Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Decided I need to get an R5 soon - so RP is up for sale if anyone wants a spare ! In the Canon section

I wish there was a way to get back to auto iso quickly. Canon, just make it an option to turn the iso dial go past 100 or L to Auto.

I also wish you could switch faces/eyes easier when in back button servo focus.

I've probably done over 100,000 shots with my R6's now and they've been great. Locked up a few times after being on for a while and the rear dial breaking aside they've been great. Definitely not missing the extra resolution at the moment.
Shoot in Fv? Makes it easy to switch any setting back to auto.

The R6 and 24-105 f4 went back to canon yesterday. Overall I was impressed with it. Handling wise it felt very good. The buttons were all in the right places.

I’ve now got to decide if to make the move across. One thing I’ve worked out is I’d be looking at the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 lenses to replace the Sony 24-105 and 100-400 I currently have. I was already thinking of doing more landscape photography as my current wildlife photography is a couple of places a year. Potentially I could get a 300mm f4 EF lens and adapt it if needing over 200mm. Limiting myself to 200mm and concentrating on landscapes the R5 and it’s 45MP sensor may suit me better. It’s a big cost step up to the R5 which I will need to consider too. All in all it’s created more questions than it answered.

The R6 and 24-105 f4 went back to canon yesterday. Overall I was impressed with it. Handling wise it felt very good. The buttons were all in the right places.

I’ve now got to decide if to make the move across. One thing I’ve worked out is I’d be looking at the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 lenses to replace the Sony 24-105 and 100-400 I currently have. I was already thinking of doing more landscape photography as my current wildlife photography is a couple of places a year.

As you are already with Sony wouldn't the a7r IV be a better fit? I imagine it would be an excellent landscape camera and pretty good with the 100-400mm for the odd wildlife shot.

As you are already with Sony wouldn't the a7r IV be a better fit? I imagine it would be an excellent landscape camera and pretty good with the 100-400mm for the odd wildlife shot.
That is an option. The grip is supposed to be better than the A9 but I’m unsure without trying one. Camera size seems to show it not being that much bigger than the A9 (it seems sit somewhere inbetween the A9 and R5/6). Another option is looking at Nikon too but I’m not sure about going back to them.

One of the positives of moving to canon would be the smaller compact lighter canon 70-200 f4. That could be useful as find the 100-400 is too large for carrying for landscapes and started looking at tamron.

At the moment I do two wildlife subjects each year. The first being the deer rut at a local deer park where even 400mm isn’t at times enough, and Red Squirrels where I could photograph at 200mm without too much issue as I’ve down it in the past.

My R5 locked up again on me on Saturday - this time using the ordinary adapter and not the control ring one, and the EF100-400ii lens. It is only for a couple of seconds, but still means I missed an opportunity. Has no-one else had this problem?

I cannot now remember if I was using electronic shutter, (I can probably check in the exif) and it was in H fps, but it is not a case of it being busy and writing to card.

My R5 locked up again on me on Saturday - this time using the ordinary adapter and not the control ring one, and the EF100-400ii lens. It is only for a couple of seconds, but still means I missed an opportunity. Has no-one else had this problem?

When I had the R5 off Canon for the weekend I also had the adapter and a 100-400mm MKII as I wanted to see how it compared with a 1.4x to my Sigma 150-600mm Sport at the long end. Now you say that it did lock up for a couple of seconds, I switched it off then on again and it was fine so I didn't give it much thought.

Does anyone with the RF70-200 f/2.8 experience a long delay coming out of standby with the R5?

It doesn't seem to be consistent but when it happens the red status LED flashes until the viewfinder eventually comes back to life.

Not with the 70-200 but I have a friend who has that exact problem with her R5 and 100-500mm

My R6 locked up Saturday too, middle of a group shot at a wedding lol. It's happened a couple of times. I think I was using a sigma 35 art with canon regular adaptor.

Have canon stopped making the 28-70 f2? It's been out of stock pretty much worldwide for months and mine has been on back order for 3 months.

Thank you for the replies @PDub @cruso @Mike.P It is a relief to know that I am not the only one and it is the R6 too - also that it doesn't seem to be lens dependent.

Canon may well know about it, but I think I will contact them anyway - just in case there is a firmware update coming soon that could fix it.

Not with the 70-200 but I have a friend who has that exact problem with her R5 and 100-500mm
So far (touch wood!) I've not had any lock ups on my R5 either with the 100-500 or the 70-200 2.8.

I've just had a look and I am not on the latest firmware, so I'll hold off reporting it. The update released on 12th April says it fixes some problems when the camera does not behave as expected with certain cards or high fps. I will update and see if it happens again. Having said that it has only happened twice in taking thousands of images.

I’m keeping up with firmware, using the R5 a lot since nearly a year and no lockups experienced.

I’m keeping up with firmware, using the R5 a lot since nearly a year and no lockups experienced.
Good to hear! I had thought I was up to date, but this one passed me by somehow.

I’ve had my R5 since November and taken thousands of shots, but only bought the CFexpress card fairly recently, so it’s possible it is card related. I am now up to date, so fingers crossed....

