Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I’ve just been talking about lens filter thread sizes and the Kase magnetic filters on the Sony thread. When I moved over to canon I’d noticed that all of the RF lenses I’d probably like in the future would all be 77mm threads (14-35 f4, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f4, 100-500). It’s just occurred to me how lucky we are that canon did that (not do luckily on the f2.8 trinity lens set as they use 77mm and 82mm threads).

As the magnetic adapters have to stay on the lens permanently (otherwise there’s not as much benefit from the ease of use with the magnetic system) it’s got me thinking that the OEM lens hoods would otherwise be useless as they wouldn’t fit if you stepped up in filter size above the lens’ actual thread size. If you had different lens thread sizes you’d practically need a different sized magnetic filter set for each lens if you still wanted to use lens hoods. Of course this isn’t as much of a problem with the Lee 100mm system as that system doesn’t fit the OEM lens hoods.

My copy turned out to be an absolute pig . Only right side is sharp, massive decentering, so shipping it back on Monday. Af consistency is also super unreliable on 5ds; only question is if that is to do specifically with decentering.
I'm debating if I should still ask the shop to find me a good copy or just demand for a straight refund and refocus on lenses that I know work well like 85 and 105mm?
I presume you have a good copy. How do you find af accuracy and speed on r5 in tracking mode should I get the combo. For R6 the lens is an overkill if I can't get it performing well on 5ds. R6 should be happy enough with a 2nd rate lens like 35 art
I'm so sorry that you found the lens to be wonky

I'm afraid that I have not used the lens in tracking mode and so cannot advise - I have only used it in spot and found it quick and reliable

Dave

2 x R6 MK2s will be landing tomorrow from Panamoz. Looking forward to having a play. I'll send off one of my R6's for repair and report (new shutter/hot shoe) back the costs. I have platinum CPS, so it should be done quickly, provided the parts are in stock. I'm estimating about £700 for the repair, considering I paid nearly £500 for a shutter 3 years ago.

I really need to sell some stuff to pay for them. I have a 5d mk4, 70-200 f2.8 ii ef, 85 1.2ii ef and an RF 85 1.4 Samyang, but I might keep that.

Last edited:
Shot a wedding yesterday using one of the R6's, didn't get time to set the second one up. Please Canon, why don't you let us do the Save settings like the R5! Took around 2500 shots on it.

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed with the Mk2. I actually think I prefer the AF on the mk1. It seems to try and work out what to focus on first before grabbing an eye/face. Quite often, it would track a window frame or something random in the background instead of a face or just generally hunt around when it knows there's a face detected as the grey box shows those. I've turned off anything I can find that would cause this too just to focus on face/eye tracking too. Zero reason so far to get this for stills over the mk1 IMO.

Shot a wedding yesterday using one of the R6's, didn't get time to set the second one up. Please Canon, why don't you let us do the Save settings like the R5! Took around 2500 shots on it.

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed with the Mk2. I actually think I prefer the AF on the mk1. It seems to try and work out what to focus on first before grabbing an eye/face. Quite often, it would track a window frame or something random in the background instead of a face or just generally hunt around when it knows there's a face detected as the grey box shows those. I've turned off anything I can find that would cause this too just to focus on face/eye tracking too. Zero reason so far to get this for stills over the mk1 IMO.
This will most likely be sorted out in the upcoming firmware updates. Hence it is good idea to not buy such tech on day 1 but wait at least 2-3 months

Apologies is it’s already been posted but firmware 1.7.0 is out for the R5
updated mine today as 2 days ago had 3 lockup’s in a morning which I’ve not had before, probably card related as the problem went away when I swapped out the card
camera locked up 3 shots into a burst
luckily I still got the shot I was after but decided to update the firmware anyway
weird though as I very rarely have lockups
camera seems fine now

After a lot of playing, i think I've nailed the AF on the R6 mkii. I'm not sure what they changed up the terminology of the settings compared to every other Canon I've had. I'll put around 10K+ worth of images through them over the the next 2 weeks, so ill give a proper review then.

Is there any way to play back clog3 video files from canon R6 on a mid-range recent intel laptop? All I get is static image and sound. On the big rig I somehow managed to get VLC to play it after playing with settings, but can' replicate on the laptop. It would be nice to know while still on the job if my videos are on the spot or need redoing. I find the camera LCD too small for critical evalution

Is there any way to play back clog3 video files from canon R6 on a mid-range recent intel laptop? All I get is static image and sound. On the big rig I somehow managed to get VLC to play it after playing with settings, but can' replicate on the laptop. It would be nice to know while still on the job if my videos are on the spot or need redoing. I find the camera LCD too small for critical evalution
What spec video files? What spec laptop? What spec hard drive?

Sent one of my R6 in for repair to Canon. A new shutter and wobbly hot shoe sorted. The total cost is £430. Shutter replacement seems cheaper on the R6 compared to my 5dmkiv/iii.
That’d make sense as a DSLR ‘shutter replacement’ usually includes the mirrorbox mechanism too IIRC. So it’s perfectly logical that a shutter alone would be cheaper.

There are some very good offers on amazon at present for RF lenses. Several lenses are reduced and have a further discount voucher that can be applied. If canon winter cash back is also available via amazon it makes some of them a absolute steal. For example the Canon RF 100-500 is on there reduced to £2522.47 with an additional voucher of £267.22 taking it down to £2255.28. That alone is a great price, if the canon winter cash back of £210 can be applied too that's £2040.28 for a Canon RF 100-500 lens!

Lots of RF lens now appearing on amazon with discounts. The 14-35 with £120 cash back would make it circa £1195 which is an unbelievable price for a UK lens. Even without the cash back its still a great price.

