Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Very odd. This has a higher write speed (up to 1500) than my Agfa (1200). I tried again. Fastest mode, mechanical shutter. I go over 100 frames and no buffering and no issues navigating menus or previews afterwards. Check you have latest firmware?

Even odder! I will check again in the morning, I left it in the office! I recall it was in JPEG mode too, but still that shouldnt add much! I definitly recall when I half press the shutter button, it shows up the remainders, and it definitly was about 25 or 30.

Ordered a Canon R5 from Panamoz, was a no brainer seeing as the price has dropped down to £3090 body only when it was £3390 last week.

Even odder! I will check again in the morning, I left it in the office! I recall it was in JPEG mode too, but still that shouldnt add much! I definitly recall when I half press the shutter button, it shows up the remainders, and it definitly was about 25 or 30.
Nope it is JPEG and RAW but still... not great. Got the dreaded flashing light for the camera overheating too today, after doing some 4K 60!

Nope it is JPEG and RAW but still... not great. Got the dreaded flashing light for the camera overheating too today, after doing some 4K 60!
send it back? I've never had that with 4K either and only once with 8K.

Went away to Wales last week to discover both of my batteries were flat and I had forgotten the battery charger. I thought to myself, not a problem I have my phone charger. However, I very quickly discovered that any old USB-A to USB-C cable and charger will cut it. Turns out most usb cables in supermarkets don't even give information on what standard they are. Eventually I found a Curry's and got a USB-C to USB-C cable with a 30w charger which although it seemed extortionate did at least work and considerably cheaper than the Canon option...

Does anyone know what the minimum requirements are to charge the R6? There were cheaper options for chargers and cables that could only handle 12W or 20W. Is there a USB-A to USB-C capable of charging the R6 or is it USB-C to C only? The Canon Accessories give absolutely no details on their website of what spec they are.

I'm no expert but i think USB-C is capable of handling much more current than A or B types however I don't think all C type cables /adapters are capable of super high current delivery unless stated by the manufacturer so beware the bargain basement.

I'm no expert but i think USB-C is capable of handling much more current than A or B types however I don't think all C type cables /adapters are capable of super high current delivery unless stated by the manufacturer so beware the bargain basement.
I think you are right that it has to be USB-C. I can tell you that a USB-C cable capable of 60W and 30W Charger is enough to charge. I would be interested in getting lower wattage chargers and seeing at what point it stops charging.

Went away to Wales last week to discover both of my batteries were flat and I had forgotten the battery charger. I thought to myself, not a problem I have my phone charger. However, I very quickly discovered that any old USB-A to USB-C cable and charger will cut it. Turns out most usb cables in supermarkets don't even give information on what standard they are. Eventually I found a Curry's and got a USB-C to USB-C cable with a 30w charger which although it seemed extortionate did at least work and considerably cheaper than the Canon option...

Does anyone know what the minimum requirements are to charge the R6? There were cheaper options for chargers and cables that could only handle 12W or 20W. Is there a USB-A to USB-C capable of charging the R6 or is it USB-C to C only? The Canon Accessories give absolutely no details on their website of what spec they are.
I use the MacBook charger which seems to be OK! Also got one of those Amazon USB chargers too for £9 that lives in the camera bag, which chargers the battery directly. Not too down for charging in-camera, as I have one of those rubber protectives on, it's a bit of a pain taking it on and off you know!

Firmware Version 1.4 now available for R5 and R6. It contains some useful improvements for stills as well as video. For those into bird photography, this video from "Whistling Wings" explains the improvements for birds-in-flight shots:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJgTQ2JeUt4&t=5s

Russ

Canon R5 is en route for delivery Tuesday, super quick service from Panamoz.

Just wished the UPS tracking was more efficient :p

I thought I’d ask if anyone uses or has experience of the 300mm f4 EF lens with a R5 or R6? Tempted with the R6 or R5 but lack of faster RF telephoto lens option has made me think of potential adapted EF options of around f4. Id rather keep to f4 rather than a lens like the 100-400 which is f5.6 at the long end. I’ve been missing the faster f4 lenses I used to have.

Panamoz had it for under 3k a few weeks ago, I cantacted them about doing a better price with the adapter and they quoted £3040.
Wonder why prices fluctuate so much? I paid £3200 for the R5 and the adaptor and it's now £60 cheaper just 4 days later.

I thought I’d ask if anyone uses or has experience of the 300mm f4 EF lens with a R5 or R6? Tempted with the R6 or R5 but lack of faster RF telephoto lens option has made me think of potential adapted EF options of around f4. Id rather keep to f4 rather than a lens like the 100-400 which is f5.6 at the long end. I’ve been missing the faster f4 lenses I used to have.
Hey Rob, I'm loving my EF tele's with the R5 - 200/2, 300/2.8, 400/2.8, and 600/4. I have Canon's RF to EF adapter and there is no impact on performance. At this point, I see no reason to switch to RF lenses. That makes me happy as it's why I hung on with the Canon system so long.

Firmware Version 1.4 now available for R5 and R6. It contains some useful improvements for stills as well as video. For those into bird photography, this video from "Whistling Wings" explains the improvements for birds-in-flight shots:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJgTQ2JeUt4&t=5s

Russ
I agree I think it's a bit better, or maybe I'm more practiced. For the first assignment post firmware update, af was 100% for c. 1400 frames. Not one single frame was not usable.

