Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Just wondering, anybody used the R6mkii for wildlife? ....
Obviously it doesn't have the "reach" of the R7 either but based on my buddy using an R7 and me using an R6ii it would appear that the low light/high ISO performance is much more forgiving on the R6ii (as you'd probably expect)

Does it work for wildlife? Depends on the subject & lens choice... works for me (Red squirrels that are fearless at my favoured spot; Ospreys in flight around their eyrie, ...) but I can also see that it might be frustrating if you're used to a crop sensor.

Located in the Borders - could possibly meet up midway(ish) at some point?

Last edited:
wildlife is a game about getting in the right place at the right time. If you can't crop deep enough just means you were way too far away. Going from 400 to 600mm to 800mm may help a little but again similar story. If you can near enough fill the frame by going 400 --> 800 or R6 --> R7 then fair enough move. Otherwise money is clearly better spent elsewhere.

P.S. I am not a big fan of sitting in a swamp all day but I well know the difference between cropping 400mm frame to a completely useless 1600px worth of heron, and getting a ton of frame filling shots of the same at 200mm or less. Different day, different location, different bird. I had 600mm prime too, and was still mostly in the former situation. It is not my game, and unless I have a house in the middle of some fancy wildlife location screw it. It is not for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies on the R6mkii, I will wait for something else I think.(y)

I own 7Dii, R7, Sony NEX5R and A6600 so I have a spread of Mega Pixel size sensors.
The 7Dii at 20.2mp is ok, and it does show its age in ISO performance and Eye AF ( or lack off ) when compared to the R7 and A6600.
The R7 is great for wildlife, and yes cropping in does help an awful lot compared to say yje 7Dii 20.2mp.

IMO this is my take on R cameras, R3 great for sport and big wildlife, R5 a very good all rounder camera, portrait, landscape, wildlife, etc, R6ii good for portraits, weddings, street, product etc, R7 wildlife, and sports, R8 weddings, portraits, product use on the cheap.

if I had extra money to spare I would get a R6ii to compliment my R7 for non wildlife shoots. The Eye AF is much better than the R7 which is so much superior than my 7Dii.
However I do not enjoy using it as I get frustrated with now and then regarding a few issues. My Sony A6600 is a great camera to use and enjoyable little travel which I use for City breaks, holidays or places I need a small set up.
Also the A6600 can use a dedicated sigma 18-50 f2.8 lens which I do not have for my R7 as canon are dicking around with third party authorisation. That is fine with me, just make a bl**dy 18-50 / 18-70 f2.8 as the R7 has not got short focal length and fast lens !

Looking for some help, i have permission to take pix at a large indoor concert. I am wondering what camera what camera i should take with me.Would it be My eos R or my R7.I will have my ef 24 -70 2.8 and ef 70 - 200 2.8. Got permission for the first 3 songs.

Looking for some help, i have permission to take pix at a large indoor concert. I am wondering what camera what camera i should take with me.Would it be My eos R or my R7.I will have my ef 24 -70 2.8 and ef 70 - 200 2.8. Got permission for the first 3 songs.
Depends on how far you from the subject, how bright, what type of lighting at the venue, what the expectations are from the client.
I have an 7Dii, R7, Sony A6600, so for a inside venue I may take my A6600 and sigma 18-50 f.2.8 as it is small and I have a f2.8 fast lens.
Canon do not have a equitant lens for the RFs mount, so I adapt my sigma EF mount 17-70 f2.8-4 lens. Only issue is it does pulse slightly which means some shots are out of focus.

So there are a lot of variable to take on board.

Hi T
the venue is a big concert hall so i would hope the lighting would be good, and the pix are only for my own use.I am leaning towards the R7 for the auto focus

Why not take both?
Put the 24-70 on the R and the 70-200 on the R7 meaning you can cover almost any situation without swapping lenses. And because you only have 3 songs to shoot, you don't have time to mess around swapping lenses.
I shot an event a couple of weeks ago with a similar setup. It would be my preferred way to do it. If you're already taking both lenses, it's only a little more weight to take a second body.

New firmware 1.2.0 for EOS R6 Mk II

Firmware Version 1.2.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
1. Adds support for the RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens.
2. Adds enhanced security when transferring images via FTPS transfer.
3. Adds support for the Software Development Assistance Kit (EDSDK/CCAPI).
4. Fixes minor issues.

Some impressively sharp images. I'd like to see comparisons between Canon camera models - advantages, disadvantages, overlap...

Just wondering, anybody used the R6mkii for wildlife? I'm thinking about it, the camera appeals to me, except the MP. Just for disclosure, I'm not caught up in any megapixel races but my concern is that I already have 2 cameras that are 30mp (5Div) and 33mp (R7) and I'm just trying to figure out if it's that much of a step back (for want of a better term) in a wildlife scenario?

