Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Took my R3 out in anger today at the local nature reserve. Set up was Manual, Auto ISO with Servo and H+ and had Animal Eye Detect and Tracking On. I also had the shutter sound turned off and boy the thing is blistering fast. Took 245 shots in 30 minutes Very impressive and having the shutter sound switched off certainly catches you out!
I have football tomorrow and possibly on Sunday to give it a good run out and I definitely will switch the sound back on!

All in all I'm blown away.

Hi all,

Anyone gone from a 6D mk1 to r6? Any notable improvement in image quality, particularly with the RF lenses?
I can’t compare directly as I have 6D 2 and R5 but I would have thought that the main advantage of the R6 over the 6D would be the autofocus
My 6D 2 has excellent image quality, I just don’t use it much now because for what I do the R5 has better autofocus

I can’t compare directly as I have 6D 2 and R5 but I would have thought that the main advantage of the R6 over the 6D would be the autofocus
My 6D 2 has excellent image quality, I just don’t use it much now because for what I do the R5 has better autofocus
Thanks Pete, I would like the r5 really, but the price…

Thanks Pete, I would like the r5 really, but the price…
Yes I know what you mean it is expensive but I went for it as I occasionally have to crop with wildlife shots

Edit forgot to say that I’m sure you’ve read already the R5, R6 works perfectly with EF lenses and the adaptor, I’m still using EF lenses for me anyway there’s no point in upgrading to RF lenses , would cost too much anyway

Last edited:
Yes I know what you mean it is expensive but I went for it as I occasionally have to crop with wildlife shots

Edit forgot to say that I’m sure you’ve read already the R5, R6 works perfectly with EF lenses and the adaptor, I’m still using EF lenses for me anyway there’s no point in upgrading to RF lenses , would cost too much anyway
Ef lens work great on the R5. I’ve only got the 600RF as that’s the only one that is incredible bang for you buck

Hi all,

Anyone gone from a 6D mk1 to r6? Any notable improvement in image quality, particularly with the RF lenses?
I’ve only had one on test, but am about to buy one.
It’s night and day better as a tool to use.

The 6d has great IQ for the price, but largely you’re stuck with only centre point AF. If you’re a landscape shooter that’s fine, but for me as a people photographer it was always a compromise.

OTOH the AF on the R6 is phenomenal, the best camera for me in my nearly 40 years of photography. It’s more or less 100% in focus shots at 10fps. It’s mental, it almost feels like cheating.

The 6d has great IQ for the price, but largely you’re stuck with only centre point AF. If you’re a landscape shooter that’s fine, but for me as a people photographer it was always a compromise.

OTOH the AF on the R6 is phenomenal, the best camera for me in my nearly 40 years of photography. It’s more or less 100% in focus shots at 10fps. It’s mental, it almost feels like cheating.
Thanks Phil. I think I’ve made my mind up then, I’ll be joining the R brigade shortly :)

Agreed Phil, did some shots over the last couple of weeks with my R6 and it's spot on 90% of them.

It has also made me sloppy with camera shake. Which is the 10%... I've actually got to slow down rather than firing away.

I've set it up so when looking through the Vfinder I use my thumb to move the focus on the touch screen so much quicker than the toggle control I had on my 7d. But that is only when hunting occurs.

Last edited:
Not had a chance to use it in anger and with storm Eunice

You mean the AF doesn't have trampoline tracking?! Hopeless.

What you ladies and gentlemen been up to?

_m7a1742-jpg.345472
_M7A2835.jpg_M7A3014.jpg_M7A3633.jpg_M7A3668.jpg

Attachments

• _M7A1742.jpg
    _M7A1742.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 424
Finally took the plunge and purchased an R5. Picked up an extra battery and grip at the same time (along with the rf 24-70 2.8….might have got a bit carried away :oops: :$ ). I’ll be using it for motorsport so I’m looking for options to keep the batteries topped up to allow full fps when needed.

Is anyone using a USB C Power pack to charge two batteries with the grip connected? Just got lost down a rabbit hole on another forum reading about specs and options to power from a pack whilst in use but I’ll be pretty mobile while shooting so preferably want something I can just connect between sessions to give the batteries a quick charge.