Hey Rob, I'm loving my EF tele's with the R5 - 200/2, 300/2.8, 400/2.8, and 600/4. I have Canon's RF to EF adapter and there is no impact on performance. At this point, I see no reason to switch to RF lenses. That makes me happy as it's why I hung on with the Canon system so long.
That’s good to know. I wouldn’t be in the market for the exotic primes hence looking at the 300mm f4 as I’d prefer a f4 aperture option as I often photograph wildlife at sunrise. I loved the IQ of the 300 f2.8 and 200-400 I had with Nikon a few years ago but I don’t photograph wildlife enough to justify one at present.

I hired the R6 with the 24-105 and found it felt nice to hold and operate. I moved from Nikon to Sony when neither Nikon or canon had entered the mirrorless market. Ikind of miss the slightly larger body ergonomics.

My plan would be to pair a R6 (or maybe R5 if I could push the budget that far) with the 14-35 f4 and 70-200 f4, and get a 300mm f4 EF for the occasions I photograph wildlife. I was initially thinking of the 24-105 f4 but feel the 14-35 f4 may give more options with landscapes with the 70-200 f4.

Last edited:
R6 is also very good, R5 if you will be printing I would think. Lens wise sounds like a good plan assuming you won't miss the 35-70 range, I don't think I would for landscape.

R6 is also very good, R5 if you will be printing I would think. Lens wise sounds like a good plan assuming you won't miss the 35-70 range, I don't think I would for landscape.
The extra MP of the R5 would be nice for cropping wildlife but it’s whether the additional cost is worth it for me. For most of the landscapes I do I either like wide (up to 24mm at present but could probably go wider if I had it) or telephoto 70-200. I don’t seem to like the 35-70 range too much but could allows add a 24-105 at a later date if I found a used one at a good price or maybe a 50mm prime.

I’ve been looking into the Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art lens for my R5, anyone used one?

Would like the RF15-35 but think I’ll just adapt my EF16-35 2.8 II instead.

My plan would be to pair a R6 (or maybe R5 if I could push the budget that far) with the 14-35 f4 and 70-200 f4, and get a 300mm f4 EF for the occasions I photograph wildlife. I was initially thinking of the 24-105 f4 but feel the 14-35 f4 may give more options with landscapes with the 70-200 f4.
I just got the 70-200F4 and it is an astonishing little lens. Its just perfect for walking around with. Bitingly sharp as well.

Regards...

I just got the 70-200F4 and it is an astonishing little lens. Its just perfect for walking around with. Bitingly sharp as well.

Regards...
All the reviews I’ve read seem to be positive so good to know from a current users perspective too.

At the moment I’m trying to decide if the R6 will be the right choice for me. Cost wise it’s feels the right choice but the R5 for the extra pixels is definitely enticing. It’s just whether they are really worth the extra for me.

Does the in body IS work in addition to the in lens IS of EF lenses?
Will I get extra stops of IS when using these lenses on an R5 ?
Specifically 100mm macro and 300 2.8
I have googled but can’t find a definitive answer

Does the in body IS work in addition to the in lens IS of EF lenses?
Will I get extra stops of IS when using these lenses on an R5 ?
Specifically 100mm macro and 300 2.8
I have googled but can’t find a definitive answer
I found this statement online. :)

With non IS EF lenses you get the 5 axis IBIS doing all the job, giving between 4 to 6 stops depending on the focal length.

With EF OIS lenses, the 5 axis is partially shut down and only does 2 axis of stabilisation and the rest is done with OIS, so you're getting similar results as if you hadn't IBIS.

You only get the dual synchronised IS with RF lenses.

The number of stops depends on the focal length.

With non IS EF lenses you get the 5 axis IBIS doing all the job, giving between 4 to 6 stops depending on the focal length.

With EF OIS lenses, the 5 axis is partially shut down and only does 2 axis of stabilisation and the rest is done with OIS, so you're getting similar results as if you hadn't IBIS.

Any idea if this means it's better to switch off OIS and just use IBIS?

R5 arrived yesterday :banana:
Spent yesterday setting it up for back button focus and so I can switch between automatic eye focus and normal focus
Was way more complicated than I expected toset it up , but that’s just me not being technically minded
Camera is amazing the eye focus does work on some insects even though it’s not designed for that
It works on dragonflies not so well on bees
Spent this morning playing with the focus bracketing thing it takes a sequence of shots very quickly
It’s very easy to take a lot of shots though :rolleyes:
The focus bracketing seems to work on my 300 2.8 with 2.0 tc which wasn’t on the list of supported lenses that I saw which is great news
I’ll mainly be using the focus bracketing for butterflies it should be a game changer for me as at the moment I take a series of shots manually

Hi everyone. I have finally got round to fiddling about with the settings on my R5! Anyway I'm trying to get the "best of both worlds" scenario where I can use the back button AF to give me focus (separating AF from the shutter button) but also allowing me to use the star button to switch to eye AF

I followed instructions on this YouTube video,

View: https://youtu.be/-nnRqgXu7QI

The relevant part streets at 10mins 55 secs however I am now finding that I can only use back button focus with the EF button (which works normally)and when I try to use the star button to switch to I focus it will not allow me to do it.

When I look at the AF settings menu it seems to suggest that I can only do this if the tracking option is enabled. This makes perfect sense to me and I can't work out how it cold be different.

Can anyone tell me how this chap managed to get the two buttons working in the way that he did?

Thank you
Hi Wooster
Hope you got sorted?
I just got an R6 on test drive for the weekend and followed that video and it works perfectly for me.
so firstly; thanks for posting the video, it saved me some Googling, and secondly, shout up if you still haven’t sorted it. :)

Back