Canon EOS R Series Cameras

OK. First daft question incoming:D

Besides using the Q menu, and customising a button specifically for it (as all of mine are being used for other options in daily use)
Can anyone share their methods of how they go about changing the drive modes please?

I’ve tried this method (linked below) on the canon site, and I can’t get it to work for love nor money...

My MFN button is still on its default setting. So I have no idea as to why I can’t get it to work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I use the MFn button.....

Press MFn... Use top rear dial to rotate to the drive mode. Then use the top front dial to select the one you want.

Is it that the drive modes are not there as an option? I think it is possible to edit the options.

Edit: If you go into customise buttons, you can select dial functions for MFn and then press Info to select 5 different options - perhaps you have drive mode not set as an option.

Last edited:
I use the MFn button.....

Press MFn... Use top rear dial to rotate to the drive mode. Then use the top front dial to select the one you want.

Is it that the drive modes are not there as an option? I think it is possible to edit the options.

Edit: If you go into customise buttons, you can select dial functions for MFn and then press Info to select 5 different options - perhaps you have drive mode not set as an option.

Thanks very much for the reply.

I’ll try it as you’ve explained here, and see if that makes any difference.

It just seems strange that the method shown in the link by canon doesn’t work. As I haven’t altered the function of that button from default...

Have had eos R for some time now and think it’s a fine thing, within it’s limits. Time now to move on to improved AF and ergonomics of newer jobby and was all ready to buy an R5 but it occurred to me, would an R6 do?

Budget can meet either but in terms of value I could add an rf 28-70 to the R6 for only little more than bare R5. Which is nice...Clearly my concern is lower res sensor of R6 but hey, 20mp is OK right..?

Anyone compared the two and found either the R6 wanting, or the R5 to be in another league IQ wise for instance?

Hi there

I have both and can't tell the difference in the images

unless you're seriously cropping or pixel peeping of course

I'd agree that, as you suspect, you'd be better sinking in the difference in cost in to good glass

Unless of course you can see yourself using the super duper video formats

Dave

Last edited:

I'd agree that, as you suspect, you'd be better sinking in the difference in cost in to good glass

Dave
And I must confess that I use both card slots in the R6 but cannot bring myself to spend the money to buy a CFExpress card for the R5

how much!!!

Dave

Honest and realistic (y)

Last edited:
Hi there

Dave
Hi Dave. Do you shoot any sport with them?

Hi there

Dave
Cheers for that. I assume that for sport, birds, aeroplanes etc. they’re pretty much the same from af perspective?

Gone for the R6. While the idea of it is nice, I wasn't convinced I need the 45mp (or file sizes) of the 5.

R6 images look absolutely fine to me, despite being a 'drop down' i count from the R and X-T3.

I defo prefer the PASM dial over lcd screen/push button & dial in selection and it is a big cost saving. 2 SD slots is a bonus :)

I have to say I wish Canon would hurry up and add the R5 to the tryout program. Although I'm a Nikon shooter I'm itching to try the R5 out for a few days to see what it's really like. I was hoping to borrow one but the chap has sold his so can't.

Hi Dave. Do you shoot any sport with them?

I have yet to really use them in anger to be honest

but they both do a really fine job of keeping up with my spaniel and the eye AF is all I'd hoped for

mainly landscape me and had been using an SR and a iv (which I need to sell TBH)

I love the resolution on the SR and I can't resist pixel peeping really

but you'll make a bigger difference moving 3" to the left or 3' closer to the subject

X

Gone for the R6. While the idea of it is nice, I wasn't convinced I need the 45mp (or file sizes) of the 5.

R6 images look absolutely fine to me, despite being a 'drop down' i count from the R and X-T3.

I defo prefer the PASM dial over lcd screen/push button & dial in selection and it is a big cost saving. 2 SD slots is a bonus :)

and I do much prefer the PASM dial too

Well I got an email telling me they estimate my adapter should be delivered on 26th Jan. Glad I had bought one anyway :)

Not had much chance to do any proper bird photography with my new R5 over the last couple of weeks, but I've been testing it with my range of EF lenses and have been impressed with the Eye AF on humans and small garden birds. I did however point it skyward last evening with my EF 400 DO F4 ii + 1.4TC iii attached:

Sharpen AI-7.jpg

Russ

I Still Don't understand whats the hold up with the Canon Control ring adapter is I still canon get my hands on one in this County without paying over the odds of eBay ?

I feel your pain. I've been trying to get a standard adapter for a while but no joy. Really warmed to my EOS R and could do with trying some of my old EF lenses.

In general I'm finding the colours I'm getting to be the nicest and easiest I've worked with. My only negative is that the USB cable stops the floppy screen tilting when tethered. Don't like flippy screens much but otherwise it's a very nice little camera.

What did you have before?
Currently using EOS R, 5D iii and Fuji X-T3.

Loving the animal focus finding finches eyes while hiding behind branches 20 metres away and in what feels like near dark weather today. However, all round as a working tool it's a terrific piece of kit. Feels great in the hand, back to three dials (4 with adapter), usual customisations, no stupid 'multifunction' bar. Want to get out and take some pctures now!

Hi there Jonathan

not to sure of the forum rules and how to progress this

I bought something of the for sale thread and got told off for not doing it right

happy to sell the 135 and 16-35 here and to progress via PM if this complies with forum rules

have been meaning to raise a listing on the for sale thread for the last 6 months but not got round to it

much better at buying than selling me

Dave

Just had email from WEX, My Canon RF 70-200mm F4L IS is now in stock. This lens was meant to be delayed till spring due to production problems. So I’m happy to be getting it much sooner.

Well my adapter arrived on Monday. I now have two. I will probably keep them both but I'm tempted to ebay it as they seem to be very popular at the moment.:D

Is the short supply due to peeps just sticking one on every EF lens they own instead of buying RF glass. Before the R5/6 there used to be lots of them around. so just goes to show the popularity of these new cameras

As I said now I have RF bodies and glass I have a few items which I now have no use for

and I was one of those who bought an adapter for each of most of my EF lenses

I will post to the Canon thread in the for sale area tomorrow at 2pm

Dave

Well my adapter arrived on Monday. I now have two. I will probably keep them both but I'm tempted to ebay it as they seem to be very popular at the moment.:D
My adapter was due today (coming from Canon EU apparently) - UPS have emailed me to say there will be a delivery delay "due to a BREXIT related disruption" (their capitals). Good job I bought one weeks ago! But why is it coming from the EU and not from Canon UK??

Russ

I guess with all the issues now at customs, imports from anywhere to our isolated island will be affected, not just the EU. I don't know if it's Brexit or what but I've noticed some common food items are also harder to get

Before anyone succumbs to rip-off used prices, there are plenty of 3rd party available for around £50. I can't imagine they're that complex to make.

Last edited:
I guess with all the issues now at customs, imports from anywhere to our isolated island will be affected, not just the EU. I don't know if it's Brexit or what but I've noticed some common food items are also harder to get

Before anyone succumbs to rip-off used prices, there are plenty of 3rd party available for around £50. I can't imagine they're that complex to make.

It's a disaster. We've had to totally stop accepting orders from Europe as our customers are being charged clearance fees and import charges even when there is no duty to be paid. An order to France for £200 just incurred €84 fees (€66 government charges + €15 UPS charges + €3 TVA).

Back