Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Just ordered an R6 just got to get a Canon ef-eos r mount adapter are they easier to get hold of now .looking forward to trying the eye Af out

Just ordered an R6 just got to get a Canon ef-eos r mount adapter are they easier to get hold of now .looking forward to trying the eye Af out

Don't think so, if anything they are harder to find.

If I didn't know any better I would swear Canon aren't producing them on purpose so people buy RF mount lenses.

As a side note I notice Panamoz have the R5 for under 3k now.

Don't think so, if anything they are harder to find.

If I didn't know any better I would swear Canon aren't producing them on purpose so people buy RF mount lenses.

As a side note I notice Panamoz have the R5 for under 3k now.

There are plenty of them. You just have to look...

Amazon and Park from that list.

Also here

Regards...

If anyone is looking for a EF-EOS R mount adapter I have just posted one for sale in Classifieds.

Finding that face & eye AF on the R6 is a god send for candid photography - with my Nikon Z6 I just miss so many shots trying to move the focus spot to the right part of the frame by which time it's too late and it's often not framed great!! It really has me considering changing some of my Nikon Z lenses in favour of Canon ones.

Does anybody have any experience with the focus speed of the 85mm f/1.2 L II for moving subjects? Can the AF motor keep up with the action? With the Nikon 85mm f/1.8s the motor can't keep up with a running dog for example - more suited to still portraiture which it does a sterling job of. I'd love the best of both worlds with my 85mm but wonder if the 85mm f/1.2L II / 85mm f/1.2 RF are any better? Perhaps I just need to settle with carrying my 70-200mm in those situations?

Finding that face & eye AF on the R6 is a god send for candid photography - with my Nikon Z6 I just miss so many shots trying to move the focus spot to the right part of the frame by which time it's too late and it's often not framed great!! It really has me considering changing some of my Nikon Z lenses in favour of Canon ones.

Does anybody have any experience with the focus speed of the 85mm f/1.2 L II for moving subjects? Can the AF motor keep up with the action? With the Nikon 85mm f/1.8s the motor can't keep up with a running dog for example - more suited to still portraiture which it does a sterling job of. I'd love the best of both worlds with my 85mm but wonder if the 85mm f/1.2L II / 85mm f/1.2 RF are any better? Perhaps I just need to settle with carrying my 70-200mm in those situations?

The ef 85mm performs better adapted on the r6 than it ever did on a dslr. I’m pretty sure I have a few shots of my kid and dog running that I got with the combo. I’ll see what I can find

Hi everyone. I have finally got round to fiddling about with the settings on my R5! Anyway I'm trying to get the "best of both worlds" scenario where I can use the back button AF to give me focus (separating AF from the shutter button) but also allowing me to use the star button to switch to eye AF

I followed instructions on this YouTube video,

View: https://youtu.be/-nnRqgXu7QI

The relevant part streets at 10mins 55 secs however I am now finding that I can only use back button focus with the EF button (which works normally)and when I try to use the star button to switch to I focus it will not allow me to do it.

When I look at the AF settings menu it seems to suggest that I can only do this if the tracking option is enabled. This makes perfect sense to me and I can't work out how it cold be different.

Can anyone tell me how this chap managed to get the two buttons working in the way that he did?

Thank you

Hi Guys long time since I have been here, I really want to get back into my photography. I have a 5Dmk3 but i'm wondering if the new mirrorless cameras would be better for me. Does anyone know which of the new R cameras has the best dynamic range and which is best in low light?

Thanks

Hi Guys long time since I have been here, I really want to get back into my photography. I have a 5Dmk3 but i'm wondering if the new mirrorless cameras would be better for me. Does anyone know which of the new R cameras has the best dynamic range and which is best in low light?

Thanks
I think the R6 is very good in low light. So long as you can stomach the small step down in resolution, but it is the same sensor as the 1DX MKIII... Could be worth trying the Canon Test Drive service to find out for yourself?

My 1st pic with the R6 it's not too bad but still needs setting up, Feels a bit small I think I need a battery grip had them on my 7dmk2 and 6d but used copies but can't find any for the R6 the Canon one is quite expensive View: https://flic.kr/p/2mdQMPz

Sean
Hi there Sean

I find that with this attached the body feels a lot better in the hand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08K36833D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no desire to add all of the bulk and weight a grip would bring and can easily carry one extra battery

Dave

Thought I would pop my head in here and say hi now that I have taken ownership of a Canon EOS R.

Managed to snag what I thought was a good deal from Ffordes including a free EF to R mount adaptor.
Just need to wait on my lens arriving on Monday.
Tried so hard to find a reasonably priced RF 24-105MM F4 but struggled so ended up with a mint EF 24-105 F4L II in the meantime and will do a switch over at a later date.

I'm excited to be back to full frame again, I loved my Canon 5D2 days so this feels like a welcome return.

On a seperate note can anyone tell me howcto check the shutter count via Windows 10?

