Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Hi everyone. I have finally got round to fiddling about with the settings on my R5! Anyway I'm trying to get the "best of both worlds" scenario where I can use the back button AF to give me focus (separating AF from the shutter button) but also allowing me to use the star button to switch to eye AF

I followed instructions on this YouTube video,

View: https://youtu.be/-nnRqgXu7QI

The relevant part streets at 10mins 55 secs however I am now finding that I can only use back button focus with the EF button (which works normally)and when I try to use the star button to switch to I focus it will not allow me to do it.

When I look at the AF settings menu it seems to suggest that I can only do this if the tracking option is enabled. This makes perfect sense to me and I can't work out how it cold be different.

Can anyone tell me how this chap managed to get the two buttons working in the way that he did?

Thank you
I have been trying to set mine up to do the same and found it difficult to be honest but I’m not technically minded I haven’t watched the video
I found the only way I could have animal eye focus tracking on one back button and have normal back button focus the adjacent button was to turn on tracking focus when I want to use eye focus and turn it off when I want to do normal focus
I did this by adding tracking focus off/on into the quick menu
There must be a better way of doing it though
I’ll have a look at the video when I get a chance and try again

I have been trying to set mine up to do the same and found it difficult to be honest but I’m not technically minded I haven’t watched the video
I found the only way I could have animal eye focus tracking on one back button and have normal back button focus the adjacent button was to turn on tracking focus when I want to use eye focus and turn it off when I want to do normal focus
I did this by adding tracking focus off/on into the quick menu
There must be a better way of doing it though
I’ll have a look at the video when I get a chance and try again
Watch the video: it’s easy, it took me ten mins to set up the test drive R6 with ordinary focus select on the AF ON button, and eye focus on the *.

Watch the video: it’s easy, it took me ten mins to set up the test drive R6 with ordinary focus select on the AF ON button, and eye focus on the *.
Thanks Phil will do
I did search for videos but they seemed to make it complicated

Anyone who’s using the R5 or R6 along with a Mac / MacBook for editing.

Would you be so kind as to tell me what (if possible) I need to update in order to get the thumbnail previews for my RAW files please?

I remember it was briefly the same when I had the R. But it sorted itself after a month or so…

Hmm not sure, my Mac shows them. I takes a few seconds but then the image appears. What is happening on your Mac?

Hmm not sure, my Mac shows them. I takes a few seconds but then the image appears. What is happening on your Mac?

It’s basically just showing the RAW icons. Just different file numbers underneath, obviously.

I did consider setting my camera to take both RAW and JPEG - so I can see each one alongside the RAW’s; and know which photo they were…

But thought I’d ask on here first.

It’s clearly something that’s needing an update then.

Anyone who’s using the R5 or R6 along with a Mac / MacBook for editing.

Would you be so kind as to tell me what (if possible) I need to update in order to get the thumbnail previews for my RAW files please?

I remember it was briefly the same when I had the R. But it sorted itself after a month or so…
Are you using a card reader to transfer the files over or taking them directly from the camera plugged into your Mac?

Have you got a card reader? I read somewhere that importing from a CR shows the RAW preview rather than taking them from the camera.

I’ve probably got one kicking about somewhere (not sure how good the read speed is though)

If I have; I’ll try it with that instead.

It does still show a preview of each photo as they’re being transferred to the MacBook (if that’s what you’re referring to?)
Just not on the thumbnails when they’re in the dated folders.

I’ve probably got one kicking about somewhere (not sure how good the read speed is though)

If I have; I’ll try it with that instead.

It does still show a preview of each photo as they’re being transferred to the MacBook (if that’s what you’re referring to?)
Just not on the thumbnails when they’re in the dated folders.
Try putting the free canon DPP software on the Mac and download direct from the camera…..should be able to see them there……

I think it’s the preview program that the Mac uses but not sure it shows raw….can’t check at the mo sorry……

The CR3 thumbnails are showing on my Mac after a second or two to load. All I can think is that I have installed all the latest canon software on the Mac. I didn’t consciously do anything special.

The CR3 thumbnails are showing on my Mac after a second or two to load. All I can think is that I have installed all the latest canon software on the Mac. I didn’t consciously do anything special.

Software, as in DPP?

I don’t have that installed on mine at all.

I installed all the canon software. DPP EOS utility etc

I had forgotten I’d installed the Canon DPP software a few months back.

Opening the RAW files via that; you can see the image previews on the thumbnails.
But not if you open each dated folder from the main desktop or via PS.

I noticed last night that there’s a more recent update for my MacBook version.
I’ll see if that makes any difference.

All set up now thanks Phil the guy in the video explained it so well :)

Last edited:
And the 100-400mm. Maybe a little bit slow but also for the size and price considering it goes up to 400mm it's quite a bit of extra reach over the old 70-300mm that I have.

100-400 for $699? So roughly £730 give or take a few £.

should be able to pick it up grey import for below £500.

I think both would complement my 24-100 F4 and 50mm F1.8 very well and hopefully like you say be able to get the two together for £700-750 ish.

100-400 for $699? So roughly £730 give or take a few £.

should be able to pick it up grey import for below £500.
The email I received from fixation says £699. Good price but the f8 aperture maybe a bit slow for me. Starting to think it’s in the 600mm f11 and 800mm f11 lens territory. Price wise that seems to be the case.

Last edited:
R5 autofocus for macro is amazing (EF 100L) the first camera I’ve had that will consistently auto focus on a damselflies tail , which is thin with little contrast my previous camera’s always struggled
They are flighty things not staying still for long so being able to quickly autofocus is brilliant

Is there a way of automatically making a new folder for each focus bracket sequence on the R5 ?
It can be done manually from the back screen before each sequence but it would be a lot easier if it made a separate new folder for each new sequence automatically

yeah pretty jealous.... especially if it turns out to be a decent performer wide open.
the 100-400mm also looks to be a pretty good hiking lens.
16mm, 24-105mm+100-400mm would make for a nice hiking/landscape kit.

It’s a shame it’s not weather sealed

For me the form factor make it the ideal lens for hiking etc, so to be worrying about it getting wet is a real shame.
yeah true. For UK weather its not so great.
But I was thinking about travelling to places where the sun shines for more that week in a year ;)

In fact recently for hiking in Wales we sold our only non-weather sealed lens for a weather sealed lens for this purpose.

Last edited:
yeah true. For UK weather its not so great.
But I was thinking about travelling to places where the sun shines for more that week in a year ;)

In fact recently for hiking in Wales we sold our only non-weather sealed lens for a weather sealed lens for this purpose.

I was in Wales a month ago and although we had great weather, I was getting a bit wet shooting waterfalls etc. A non weather sealed lens is probably fine and I’m being overly worried tbh.

I had forgotten I’d installed the Canon DPP software a few months back.

Opening the RAW files via that; you can see the image previews on the thumbnails.
But not if you open each dated folder from the main desktop or via PS.

I noticed last night that there’s a more recent update for my MacBook version.
I’ll see if that makes any difference.
I can’t see thumbnails/previews on my Mac but I’m still on Catalina. I thought it was an Apple thing that they hadn’t updated Preview which is annoying. I always go into Photo Mechanic now to quickly browse.

Took my R6 to Goodwood Revival over the weekend, rather easier at covering all bases, from panning through to quickie people shots, than my XT3 which I took last time…I’ve loved my Fujis for many years and was all set to ditch Canon completely just before R came out…Glad I didn’t, the R6 is just terrific

View: https://flic.kr/p/2msRWFS

Last edited:
Back