Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent-priced card reader for CF Express? They seem to be around £50 which is pretty high really, anything cheaper around the £20 mark I might have missed? I'm loathed to keep plugging in the R5 for transfer, and the wifi transfer is way too slow!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent-priced card reader for CF Express? They seem to be around £50 which is pretty high really, anything cheaper around the £20 mark I might have missed? I'm loathed to keep plugging in the R5 for transfer, and the wifi transfer is way too slow!

I think you will struggle to get a reader for £20. The one I got was £45 now (£34 :() and that seemed to be the going rate. One thing I did notice about using a reader is that the card gets very hot indeed.

Link

I think you will struggle to get a reader for £20. The one I got was £45 now (£34 :() and that seemed to be the going rate. One thing I did notice about using a reader is that the card gets very hot indeed.

Link

found one on amazon for £30.. but there are lots of XQD ones for under £20 and I'm wondering if they're worth a go.. CF Ecpress is exactly the same size as XQD allegedly..

Last week I found another R5 benefit compared to prior Canon DSLRs - with flash and auto ISO it does try and exposure for the ambient unlike the dslrs which fixed ISO at 400. I ended up putting stickers on the camera body to remind me to adjust the ISO when switching on the flash. I've had the first crowded events since pre-corona and with this and eye AF that works in the dark (!) the results are way better.

This thread must be one of the best on here, thank you the OP and all the participants. R5 down to 3K now. Anyone tested an R3 in hand?

This thread must be one of the best on here, thank you the OP and all the participants. R5 down to 3K now. Anyone tested an R3 in hand?
Guess you’re talking grey price. It’s been hovering around that price for a while. It increased over £3k in recent months but starting to drop back down. I remember seeing it at £2980 on panamoz 3-4 months back.

UK price on camera price buster still shows it above its price last
1633681357412.png

How come 'Face + Tracking' subjection selection is only available in One Shot AF mode, and not in Servo on the R5 and R6? Am I the only one having trouble getting it to select the correct subject and stick to that subject without it inadvertently jumping to another while AF-ON is activated. It also won't always go with the nearest subject to the focus point when you activate AF

It seems other people are having the same problem with either not being able to get the eyeAF to move in either 1 of the 2 modes.

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...th-the-joystick-in-face-detection-mode.39252/

"I can enable eyeAF in Servo and One Shot. However, when I am in One Shot, I do not get the ability to move the focus point for eyeAF like I do in Servo"

"This is strange, as I seem to be having the complete opposite problem. EyeAF with selectable eyes in OneShot, but not Servo. lol." (Me ditto)

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Quick question on my R5 with 300 2.8 with out touching any button the lens is trying to focus ? is that a setting somewhere I have missed.

Quick question on my R5 with 300 2.8 with out touching any button the lens is trying to focus ? is that a setting somewhere I have missed.
Check AF settings in the menu, looks like you've full time AF on. Not in front of mine, but its in the AF section. Soemthing like full time AF/ continues AF.

How come 'Face + Tracking' subjection selection is only available in One Shot AF mode, and not in Servo on the R5 and R6? Am I the only one having trouble getting it to select the correct subject and stick to that subject without it inadvertently jumping to another while AF-ON is activated. It also won't always go with the nearest subject to the focus point when you activate AF

It seems other people are having the same problem with either not being able to get the eyeAF to move in either 1 of the 2 modes.

