weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Nice pic for mouth echo the comment about the blue from the bridge really makes the pic stand out

A good fit for the theme David, though I might clone out the two folk on the right.

Very much like that. Glad you explained how you took it, I was wondering if you were in a boat as the shot appears to be taken from the water line.
Persumably you went down to the edge at low tide?
I like the counterpoint of the bright blue bridge against the murk of the Thames.
Is that some kind of lock gate under the bridge?
Thanks Tim ... I was in Bishops Park on about the same level as that bridge, so looking down, but I was about 200 yards away (I estimate). Yes there are gates there but not a lock I'm sure. I must get across there for a proper look. That's what I love about this game ... having a proper look at things.

Hi d00d I had your tab open on the computer yesterday when I was commenting but I realised today I must have lost it and I'm miles behind on here :( Any road up, your thread is looking excellent, super museum shot, and I love the red socks they add to the cosy feel for Relax. Great choice for Vertical, I really like the Sotheby's one ....black and gold ....looks very classy.
And you've done your Mouth one too now, excellent choice of location with the shafts of sunlight and the blue bridge.
Your thread is looking great :)
Thanks Susie ... I wasn't sure about this pic (or any of the dozen I took yesterday with my new long lens) so went back this morning earlier, about 2 hours before low tide at a time when the sun was positioned differently, experimented with some different settings ... no improvement ... I'm now quite liking the way the sun hits the door/gate and the reflection in the water in the above shot.

Last edited:
Mouth - a fitting image for a very tricky theme.
Thanks Mandy.

Nice pic for mouth echo the comment about the blue from the bridge really makes the pic stand out
Thanks Simon

A good fit for the theme David, though I might clone out the two folk on the right.
Thanks Ruth ... being a bit of a street photographer, I thought the two there were an added bonus but now I'm thinking you're probably right.

Last edited:
Really like your vertical shots David - all of them. Like your shot for mouth too - the colour of the bridge really adds to the shot and you have caught the light on the water really well.

Hey d00d
The SC edit for vertical works so well, very crisp [emoji4]
Mouth: nice choice, the bridge really brings the shot alive for me

Hi d00d, can only echo the above comments so I will leave it at that(y)

Hi David,

Mouth - that's a really good choice for a really difficult theme. I can't add anything to what's been said crit wise :)

A nice take on this weeks theme, I like the contrasting blue bridge. Well done (y)

Really like your vertical shots David - all of them. Like your shot for mouth too - the colour of the bridge really adds to the shot and you have caught the light on the water really well.

the blue of the bridge helps for me. It looks like the light was very harsh/strong. The people in the corner add a little something for me.

Hey d00d
The SC edit for vertical works so well, very crisp [emoji4]
Mouth: nice choice, the bridge really brings the shot alive for me

Hi d00d, can only echo the above comments so I will leave it at that(y)

Hi David,

Mouth - that's a really good choice for a really difficult theme. I can't add anything to what's been said crit wise :)

Thanks everyone ...

going back to Vertical, I wish I'd PP'd the Ermenegildo Zegna flag properly in the first place instead of as an afterthought.

I'm pleased you all like the blue bridge in Mouth so much. You're right ... it adds more to the pic than I first thought.

Oxford St. this morning, where they're rebuilding Bond St. tube

Hand held at 1/10 Sec.

WEEK 11 - Crowd
11.crowd.jpg

Definitely says crowd and I really like the way you can tell people were moving at different speeds.

You've done really well to hold the background steady for the 1/10 sec - you've got a steady hand! Is that pavement sloping uphill though, or is it my eyes?

Love it for the theme.
A few more people might be good but you can't drag them down there :LOL:

Very nice David, especially at that speed, hand held. (y)

Definitely says crowd and I really like the way you can tell people were moving at different speeds.

You've done really well to hold the background steady for the 1/10 sec - you've got a steady hand! Is that pavement sloping uphill though, or is it my eyes?

Thanks Ian ... I'm not sure what happened there: I'm across the road, there are buses and taxis from both directions coming between us, I'm holding the camera steady ready for the all clear, two young blokes dash across the road in front of me, thought I must have caught them but all I see is black blur, they're so fast.

Out of the dozen or so that I took this is probably the blurriest but it also shows quite a bit of the writing to be sharp and unobscured. So a steady hand ... sometimes.

Love it for the theme.
A few more people might be good but you can't drag them down there :LOL:

Thanks Ruth ... It's amazing and quite frustrating how many millions of people you can see in Oxford St. in one morning and how few you can actually capture in a decent pic. I suppose the best way would be to stand on an orange box looking down the street with a long lens.

Very nice David, especially at that speed, hand held. (y)

Thanks ... I get lucky sometimes. ;)

Last edited:
Very nicely observed and well done for hand holding at that speed. The effect of the blue sky and clouds in the background really sets of the movement of the people very well. Good work.

