weekly Chris P My 2019 52’s Week 36 Soft

I like that second image Chris. Lots of interest to it

I struggled too....definitely a toughie of a theme!
You have done well though, I love your posted image, and your interpretation of the theme is clever!
I do like the second image too though....something about those wood textures....lovely stuff!
Nice work Chris!(y)

There’s lots of good images Chris

Crowd. The ballons tick the box for me, probably the subject is more bright and less distracting than the boats behind the long grass. Good detail in the shot too

Decay. The detail and abstract nature work really well

The image of the Hawk is stunning, very jealous of that. Well done :)

Whole lots of holes I think it the better for the theme as I really like abstract nature and detail
Good work (y)(y)

They both work would like to see the whole door though looks really old and I do like an old door

Hi Chris, it seemed an easy topic but I struggled a bit for an idea too, I really like your choice, the composition with the window is spot on with the house in one side and the tree in the other.
Whole lot of holes works too :)
Hi Susie, the Door was something special and I have a few shots I am saving ! The castle is a fantastic location and I shall return.
I like both shots, but prefer the first, that's excellent!
I really struggled with this week's theme...
Mark, the theme was definitely a tough one. It definitely got me thinking for sure !
It's been a tough theme with many shoehorns.

NOT is a good take on it :)
Thanks Dave, definitely a theme we all had to think about this week. I was quite pleased with the outcome of the shot but have quite a few other for the future
I like that second image Chris. Lots of interest to it
Thanks Ian, the Door must be hundreds of years old full of character. I had visions of arrows and bullets making the holes, that’s my vivid imagination for you !
Whole was a tricky theme till I got the whole milk, think you have done a good job on your take.
Thanks Dave, was tempted with a bar of Cadbury’s Whole Nut ! But I ate it instead !
I struggled too....definitely a toughie of a theme!
You have done well though, I love your posted image, and your interpretation of the theme is clever!
I do like the second image too though....something about those wood textures....lovely stuff!
Nice work Chris!(y)
Thanks Gareth, these themes do make us think ! That’s the magic appeal though of the 52. All of a sudden we spit something and that’s the take !
There’s lots of good images Chris

Crowd. The ballons tick the box for me, probably the subject is more bright and less distracting than the boats behind the long grass. Good detail in the shot too

Decay. The detail and abstract nature work really well

The image of the Hawk is stunning, very jealous of that. Well done :)

Whole lots of holes I think it the better for the theme as I really like abstract nature and detail
Good work (y)(y)
Thanks for your comments, the Hawk was a one-off to be honest. I am not a fan of the birds being captive but talking to the keeper it was rescued and he hand reared so I felt a little better to be honest. These themes do make us think ! Great though.
They both work would like to see the whole door though looks really old and I do like an old door
Ill post a pic Allan of the Whole Door, another take on the whole theme

All good choices for the theme, I am kind of drawn to the flaky paint its very different to what we have seen this week.

Good choice, the colour and detail of the petal and waters drops are great

Great choice, love the colour too Chris! Great stuff!

Fantastic set of images there Chris!(y)
Each one has it's own virtues and marvellously individual styles!
#1 - amazing colours and the focus is right where it needs to be....and those water droplets?...inspired!
#2 - love the use of thin DoF, and the colours work well together.
#3 - you just can't beat a really good peeling paint pic, and yours is first class. I do like the way you have composed this image by 'arranging' the DoF in an unexpected way, so it runs vertically - clever framing!
My favourite is #1 however, it's brilliant and mesmerising!:clap:

Hi Chris,

Food - Works well. Good strong black background allows the egg and wrappers to stand out well.
Smooth - I like that, it has foreground and background interest. I don't mind the verticals being out, it's natural from that angle, but if you're worried about it, LR/PS' perspective correction would have straightened it I'm sure.
Above - I like the first, but the second rocks it. The white against the blue really stands out.
Hot - Well captured, a good range of light to dark there, with the shadow nicely framing the image.
Light - Not really feeling this one for the theme. It might have worked better in colour??? Or a more punchy B&W conversion. Dunno, but worth a look?
Crowd(ed) - The second shot for me. I love the vibrant colours. The first feels like a snapshot really. Nothing jumps out as being in sharp focus (and thus the focal point) and the weeds in the foreground don't (IMO) add anything.
Decay - Fits the theme, makes you wonder what it was. An outdoor hot tub maybe? I do prefer the second shot though. I love the distressed look to the shutters and I'm a sucker for those shades of blue.
Free Week - Both great portraits, with really sharp focus on the eyes (y)
Whole - Loving the whole view through a view vibe going on here. Good choice to go with the smaller aperture to keep the foreground in reasonably sharp focus. :)
Fragile - Hard choice, I think I'd go with #1, down to the richness of the colour really.