My card is a Lexar one - I’ve had excellent customer service from them in the past.

Last edited:
Good to hear! I had thought I was up to date, but this one passed me by somehow.

I’ve had my R5 since November and taken thousands of shots, but only bought the CFexpress card fairly recently, so it’s possible it is card related. I am now up to date, so fingers crossed....

My card is a Lexar one - I’ve had excellent customer service from them in the past.
FWIW I've had the CF Express card from the start

I just got an EOS R today (along with the EF-R control ring adapter ).

Gave it a quick test with a few lenses and all seems very good apart from a couple of things.

My Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC won’t auto focus. It’s a version 1 of this lens bought way back when released. I had read of some issues so am not too surprised.

There are a number of visible hot pixels on the EVF and LCD when the lens cover is on, I’d say 8 or so, some close to the edge others towards the centre . They ‘go away’ if I put the camera into Tv or M mode and set shutter speed to 1s or faster. Is this normal ?

They don’t appear to affect the photography I do as I never use long exposures, it just seems kinda off on a brand new camera (quick photo with camera phone attached).

View attachment 322364
Regarding the Tamron lens, contact Tamron about it.
Take a look here:
I have the Tamron 90mm F004 model and they offered a free firmware update to make it work with the R series.
The firmware was actually done by Fixation as they are the authorised Tamron service agent.

Has anybody got the ef- rf mount with the drop in polariser……? kept a couple of my ef lenses at the shorter end and like the idea of not having a Lee filter stuck on the end of them when wandering about………just wondered what the quality of the polariser is like And if anyone got a good deal on one………thanks?

For non canon dummy batteries to connect to AC I get to questions - does this battery say canon?, answer no, followed by continue using at your own risk? Answer yes. After that the camera operates with no problem. If I answer the first question yes then it locks up.

still the battery not genuine fault coming up ? I think it is only coming up after each time I charge them up could it be a faulty charging unit ?
Are you absolutely certain there’s no possibility that it’s not a genuine battery?

Because there are fake Canon batteries in circulation

I had one battery LP-E6N fail on me completely. It wasn't recognised by the cameras (appeared dead) and the Canon charger would flash for a short while and then indicate it was full. My third party charger wouldn't recognise that the battery was in it at all. It didn't give any warning signs beforehand.

I contacted Canon and they referred me back to where I bought it from. I couldn't be sure, but I think it came with the R camera that I had. I've now sold the R, and I gave away a good battery with it. I didn't think I had any proof of buying that particular one which I'm pretty sure was genuine. (Would be Wex, LCE or Cameraworld).

Just for info. I have a mix of LP-E6, LP-E6N batteries and one LP-E6NH. I enquired with Canon re charging them as I am going away and didn't want to take more than one charger if possible. They have confirmed that the charger that came with the R5 will charge all of them. They didn't confirm one way or the other whether the charger that came with the 5Div would fully charge the LP-E6NH. I presume it won't .

I haven't had any locking up problems since I updated the firmware on my R5.

what firmware are you using Behop I am on1.3.1 and I am going to borrow a fiends r5 Battery and try it over the weekend to see whether its a battery fault or camera ?
it’s all packed away at the moment as I’m travelling., but looking at website I would say that’s what I’m on. https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-r5.html
I thought points 9 or 10 might have been my problem

The problem battery was when I owned the R. I wish I’d pursued it now as I’m pretty sure it was my most recent battery at the time.

One taken from near Ardlui lastnight at 10pm!! Impressed with what can be achieved handheld in poor light!!

AF8A7919 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

How many have the 100-400mm mkII for wildlife? I would love the results the 100-500mm produces but the price is a bit prohibitive for me

AF8A6688 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

That's beautiful @gilbouk. I've been out with the 100-400 ii today with the 1.4 extender on. I would like the little bit of extra reach and am considering upgrading to the 100-500 - it is so expensive though.

A couple from today...
20210709-BCR_5971_1_DxO-week27.jpg20210709-BCR_6107_1-week27.jpg

The R5 did lock up on me again once today. I had just turned it on and perhaps was a bit too quick to start focusing.

They didn't confirm one way or the other whether the charger that came with the 5Div would fully charge the LP-E6NH. I presume it won't .

The 5d4 and R5 use the same chargers. The charger will continue charging until the battery says it’s full.

I use Duracell USB chargers for my batteries when I’m out and about and they charger charge all variations of LP-E6 to full.

The 5d4 and R5 use the same chargers. The charger will continue charging until the battery says it’s full.

I use Duracell USB chargers for my batteries when I’m out and about and they charger charge all variations of LP-E6 to full.
That’s interesting. I could so easily have checked the details on the chargers themselves, but stupidly I didn’t!

I know when I had two different cameras - I think the 5d3 and 5d4, there were slight variations in the spec of the chargers, and I think I read that the N version batteries, although they would display as charged, they didn’t go to the full capacity that they could. That was the reason I enquired, although I realise it may be splitting hairs trying to eke out maximum charge.

Back