weekly Cobra's epic fail for 2015, week 52 A Christmas shoe horn and done :)

Last edited:
Blimey - that turning bombe is a serious machine & no mistake - and thanks for the link to its history. Cracking idea for the theme ;)

Alphabet -I've read a lot about these things, but I think this is the first time I've seen a photo. Fits the them for me :clap:

Blimey - that turning bombe is a serious machine & no mistake - and thanks for the link to its history. Cracking idea for the theme ;)

Alphabet -I've read a lot about these things, but I think this is the first time I've seen a photo. Fits the them for me :clap:
Its a noisy bloody thing too when its running!
Thanks Lorraine (y)

Machine - The second shot is my favourite. More colour and more confusing.
Alphabet - Very interesting to mote that teh Enigma machine doesn't use a standard Qwerty keyboard. That must have been odd for the operators.

Machine - The second shot is my favourite. More colour and more confusing.
Thanks Tim (y)
Alphabet - Very interesting to mote that the Enigma machine doesn't use a standard Qwerty keyboard. That must have been odd for the operators.
I'm sure there is reason for it, but I probably "missed" that part of the talk :D
As its not actually that far out, my guess is due to the the limited space on the "keyboard" a few characters have been swapped round a row or two.

Nice take on the themes Chris, having just watched The Imitation Game, found them quite interesting to. To think 1 man came up with all that, a true genius in my mind. In the film he calls the machine "Christopher" ;). I suspect the keyboard is probably down to the fact it was designed for the german language, either that or to do with the mechanicals.

Anyway back to the photos, No 2 for me as well, purely down to the colours and lighting. As always nice and detailed

Hi, all images could fit with the machine theme I think I prefer the back view shows an incredible amount of work

the Enigma certainly fits for Alphabet

. In the film he calls the machine "Christopher" ;).
what a sensible man Alan was. And such a terrible waste of life, too :( I've not seen the film yet, but I plan to. As for the keyboard thats a very good point.
Thanks for stopping by Chris (y)

Hi, all images could fit with the machine theme I think I prefer the back view shows an incredible amount of work

the Enigma certainly fits for Alphabet
bit of a cheat I know but I guess fortuitous at the same time as I was stuck for alphabet :D
Thanks for taking the time to comment Allan (y)

Really good images for the themes Chris....I'm loving the detail on the reverse side of the Bombe.
Looks like you had a fascinating visit to the park :)

(And you weren't that far behind!)

ooo we watched the Benedict whatsisname film on the plane to NYC and they had a m/c just like this :LOL: that last pic looks like it was taken in the 60s which adds to the style. Did you PP it or is that how it came? :clap:

Really good images for the themes Chris....I'm loving the detail on the reverse side of the Bombe.
Looks like you had a fascinating visit to the park :)
Thanks Ruth, It was a very pleasant and informative day, :)

ooo we watched the Benedict whatsisname film on the plane to NYC and they had a m/c just like this :LOL: that last pic looks like it was taken in the 60s which adds to the style. Did you PP it or is that how it came? :clap:
Thanks Summer, I believe that actually is a genuine Enigma, It was in a case behind glass, I did tweak the exposure and and contrast to
try and get rid of the glass.

Close up #1 gets it for me, even with obviously sketchy lighting conditions. Just the subject matter and the proximity gives it impact.

I really like the second machine shot too, over the first it gives a real sense of the complexity, and how revolutionary it was. Nice choice in both cases.

Alphabet is on theme, and again a good choice. The border between the black and white background being uneven in either side of the machine bugs me a little, but I bet they'd get all shirty if you shifted it!

Close up #1 gets it for me, even with obviously sketchy lighting conditions. Just the subject matter and the proximity gives it impact.
I really like the second machine shot too, over the first it gives a real sense of the complexity, and how revolutionary it was. Nice choice in both cases.
Alphabet is on theme, and again a good choice. The border between the black and white background being uneven in either side of the machine bugs me a little, but I bet they'd get all shirty if you shifted it!
Thanks for the kind comments Nick (y)

The case , I see what you mean maybe I should have tided it up a bit,
I guess however it maybe a bit of an optical illusion from the angle I was shooting from and the fact that it wasn't square on in the glass case anyway?

