Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Hi, is anyone using the 256GB version of the Integral Ultima Pro Cinematic CF Express Card to record 120fps 4K.

Seems to be good value £/gb compared to the 128gb version but the sustained write speed is the lowest in the range. It's still quoted as having a 'ATTO Disk Benchmark - 400MB/s Sustained Write Speed' (v's 800 for the 128GB version) The Canon website calls for 400MB/s + though so I'm hoping it should be ok. Currently £213 for the 256 v's £360 for 2x 128s, hence the question.

I have the RF 100-400 and I have been very surprised by how sharp it is. It suits my needs well. I mainly shoot aviation, however I have shot some wildlife with it with great success (no BIF yet though). The cost was a factor (I’d love the 100-500L but can’t afford it right now) as was the weight - it’s a very lightweight lens. I’ve never owned the 100-400 MkII, but I did own the MkI many years ago. It’s hard to compare as I only used it on a crop body, but I’d say they were close. The MkII gets great reviews though.

I’m undecided on the macro front. The EF100L macro is an incredible lens (why did I sell it?!), so I might get one of those for how much I’d use it. Second hand they are going for around £500 these days. It’s a big saving if you have an adaptor.
Thank you for your response. Im likely to go for the RF version of the 100-400 mainly for the lighter weight. I'll do a bit more research first though.

Thank you for your response. Im likely to go for the RF version of the 100-400 mainly for the lighter weight. I'll do a bit more research first though.
RF 100-400mm seems to be positively received by many users. The lens appears to be sharp consistently across the focal lengths, small and lightweight too. Apart from the f-stop limitation, it's good value. I am also toying with the idea of picking the RF version and selling my 100-400mm II.

RF 100-400mm seems to be positively received by many users. The lens appears to be sharp consistently across the focal lengths, small and lightweight too. Apart from the f-stop limitation, it's good value. I am also toying with the idea of picking the RF version and selling my 100-400mm II.

The weight was a big thing for me - I almost always take it with me now whereas before, with heavier lenses, I'd think twice.

First oversea holiday since pandemic, the easiest one to get in and out at present.

View attachment 348000View attachment 348001View attachment 348002View attachment 348003

Beautiful shots - whereabouts were you? Looks like Iceland.

The weight was a big thing for me - I almost always take it with me now whereas before, with heavier lenses, I'd think twice.
Indeed, unfortunately I also do hiking and long distance trail walking photography adventure hence weight is also a factor I need to consider.

Beautiful shots - whereabouts were you? Looks like Iceland.
It is Iceland.

I asked about charging batteries in the R5's battery grip using a USB power pack some time ago. Just to update if anyone's interested I finally tried this with the DELL USB C power pack I use for my laptop yesterday and it charged both batteries successfully.

If I'm interpreting the LEDs on the grip correctly it appeared to charge one first and then switch to charging the other.

It should charge directly via USB-C cable. Unless you can charge whilst operating the camera? :)
Yes, that's how I was charging. Wasn't sure how it would work with two batteries loaded in the grip previously. I did wonder if the larger power supply would allow charging whilst powered up but the LEDs on the grip turned off when powered up.

Don't think you can, you'll get used to it... don't worry about photos - rather have more than missing shots... in the end it is just tedious delete game :D
Idk, there's only so many cards I'd like to carry especially considering how expensive fast cards are :D
Then selecting process is tedious too, deleting is easy ;)

Idk, there's only so many cards I'd like to carry especially considering how expensive fast cards are :D
Then selecting process is tedious too, deleting is easy ;)
Missed that selection step (y) yes that's the hard bit lol.

Why not just choose mechanical shutter instead?
no 20fps perhaps...

I like to shoot short burst at 20fps ... hard to judge with no sound at all.

I would probably get used to it but considering all the bells and whistles on the R5 I find it strange there is no option (bit like no 5/6 fps option that I can see in ES as well)
I do know what you mean. I try to be light fingered unless it is something special, and it is hard to guess how many you're taking.

I've been out with my Olympus this morning and set it to Low fps, and even then I think I have customised the setting. I have over 1100 images to go through... actually this has prompted me to check my settings... it seems I have low silent set to 18fps and high to 15fps :LOL:

Edit: I should add it was something special :)

Last edited:
I do know what you mean. I try to be light fingered unless it is something special, and it is hard to guess how many you're taking.