Fragile edges get my vote for that theme - nicely done doffness :D

WHOLE - I think that's a good idea for the theme. As mentioned, the foreground is reasonably sharp, and the overall look is great.
FRAGILE - Great set. But I would choose the peeling paint shot.

All good choices for the theme, I am kind of drawn to the flaky paint its very different to what we have seen this week.
Thanks Allan, on second thoughts I think your right the flaking paint and the turquoise blue on reflection the better option for the theme.
Good choice, the colour and detail of the petal and waters drops are great
Thanks Mark, quite a few different opinions this week !
Great choice, love the colour too Chris! Great stuff!
Thanks !
Fantastic set of images there Chris!(y)
Each one has it's own virtues and marvellously individual styles!
#1 - amazing colours and the focus is right where it needs to be....and those water droplets?...inspired!
#2 - love the use of thin DoF, and the colours work well together.
#3 - you just can't beat a really good peeling paint pic, and yours is first class. I do like the way you have composed this image by 'arranging' the DoF in an unexpected way, so it runs vertically - clever framing!
My favourite is #1 however, it's brilliant and mesmerising!:clap:
Many thanks for your comments Gareth. Had a lot of options this week. I thought it was going to be a tough one to be honest but the grey matter kicked in !
Hi Chris,

Food - Works well. Good strong black background allows the egg and wrappers to stand out well.
Smooth - I like that, it has foreground and background interest. I don't mind the verticals being out, it's natural from that angle, but if you're worried about it, LR/PS' perspective correction would have straightened it I'm sure.
Above - I like the first, but the second rocks it. The white against the blue really stands out.
Hot - Well captured, a good range of light to dark there, with the shadow nicely framing the image.
Light - Not really feeling this one for the theme. It might have worked better in colour??? Or a more punchy B&W conversion. Dunno, but worth a look?
Crowd(ed) - The second shot for me. I love the vibrant colours. The first feels like a snapshot really. Nothing jumps out as being in sharp focus (and thus the focal point) and the weeds in the foreground don't (IMO) add anything.
Decay - Fits the theme, makes you wonder what it was. An outdoor hot tub maybe? I do prefer the second shot though. I love the distressed look to the shutters and I'm a sucker for those shades of blue.
Free Week - Both great portraits, with really sharp focus on the eyes (y)
Whole - Loving the whole view through a view vibe going on here. Good choice to go with the smaller aperture to keep the foreground in reasonably sharp focus. :)
Fragile - Hard choice, I think I'd go with #1, down to the richness of the colour really.
Tim really appreciate the time you have taken to comment on my submissions I know how long this takes to do. Being relatively new to photography and having the confidence to post on these forums is sometimes hard but I relish the feedback good and bad as it really does help. Tips and advice go a long way so thanks again !
Fragile edges get my vote for that theme - nicely done doffness :D
Thanks Dave, I went a tad mad looking for flaking paint but didn’t have to go too far in the end, the shed at the bottom of the garden !
WHOLE - I think that's a good idea for the theme. As mentioned, the foreground is reasonably sharp, and the overall look is great.
FRAGILE - Great set. But I would choose the peeling paint shot.
Thanks Bob, appreciate your comments !

Thanks again all, most appreciated !

Yep - like it too.Bit more contrast and detail would have been nice but as it is I still like it.

Its a bit flat I think but on theme for what was a very difficult theme

Squash(ed)
I like the idea of the squashed rose, the composition works, it lacks a little bit of punch, but a non well done.

Works well for me Chris. I like the detail that's there, and the DOF puts all the focus on the petal tops. Works for me

Try f/8 or f/11 on a tripod to get a deeper DoF. Mind you, you might not be able to keep your hand holding the rose steady for long enough... I don't think you were missing detail, just that most of the flower was outside the area of sharp focus.