Last edited:
Finally took the plunge and purchased an R5. Picked up an extra battery and grip at the same time (along with the rf 24-70 2.8….might have got a bit carried away :oops: :$ ). I’ll be using it for motorsport so I’m looking for options to keep the batteries topped up to allow full fps when needed.

Is anyone using a USB C Power pack to charge two batteries with the grip connected? Just got lost down a rabbit hole on another forum reading about specs and options to power from a pack whilst in use but I’ll be pretty mobile while shooting so preferably want something I can just connect between sessions to give the batteries a quick charge.

Congrats on the purchase. It’s about time their were some 3rd party battery grips released

I too am interested in what solutions people have found for charging batteries on the go. Even with a spare, if you're spending an entire day shooting something like motorsport or aviation where you're away from power and shooting frequent bursts, you're likely to tear through both batteries.

Wondered if you could use some form of power bank to charge them but these are usually designed for phones so not sure they'd provide enough power.

There are two main options I think that would work for charging on the go.

Firstly, if you want to charge via the USB-C you'll need a large capacity battery bank with 'PD' (Power Delivery) certification that will be able to charge the batteries.

The other option is to find a 3rd party lp-e6 charger that runs off usb. That'll charge (albeit at usb rates) the batteries and can be connected to a regular power bank just fine. I have an excellent nitecore charger for my 1dxii batteries that runs off usb, it works fine with a portable power bank and will charge the batteries fully, albeit at usb rates. I would be happy to have a battery in the bag on charge, whilst shooting with one etc. It does depend on how fast these batteries drain in your camera though....

Unfortunately you cannot charge the battery whilst having the power turn ON. But you can charge it when they are off via USB-C by using any power bank (I tried this using latest power bank with 18W power delivery and an 8 years old 10,000mAh power bank). Another solution is to use dummy battery and connect to external power bank. The power bank may need to have a power delivery of 30-45W. I have not tried this solution just read from the internet.

I bought third party battery that comes with charger that charge two batteries same time. I'll be using that as on the go solution to charge my other batteries using a power bank.

Last edited:
I too am interested in what solutions people have found for charging batteries on the go. Even with a spare, if you're spending an entire day shooting something like motorsport or aviation where you're away from power and shooting frequent bursts, you're likely to tear through both batteries.

Wondered if you could use some form of power bank to charge them but these are usually designed for phones so not sure they'd provide enough power.
I'm using a couple of camera bodies with battery grips and taking thousands of frames for all-day events. I don't find I'm tearing through batteries. I always carry spares but rarely need them.

First event complete with R5 and firmware 1.5.1 and it worked well, with no major issues with AF. The light was pretty challenging, especially keeping focus when the only light was from strobes was tricky. I did try electronic focus and it looks good, no banding with the lights at this venue or anything like that. The main problem will be too many pictures!
Shooting some images from the back of an event yesterday. The location lighting for the speakers was dreadful; when they were standing in the light the eye AF worked well, but when they were in shadow, the eye AF switched to picking up the backs of heads in the audience or faces on slides projected behind them.

I'm using a couple of camera bodies with battery grips and taking thousands of frames for all-day events. I don't find I'm tearing through batteries. I always carry spares but rarely need them.

I've done the same with my 5D3 and grip and never had any issues, I'm just a bit concerned about the move to mirrorless after all I've read about much reduced battery life.

Guess I should wait and see how it actually fares before panicking too much :)

Actually I've just found a note that says the power pack I bought for my laptop is PD compliant so I'll try that with the grip connected, once I've had a chance to charge the 2nd battery with the standard charger and run it down a little. Its 65W so plenty of power although I might be looking for a cheaper alternative for the camera. The current power pack is still needed for my laptop which drains pretty quickly when working in Lightroom.

Unfortunately you cannot charge the battery whilst having the power turn ON. But you can charge it when they are off via USB-C by using any power bank (I tried this using latest power bank with 18W power delivery and an 8 years old 10,000mAh power bank). Another solution is to use dummy battery and connect to external power bank. The power bank may need to have a power delivery of 30-45W. I have not tried this solution just read from the internet.

I bought third party battery that comes with charger that charge two batteries same time. I'll be using that as on the go solution to charge my other batteries using a power bank.
Thanks, I'm not too bothered about charging while in use, in fact I this won't really be practical anyway with the cable hanging out. Were you charging two batteries via the grip or just 1 when you tried with the 18W supply?

