Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I have the R5 set to LARGE JPG but cant see anywhere to set the compression of JPG as in save at 90% or ?

I have Sony tough cfexpress too, I see no difference in practice to Agfa
For normal application, no issues at all with any card and I would not have even bother with CF Express card. Have you tried that Agfa 20fps continuous and how long does it sustain before the buffer hits the limit? Does it record 4k 120fps video?

Cheers...
haha none of them answers work for me in fast action sport :) The ability to switch between the two modes (af-on and *) for spot or eye is good but would take some getting used to which brings me to my next problem... it would be so different using this camera that when using it in conjunction wiht the 1dxII at football its going to be too confusing :(
This is why I’ve landed on a pair of R5s with battery grips. I still have the 1DXM2 but will be selling soon.
Did you try using AF on the R5 the same as you do with the 1DX? This is what I’ve been doing with multiple faces.

For normal application, no issues at all with any card and I would not have even bother with CF Express card. Have you tried that Agfa 20fps continuous and how long does it sustain before the buffer hits the limit? Does it record 4k 120fps video?
I don’t usually use the electronic shutter. Just tried and with Raw it stutters after about 5 seconds, with cRaw it goes for 10 seconds without stuttering.

4K 120fps records fine.

@KIPAX use cRAW it is around 25mb each RAW files. Also have you use the touchscreen to select which player to focus on?

I never shoot raw and the touchscreen is hard to use with a 400mm 2.8 as you need two hands to steady the lens with just thumb and finger to shoot with :(

I don’t usually use the electronic shutter. Just tried and with Raw it stutters after about 5 seconds, with cRaw it goes for 10 seconds without stuttering.

4K 120fps records fine.

everyhting i have watched and read makes me stay away from the electronic shutter

R5 Ordered !! Let's call it a Christmas present from me to me ;)

Fingers crossed it will be here early January. No immediate rush but I know I will get impatient now it's ordered.

In the process of packing up a load of stuff to send off to wex for trade in against a new r6, anyone wanting to attempt to change my mind? I’m pretty attached to my 5d3 but the autofocus is just proving too much to resist.:LOL:

In the process of packing up a load of stuff to send off to wex for trade in against a new r6, anyone wanting to attempt to change my mind? I’m pretty attached to my 5d3 but the autofocus is just proving too much to resist.:LOL:
Warmest welcome to the dark side :p

I still have my 5Ds R :)

4K 120fps records fine.
Oh I’ve only ever used the electronic shutter have had no issues, I haven’t yet tried fast moving things like birds in flight though
I started with electronic shutter as my wife was videoing at the same time when I first got the camera so wanted a quiet shutter and haven’t got around to changing it to mechanical

I moved to R6 from R and 5D3. Still have all three but only R6 used since I got it!

Ah you use back focusing button? I stopped doing that since using Sony A9 with the tracking system you can recompose easy :)

I can easy switch between using center spot and eye focus by using back button as each assigned to af-on or * ... so deffo the best way for me :)

I watched a video on best settings the day before the camera arrived.. :) :)
You don’t by chance happen to have the link to said video, do you?
It would be very much appreciated… Thanks in advance.

Indeed! Likelihood zero but hopefully it won’t be too long!
Got a glimmer of hope as UPS said 24/12 then "delayed". now looking at being next Wednesday so that's not too bad!

Got a glimmer of hope as UPS said 24/12 then "delayed". now looking at being next Wednesday so that's not too bad!
Ah that’s a shame. It will be worth the wait :)

Anyone else finding the electronic spirit level a bit off? Is there a way to recalibrate it at all.

I have a R5 btw

thanks

Last edited:
Hi folks... Have been thinking about upgrading my X-T2 & fuji glass to something else and after a flirt with Sony, I'm thinking the EOS R might be the best fit for me.

I mainly shoot film, and have a fair bit of EF glass that I'd be keeping, as well as other manual focus lenses I'd adapt, so a 2nd hand R (+EF adapter) would give me a bit of change on the p/x for some glass (85 or 135) and/or adapters. Do these cameras play nicely with EF lenses?

I did think about an R6, but it would take every penny of my savings which I just can't stretch to right now. Keep looking at the RP as well (which would be in-budget) but I think the R form factor would suit me better.

Hi folks... Have been thinking about upgrading my X-T2 & fuji glass to something else and after a flirt with Sony, I'm thinking the EOS R might be the best fit for me.

I mainly shoot film, and have a fair bit of EF glass that I'd be keeping, as well as other manual focus lenses I'd adapt, so a 2nd hand R (+EF adapter) would give me a bit of change on the p/x for some glass (85 or 135) and/or adapters. Do these cameras play nicely with EF lenses?

