Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Thanks for the replies so far. The reason for a low light lens is I took some low light indoor shots at the weekend with my 24-105 F4 and the ISO was at 12,500. Still acceptable for social media which was the intention. However, it got me thinking as I'm at a friend's wedding in February and he asked me to take my camera along and take some informal photos in the evening. I straight away thought the RF 35MM then started reading reviews..... Great lens but a few reviews commented that it wasn't that sharp...

could you hire one for a couple of days and see how it is in reality?

I was at the same point also shoot wildlife, I went for the R5 haven’t regretted it even though it’s way more than I’ve ever paid for a camera
It’s worth it for the odd occasion when you can’t get near enough and have to crop
I’d have loved a R5 as you’re right the extra MP would be good for cropping with wildlife (Maybe in a few years or the next R5 version). I’ve ordered a R6 from cameraworld at £1849 with the double cash back. The R5 would have been £2k more and as I have no canon lenses the money saved can go towards RF lenses as they aren’t cheap. As I’m starting from scratch it seems daft for me to buy EF lenses if the RF equivalent is available. So far I’ve only ordered the 70-200 f4. I’m looking to see if can find a used RF 24-105 f4 as the wider option.

My only conundrum is the wildlife longer lens option. There aren’t any RF lens options suitable for me as I’d like something 300-400mm long and minimum of f4 (I found the Sony 100-400 a bit limiting at f5.6 due to shoot in low light on dull mornings. I’ve missed the Nikon f4/f2.8 lenses I previously had). The only options I can think of is the 300mm f4 (cheap option but older lens), 300mm f2.8 (bit too heavy, higher cost) or a 400mm DO f4 (may need to be saved for). I’ve always fancied trying the 400mm DO f4 as it looks ideal size/weight to low light performance for a portable wildlife lens. I don’t know much about the older version so unsure if it’s any good.

I’ve found out WEX hire the EF 300mm f4 for £40 for a weekend so will probably hire one to test it out. They only do the newer EF 400mm DO f4 version so probably not worth hiring to test if it’s much better than the previous version.

I’d have loved a R5 as you’re right the extra MP would be good for cropping with wildlife (Maybe in a few years or the next R5 version). I’ve ordered a R6 from cameraworld at £1849 with the double cash back. The R5 would have been £2k more and as I have no canon lenses the money saved can go towards RF lenses as they aren’t cheap. As I’m starting from scratch it seems daft for me to buy EF lenses if the RF equivalent is available. So far I’ve only ordered the 70-200 f4. I’m looking to see if can find a used RF 24-105 f4 as the wider option.

My only conundrum is the wildlife longer lens option. There aren’t any RF lens options suitable for me as I’d like something 300-400mm long and minimum of f4 (I found the Sony 100-400 a bit limiting at f5.6 due to shoot in low light on dull mornings. I’ve missed the Nikon f4/f2.8 lenses I previously had). The only options I can think of is the 300mm f4 (cheap option but older lens), 300mm f2.8 (bit too heavy, higher cost) or a 400mm DO f4 (may need to be saved for). I’ve always fancied trying the 400mm DO f4 as it looks ideal size/weight to low light performance for a portable wildlife lens. I don’t know much about the older version so unsure if it’s any good.

I’ve found out WEX hire the EF 300mm f4 for £40 for a weekend so will probably hire one to test it out. They only do the newer EF 400mm DO f4 version so probably not worth hiring to test if it’s much better than the previous version.
You could have paid an extra £1k for an R5.

Thanks for the replies so far. The reason for a low light lens is I took some low light indoor shots at the weekend with my 24-105 F4 and the ISO was at 12,500. Still acceptable for social media which was the intention. However, it got me thinking as I'm at a friend's wedding in February and he asked me to take my camera along and take some informal photos in the evening. I straight away thought the RF 35MM then started reading reviews..... Great lens but a few reviews commented that it wasn't that sharp...
Your friends wedding in the evening will almost certainly be flashgun dark rather than fast lens dark.
So the good news is that a decent speedlight is cheaper than a fast prime.
The bad news is learning to use a flashgun to make attractive images is much more challenging than shooting with a prime wide open.