:agree: with all the above handheld comments, very nice for the theme but then I would say that :)

Hi David,

A very different take on the theme and it works really well. I really like the movement in the shot

:agree: with the comments about how well you've done with a handheld shot - you must really have steady hands.

:)

Hi d00d, you seem a bit of a veteran 52'er so I doubt my comments are going to change your life lol but thought I would offer something anyway.

Pattrens - A good one, at first glance I thought it was computer generated or something, but fits the theme, different, and works well with the patterns of the wall/design and the patterns of the pavement. I know you softened the pavement on purpose, not sure if I would have, but hard to tell either way which may have worked better.

Bliss - This is another good one, well composed, interesting subject and is different. My initial thought was would this look better brighter, but I don't think it would. I'd perhaps have made the oranges/tangerines and lime a little brighter, but thats minor.

Fragile - Well fit to the theme, it's often hard not to say what others have said after reading comments etc, I do like this shot, and would agree with another comment about making the glove brighter, and it seems a slight bit noisey on the cup? Could be my monitor though to be fair. I like it though!

Scenic - A good one again, not got much to say on it really sorry

Companions - This is a clever idea for that weeks theme instead of the usual idea of the actual salt/pepper pots(no negativeness of using them to anyone reading) it's just different and works well, nice tight crop and good detail.

Elegant - A further good one, works well, well composed, lighting works well, perhaps reduce the brigtheness of the top light a little, and i would have like too see a v.v.v.tiny bit more of the bottom, but this is just offering feedback almosts for the sake of not just agreeing I like it; like I do, if that makes any sense, and I actually prefer your original instead of the edit.

Watery - Another clever idea, its slightly different to the usual, good detail although there seems mor detail on the skin of it instead of the fruit, so perhaps a different focus may have worked, but I like the way its cropped.

Bold - lol, i wondered what the hell I was seeing there to be fair. Definately bold! I prefer number 2, works well again!

Relax - I prefer the sock one. The first as others have said is still a good photo but not necessairily theme fitting in my opinion. I tried to do a sock one as silly as it sounds, it failed, i gave up lol.

Vetical - I don't really know which one I prefer I'm afraid, no1 with the additional vertical pole fits the theme better but no2 I prefer the colours.

Mouth - I've not got much to say on this one sorry, its again a good photo but doesn't make me go wow, that probably sounds horrible and it's not meant to be a negative as such, but I like it, and haven't really got anthing useful to say.

Crowd - This works really well, it makes my eyes go a bit fuzzy, but I am tired lol, I really like the colours in this one, it fits the theme perfectly, and has given me a little inspiration for mine, so thanks :) Also, another comment - impressed with the shot and that you did it hand held!

Really nice shot David for crowd - fits the theme very well and a lot of work in there :)

Nice work on crowd David, it's colourful, dynamic and it tells a story.
Bang on theme too, no real crit to add. On the handholding, good skills (y)

Another no crit. great shot works really well (y) although it is really not helping my eye sight which is blurred at the best of times im fighting off the trip to specsavers as long as i can :cool:

Very nicely observed and well done for hand holding at that speed. The effect of the blue sky and clouds in the background really sets of the movement of the people very well. Good work.
Thanks Sara ... I chose that spot because that's where the pavement is narrowest (a bottleneck), took a few shots, studied them, realised what an asset the sky BG was, went back for more.

Well done for handheld. Nice vibrant colours and the side on perspective works well.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy

:agree: with all the above handheld comments, very nice for the theme but then I would say that :)
Yes I copied your idea ... thanks Allan

Last edited:
Hi David,

A very different take on the theme and it works really well. I really like the movement in the shot

:agree: with the comments about how well you've done with a handheld shot - you must really have steady hands.

:)
Thanks Lorraine

Hi d00d, you seem a bit of a veteran 52'er so I doubt my comments are going to change your life lol but thought I would offer something anyway.

Pattrens - A good one, at first glance I thought it was computer generated or something, but fits the theme, different, and works well with the patterns of the wall/design and the patterns of the pavement. I know you softened the pavement on purpose, not sure if I would have, but hard to tell either way which may have worked better.

Bliss - This is another good one, well composed, interesting subject and is different. My initial thought was would this look better brighter, but I don't think it would. I'd perhaps have made the oranges/tangerines and lime a little brighter, but thats minor.

Fragile - Well fit to the theme, it's often hard not to say what others have said after reading comments etc, I do like this shot, and would agree with another comment about making the glove brighter, and it seems a slight bit noisey on the cup? Could be my monitor though to be fair. I like it though!

Scenic - A good one again, not got much to say on it really sorry

Companions - This is a clever idea for that weeks theme instead of the usual idea of the actual salt/pepper pots(no negativeness of using them to anyone reading) it's just different and works well, nice tight crop and good detail.