I did think about an R6, but it would take every penny of my savings which I just can't stretch to right now. Keep looking at the RP as well (which would be in-budget) but I think the R form factor would suit me better.
They work perfectly with EF lenses. I’m so glad I waited. I’ve not yet bothered with any RF lenses.

I bought an EF to RF converter with mine as I’ve already got my full focal length covered with my EF lenses and don’t want to buy new lenses as well !

I was in similar position. Had been Canon EOS user for many years with 5D3 as last main Canon camera.

However I was attracted to XT1 when it arrived, as the digital Nikon FE2 I‘d always wished for. Went through XT2 and then onto XT3, though never bothered with XT4. The Fujis became easily my most used cameras, despite the 5D3 still having better IQ, was better at AF tracking, offered its nice fullframeness and even though Fuji images never quite made it in LR imo.

When the EOS R came out, I tried one and thought Ah, this could be better mix of the two though while I liked it, I still used the Fuji a lot.

However, when I got an R6 that was the end of my time with Fuji and I haven’t used the Fuji since.

Imo then, while it may be the pricier option, I’d choose the R6 over the R, easily a far more complete bit of kit and the better blend of strengths from the two ranges imo.

Last edited:
I’ve heard good things about EF lenses on the R series cameras. If you already have a range of EF lenses it doesn’t make any sense to replace them for RF equivalent lenses any time soon. If you could save for longer could that mean the R6 would be within budget? That said it would also depend on the value of the Fuji gear holding over that time so difficult to say what’s the best option.

I’ve heard good things about EF lenses on the R series cameras. If you already have a range of EF lenses it doesn’t make any sense to replace them for RF equivalent lenses any time soon. If you could save for longer could that mean the R6 would be within budget? That said it would also depend on the value of the Fuji gear holding over that time so difficult to say what’s the best option.
It is difficult... Ultimately, I only shoot digital when other people want the photos. Be that work stuff, and documentary stuff for friends (events & suchlike). My X-T2 has done 1 wedding, a couple of portrait sessions, and 1 garden party in the last year and so it hardly gets significant use. Being able to use the same lenses I already have for my film Canons (EOS-1v, EOS30 and the brilliant little EOS300v) as well as adapt some of the manual lenses would mean not having to buy any more glass. The only "hole" would be for portraits, as my film portraits are on medium format.

I did look at the R6 and without looking at any prices, it definitely seems to be the camera I'd buy without a budget concern. Wex are currently offering me the best p/x deal for my stuff and they don't have any 2nd hand ones kicking about. Ultimately though, it would be an expensive camera to just sit around and not really use that much. I'd also really like to pick up a nice portrait lens at the same time to cover the gap (85, 135 or a 70-200).

The budget is £2k for a camera with both EF-RF and LeicaM-RF which shaves £200 off that. At £1200 second hand that leaves me a little extra for the lens.

That said....

When the EOS R came out, I tried one and thought Ah, this could be better mix of the two though while I liked it, I still used the Fuji a lot.

However, when I got an R6 that was the end of my time with Fuji and I haven’t used the Fuji since.

If the EOS R isn't going to be a significant upgrade over the X-T2 (and by upgrade, I really mean AF responsiveness & accuracy) I may hold off, or even consider waving goodbye to my Canon FD mount gear to fund it. Is the step from R to R6 worth the extra £1k (or thereabouts) in terms of AF and low light (my two top requirements)?

It is difficult... Ultimately, I only shoot digital when other people want the photos. Be that work stuff, and documentary stuff for friends (events & suchlike). My X-T2 has done 1 wedding, a couple of portrait sessions, and 1 garden party in the last year and so it hardly gets significant use. Being able to use the same lenses I already have for my film Canons (EOS-1v, EOS30 and the brilliant little EOS300v) as well as adapt some of the manual lenses would mean not having to buy any more glass. The only "hole" would be for portraits, as my film portraits are on medium format.

I did look at the R6 and without looking at any prices, it definitely seems to be the camera I'd buy without a budget concern. Wex are currently offering me the best p/x deal for my stuff and they don't have any 2nd hand ones kicking about. Ultimately though, it would be an expensive camera to just sit around and not really use that much. I'd also really like to pick up a nice portrait lens at the same time to cover the gap (85, 135 or a 70-200).

The budget is £2k for a camera with both EF-RF and LeicaM-RF which shaves £200 off that. At £1200 second hand that leaves me a little extra for the lens.

That said....

If the EOS R isn't going to be a significant upgrade over the X-T2 (and by upgrade, I really mean AF responsiveness & accuracy) I may hold off, or even consider waving goodbye to my Canon FD mount gear to fund it. Is the step from R to R6 worth the extra £1k (or thereabouts) in terms of AF and low light (my two top requirements)?
Yes!

Back