I've been out with my Olympus this morning and set it to Low fps, and even then I think I have customised the setting. I have over 1100 images to go through... actually this has prompted me to check my settings... it seems I have low silent set to 18fps and high to 15fps :LOL:

Edit: I should add it was something special :)
I am getting to grips with my R3 and as I mostly shoot sports and at 30fps but I also shoot in very short bursts and seem to not take any more images than before with my old set up. Perhaps after years of doing that, my discipline is good? In fact I sometimes miss the peak action because I don't hold the shutter button down long enough :oops: :$

I am getting to grips with my R3 and as I mostly shoot sports and at 30fps but I also shoot in very short bursts and seem to not take any more images than before with my old set up. Perhaps after years of doing that, my discipline is good? In fact I sometimes miss the peak action because I don't hold the shutter button down long enough :oops: :$
That's interesting. I had to remind myself to keep shooting this morning. I like to do sports too, but it was a bird against a busy background this morning, so inevitably there are quite a few oof.

Just to update those who are interested with my post above.
I have had my R3 a few weeks now and I am finding that the files look fantastic straight out of the camera. Taking mainly sports I rarely do any heavy post processing apart from the usual minor tweaks, straighten, crop etc. Yes the it is very expensive but the camera has blown me away in terms of what it is capable of doing. I still need to tweak the auto focus as I have noticed it can lock onto the wrong players eye occasionally (most likely me) but I am getting a far greater hit rate that before with my trusty old 1D MK IV.
My next test will be to shoot midweek games under very poor floodlights which I have been unable to even attempt with my 1D.

That's interesting. I had to remind myself to keep shooting this morning. I like to do sports too, but it was a bird against a busy background this morning, so inevitably there are quite a few oof.
I know what you mean. Those busy backgrounds do play havoc with fooling the focusing. Last week I had the same issue at my local nature reserve and still to try getting any birds in flight. I'm going to pop down again later today whilst the light is good. As always normally the birds are either too small or too far away :(

First proper go out with the R3 and adapted EF lenses.

Turned subject tracking off as it seems to make the focus wonder and found expanded single point a lot more responsive and accurate for me.

Had to drop it down from H+ as its just to easy to not realise how many images you have taken.

Bit gutted to have the camera shut down completely on day two mid shoot with an error 70 code in the logs but after a battery pull it ran fine again all day for another 1000 or so shots.

Battery performance was good enough to last me a day but will definitely need a spare.

As long as it doesn't keep throwing up errors like my pair of 1DX MKII's did i may just change my mind on parting with it for a 1DX MKIII.

i-TGMh7ms-XL.jpg

i-sFWpfhF-XL.jpg

i-DLDB7j4-XL.jpg

i-ftJGMSC-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Turned subject tracking off as it seems to make the focus wonder and found expanded single point a lot more responsive and accurate for me.

That’s interesting Glen, the examples you’ve posted look good. Looking to try my R5 out with Bsb over coming weeks and was hoping the vehicle tracking would come into its own.

First event under the belt for the R5. Poorly lit MMA event, where ISO gets ramped up heavily. Even in low light, the AF eye tracking worked a treat, rarely getting fooled by the cage, as single point servo on my 5D3 often did. Ran most of the event at 12,800 ISO, which is way above my previous comfort zone, but even at that level, images perfectly usable for purpose, and comparable to my 5D3 at 3200. Really really impressive, and the AF makes this sort of shooting a lot easier. Yet to try this out for vehicle tracking, but first impressions on practical use in an event setting are very very good. Maybe even justifies the price tag :D

First proper go out with the R3 and adapted EF lenses.

Had to drop it down from H+ as its just to easy to not realise how many images you have taken.

Bit gutted to have the camera shut down completely on day two mid shoot with an error 70 code in the logs but after a battery pull it ran fine again all day for another 1000 or so shots.

Battery performance was good enough to last me a day but will definitely need a spare.

As long as it doesn't keep throwing up errors like my pair of 1DX MKII's did i may just change my mind on parting with it for a 1DX MKIII.
I've had similar issues when shooting football and it can sometimes jump focus onto the wrong player. Mainly if there are a large group of players but I'm still getting to grips with the
focusing. I would say I get more keepers than my trusty old 1D MK IV.

The only other minor problem was a couple of times my R3 would go to sleep and wouldn't wake straight away but I've switched that off in the settings.

Overall it's a brilliant camera and the files straight out of the camera look great IMO and I'm sure many years of use. Hopefully you won't suffer any more error codes.

I've just been notified of an update to the firmware for the R5 (and R6), v. 1.5.2 with improvements to the focusing on moving subjects.
Has anyone done this successfully yet?

When I download it the file is small - only 65MB and then the .dmg won't run on my Mac.

Edit: Have managed to open it okay now and R5 updated. Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:
So far so good using v1.5.2 on the R6. It’s still not perfect but certainly no worse in my limited use.

Updated my R5 a few days ago to 1.5.2 and with limited testing around the garden, it seems like an improvement to me shooting small birds. Eye AF has been very good and I’ve not come across any down sides yet to updating.

Not updated my r5 firmware the last one has started it locking up and have to turn it of and on to clear when it goes to sleep refuses to wake up so I was waiting to see how this one pans out Behop
Oh no! I know there were a few problems last time, but I didn't experience any.