Cheers

On a seperate note can anyone tell me howcto check the shutter count via Windows 10?

Cheers
If you have a Flickr page just post a photo and check the exif.

eg
  • Approximate Focus Distance - 23.7
  • Image Number - 11318
  • Lens ID - 174
  • Look Amount - 1
  • Look Copyright - © 2018 Adobe Systems, Inc.
  • Look Group - Profiles
  • Look Name - Adobe Color
  • Look Parameters Camera Profile - Adobe Standard
  • Look Parameters Convert To Grayscale - false

If you have a Flickr page just post a photo and check the exif.

eg
  • Approximate Focus Distance - 23.7
  • Image Number - 11318
  • Lens ID - 174
  • Look Amount - 1
  • Look Copyright - © 2018 Adobe Systems, Inc.
  • Look Group - Profiles
  • Look Name - Adobe Color
  • Look Parameters Camera Profile - Adobe Standard
  • Look Parameters Convert To Grayscale - false
I will give that a try, thanks!

Question for R5 users; how can I turn on the joystick to do the AF points? It seems to be “off” allowing me to only move AF point via he touch screen af point you can move…

Question for R5 users; how can I turn on the joystick to do the AF points? It seems to be “off” allowing me to only move AF point via he touch screen af point you can move…
I think it's in one of the cfn menu for setting button/dials

Hi everyone. I have finally got round to fiddling about with the settings on my R5! Anyway I'm trying to get the "best of both worlds" scenario where I can use the back button AF to give me focus (separating AF from the shutter button) but also allowing me to use the star button to switch to eye AF

I followed instructions on this YouTube video,

View: https://youtu.be/-nnRqgXu7QI

The relevant part streets at 10mins 55 secs however I am now finding that I can only use back button focus with the EF button (which works normally)and when I try to use the star button to switch to I focus it will not allow me to do it.

When I look at the AF settings menu it seems to suggest that I can only do this if the tracking option is enabled. This makes perfect sense to me and I can't work out how it cold be different.

Can anyone tell me how this chap managed to get the two buttons working in the way that he did?

Thank you
I'm pretty sure I watched this video when I first set my R5 up. Set the * button to eye detection AF in the customise buttons menu. (orange menu 3)

I use both buttons. I've tried a few combinations of buttons which was a bit of a test for my memory in the interim, but I think I've come back to the original ones he suggested.

Last edited:
I’ve managed to convince my wife that I need a new camera :banana:and am saving for the R5
The crop version coming out the R7 looks interesting but I now use my 6D 2 more than my 7D2 so will go for the full frame R5

Is anyone using the EF 100 L IS macro with the R5 , what’s the autofocus like ?
What’s it like picking up lower contrast small areas ?
My favourite subject is damselflies and on a DSLR sometimes the autofocus struggles if you try to focus on their tail, obviously I’m pushing the limits on something so small but would be handy if mirrorless autofocus could cope with things like that

My favourite subject is damselflies and on a DSLR sometimes the autofocus struggles if you try to focus on their tail, obviously I’m pushing the limits on something so small but would be handy if mirrorless autofocus could cope with things like that
I believe Kevin @cruso is using that macro lens with his R5.

Russ

Hi Pete as Russ as said I do use the Ef 100 macro lens and its brilliant I am so impressed with quality it is producing although I have not done any in camera stacking with it

Hi Pete as Russ as said I do use the Ef 100 macro lens and its brilliant I am so impressed with quality it is producing although I have not done any in camera stacking with it
Thanks that sounds perfect what’s the autofocus like ?

Last edited:
Amazing Pete you will be blown away i will be honest with you I am thinking of trying out the new rf macro lens but it would have to be good to beat my ef lens it’s the sharpest lens I have ever had ?
Thanks yes the 100m L macro is amazing
I can’t wait to try it on the R5

Test drove the R during the week, can't say it wowed me but still felt good - solid and predictable. I didn't have an issue with the Touch Bar, it was fine, but didn't feel the need to use it either. The R6 is out of bounds, both in size and cost, so now wondering if the RP would do everything the R would, and I'd get a lens with the price difference to boot. I have a canon crop camera already, so that battery would be a spare and solve the power issue, and looking at image comparisons, I can't see much difference in IQ either, if anything the R looks a touch noisier in colour. Both would be a nice step up from what I have now. No doubt I'll probably change my mind again tomorrow!

Does anyone know how Black Friday deals compare with HDEW/Panamoz grey prices typically?

EDIT: I see now while the RAW file comparison look similar, the exposure variance comparison is very different, which better follows the sensor reviews. So maybe the R would be preferred for me.

Last edited:
Does anyone find the R5 buffer fills after about 40 pictures (RAW) and then takes an age? I find that while its saving images, I can't even access the quick menu or make changes? I'm using a CF express card

I’ve not experienced that. I have my camera here to test and I’m getting bored holding the shutter button on High+ and no buffering at all. Also to a CF express card agfaphoto 256 gb.

Back