly gives canon R5 about 2/3 stops advantage in photographic dynamic range but at the cost of details (not sure to what extent as graphs can't measure this).
Having done the tests myself with dpreviews RAW I can't tell the difference between A7RIV & R5 in terms of details. So perhaps it's negligible but I don't know for sure yet.

I imagine what canon is doing is some clever noise reduction in shadows using hardware measurements instead. So I reckon you'll mostly not notice the difference but I'll am keeping my eyes peeled for more samples and tests.

p.s. this is not new for example some older canons do this and Pentax K1ii does it (a LOT) but so far it was always at high ISOs to show better noise control. This is the first time it's been done at base ISO in this way for better dynamic range.

Last edited:
That's the point R5 is baking in NR in all RAW and can't be turned off. Software doesn't matter and doesn't matter even if you turn it off in camera settings. You can read the above dpreview forum post and Bill Chaffs finding on this matter.

This supposedly gives canon R5 about 2/3 stops advantage in photographic dynamic range but at the cost of details (not sure to what extent as graphs can't measure this).
Having done the tests myself with dpreviews RAW I can't tell the difference between A7RIV & R5 in terms of details. So perhaps it's negligible but I don't know for sure yet.

I imagine what canon is doing is some clever noise reduction in shadows using hardware measurements instead. So I reckon you'll mostly not notice the difference but I'll am keeping my eyes peeled for more samples and tests.

Interesting. It's good you've taken the time to do the comparison on a real life image instead of graph though :clap:

Gerald measured the DR at less than the A73 in video mode not sure if that equates the same as in stills though
Pretty much identical but at iso 400 the 5r has a peak that shows a 1 stop advantage.

Last edited:
In fairness, Canon aren't the only cameras to overheat.

How about this:

Also the "recall" gossip has been proved false so .......

Maybe it's just a downside of mixing video with stills ? But what do I know? I never shoot video :oops: :$

Last edited:
Back