There's lots of other caveats and considerations with wildlife of course, so this is a very generally speaking based question.

My 5Div isn't going anywhere soon but the R6mkii seems to offer other things, particularly the AF.
A bit of a late reply I know.... but I have recently sold my long Canon lenses and bought the expensive OM lens for wildlife. Although I thought I understood about the step down in pixels on the OM1 versus the R5, what I hadn't taken on board was how much easier it is to shoot active wildlife from a wider angle and then crop in, than to have little spare space around your subject. On my OM lens I effectively have 1000mm focal length at f/5.6 - or 800mm at f/4.5 which is great, but I have missed the ability to leave space for a bird in flight and then crop, and I have had to improve my tracking skills.

Price already increased unfortunately.
That didn’t last long! I see it is £449 today, but still a good discount in comparison to the £600 ish which the mainstream UK retailers are asking.

I know there are online rumours that the new Canon R5ii is likely to be announced towards the end of the year but I was just idly browsing the net and noticed that the grey suppliers - HDEW and Panamoz have the current R5 body only for either £2600 or £2900, when the current UK price pretty much anywhere is £4300. I wonder if this is indicative that Canon are releasing "old model" stock in advance of the launch ?

Last edited:
I know there are online rumours that the new Canon R5ii is likely to be announced towards the end of the year but I was just idly browsing the net and noticed that the grey suppliers - HDEW and Panamoz have the current R5 body only for either £2600 or £2900, when the current UK price pretty much anywhere is £4300. I wonder if this is indicative that Canon are releasing "old model" stock in advance of the launch ?
You’d likely see that in the UK through “official” retailers with discounts and bundle deals.
This may just be a coincidence and exchange rates?

You’d likely see that in the UK through “official” retailers with discounts and bundle deals.
It is possible but it's certainly a massive difference. I just checked B&H and their price is also £2800. Perhaps it's just me not keeping tabs on current pricing

Panamoz was well under £3k for a while. UK prices are just ridiculous. Insulting. R6 is much closer and almost reversed. So they can give decent price when they want and after I bought it.
I could get it there but the thought of much improved (hopefully) r5ii stops me

£200 Xmas cashback?! Lol, yeah that will go a long way /sarcasm

Just moved over to an R + R6ii set up, very pleased with this set up for taking into those dark photo pits in venues.

On the subject of grey imports.
Would anyone know of a (reputable) import company that would stock the likes of the 600 f4 etc.?

I’ve looked on Panamoz and HDEW. But it’s obviously not within their range :D

On the subject of grey imports.
Would anyone know of a (reputable) import company that would stock the likes of the 600 f4 etc.?

I’ve looked on Panamoz and HDEW. But it’s obviously not within their range :D

I did not know any of the aforementioned dealers have super-telephoto prime lenses. Sometimes places like WEX does a 0% finance, this is how I fund my EF500mm II back in those days.

Now I travel to Japan once a year, I could make use of the lower market RRP, better currency conversion, and 10% tax discount = win-win. I.e. Wex selling Canon RF 600mm F4 for £14,179, and on Japan it is YEN 1,867,800 google currency conversion is £10,285.56 and after 10% discount tax = £9,267.01

I did not know any of the aforementioned dealers have super-telephoto prime lenses. Sometimes places like WEX does a 0% finance, this is how I fund my EF500mm II back in those days.

Now I travel to Japan once a year, I could make use of the lower market RRP, better currency conversion, and 10% tax discount = win-win. I.e. Wex selling Canon RF 600mm F4 for £14,179, and on Japan it is YEN 1,867,800 google currency conversion is £10,285.56 and after 10% discount tax = £9,267.01

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I’ve been using the 500 II on a regular basis for a few years now.

Had my sights set on hunting down a good condition copy of the 600 III; as from what I can gather the RF version is literally an adapter bolted on to it.
Which, in my books, isn’t worth the extra 4K on top of what the average (used) EF III is fetching.

That’s what made me think of grey imports; after reading all of the recent posts on here to try and get a “cheaper” new RF copy.

WEX have a good copy of the Mark II in stock atm. The extra weight between the 2 doesn’t bother me; as I use a Wimberley monogimbal setup.

But the inevitable lack of support from canon sooner rather than later does…

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I’ve been using the 500 II on a regular basis for a few years now.

Had my sights set on hunting down a good condition copy of the 600 III; as from what I can gather the RF version is literally an adapter bolted on to it.
Which, in my books, isn’t worth the extra 4K on top of what the average (used) EF III is fetching.

That’s what made me think of grey imports; after reading all of the recent posts on here to try and get a “cheaper” new RF copy.

WEX have a good copy of the Mark II in stock atm. The extra weight between the 2 doesn’t bother me; as I use a Wimberley monogimbal setup.