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...th-the-joystick-in-face-detection-mode.39252/

"I can enable eyeAF in Servo and One Shot. However, when I am in One Shot, I do not get the ability to move the focus point for eyeAF like I do in Servo"

"This is strange, as I seem to be having the complete opposite problem. EyeAF with selectable eyes in OneShot, but not Servo. lol." (Me ditto)

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Realising when your subject turns away or the eye can't be detected anymore - the camera moves onto the next nearest persons eyes which is often in the background which means you have to go back to single spot to help the camera 'pre-focus' to approx the correct plain of focus before activating eye AF again

I'm definitely struggling with speed on the R5. Using either SD or a CF express, I can rattle off around 20 pictures or so before it needs to stop for a breather. But during that, I can't alter anything in the quick menu using the Q button, or even start video recording. That's just shooting RAW too, not even dual recording. Also, say I've taken a shot (in single-mode) and then hit the playback button, the picture that shows up is the last one, not the one just taken. I have to then move the dial to get the new one as it loads... Not too impressed! Am I missing something, is this just a user error. I might post a video later if no one has any ideas and see if it makes sense!

I'm definitely struggling with speed on the R5. Using either SD or a CF express, I can rattle off around 20 pictures or so before it needs to stop for a breather. But during that, I can't alter anything in the quick menu using the Q button, or even start video recording. That's just shooting RAW too, not even dual recording. Also, say I've taken a shot (in single-mode) and then hit the playback button, the picture that shows up is the last one, not the one just taken. I have to then move the dial to get the new one as it loads... Not too impressed! Am I missing something, is this just a user error. I might post a video later if no one has any ideas and see if it makes sense!
This does not sound right at all. Ask Canon to check it?

I’m hovering over the buy button for either the 14-35 or the 15-35.

Just need to decide whether or not I need 2.8 over f4, mainly landscape work.

I’m hovering over the buy button for either the 14-35 or the 15-35.

Just need to decide whether or not I need 2.8 over f4, mainly landscape work.
Personally I’d go 14-35. I’m seriously thinking of selling my almost new EF 16-35 f4 to get one.

Personally I’d go 14-35. I’m seriously thinking of selling my almost new EF 16-35 f4 to get one.
I’ve just noticed that there’s only £120 difference between both on Panamoz and that makes the choice even more difficult!

I’ve just noticed that there’s only £120 difference between both on Panamoz and that makes the choice even more difficult!
It was the same with almost all RF lenses when they first launched. If you can wait I'd leave it for few months and when things settled, the price will come down significantly.

It was the same with almost all RF lenses when they first launched. If you can wait I'd leave it for few months and when things settled, the price will come down significantly.
I’m happy to wait, I’ve got my 24-104, EF 16-35 and 35 1.8 so I’m not massively in need of a new lens.

I’m happy to wait, I’ve got my 24-104, EF 16-35 and 35 1.8 so I’m not massively in need of a new lens.
Me too, I will wait until the RF lenses are saturated in the market. I think I'm the same as you, I want that RF 14-35mm to replace my EF 16-35mm F4 :p but other than that, I can wait.

Me too, I will wait until the RF lenses are saturated in the market. I think I'm the same as you, I want that RF 14-35mm to replace my EF 16-35mm F4 :p but other than that, I can wait.
So i said i'm happy to wait but i have just found the 14-35 for £1400 which is a lot cheaper than everywhere else so i may be updating this thread in a few days :D

Anyone else getting the lockup that’s apparently a feature of the R5
Mine very occasionally does stop working seems to be random
A couple of times after about 8 shots using eye focus tracking the viewfinder went dark like the card buffer is full
It’s not a big deal as it’s only happened twice in a lot of shots
Apparently some of the CFexpress cards can cause the issue but I’m only using fast sd cards anyway
Amazing camera though I still can’t believe how well it focuses most if not all shots are in focus

Anyone else getting the lockup that’s apparently a feature of the R5
Mine very occasionally does stop working seems to be random
A couple of times after about 8 shots using eye focus tracking the viewfinder went dark like the card buffer is full
It’s not a big deal as it’s only happened twice in a lot of shots
Apparently some of the CFexpress cards can cause the issue but I’m only using fast sd cards anyway
Amazing camera though I still can’t believe how well it focuses most if not all shots are in focus
What brand of cards are you using?

