weekly Colm's 52-2016 Week 11: Artificial

Hey Colm,

Old: That's a nice sharp shot of The Tower. I like that the segment of the old wall is the focus, with the shard a secondary focal point.
I'm guessing you're somewhere near the Tower Hill tube station side of The Tower from the angle you've got?

Metal: A very good slow panning shot there. I didn't realise that Harleys moved quickly enough to induce any motion blur in the crowd ;) (actually is that motion blur from a pan or is it just DoF playing tricks with my eyes). Just a shame it's american junk and not either decent Jap or Brit bikes :coat:

See what biking does makes you happy,
Great take, usually shots like this can be a bit muddled, i think you have done a great job on isolating bike fromBG, pleasing image,
Only thing i would say imho is lose the top of columns, other than that well done:)

Hi, i like the old with the new in the first one, well spotted

the bike pic i agree with cropping the top a little, but whats John prescott doing on a Harley :thinking:

Good start to your 52

See what biking does makes you happy,
Great take, usually shots like this can be a bit muddled, i think you have done a great job on isolating bike fromBG, pleasing image,
Only thing i would say imho is lose the top of columns, other than that well done:)

Good call on the crop. I went back to Lightroom and sure enough it's a huge improvement.

Hey Colm,

Old: That's a nice sharp shot of The Tower. I like that the segment of the old wall is the focus, with the shard a secondary focal point.
I'm guessing you're somewhere near the Tower Hill tube station side of The Tower from the angle you've got?

Metal: A very good slow panning shot there. I didn't realise that Harleys moved quickly enough to induce any motion blur in the crowd ;) (actually is that motion blur from a pan or is it just DoF playing tricks with my eyes). Just a shame it's american junk and not either decent Jap or Brit bikes :coat:

The old wall is near the wooden steps at the entrance to the White Tower, as for the bike it was barely moving (the blur is DoF induced) but like most expensive and noisy american machinery it was VERY shiny :)

One of the best submissions for metal so far. Great eye contact, lovely detail in the chrome. Bit of motion in the wheels would be good but I see above they were hardly moving.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Shiny, shiny! Like the shot and bike a lot. Interested to know if any PP was done to make the bike pop a bit or did the lighting sort that by itself?

Hi Colm. Nice contrast to accentuate the age of the wall ruin - well composed. Awesome looking machine for metal and you have captured not only the gleam of metalwork but the expression of pride on the rider's face. Excellent :clap:

The juxtaposition of old and worn against shiny and new in the first works very well.

The bike shot's great - it really stands out from the background. Did you enhance the chrome or was that as it happened?

Thanks for all the comments.

For the metal picture I used a flashgun which really lit up the bike, but it lit up the background a bit too much as well so I used an adjustment layer to mask off the bike and turned down the exposure on the rest.

Thanks for all the comments.

For the metal picture I used a flashgun which really lit up the bike, but it lit up the background a bit too much as well so I used an adjustment layer to mask off the bike and turned down the exposure on the rest.
You can tell, but only just and the amount of PP is spot on imo. Any more and it would look a bit weird. Well done I say.

Just catching up with all the ones i've somehow missed !

Old - love the juxtaposition of the old and the new - I have similar shots from a visit a few years ago :) perhaps a tighter crop to the top RHS to take some sky out ?

Metal - wow - shiny ! like it and cringe at how long it must take to keep it looking anything like that !

Thats a super shiny Harley, and a cracking "piece of metal" into the bargain (y)

really like the shiny motor bike, the riders expression is perfect, Good luck completing your 52

Welcome Colm

Another sucker for old/new architectural contrasts (y)

and Metal's a beaut. Love the way the bike stands out from the BG, and at the same time the BG people are in focus. (y)

Like it - the intersecting diagonals make for an interesting picture. I wish that keyring wasn't in the bottom right though!

Like it - the intersecting diagonals make for an interesting picture. I wish that keyring wasn't in the bottom right though!

The keyring thing is what holds the contraption he was standing on.I tried and tried to get a shot without that or some other equally distracting object but it wasn't happening

You can only work with what you've got!

Nice details on the bird and I like the background shadows they add to the sense of being captive

Excellent take on the theme - I had been thinking of a trip down the local pet shop for something similar. Glad I didn't because your shot would have knocked spots off mine. Well taken

Back