But the inevitable lack of support from canon sooner rather than later does…

Ah cool, if you're not particularly bothered with RF then just wait for the EF 600mm III. I used it but still prefer 500mm as it's smaller and easier to do international travel. But that said, I will not buy another super white unless Canon has what Nikon is doing and costs.

I do not have faith in Canon on this given what Nikon is doing and offering in their super telephoto lens department. That 600mm PF announcement and cost makes me wanted to get Z8+600mm setup. Damn Canon charge a fortune and yet not really doing new stuffs. By slapping a converter on the EF lens, call it a day and charge more is just ridiculous.

Who knows I might just sell what I have, head to Japan next year and get Z8+600mmPF brand new and still have cost savings than buying in the UK.

Ah cool, if you're not particularly bothered with RF then just wait for the EF 600mm III. I used it but still prefer 500mm as it's smaller and easier to do international travel. But that said, I will not buy another super white unless Canon has what Nikon is doing and costs.

I do not have faith in Canon on this given what Nikon is doing and offering in their super telephoto lens department. That 600mm PF announcement and cost makes me wanted to get Z8+600mm setup. Damn Canon charge a fortune and yet not really doing new stuffs. By slapping a converter on the EF lens, call it a day and charge more is just ridiculous.

Who knows I might just sell what I have, head to Japan next year and get Z8+600mmPF brand new and still have cost savings than buying in the UK.

Don’t get me wrong. I think I’d rather have an RF version when spending that kind of money.

But (I’m probably wrong on this) I keep thinking that with what canon have done with the current RF 600; that the life cycle of this current one will be a lot less than the usual white teles.

It just seems to me like some temporary “get by”…

I’m with you on the lagging behind the likes of Sony and Nikon though in the choice of the latest teles.
I’m definitely a “first light” shooter these day though; and (as you probably know) having f4 upwards at your disposal can be an absolute godsend.

Don’t get me wrong. I think I’d rather have an RF version when spending that kind of money.

But (I’m probably wrong on this) I keep thinking that with what canon have done with the current RF 600; that the life cycle of this current one will be a lot less than the usual white teles.

It just seems to me like some temporary “get by”…

I’m with you on the lagging behind the likes of Sony and Nikon though in the choice of the latest teles.
I’m definitely a “first light” shooter these day though; and (as you probably know) having f4 upwards at your disposal can be an absolute godsend.

I never tried RF 600mm but hearsay that there aren't many differences between the EF version even the AF is the same.

To me, with the noise reduction (Topaz, DXO PureRaw, Lightroom), I am not too worried about shooting 2-3 stops higher in ISO with the extreme exception of ISO12,800 onwards. So, F4 isn't really in my number 1 list when considering super telephoto, yes F4 is great! But, at the great expense of £££ and weight.

I never tried RF 600mm but hearsay that there aren't many differences between the EF version even the AF is the same.

To me, with the noise reduction (Topaz, DXO PureRaw, Lightroom), I am not too worried about shooting 2-3 stops higher in ISO with the extreme exception of ISO12,800 onwards. So, F4 isn't really in my number 1 list when considering super telephoto, yes F4 is great! But, at the great expense of £££ and weight.
Yeah, I need to try this NR sometime.

I’ve got the adobe CC package; but never really use the LR part..

Never been unhappy with low light on my R5. But my partner has an R7 she uses ( or me most of the time ) and that can do with being be a bit “cleaner” in lower light at times.

Last edited:
Why not take both?
Put the 24-70 on the R and the 70-200 on the R7 meaning you can cover almost any situation without swapping lenses. And because you only have 3 songs to shoot, you don't have time to mess around swapping lenses.
I shot an event a couple of weeks ago with a similar setup. It would be my preferred way to do it. If you're already taking both lenses, it's only a little more weight to take a second body.
I do the same now, I put a ef70-300L IS USM on my R7 and a sigma 18-50 f2.8 on my Sony A6600 a very good combo !

Wonder how much “extra” the tripod foot will cost?
As the listings I’ve seen so far don’t include it in their box contents :D

I think the tripod foot is permanently attached to the lens. I think there's going to be a few 100mm-500mm up for sale soon.

Last edited:
I think the tripod foot is permanently attached to the lens. I think there's going to be a few 100mm-500mm up for sale soon.

That’s what made me ask.
If you look at the photos on the likes of WEX etc. the first photo is without the foot attached.

That 24-105 looks very tempting... Big, heavy & expensive though...

It looks like a lens that may be bundled as an accessory with 100-300 f2.8 lens :ROFLMAO:

Basically irrelevant for most people.

Mtf graphs are not very exciting if you care about ultimate sharpness, or same level mediocrity as RF 24-70mm. Another fancy portrait mega zoom.

Back