Transcend

64GB SDXC 700S Memory Card UHS- II, C10, U3, V90, 8K, Ultra HD​

Just curious as out of all the posts about freezes on the R5 the majority seem to be using Sandisk cards. Not that it helps you at all, I've personally not had a single freeze. I had some slow start-ups from standby with the RF70-200 on the older firmware but nothing I had to pull the battery for. I'm using Delkin CFExpress and Prograde SD.

Just curious as out of all the posts about freezes on the R5 the majority seem to be using Sandisk cards. Not that it helps you at all, I've personally not had a single freeze. I had some slow start-ups from standby with the RF70-200 on the older firmware but nothing I had to pull the battery for. I'm using Delkin CFExpress and Prograde SD.
Thanks yes I read that the Sandisk cfexpress cards can cause problems
I’m only using SD cards at the moment I haven’t bought a cfexpress card yet
I just had to turn the camera off and on again and it was ok

I had my R5 lock up on me last June - see here. I bought my Lexar CF express card in the March, so I expect that was the one in use at the time, but I'm not certain.

There was a firmware update, and it hasn't locked up since, but that could be a coincidence. My viewfinder didn't go dark, everything just froze.

Hi folks,

Looking at these full frame cameras and sticking with Canon as it's what I know. What's the difference between the R and R6 for general photography purposes (don't do video much). Is there much benefit in the R6 over the R for someone like me (pretty new to the photography world)?

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Looking at these full frame cameras and sticking with Canon as it's what I know. What's the difference between the R and R6 for general photography purposes (don't do video much). Is there much benefit in the R6 over the R for someone like me (pretty new to the photography world)?
Main differences are the sensors, EOS R has a 30.3MP sensor and the R6 has a 20.1MP sensor but the R6 has better Dynamic Range and better high ISO performance.

R6 comes with 2 UHS-II card slots and the EOS R comes with just 1.

Size and weight are pretty much identical between the two, both have the same LCD touchscreen and both have the same Electronic View Finder.

What do you take photos of?

The R6 can do 12FPS when shooting with the Mechanical shutter or 20FPS when shooting with the Electronic shutter, good for sports or fast wildlife.

The EOS R has no IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation) where as the R6 has 5 Axis stabilisation with up to 8 stops when paired with the RF lenses with IS built in.

Well at the moment I just take pictures of family days out, some pet and family portraits and when its not raining I like to go out with my daughter and we shoot some macro / flowers etc. We are going to the butterfly place in Bham next week to take a few snaps.

We are really novice level, I'm just going through my beginner photography course but I find myself looking at these FF cameras and thinking should I have purchased one of those instead of my M50 mk ii?

Now I'm not overly worried, I'm lucky enough to have a decent level of disposable income but it doesn't mean I want to waste it. I could buy a FF camera and then give my daughter the M50 mk ii to use with the lenses I've purchased, and keep it as my travel / holiday camera.

Trouble is...I also read good things about the Sony FF cameras and YouTube vids are good, but you don't always know if the presenter is being paid for a good review of a particular camera.

I figured I would be best to ask here

Well at the moment I just take pictures of family days out, some pet and family portraits and when its not raining I like to go out with my daughter and we shoot some macro / flowers etc. We are going to the butterfly place in Bham next week to take a few snaps.

We are really novice level, I'm just going through my beginner photography course but I find myself looking at these FF cameras and thinking should I have purchased one of those instead of my M50 mk ii?

Now I'm not overly worried, I'm lucky enough to have a decent level of disposable income but it doesn't mean I want to waste it. I could buy a FF camera and then give my daughter the M50 mk ii to use with the lenses I've purchased, and keep it as my travel / holiday camera.

Trouble is...I also read good things about the Sony FF cameras and YouTube vids are good, but you don't always know if the presenter is being paid for a good review of a particular camera.

I figured I would be best to ask here
What’s your budget? I would definitely take a look at the Sony A7iii as it was probably the most raved about camera from 2018-2020 ( I had one, was excellent) and their glass is very good.

Back