There's no such thing as an ideal museum shot, I'm sure they display things as they do just to mess with us. Everytime I go to Brooklands, it's like... 'If I could just move this' or 'If I could just take that one bulb out to lose the reflection'...

Still, it's really nice to see it, must get up there myself.

Still, it's really nice to see it, must get up there myself.
Its certainly worth the trip if you are in the area,
Just under £17 for an adult, but that does last a full year, for as many visits as you care to make, but you have to pay again( £7) for the computing museum, where "colossus" is housed.

The reverse side of the Bombe and the Enigma are fascinating subjects but can't really see enough detail in either.

Oh I do agree with @NickD when he says "There's no such thing as an ideal museum shot, I'm sure they display things as they do just to mess with us".

Hi Chris, interesting subjects there, and thanks for posting the links. Just had a look for bletchley park, it's on the todo list now.I too like the 2nd picture.Nice to see it from more than one angle.
Cheers Michael (y) its a very interesting day out.
What I will say is though, its poorly signposted I'm not sure how accurate the sat nav would be either, (its complicated) hopefully it should take you to the right entrance though.
Its almost next to Bletchley college and almost opposite Bletchley railway station.

The reverse side of the Bombe and the Enigma are fascinating subjects but can't really see enough detail in either..
They do click a bit for "larger" I was in two minds as to whether or not to just post a section, but decided to go with the jumble of wires cogs and valves, in the end.

Thanks for dropping by David (y)

Machine, #2 for me. I like the business of it. What a wonderful machine.

Alphabet, this one is a bit special and very topical. Great detail.

Cheers.

Machine, #2 for me. I like the business of it. What a wonderful machine.
Alphabet, this one is a bit special and very topical. Great detail.
Cheers.
Thanks for your kind comments Andy (y)

First visit to comment. Lots of interesting shots in your thread. I'm not sure about the 'epic fail' bit. I am getting ideas from your offerings! Thanks!!

First visit to comment. Lots of interesting shots in your thread. I'm not sure about the 'epic fail' bit. I am getting ideas from your offerings! Thanks!!
LOL Glad to have helped, and thanks for dropping by Bob (y)

Hi Chris

OMG...what a machine ! have to confess...read all the words in the link you posted & still none the wiser :confused:

Hi Chris
OMG...what a machine ! have to confess...read all the words in the link you posted & still none the wiser :confused:
LOL I was there Lynne, and didn't understand half of it either :D
Thanks for dropping by (y)

Still here i see Chris? About time you changed that thread title eh? :rolleyes:
Good work on keeping it going Chris (y)

Alphabet and machine are both great reportage shots, particularly like the one showing the back of the machine, tremendous amount of detail in there.(y)

Still here i see Chris? About time you changed that thread title eh? :rolleyes:
Good work on keeping it going Chris (y)
By the skin of my teeth mate, by the skin of my teeth ;)
And changing the title is bound to jinx it anyway :D

Alphabet and machine are both great reportage shots, particularly like the one showing the back of the machine, tremendous amount of detail in there.(y)
Thanks for dropping by and commenting Iain (y)

Beautiful machine - and unfathomable! I'm an accountant, so I have a reasonable head for numbers, but what the folks at Bletchley Park came up with was well beyond my imagination or understanding. Just look at the machine. I hate the commonplace use of the word, but that really is AWESOME.

Beautiful machine - and unfathomable! I'm an accountant, so I have a reasonable head for numbers, but what the folks at Bletchley Park came up with was well beyond my imagination or understanding. Just look at the machine. I hate the commonplace use of the word, but that really is AWESOME.
The point that the guy giving the "chat" about it, kept saying, "mathematicians think differently to the rest of us"
Whether thats true or not I don't know, or indeed if it was actually an apology. :D
But yep, truly an awesome feat of planning and execution!