I've been taking lots of birds in flight photos this last week, so I'm keen to see if there is an improvement.

Sometimes I hate technology so much... got too much equipment you could say. Anyway, was on a shoot with the R5. CF card and SD card as backup. all going well, great images. CF card eventually fills up so naturally I take it out and continue with the SD (back up the CF card etc). And then,,, I get back home and load them up and all the images on the SD card are in JPEG. I ALWAYS shoot RAW regardless, so it's just annoying... JPEGS are useless in my opinion or what I do. Fortunally, all the RAW are great, and the JPEG are OK not being the main ones, and I had my trusty G9 on hand and had shot on that too so all OK - and of course, the client won't notice anything but I do......

SO GODANG ANNOYING. Of course, user error I had obviously got some setting somehow set so that SD only records RAW but still... talk about wanting to shoot someone!

Sometimes I hate technology so much... got too much equipment you could say. Anyway, was on a shoot with the R5. CF card and SD card as backup. all going well, great images. CF card eventually fills up so naturally I take it out and continue with the SD (back up the CF card etc). And then,,, I get back home and load them up and all the images on the SD card are in JPEG. I ALWAYS shoot RAW regardless, so it's just annoying... JPEGS are useless in my opinion or what I do. Fortunally, all the RAW are great, and the JPEG are OK not being the main ones, and I had my trusty G9 on hand and had shot on that too so all OK - and of course, the client won't notice anything but I do......

SO GODANG ANNOYING. Of course, user error I had obviously got some setting somehow set so that SD only records RAW but still... talk about wanting to shoot someone!
Hit Q button to set your SD card as RAW and it will remain as default until you accidently change it again

Im still looking at the long lens options for wildlife but being new to canon I’m not 100% sure what options are really out there. I thought ask advice on here. I’d like a lens in the 300mm to 400mm range preferably with an aperture of no smaller than f4 and not too heavy (up to around 2kg max). Firstly I know this is quite an ask. my reasons are Im usually only out at sunrise and sunset so light is quite low.

So far it’s looking like the canon 300mm f4 IS or maybe the 400mm f4 DO mk 1 at s push. I’ve thought of the sigma 120-300 f2.8 but it’s 3.5kg which is really too heavy for me. I used to have a Nikon 200-400 f4 but whilst it was a great lens and versatile it was just too heavy that you knew you were carrying it so I’d not always take it and took a shorter lighter lens or wouldn’t take that extra walk on the off chance there would be a good opportunity to be had.

my questions about the 400mm f4 mk1 are around it’s performance and quality but also about repairability. It’s an older lens design which came out around 2000 so I’m guessing there are potential repair issues due to its age.

my ideal lens would probably be the 400mm f4 Do mk2 but at circa £4500 used it’s not really something I can really justify. If im honest with myself the most cost effective option would probably be buying a 300mm f4 and hiring the 400mm f4 DO mk2 for certain weekends of the year. WEX rental do the 400mm f4 for £59 for the weekend which seems a good price for a few weekends a year. I’m thinking of doing the canon test drive for the 400mm f4 DO mk2 in the autumn.

what’s everyone use lens wise for wildlife? any pointers/help would be appreciate. I should probably say I’m using a R6.

100-400mm mkII. Personally I think that the R5 and R6 are good enough at high ISO to get away with f/5.6 especially when used with current software such as DXO.
That is potentially an option. I had the Sony 100-400 with the A9 but seemed to find I was often dropping the shutter speed below my preferred 1/500 even with iso up to 6400. In the worst light I was at ISO6400 and below 1/200. I guess I need to have more faith in the iso performance of modern cameras. I currently use lightroom so may need to brush up on noise processing. I do miss the subject isolation you get from faster lenses.

That is potentially an option. I had the Sony 100-400 with the A9 but seemed to find I was often dropping the shutter speed below my preferred 1/500 even with iso up to 6400. In the worst light I was at ISO6400 and below 1/200. I guess I need to have more faith in the iso performance of modern cameras. I currently use lightroom so may need to brush up on noise processing. I do miss the subject isolation you get from faster lenses.
For weight and cost I do think it’s the best option.

I cannot get my Canon RS80-N3 remote to work with my R5. I have used it in the past, and I suspect it has failed on me, but does anyone know if there is any setting anywhere that might be the reason? Am I doing something silly?

I've put it on mechanical shutter and single frame. It is set up for the double back button focus.

I cannot get my Canon RS80-N3 remote to work with my R5. I have used it in the past, and I suspect it has failed on me, but does anyone know if there is any setting anywhere that might be the reason? Am I doing something silly?

I've put it on mechanical shutter and single frame. It is set up for the double back button focus.
I had this when testing with a lens cap on and set to only take pictures when focus confirmed, could it be something like that?

Back