weekly Colm's 52-2016 Week 11: Artificial

Great idea and nice detail. Particularly like the fact that you have left part to show the real scale without magnification.

Very good - I thought about using a PCB but bringing the magnifying glass in takes the photo to a whole different level.

Old - I like the Contrast between the old bit of wall and the newness of the shard.
Metal - Lovely bike well produced picture the bike really stands out
Captive - nice shot pretty bird.
miniature - I like the use of the magnifying glass

Love the idea behind this and well executed, my eye is drawn a little to the blue socket but I think the circuits hold more interest :)

I wanted to keep the blue because that's what identifies it as a graphics card, or maybe that's just a bit too geeky :)

Nice one. WB is a little off and it's a pity about the shadow on the RH side.

Nice detail and shallow DOF.

Cheers.

I tried to eliminate that shadow but couldn't quite get it. I thought of waiting and trying it in daylight but I didn't have enough patience :)

Very nicely taken, and as Steve said the magnifying glass, was a clever idea to (y)

Just repeating what everyone else has said, great choice for miniature. Like the comparison with the unmagnified part, gaves a good sense of scale (y)

Old: Great image works really well with the modern building in the background

Metal: Great image like the fact the rider is looking at you (ish)

Captive: Great shot reminds me of the bird we had when I was little love the DOF

Miniature Nice take on the theme really like it

So we're into week 4 and it's all about Happy.
I struggled with this one. My head was stuffed full of ideas but they just didn't work out. Most of the shots I didn't get, the ones I did just didn't really do it for me.
Tonight I was mulling over ideas again and speaking phrases out loud, "Happy as Larry", "Happy as a pig in s**t". I was wondering how I'd capture those ideas in the day I have left before I have to move on to week 5 when my 7 year old son said "I'm going to help you Daddy".
He sat down and drew this, complete with happy faces on the letters. Of course in keeping with form this week the shot is all wrong, the DOF is too shallow, the focus is on the hand where it should be on the "A" and the lighting is wrong.
On the plus side though I got a picture,but more importantly I'm really happy and proud of my son for wanting to help.I'd just be happier with myself if I got the shot right.

Week 4: Happy by Colm, on Flickr

The part of the shot that says the most about Happy is your son's participation - you must have been so chuffed with him. Great take - can understand some of the self-critical issues particularly DoF but a terrific image nevertheless.

That's so great that your son wanted to help. If you hadn't mentioned what you think you got wrong I would not have thought of them. I quite like the focus on his hand and the shallow DOF, particularly with the background to the photo it works for me. The lighting maybe could have been better but in moments like this you don't get much time to set things up so go with what's there, I really like the sense of his concentration in the shot. Definitely one to keep and remember.

Yes I too like this image. Your description is great too. Good to know we are all thinking in a similiar manner. Some weeks you get an idea straight off the mark others (like Happy) we/I really couldnt think of anything.
Like you say, you got an image in the end and good one too.

Gaz

Lovely image and a great commentary, fits the brief perfectly.

I also thinks the focus point works here - I see a picture of a boy happy and lost in his artwork (and from the back story happy to be helping his dad out - what a great kid!) I think focus on the hand or eye would have been my preference with this shallow dof - the lettering would stand out anyway with its size and brightness. The lighting may not be perfect, but I like the way it fall over your son's eyes. I think it's a really nice shot.

This week is causing me problems too, but the opposite of last week. The Essex coast is littered with abandoned boats and they happen to be one of my favourite shooting subjects, so the problem was which one to choose.
I've been debating whether to post now or keep shooting and post the best one later in the week but I've a busy week at work and I don't want to miss it so I've decided to just get "one in the bag" so to speak.

Week 5: Abandoned by Colm, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love the image very contrasty and moody love the dark sky. Nicely framed aswell.

Colm,
Happy - I'm agreeing with most of the comments, you're being super critical on yourself and actually it works really well as is.(y)
Abandoned - So many great looking abandoned boats there. I'm sooo jealous. (Or in Essex speak "well jell" ;))
Love the processing and it works nicely under the threatening skies.

Hi, Colm, abandoned, some great potential there. Well composed and nice detail in the sky. I'd like the FG grass to be in focus.

Wish that placed was closer to me :)

Cheers.

Happy: Way too harsh on yourself. The focus is on your son and to me it's a picture of him being happy, rather than a picture of the sign he's writing... and it works.

Abandoned: I'd planned on driving over to the coast but didn't have time. The discolouration of the boat and the way it's losing its shape make it look almost organic, like it's a corpse decaying into the ground. Great shot.

Abandoned - I love this fits the theme the processing is fantastic

Love the image very contrasty and moody love the dark sky. Nicely framed aswell.

Thanks Adam
Yep :agree: ... and nice use of wide angle lens. (y)

Thanks David, I adore that wide angle lens

That's a super shot ...love the processing ...I can't imagine finding better for the theme, especially with that broody sky.

Thanks Susie

Colm,
Happy - I'm agreeing with most of the comments, you're being super critical on yourself and actually it works really well as is.(y)
Abandoned - So many great looking abandoned boats there. I'm sooo jealous. (Or in Essex speak "well jell" ;))
Love the processing and it works nicely under the threatening skies.

LOL, Thanks Tim. It's a good stretch of coast for abandoned sh*t

Hi, Colm, abandoned, some great potential there. Well composed and nice detail in the sky. I'd like the FG grass to be in focus.

Wish that placed was closer to me :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, there's loads more around here too.
I shot at f/2.8 because of failing light and I wanted to get the details on the ribs of the boat, but I was a little disappointed myself and was going to go back and reshoot it on Saturday but the conditions weren't quite right and I had some cold beer in the fridge :)

Happy: Way too harsh on yourself. The focus is on your son and to me it's a picture of him being happy, rather than a picture of the sign he's writing... and it works.

Abandoned: I'd planned on driving over to the coast but didn't have time. The discolouration of the boat and the way it's losing its shape make it look almost organic, like it's a corpse decaying into the ground. Great shot.

Thanks Nick, you can't walk far over here with stumbling over those "corpses". The marshes have claimed a lot of boats

Abandoned - I love this fits the theme the processing is fantastic

Thanks Mark

Back