Thanks for dropping by Karl (y)

Just watched The Imitation Game then saw this. Bloody Good God!! And to think that that genius was wantonly destroyed by compulsory hormone treatment to 'cure' him.

Thanks for posting these Chris, we should all know about this (y)

Thanks for posting these Chris, we should all know about this (y)
My pleasure Jill :)
I've still not seen the film as yet, but I do know the "story"
What can you say?... the whole episode was absolutely appalling!
But I guess witch hunts of that kind were not uncommon back then, and it seems that no one was exempt either!

I know that he was given royal pardon, Dec 2013, but again, WTF?
He should be remembered for his work and not the fact that he was gay.
It certainly never affected his "work" did it?

Having worked in IT for, shall we say, one or two years I find the subject fascinating. It's had to believe what they achieved back then and equally what the establishment did to the man. The photos show good detail of the workings. I guess #3 was behind glass given the light on the right hand side - not enough to spoil it though

Having worked in IT for, shall we say, one or two years I find the subject fascinating. It's had to believe what they achieved back then and equally what the establishment did to the man.
Its and incredible story and and amazing feat of "engineering"
and also very sad at the same time,
As above, He was "pardoned" Dec 2013, but far to little far too late IMO :(

The photos show good detail of the workings. I guess #3 was behind glass given the light on the right hand side - not enough to spoil it though
Cheers Peter and you guessed correctly (y)

TBH I'm way way behind now, I've been living out of a suit case for the last 4 weeks and its set to continue for awhile, at least.
And I've not even had time to pick the camera up, or comment on everyone else's (Apologies) in that time let alone think about the themes :(
Hopefully I'll get going again before too long though.

Its and incredible story and and amazing feat of "engineering"
and also very sad at the same time,
As above, He was "pardoned" Dec 2013, but far to little far too late IMO :(
I just find it incredible to think that homosexuality was illegal until relatively recently and what was done to those found "guilty". The whole nation, and beyond, owed Alan Turing and his team a fantastic debt and that's what they did to him and as you say it took until less than 2 years ago to pardon him.

TBH I'm way way behind now, I've been living out of a suit case for the last 4 weeks and its set to continue for awhile, at least.
And I've not even had time to pick the camera up, or comment on everyone else's (Apologies) in that time let alone think about the themes :(
Hopefully I'll get going again before too long though.
No apologies needed about the lack of photos and comments. Things get in the way. I can vouch for that last year. When I did the 52 in 2012 I kept up to date with the theme and the commenting every week. Last year I realised I wouldn't be able to do that but accepted it as part of my "rules". I carried that forward into this year and find it more relaxing and enjoyable as a result. Part of this is not to comment on every single photo like I did in 2012 so apologies to you and anyone else if I miss some of your images.

Hope you get back home and get the camera out again soon.

Bumpity Bump... any more for any more :)
Not at the moment Dean
I think my camera must have moved out, not seen it in ages
Still playing man in a suit case :(

Nightmare mate... Cobra the lost soul !!
Little boy lost, that's me :D
Hopefully we have a starter the week after this current one, a couple of days back up north to knock the rough edges off him, and
hopefully it'll be home every night for awhile, and I can start getting organised again.

But I'm not holding my breath we had a couple of Muppet's previously ;)

Animal and only a week late :rolleyes:
(well several months technically)
I couldn't let this one pass could I? :D

Unfortunately this new job is far more time consuming than I thought,
I guess I need a hobby :D
Don't worry about comments folks I'm forcing myself to do this, for me and I'll hardly have time to reciprocate,
but I will try none the less.

View attachment 41166

View attachment 41167

And a baby Lemur, recent archive, just because I know how he feels :D

View attachment 41169

Back