Squashed is a nice image Chris, good colours and like the Dof on it.
Hi Dave, thought I would try something different, not so punchy but think I failed to be honest. Thanks though for your kind comment
Yep - like it too.Bit more contrast and detail would have been nice but as it is I still like it.
Thanks Dave, I have posted a different version below with a touch more contrast. But still like the softness though
I love those colours, and it's a great fit for the theme!(y)
Not easy at f/1.4, but I think you managed to get enough detail in there....nicely done Chris!:clap:
Thanks Gareth !
Super idea for SQUASHED.
Great dof and colours!!
Thanks Bob !
Its a bit flat I think but on theme for what was a very difficult theme
Bit of mixed view with this one Allan, it’s great really as it makes me really rethink my initial thoughts
Squash(ed)
I like the idea of the squashed rose, the composition works, it lacks a little bit of punch, but a non well done.
Thanks Dominic, seems the general consensus is it’s a touch flat. Bit of a rethink definitely for the future
Works well for me Chris. I like the detail that's there, and the DOF puts all the focus on the petal tops. Works for me
Thanks Ian !
Try f/8 or f/11 on a tripod to get a deeper DoF. Mind you, you might not be able to keep your hand holding the rose steady for long enough... I don't think you were missing detail, just that most of the flower was outside the area of sharp focus.
Thanks Tim, it was a hand held shot with my XH1 and 35mm 1.4. My initial thought was a shot with a “Dusty” effect if that makes sense ? Seems it’s a bit of a marmite shot which I think is great as everyone has a different opinion which just makes the 52 brilliant. I have posted another version below but think it’s a bit over processed !

Thanks all so much for your comments on this one, the difference of opinion really made me rethink this one ! Thanks again all for your comments Chris

Squashed #3 by Chris Pritchard, on Flickr

Nice image for time. Haven't a clue if they are fake or not - if not, then best check your insurance policy. Lots of interest in the image. Like it

Full - yup, that's full. Good subject, well spotted, and nicely framed

Hi Chris,

Full - Well, it's too the point, but doesn't work for me. It's just too close in and has no real context.
Time - Like some of the other comments, I wouldn't know a fake one from a real one either. I'm a bit put off by the hand, I don't think it does them justice, a more considered set up might have been better, or all worn up your arm if you wanted to pretend to be a spiv.

I like Squashed, nice colours.
Time, great idea...my guess for the fake is either the top Breitling or the Rolex.
Thanks Clive, time was a rushed submission ! They are all fake, found on one of our construction refurbishments in a loft. The person that found them thought their luck had come in ! He was so disappointed when he was told that after checking with the local jeweller.... The look on his face was priceless .....
Jolly nice collection of timepieces there Chris!(y)
Being no expert, I couldn't pick the fake, but I do like the concept and the execution too.
Teeny bit dark (especially on the Rolex), but as you were pushed for time, I can forgive you!;)
Thanks Garrett was a rushed shot for sure !
Great shot Chris!(y)
Simple, effective and the colour is nice and punchy.
Glad to see that people are using the litter bins, though they need emptying more often!!;)
One of those where I was struggling to come up with something a little different, not the best but I thought I would crop close and quite liked it. Would of been a good one for the dirty theme !
Nice image for time. Haven't a clue if they are fake or not - if not, then best check your insurance policy. Lots of interest in the image. Like it

Full - yup, that's full. Good subject, well spotted, and nicely framed
Thanks Ian, all fake ! And I was tempted to smash them up with a hammer and take a few shots but was rushed for time !
Full - well spotted and executed, bang on theme.
Thanks Mark, appreciate your comment
Full
I like that. I like the way it completely fills the frame.
Thanks Dominic, I was pleased with the outcome considering it was an iPhone shot.
Totally different take but bang on full theme.
Thanks Dave, appreciate your comment. I quite liked the vibrant yellow.
Hi Chris,

Full - Well, it's too the point, but doesn't work for me. It's just too close in and has no real context.
Time - Like some of the other comments, I wouldn't know a fake one from a real one either. I'm a bit put off by the hand, I don't think it does them justice, a more considered set up might have been better, or all worn up your arm if you wanted to pretend to be a spiv.
Thanks Tim for your comments, understand your comments regarding the litter bin makes me wonder if I shouldn’t of cropped it so much ? Time was a rushed submission, think I I’ll spend some more time going forward thinking before I submit

Back