catclick's 52 week challenge 2021 - Done & Dusted

Very cool. Like how it's framed between the trees. Almost looks staged - like a model up the catwalk. Focus looks a tad short - as if the head has just been missed, but that might be my monitor/eyesight.

Not seen a badger in real life yet, so this is a nice compromise. Fab.

The composition, and the framing offered by the trees really make this for me. Dead jealous, I think the only badgers I've ever seen are roadkill.

Very cool. Like how it's framed between the trees. Almost looks staged - like a model up the catwalk. Focus looks a tad short - as if the head has just been missed, but that might be my monitor/eyesight.

Not seen a badger in real life yet, so this is a nice compromise. Fab.
Thanks. The sett is just beyond the trees and they came through between the trees, just like a catwalk! The most I saw here was 4 but a friend saw 8. The focus is definitely on the eye at f2.8 and 200mm, but because the light is fading so drastically when they come out to play, I've had to lighten it and it was very noisy. Ran it through Topaz denoise, so that may have softened it? I think the best I could have done with the conditions?

Last edited:
Ran it through Topaz denoise, so that may have softened it?
It's very difficult to tell. I think there is some sort of compression when you upload straight to the forum that softens things. I know my images always look soft vs what I see in LR or on print. But then it could easily be my eyesight.

As already said.. great composition. We have them around but I've never seen one in the flesh.

Them badgers can run fast, I chased one down a road in my car some years back. Nice to see him in a proper setting.

Pete

Really like it. Interesting and fun.

Snappers - Cool fun shot. How was it lit as you only seem to have lit the subject, and not the background.
it could do with a bit of shadow / reflection against the black as it feels a bit floaty.
Unnatural - I dunno, I think it does look a bit like flowers. Nicely done. Lit with flash?
Natural - I hope that was a long telephoto lens. I wouldn't get that up close and personal with something that has horns like that ! ;)

Snappers - Cool fun shot. How was it lit as you only seem to have lit the subject, and not the background.
it could do with a bit of shadow / reflection against the black as it feels a bit floaty.
Unnatural - I dunno, I think it does look a bit like flowers. Nicely done. Lit with flash?
Natural - I hope that was a long telephoto lens. I wouldn't get that up close and personal with something that has horns like that ! ;)
Snappers choice - just fading ambient light from the window - long exposure, black background. Not got to grips with flash photography.
Unnatural - again ambient light from the window for the smoke, about 0.5 seconds (3 different snuffings). Flowers were taken in the daylight and used refine edges filter in PS.
Natural - Yes! 600mm from a distance of 20-30m, on the other side of the fence :D

Last edited:
Big catch up on comments…
love the badger shot. Really nice positioning in the frame and depth of field.

Clean Cut works well… amazing that you have the reflection on the knife as well as the worktop. I’d have had to cut the orange the other way

The glasses are fun, especially since the frame and foliage are complimentary colours.

Snapper’s - very clever and well lit!

Kudos for being so creative and trying something new for Unnatural. I can see the flower outlines.

Natural - a nicely framed ram portrait. Fits the theme perfectly.

About as on-theme as it's possible to get and well spotted!

Thats is a cracker!

That's an unusual and interesting shot!
Thats is a cracker!
Stunning.
My garage looked like that (well, not quite so imposing) until I paid a lot of money to get all the nasty plant life removed, and then the brickwork re-pointed !!!
Thank you for your comments. I did think it is quite unusual to allow the whole side of the building to be overtaken by the ivy. Another week and I think it will all be red, pretty impressive to see. I just zoomed in to the door to fit the theme.

Great image, well spotted. That's a really interesting subject.

Another great shot of this building - a popular location? How often does the light colour change? Love the perfect reflection.

You wait all year for one Falkirk wheel to come along, and like London buses, you get a bunch together.
Interesting to see it illuminated in blue as opposed to Joan's orange.
Are the lights set to rotate through a number of colours?

Back