The other option is to find a 3rd party lp-e6 charger that runs off usb. That'll charge (albeit at usb rates) the batteries and can be connected to a regular power bank just fine. I have an excellent nitecore charger for my 1dxii batteries that runs off usb, it works fine with a portable power bank and will charge the batteries fully, albeit at usb rates. I would be happy to have a battery in the bag on charge, whilst shooting with one etc. It does depend on how fast these batteries drain in your camera though....
This might be the next best thing although will involve buying more batteries or a little more swapping around.

I'll usually get through 2 and a bit in a day with the 5dmkIV. I was assuming the the R5 will use a little more, however the other issue is the fps rate dropping off when the charge starts to drop. I want to try to avoid that as much as possible by topping up on the go.

Thanks, I'm not too bothered about charging while in use, in fact I this won't really be practical anyway with the cable hanging out. Were you charging two batteries via the grip or just 1 when you tried with the 18W supply?
I don't use grip, so just 1 on board. Sometimes I charge the battery using my Mac :)

Which 3rd party batteries are people using that allow USB charging?

Edit: these look good and I’ve used DSTE in the past with good results.

DSTE Replacement for Canon EOS R,EOS R5,EOS R6,XC10,XC15 Cameras LP-E6NH LP-E6N LP E6N(2-Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GFL7N8W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_JNQ5CN1PS6JDQWBA5AME
That’s what I’m using they are excellent
I’ve not tried USB charging, use the canon charger but they work well , they are cheap so I bought a few for trips away

I’ve just discovered that my old non IS Sigma 150 macro works with focus bracketing on the R5 , it’s not on the list of supported lenses but I tried it anyway and seems to work

First time out today using the R5 as a wildlife camera (of course I did a little landscaping whilst I was at it!) and its performance was amazing, tracking the eyes on the birds etc. with a high accuracy rate.

Here's a cheeky robin shot. More are here

IMG_2749.jpg

I photographed a hare running towards me the other day. Using the ordinary autofocus, it just wouldn't focus on the hare at all, but as soon as I switched to the eye tracking it was great. I think my 5D mk iv would have done a better job than the R5's ordinary autofocus.
No special sharpening applied - just the default jpeg conversion with DxO Photolab.

20220305-BCR_2036_1.jpg20220305-BCR_2037_1.jpg

I photographed a hare running towards me the other day. Using the ordinary autofocus, it just wouldn't focus on the hare at all, but as soon as I switched to the eye tracking it was great. I think my 5D mk iv would have done a better job than the R5's ordinary autofocus.
No special sharpening applied - just the default jpeg conversion with DxO Photolab.

View attachment 346129View attachment 346128
I wouldn't have been able to switch focussing mode so quickly I don't think. That in focus shot is lovely.

Bee would you show me a big crop of the second image please,mate all sharpened up an stuff i'm not calling you out or nowt like that Bee, I'm trying to assimilate. the AF and sensor

For a simple lad like me a hare piccy is more than half a start. I know you have seen my last post kiddo, I hope this comes out the right way, I just can't see what's really going on in these images at the view sizes in TP :(

cheers in advance....oh god that sounds so pushy and I'm not :(

thank you either way ;)

stu

Bee would you show me a big crop of the second image please,mate all sharpened up an stuff i'm not calling you out or nowt like that Bee, I'm trying to assimilate. the AF and sensor

For a simple lad like me a hare piccy is more than half a start. I know you have seen my last post kiddo, I hope this comes out the right way, I just can't see what's really going on in these images at the view sizes in TP :(

cheers in advance....oh god that sounds so pushy and I'm not :(

thank you either way ;)

stu
No problem at all. I got about 20 fuzzy frames and then once I switched to the eye autofocus it tracked well. The two I showed above were consecutive shots as I switched to the eye AF. I have a quite a few in focus.... let me get one for you and zoom right in.
I did see your hare photo and thought it was special :) Really lovely. I feel mine is more of a record shot really.... I'll post tomorrow if that's okay -need my bed now :) I might need to email you a full size pic as they definitely lose quality on here.

@Stuart Philpott I am struggling to share images here without having to downsize the quality quite a lot.