But you’ve got a couple of months to learn about bouncing, using the zoom, balancing exposures, balancing colour, maybe OCF and more interesting modifiers. :)

Your friends wedding in the evening will almost certainly be flashgun dark rather than fast lens dark.
So the good news is that a decent speedlight is cheaper than a fast prime.
The bad news is learning to use a flashgun to make attractive images is much more challenging than shooting with a prime wide open.

But you’ve got a couple of months to learn about bouncing, using the zoom, balancing exposures, balancing colour, maybe OCF and more interesting modifiers. :)
I do have a speedlight but not yet used in anger :) The last time I used flash was in my Fuji days 3 years ago at an indoor party in a room with tall ceilings and no windows. :(
You raise some excellent points. I suffer from GAS as well so new lens thinking is always fun... NOT.

I appreciate your reply, very helpful as always on TP.

Yes you are right for most things you don’t need 46 MP
It is useful for wildlife photography though to be able to crop sometimes it’s not a controlled situation like other types of photography you can’t always get close enough

This is my concern as I currently use 7Dii I do benefit from 1.6 crop factor magnification when using Full Frame lenses. So if buy a FF camera I will loose half my reach, so my wildlife, macro, and airshow will need cropping, and will the 20.1MP R6 be enough ! ?

For portrait shoots the R6 would be wonderful to use as I can control the distance very easily. Though the R5 would be my choice if I could not cry after spending over 5.5k on body, lens and adapter I would need to also start replacing Hard Drives on my PC to cope with the increase in storage. Then of course over half my memory cards will need replacing. As I have a lot of Compact Flash and the rest are UHS 1 ranging from 16MB to 64MB SD cards.

A friend of my went from eos 6D to R5 and had similar issues with storage space, 3rd party batteries, and too lower storage memory cards and then spent more hard earn cash on hard drives, 2nd original cannon battery and small hand full of 128GB SD cards.

My wife has mention go ahead buy an R5, just make sure I get a new reasonable price used car, like Mini Cooper S with pepper pack ! ! !

You only live once ! Go for it!

Get the R5 and adapter and one card and then add to it as and when you need to i.e. second card; 3rd party battery etc. Storage is cheap - I bought another WD Red 4TB hard drive for my NAS a few weeks ago for £70.

Procrastination will be the death of all of us.

This is my concern as I currently use 7Dii I do benefit from 1.6 crop factor magnification when using Full Frame lenses. So if buy a FF camera I will loose half my reach, so my wildlife, macro, and airshow will need cropping, and will the 20.1MP R6 be enough ! ?

I am loving being able to crop right in with the R5.

Here is a short eared owl photographed today @ 500mm, ISO 12,800 - the original, and processed. The crop is about 2200 px on the long edge before downsizing for TP.

20211202-BCR_8631_M_DxO.jpg20211202-BCR_8631_1_DxO.jpg

I am loving being able to crop right in with the R5.

Here is a short eared owl photographed today @ 500mm, ISO 12,800 - the original, and processed. The crop is about 2200 px on the long edge before downsizing for TP.

View attachment 337066View attachment 337065
Nice ……! Was it the 100-500 lens? And what time of day if you don’t mind me asking……..assume it’s natural light……?

It was the RF 100-500. I had the extender on earlier but it was way too dark. It was at 5pm (about an hour after sunset). 1/400s and f/7.1

Just for fun, here is one I accidentally took at 1/25s at 700mm handheld :oops: :$ :rolleyes: I ran it through Topaz sharpen, which has over sharpened it I think, but I can't be bothered to improve it - I have others taken at better settings. It just amazed me that I could get anything with those settings. This is around 3000px long edge before downsizing. ISO 400.