Elegant - A further good one, works well, well composed, lighting works well, perhaps reduce the brigtheness of the top light a little, and i would have like too see a v.v.v.tiny bit more of the bottom, but this is just offering feedback almosts for the sake of not just agreeing I like it; like I do, if that makes any sense, and I actually prefer your original instead of the edit.

Watery - Another clever idea, its slightly different to the usual, good detail although there seems mor detail on the skin of it instead of the fruit, so perhaps a different focus may have worked, but I like the way its cropped.

Bold - lol, i wondered what the hell I was seeing there to be fair. Definately bold! I prefer number 2, works well again!

Relax - I prefer the sock one. The first as others have said is still a good photo but not necessairily theme fitting in my opinion. I tried to do a sock one as silly as it sounds, it failed, i gave up lol.

Vetical - I don't really know which one I prefer I'm afraid, no1 with the additional vertical pole fits the theme better but no2 I prefer the colours.

Mouth - I've not got much to say on this one sorry, its again a good photo but doesn't make me go wow, that probably sounds horrible and it's not meant to be a negative as such, but I like it, and haven't really got anthing useful to say.

Crowd - This works really well, it makes my eyes go a bit fuzzy, but I am tired lol, I really like the colours in this one, it fits the theme perfectly, and has given me a little inspiration for mine, so thanks :) Also, another comment - impressed with the shot and that you did it hand held!
Thanks Thy for the comprehensive commenting, really appreciated. A veteran! me! last year was my first, and I've learnt a lot, it's not just the feedback I get but seeing what others post and what other say to that ... gives encouragement to keep going, try new things ...

Really nice shot David for crowd - fits the theme very well and a lot of work in there :)
Thanks Mitch

Nice work on crowd David, it's colourful, dynamic and it tells a story.
Bang on theme too, no real crit to add. On the handholding, good skills (y)
Cheers for the thumbs up Iain ... I'm going to experiment some more ... and I'll think: colourful, dynamic, tells a story.

Another no crit. great shot works really well (y) although it is really not helping my eye sight which is blurred at the best of times im fighting off the trip to specsavers as long as i can :cool:
You've been staring for too long. :LOL:

Last edited:
Crowd: another great shot there d00d! Did you have to do a lot of PP on it?....the lighting looks great - has a kind of studio-shot feel to it!

That's a cracker!

On theme, great colours and loads of interest. A great job for a handheld shot. Obviously it'd be sharper with a tripod, but on Oxford Street?

Hi David

just had a quick nosey back at your themes but the one that really catch's my eye & blasts the other in to the weeds is Crowd.....fab shot for handheld, people walking at different speeds & the mainly blue ,white & red colors work really well ( possibly not intentional but add's impact ) :clap:

I really like the shots for COMPANIONS (original idea indeed) and BOLD.

The CROWD shot, though, stands out for me. I like long exposures anyway, but yours is stunning and fits the theme perfectly - rush hour crowds etc

Hey d00d ....I love this one ...you can really feel the action in it ...excellent ...love the colours too they make it even more eye catching.
Thanks Susie

Crowd: another great shot there d00d! Did you have to do a lot of PP on it?....the lighting looks great - has a kind of studio-shot feel to it!
Thanks Ferg ... I was lucky with the light: grey/blue sky, no shadows. No PP-ing at all apart from a tiny crop, a slither off the bottom and same off the LHS.

That's a cracker!

On theme, great colours and loads of interest. A great job for a handheld shot. Obviously it'd be sharper with a tripod, but on Oxford Street?
Thanks Nick .... my 35mm prime is fast ... I guess that means little or no extra time each side of that 1/10 sec. Don't know if that makes sense or if indeed it's relevant, perhaps it's psychological.

Hi David

just had a quick nosey back at your themes but the one that really catch's my eye & blasts the other in to the weeds is Crowd.....fab shot for handheld, people walking at different speeds & the mainly blue ,white & red colors work really well ( possibly not intentional but add's impact ) :clap:
Thank you Lynne.

I really like the shots for COMPANIONS (original idea indeed) and BOLD.

The CROWD shot, though, stands out for me. I like long exposures anyway, but yours is stunning and fits the theme perfectly - rush hour crowds etc
Thanks Bob ... pleased to hear you like Companions ... one I'm very pleased with.

Last edited:
Week 12 - Close Up Close Up

12.Close%2BUp2.jpg

EDIT ... 10.15 on 25/03/2015 ... thought I' upload the SOOC ... mildly amusing.

Last edited:
That's certainly close David (y)

Hi David,

Close up - well, that ticks the boxes twice over. Nice idea and I really like the composition and lighting (y)

Close Up. I like it. I don't know why I like it, I just do. Perhaps it's the sort of shot I can imagine being blown up to huge proportions and displayed in a photographic gallery, perhaps not, dunno. Still, I like it.

Back