weekly Clairec - 52 in 2013 - Week 3 Gravity

Name
Claire
Edit My Images
Yes
So here is my attempt for week one. Had far too much alcohol during the festive break and it always feels like a sin the next morning!!!

Last edited:
I like the image esp the reflection of the bottle on the RHS.

The black background works really well. I will have to find out how you do that.

However I feel the cropping is a bit too tight and it needs more space top and bottom, butr great lighting. Good start.

The reflection on the right is a beautiful touch - you've done well to not get anything else reflected in it too.

Oh I like that! There've been a lot of "alcohol" interpretations of this week's theme, but you've managed to make yours a little different.

The B&W works very very well. It's cropped a little too tightly at the top and the bottom for me, and unlike Carl and Graham I think the reflection is unnecessary and a little distracting, but that just goes to show that a lot of crit is down to personal taste anyway :)

Great start!

great shot, though I agree you need a little more space on the top and bottom.

I like the reflection of the bottle too, yes it would still be a good shot without it but the fact it is also jack daniels pulls the items together well.

A great idea for the theme, i too would like to see a touch more space around it. Love the reflection!

Thanks for your comments.

Agree about the tight crop. Think I was too busy trying to get the reflection right to notice that at the time.

same crit as everyone else took my time to see the reflection at the start but then i spotted it and thought it was wonderfull

same crit again bit too tightly cropped the b and w works really well

Hi Claire.....a belated welcome to the 52's madhouse from me :wave:

great start to your project.....mono suits this well for me , crop as already mentioned , the reflection is a great touch as well...ummmm JD...one of my favorites (y) The bg , to me , needs a little tidy up....there's some sort of feint white line running almost bottom left diagonally up & behind the hip flask , a couple of splodges lower left , but other than that...yup it's a(y) from me

Nice use of the reflection, but the flask needs a wipe to get the dust off.

You had me at Jack...:D

I like the processing and rreflection. Well lit and WB is OK. I'd prefer if the flask was on turned a tad more to the right. Maybe intended but you've cropped the edges.

Good start and I have the same flask and a few empties after Christmas :puke:

Cheers.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

PP is a big weakness for me so will definitely be trying to work on that during the year!

Hi Claire,

First off :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bravo, a simply stunning image, works really well for me, love the black and white conversion and the compostion is spot on, although i would agree with the comments about a little more space above and below but doesnt need much.

The reflection went unnoticed when i first looked but as i was staring at the image i noticed it so works well in my eyes as just an accent to the image as opposed to taking over too much

absolutely love it!

Danny

Well in the absense of any snow (and none on the way here apparently) I opted for the only other option - the kitchen cupboard!

Hi Claire

quite like the layout you've chosen....bit different to usual but works for me, backgrounds can be a mare with this type of shot but you've gone for something natural which I think compliments the subject (y)
As per Andy...maybe a less shallow DOF to get them all in focus ?

colour looks fine to me.. like the composition, I went the same way as you.. kitchen far warmer than outdoors :)

Nice colours and depth but in my opinion the crop is a bit tight. Great take on the theme!

Like layout and colours but would have liked to see all spices in focus.

I like the grain running at a angle to shot and generally like it
Think I'd have got the nice reds etc in focus either with higher f stop or recomposed with focus on front group so it falls off rather than centre
Its all about opinions tho and I think you've done well and it's obviously what you were after (y)

Firstly, I must say thank you for the feedback on my last photo and sorry that I've not replied sooner!

I'm full of apologies today because I'm only just posting my week 3 photo as well :nono:

I seem to have a habit of tightly cropping my images and I've realised I've done it again :bonk: Must try harder :)

I don't mind the crop - it looks deliberate rather than a careless nick. The three holes work well, lined up in a triangle, and you've got great colours on the CD's.

Where was your focus point, as the letters on the CD to the right look sharper than those on the Westlife CD?

The crop was deliberate but then realised as I was posting that most of the comments on my previous shots was for overcropping!

I think you are right about the focus. I took a couple of shots and on this one I think the central point was used. In my other shot I focused on the black CD but it then overexposed. Should have played with the AE lock I guess???

Claire I really like this, including the tight cropping. The layout of the 3 CDs is visually interesting, and the "rainbow effect" adds further interest. Obviously it's on topic, without overdoing it (seems to me).

I was going to say as a slight crit that the left hand diagonal rainbow takes the eye away out of the picture, but I've just checked again and actuallyit leads you right to the edge of the CD which takes you round to the right again. So pretty darn good, I'd say!

Back