weekly Colm's 52-2016 Week 11: Artificial

Abandoned - great spot and really well captured. The processing is fairly full on, which is a decision you've made although the image is easily strong enough to stand on its own, if you wanted.

Makes me want to get over to Mull and take a shot of the abandoned boats over there... if only I didn't have to do a full sea crossing in this weather!

OOF grass doesn't bother me too much - the boats are the star of the show (and the sky)!

Lovely image Colm and so nicely composed with the backdrop of the ship and detail in the sky. :clap:

And so on to Week 6: Camouflage

I struggled with this one too. I have some great shots from the past but the challenge I set myself is to take a shot specifically for the theme. I had ideas for this one but I couldn't find what I wanted (maybe it was too well hidden), so with the end of the week approaching I felt I had to resort to Lego.
So here's my entry for this week.

Week 6: Camouflage by Colm, on Flickr

I love that wish I'd have thought of it at least my eyes wouldn't have gone all weird after photographing mine!

I spotted him almost straight away. Lego shots are usually fun and this is too, not least because if you look at the shadow it looks like he's going for a wee.

I spotted him almost straight away. Lego shots are usually fun and this is too, not least because if you look at the shadow it looks like he's going for a wee.

I might have gone for a lower POV to blend him more into the wall.

And he needs to tuck something away :eek:

Cheers.

I used his hand to make that shadow as a kind of play on something else that's camouflaged. :) :) :)

Hiya Colin, really like your Abandoned image feels well balanced and has lots of interest. Liking the subtle tones.

Camouflaged is a fun shot, nice and vibrant. Good idea

I like the fun play with the shadow Colm - nice bit of tactful humour ... made me chuckle. :clap:

I'm generally trying to work my way through the posts in order but this time I might actually get in first!

Interesting composition, the way the lines spur out radially adds a touch of visual interest, plus of course you can actually see what's dangerous. The flat sky actually acts as a nice plain backdrop in this shot do you made the most of that as well.

If there was one thing, I think it could do with a smudge of rotation to the left.

Camouflage: Lego shots are always welcome. Well, tbh he's not very camouflaged (perhaps he needs some face paint) but who cares? The shadow is awesome. :p

Dangerous: Nice one. Love the PoV and composition.

Happy - lovely shot of your lad spot on for the theme
Abandoned - Great shot that poor little boat my
Camouflage - fun shot for the theme I like it
Danger - the grey skies add to the feel of it

of these I like the first 2 best

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments.
I took the shot on Sunday as a "banker" but I was hoping for better. By Wednesday I hadn't come up with anything so I figured I'd better submit because I was going away for a few days.
Typically no sooner than I'd submitted I came across these signs and got what I wanted all along

Danger by Colm, on Flickr

Danger by Colm, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, clever bit of thinking there, either one works for me maybe the second one slightly shades it

I assume you are referring to Apple, the first is more representative of their logo but I think I prefer the second as a photo.

Not read up enough to know of that particular story. Definitely the second one Colm with all that debris which makes sense of that hammer being there and the missing chunk of the apple. A simple yet strong composition and nice lighting. (Ahhh ! Just read Chris @sirch comments - that makes sense now about the Apple link - Doh!)

Last edited:
Hi Colm :)

Sorry I am a tad behind on your thread, so a couple of catch up comments from my fav images...

Abandoned - I really like old ship wrecks and this shot has several, I like the small boat in the foreground, and the moody sky tops the image off nicely :)

Camouflaged - I just love the brightness of this one, the lego guys expression works well too as if he is cheekily hiding, the shadow and the highlights on the brick tops also add to the image, like it :)

Back