Here is one... The original converted, no processing, then processed and run through Topaz sharpen, and finally a close up (not sure if it upsizes to display this?). I have had to go to 95% quality.

They are not of the quality of your hare shot but I suspect you are more skilful than I at both shooting and processing. If you'd like me to send you a raw to play with yourself, then DM me your email address.

These are @700mm with the 1.4 extender on the RF 100-500 lens using eye tracking.

20220305-BCR_2128_M.jpg 20220305-BCR_2128_3_topaz_M.jpg 20220305-BCR_2128_3_openWith_1.jpg

Bee bless ya,sweetie THANK YOU............... I'll come back later if that's ok........I need to do things :banghead: Just wanted to pop up a huge thanks ASAP

Ha you orrible lot are so lovely :LOL: thank you !! :)

Bee you are shooting a moving target and that isn't easy,my ickle munchin was right in front of me. preddy much static....... unsure on skill being appicable....( perosnally I think it's amazing your engaged eye tracking,although I don't really know what that means :LOL: ......Hmm Bee I will shoot you an email, PM DM thingy

I'm a bit brain dead with all this post malarky but if I can get it into canon's DPP I might have a chance of having a go at processing it....that might take me an age, I have some degree of brilliance in loosing thiings in a PC I'm so good at that it's untrue :banghead: :LOL:

.....I have no idea on upsizing mate , I wish I could help there ,i'm such a simple soul really, I do look hard though

Bee again thank you so much for your kindness, i'll shoot you a message

@Buck and @Stuart Philpott I use back button focusing. One button on the back is set up as usual to focus using the selected area in the viewfinder. Right beside it I have the other button, which is set to focus using eye tracking, so I only have to move my thumb across to switch from one to the other. Having said that, my brain was a bit slow to engage to make me realise I needed to switch to eye tracking... so I did get quite a few blurry shots before I got it into focus.

@Buck and @Stuart Philpott I use back button focusing. One button on the back is set up as usual to focus using the selected area in the viewfinder. Right beside it I have the other button, which is set to focus using eye tracking, so I only have to move my thumb across to switch from one to the other. Having said that, my brain was a bit slow to engage to make me realise I needed to switch to eye tracking... so I did get quite a few blurry shots before I got it into focus.

Such a simple but top tip. I hadn’t thought of using the other button for that (I use back button focus as well).
I’ll change my set up for that.. do you have it set to animals people or all?

thanks

Such a simple but top tip. I hadn’t thought of using the other button for that (I use back button focus as well).
I’ll change my set up for that.. do you have it set to animals people or all?

thanks
Happy to help :)

In my favourites menu, I have added the option to quickly switch between people and animals, and also electronic and manual shutter. Mostly I photograph birds/animals so I leave it on animals, but I do change it as needed.

There is a very good video on YouTube by Jan Wegener on setting up his R5 for birds. That was where I picked it up from.

Happy to help :)

In my favourites menu, I have added the option to quickly switch between people and animals, and also electronic and manual shutter. Mostly I photograph birds/animals so I leave it on animals, but I do change it as needed.

There is a very good video on YouTube by Jan Wegener on setting up his R5 for birds. That was where I picked it up from.
The double back button setup is great.

I’ve also dedicated my C1-C3 custom slots on the mode dial to switch to people, animals and vehicles. It’s really handy to be able to switch between the three quickly - especially when I’ve left it in the wrong mode!!

The double back button setup is great.

I’ve also dedicated my C1-C3 custom slots on the mode dial to switch to people, animals and vehicles. It’s really handy to be able to switch between the three quickly - especially when I’ve left it in the wrong mode!!
It seemed to make a good job of thinking kite surfers were animals the other day :LOL: I'd forgotten I'd even got a vehicle setting.

It seemed to make a good job of thinking kite surfers were animals the other day :LOL: I'd forgotten I'd even got a vehicle setting.
:LOL: Yes I've fluked it a few times as well!

There's so much these cameras can do these days that if it's not on a button or a dial then I'll probably forget to use it!

I know it's a pet shot, but I just got an FD adapter the other day and thought I'd give it a whirl with the 135mm f/2.8 FD. Manual focus is a real breeze with focus peaking and I had a fun time, even if Crow didn't...

Crow T Cat by Ian, on Flickr

Back