Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Well, to a certain extent I have been taking the exact same shot with and without filters to try and assess if it's just my imagination.
My initial feelings are still, There is a loss of contrast and AF is not as precise.
And as I said earlier, without a lens hood the filters cause flare with side lighting. I'm guessing I see this as the front element on the 85 1.2 sits back in the barrel whereas the filter is way up front.
Interesting, I've never seen that as I always use the lens hood, even the tiny one on the 15-35

I used to have the 28-70 but sold it after I bought the 50mm f1.2
I found myself constantly reaching for the prime. The intention was to get the 85mm as well but stock is sparse at the moment.

Quality lens though :)

I thought about this but I was used to swinging a 2 5d4's one with a sigma 35 and a 85 1.2 around. It's only 200g heavier than the 5d4/85 1.2. Plus I'm 6ft 2 and 16 stone lol
Have a salad:LOL:

That's it. I'm buying a 28-70 this week.
I'm tired of waiting for the 100-500 to be in stock.

Hi there!
I started photography over 3 years ago and I have an Canon1300d + 18-55mm iii and an 24mm f/2,8 and an 50mm f/1,8 and I'm thinking on switching cameras and the Canon EOS RP + RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM is on the row (for around 1 109,99 € (i'm checking out 250€ for the selling of the 1300d + 18-55mm iii)) or the Canon EOS 90D + 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ( for around 1 219,99 € (i'm checking out 250€ for the selling of the 1300d + 18-55mm iii))

I mainly to street photography (not videos at all), landscape, architecture and size and weight are not a factor for me! What do you guys think?

Canon R5 and RF 100-500mm. Taken in appalling rain. However, I like that "its" staring straight at the camera

51025516761_250e3fd6da_k.jpg

Used R5 for sale at LCE if anyone interested

Used R5 for sale at LCE if anyone interested

I noticed Panamoz had them this morning with an adapter for £3280 ... thought that was pretty decent price.

I noticed Panamoz had them this morning with an adapter for £3280 ... thought that was pretty decent price.
Agree Panamoz is cheaper than the UK and has 3 year UK based warranty. But I know some prefer UK dealers.

If anyone is thinking about trying the 48hr test drive, I've just changed my original hire dates to over the Easter weekend as they've now included extra days 'free'. This means delivery on 1 April, 4 full days use and collection on 6th. Thought that was pretty good. There are also other 'free' additional dates dotted throughout the availability calendar, often around Bank Holidays.
I had originally booked to tie in with some motorsport, but that has been declared spectator free. .....again.

For those following such things how has the price moved since launch please and also the price differential between the R5 and R6

If anyone is thinking about trying the 48hr test drive, I've just changed my original hire dates to over the Easter weekend as they've now included extra days 'free'. This means delivery on 1 April, 4 full days use and collection on 6th. Thought that was pretty good. There are also other 'free' additional dates dotted throughout the availability calendar, often around Bank Holidays.
I had originally booked to tie in with some motorsport, but that has been declared spectator free. .....again.
I have an R6 and 24-105mm F4L coming this weekend. They've just phoned me up to ask if they can deliver a day early.

Last edited:
For those following such things how has the price moved since launch please and also the price differential between the R5 and R6
Not exactly following but they’re both steadily dropping.

I said flippantly at launch that I’d get an R6 when it dropped under £2k and I’ve just checked Panamoz: £2010, I’d best start sorting everything else out.

_20A0057.JPG

This beauty starting hissing at me! We had been throwing bird seed leftover from a Slimbridge trip [not bread, never bread...} so it seemed a tad intolerant! :D

Having owned an 5DII since it was introduced I decided it was time for an upgrade and I pre-ordered an R6 when it was first announced last year based on the fact that I mainly shoot landscapes and it's recommendation as being great in low light conditions sounded ideal for my style of image. It arrived bang on time and I've been really happy with the results I have been able to achieve during a pandemic. However, during bad weather and snow I feel much more uncomfortable about using the camera in wet conditions.. it doesn't feel particularly robust when it comes to weather sealing in comparison with the EF lenses I'm using (and the RF 70-200). I'm currently wondering if I should upgrade to the R5 which, from some research, it is claimed to be better sealed than the R6. Does anyone have any experience of using either in very wet conditions? My old 5DII worked brilliantly in some very tough weather and I don't want to worry about getting my camera out - just want to worry about getting a good shot :).

Following my earlier post and some useful advice from the people on here I bit the bullet and an R5 dropped through the door on Monday - ooooops! Consequently, I have listed my R6 for sale in the Classifieds if anyone is looking to buy a hardly used SH model.

122A2867 copy2.jpg

I asked the question the other day whether I would be blown away by the R6 coming from my 40D. Well I received my test drive unit yesterday and I have to say I was completely an utterly blown away! I would have never in a million years dreamed of taking this photo with my 40D indoors of a subject that does not stay still. I would have had a million goes to get something and ultimately come away never really sure whether I have something even remotely exposed or in focus. The animal tracking and Eye AF just seem incredible, as does the ability of the sensor in low light that I actually have some confidence in what I'm going to get out of the camera without having a lot of goes. I still have a lot to learn here, but with this camera, I really want to learn it.

Last edited:
I was really chuffed to see this male hen harrier this morning - huge crop! Taken on the EF 100-400ii with the 1.4 extender. I was wishing I had that 100-500!!

I had borrowed a friend's battery grip to try out (on the R5) and I think it is not for me. I find the button placement just a little further reach and the whole thing a bit too big and heavy. Ah well, he has saved me a few quid!

20210320-BCR_5396_2.jpg20210320-BCR_5390_1-1.jpg

Testing the R6 earlier with my adapted 70-300 IS USM earlier. It works, although the autofocus is noticeably slower as I expected. I also can't achieve the maximum speed in burst mode (again expected). What I didn't expect was that, even though the shutter isn't at full speed, there's a noticeable blackout in the viewfinder. Is this normal, caused by the lens or a setting that I am missing?

Testing the R6 earlier with my adapted 70-300 IS USM earlier. It works, although the autofocus is noticeably slower as I expected. I also can't achieve the maximum speed in burst mode (again expected). What I didn't expect was that, even though the shutter isn't at full speed, there's a noticeable blackout in the viewfinder. Is this normal, caused by the lens or a setting that I am missing?
Have you turned off the image review?

Back