20211202-BCR_8545_1_openWith-sharpen-Motion_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

For portrait shoots the R6 would be wonderful to use as I can control the distance very easily. Though the R5 would be my choice if I could not cry after spending over 5.5k on body, lens and adapter I would need to also start replacing Hard Drives on my PC to cope with the increase in storage. Then of course over half my memory cards will need replacing. As I have a lot of Compact Flash and the rest are UHS 1 ranging from 16MB to 64MB SD cards.

A friend of my went from eos 6D to R5 and had similar issues with storage space, 3rd party batteries, and too lower storage memory cards and then spent more hard earn cash on hard drives, 2nd original cannon battery and small hand full of 128GB SD cards.

My wife has mention go ahead buy an R5, just make sure I get a new reasonable price used car, like Mini Cooper S with pepper pack ! ! !

I know exactly what you mean I also was using a 7D 2 and was worried about having enough reach so went for the R5
Was worth it the autofocus and image quality are amazing and I have leeway to crop if I need to
Ive rapidly filled my hard drive and need to get another one
I haven’t got a cfexpress card yet still using sd cards as they are cheap and I keep reading conflicting reviews on different cfexpress cards I just bought a load of sd cards

Just tried pointing my R6 at the TV screen with the Saudi FP2 on it. New car AF works perfectly on that! Locks on and follows the car around the screen in its little box in the VF. :)

Last edited:
It was the RF 100-500. I had the extender on earlier but it was way too dark. It was at 5pm (about an hour after sunset). 1/400s and f/7.1

Just for fun, here is one I accidentally took at 1/25s at 700mm handheld :oops: :$ :rolleyes: I ran it through Topaz sharpen, which has over sharpened it I think, but I can't be bothered to improve it - I have others taken at better settings. It just amazed me that I could get anything with those settings. This is around 3000px long edge before downsizing. ISO 400.

View attachment 337069
That’s great……just need to find an Owl now……interesting comment on the Topaz…..I haven’t tried it……..thanks for the info…….

It’s been pulled from Canon UK website is anyone having issues?
I’ve updated mine but haven’t had a chance to try it properly yet will do tomorrow

interesting comment on the Topaz…..I haven’t tried it……..thanks for the info…….
I use Photolab - just updated to 5, so I rarely need Topaz Sharpen or Denoise these days, but I think for an extreme case like this, Topaz Sharpen is worth a punt. I really like Photolab for ease of processing and colours - which I realise is a personal thing, and fabulous noise handling.

Good luck finding an owl. I was directed to this one, but I have spent many hours locally looking for them and had a weird experience one evening when I think I was mistaken for a paparazzi! :oops: :$:rolleyes:

It’s been pulled from Canon UK website is anyone having issues?
I’ve updated mine but haven’t had a chance to try it properly yet will do tomorrow
The same here, the update went ok but not had a chance to fully test it.

The same here, the update went ok but not had a chance to fully test it.
All seems ok tried it out this morning in the garden apparently it was a website glitch which was why the update was pulled

What setting would you use for a man/woman on a moving horse & cart, People, Animal or Vehicle ?

What setting would you use for a man/woman on a moving horse & cart, People, Animal or Vehicle ?
First world problems :) whichever you want to be the subject of the image? Almost always that will be a person for me.

There's a secret universal AI that detects everything, it even reads your mind on what to focus and track too. Unlocking code is as below:

Up Down Up Down Left Right Left Right ABAB START.

It was not a wind-up, I just feel that these settings would not be of any benefit in the scenario I described.

It was not a wind-up, I just feel that these settings would not be of any benefit in the scenario I described.
They could be, if you wanted shallow dof focusing on the bride in the carriage for example.

Why? In the scenario you described YOU are making a judgement as to what your subject is.
So you set your camera accordingly. It’s brilliantly simple.

Back