Last edited:
Random question. But are all of the R7 boxes coming with an adapter included now?

Just that I bought one for my partner this Christmas. And seems as she’s only going to be using an RF lens on it (plus I have several already) it wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

But I was under the impression it was only up to a certain stage of preorders.

Random question. But are all of the R7 boxes coming with an adapter included now?

Just that I bought one for my partner this Christmas. And seems as she’s only going to be using an RF lens on it (plus I have several already) it wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

But I was under the impression it was only up to a certain stage of preorders.

No, it was only the initial pre-orders.

Yeah, I thought that was the case.

Must’ve been put in mistakenly then. As I only got it on impulse when they arrived in stock on the week up to Christmas.

Apparently when Canon decided to stop including it demand was far outstripping supply (probably why they stopped tbh) the retailers had to tell Canon how many pre-orders they had at that time. Maybe you got lucky and received a cancellation from someone fed up waiting with one in as they have only just finished supplying pre-orders.

Anyway, basically a £80 discount if you sell it as that seems to be the going rate for them. :clap:

Definately not an image I'd normally show off, I didn't have the light for inflights and I bombed the exposure. I did though want to try the eye AF on the R7 whilst in the hide for an hour yesterday.

The eye AF is fantastic, it's bordering on witchcraft.

The rolling shutter with the electronic shutter leaves a lot to be desired. 1/1600 of a second, a little slow. I'm guessing a faster shutter speed would help with the rolling shutter?

I used the Sigma 150-600C, I didn't experience any pulsing problems with the AF, no more than I would with EF glass.

In fairness, conditions weren't ideal and I was a little rusty with the R7. Posting this just to show the rolling shutter.

IMGL0195 WEB JP TP.jpg

Yes it’s a pain in the backside on the r7 hopping they sort it out with a firmware Dale not noticed it on the r5 but I must say the R7 has a lot better the eye auto focus only used my r7 twice as not been well enough to give it a blast ?
Unfortunately it can’t be sorted out by firmware as it is a hardware issue.
The R5 has a much faster sensor readout speed, so much less prone to rolling shutter.

I am wondering if anybody has had any issues with the R5 latest firmware upgrade?
Not so far haven’t been able to try it out properly yet camera did briefly lock up two days ago but tried it yesterday was all good

So that means files needing about 1000 Mbps? Should be within the capabilities of the laptop. Have you checked the laptop has the necessary codecs, e.g. https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm?
I'm not getting anywhere with that on the laptop. Desktop with 3060 TI just barely copes. I know H265 files aren't the easiest but I'm surprised they just won't play at all.

I have another R6 special sanction right up my backside. 16-35 F4 lens has distortion correction available in stills mode but is crossed out in video mode. So where it actually counts the don't let you use it. :headbang: this surely has to be firmware bug or a nice way of saying I should spend £1.5k on a crappy plastic 14-35 lens and hope that works.

The local brick croft reserve (well it's about 8 miles and twenty minutes away) has all the usual culprits and seeing as it's not the best time of year for macro, here are a few New Years Day wildlife photos.

tree_rat_a_4k-XL.jpg

robin_e_4k-XL.jpg

robin_d_4k-XL.jpg

robin_b_4k-XL.jpg

robin_a_4k-XL.jpg

chaffinch_a_4k-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Recorded a few videos on my R5 today. I am in no way an expert and have never really used video before other slicing a few tribute videos together on windows movie maker (when it existed).

I recored a video with the camera upside down and I used high frame rate mode and as a result my videos are upside down (surprise surprise, thought there may be something that recognised this and corrected automatically though...) and in VLC a 5 minute or so video plays at a length of 20 minutes, i presume because i sellected high frame rate mode, cant think of any other reason why....

so can anyone advice some free software to edit the video - slice and dice, re-orientate and sort the play back speed out so I can set it to what I want.

edit: looking at the exif data it still seems to only be 25 fps though... so not sure what that high frame rate mode is...

Last edited:
I have hardly used my R7 due to the size of it and lack of a grip. I just can't get on with it when I have a big lens attached (95% of the time). Anyway, I found a 3D print someone had done (one of 3 different models) and downloaded it. I then found a company online that does 3D printing and loaded it into their online pricing to see what it would cost me.

So here it is, it's a bit rough around the edges but a bit of sanding should sort that out and it cost me the grand sum of £22 delivered to my door (ordered Friday, came just a few hours ago). The tripod screw didn't come with it and it took me ages to find something long enough (but not too long). Can even change the battery with it on.

PXL_20230108_111240549.PORTRAIT~2.jpgPXL_20230108_111309035.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

I have hardly used my R7 due to the size of it and lack of a grip. I just can't get on with it when I have a big lens attached (95% of the time). Anyway, I found a 3D print someone had done (one of 3 different models) and downloaded it. I then found a company online that does 3D printing and loaded it into their online pricing to see what it would cost me.

So here it is, it's a bit rough around the edges but a bit of sanding should sort that out and it cost me the grand sum of £22 delivered to my door (ordered Friday, came just a few hours ago). The tripod screw didn't come with it and it took me ages to find something long enough (but not too long). Can even change the battery with it on.

View attachment 378073View attachment 378074

That's very cool.

I've not used my R7 that much either, although I hope that will change quite soon with the Kingfisher season being just around the corner.

TBH I haven't used any camera much, the weather has been abysmal here ... even now it's absolutely chucking it down outside.

Yup, my 5D hasn't seen much daylight either.

View attachment 378073View attachment 378074
I printed my grip for the R7 fits really well and adds no weight to it just have to unscrew it to change the battery

Attachments

• 20230108_135047.jpg
    20230108_135047.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230108_135022.jpg
    20230108_135022.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 26
Back