weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

That's certainly close David (y)
Thanks Cobra

Very clever, turning the outwardly mundane into what is actually a very interesting picture.
The Lighting and DoF are very nice.
What gave you the idea?
Thanks Tim ... Lighting was a little torch, you may see it in the SOOC image now added to my above post, plus vignette in PP.
"What gave you the idea?" ... just thinking outside the box! I didn't really think "close up" to be a bona fide theme, we all do close ups from time to time. I first planned a shot of a closed up shop, but decided this was better.

Hi David,

Close up - well, that ticks the boxes twice over. Nice idea and I really like the composition and lighting (y)

Close Up. I like it. I don't know why I like it, I just do. Perhaps it's the sort of shot I can imagine being blown up to huge proportions and displayed in a photographic gallery, perhaps not, dunno. Still, I like it.

Close up - like this, fits the time well and the lighting works well :)

Thank you Lorraine, Tracy and Martin I'm so pleased you like it, just like it. ;)(y)

Close Up is a cracking shot David. I love the processing and the DOF is spot on (y)
Thanks Jill ... I've just upload the SOOC ... I took a few and this was favourite but the torch was almost in the way, my fingers too! but managed to get what I wanted using vignette (I would have used vignette anyway).

Another great interpretation. Simple but very effective. Lovely stuff.

Close Up.....Best of the theme so far!

Really liking this one. Details are great here and yes close too.

Gaz

Hey David :)

Crowd - Really like this, even though the signs would be better bang on sharp I think it works really well, really like the bright colours and a great sense of movement, liking the wide crop too (Think it would take having the road removed from the shot too) nicely held/captured image indeed (y)

Close Up - One of my fav shots of the theme this, great detail, well lit and well set up, liking the vignette too - cracking shot :clap:

Crowd - Loving this one. It's really well seen and the use of the slow shutter speed really adds to the sense of crowd. I have to say the colours are nicely and punchy too

Close Up - I like the idea for this. I feel the focus is slightly forward of where it probably should be as the bit you hold looks a tad oof. Compared with the SOOC version the added lighting vignette really helps concentrate the eyes on the zip.

what can I say - really great shot! Love the lighting.
Thanks Mich ...

Another great interpretation. Simple but very effective. Lovely stuff.
Thanks Sara

Close Up.....Best of the theme so far!
Best ... blimey ... Thank you Ruth.

Have to agree with that d00d...you're coming up with some inspired ideas this year :clap:
inspired ideas ... thank you Susie ... but what about the standard of photography? ;)

Really liking this one. Details are great here and yes close too.

Gaz
Thanks Gaz

Crowd - Really like this, even though the signs would be better bang on sharp I think it works really well, really like the bright colours and a great sense of movement, liking the wide crop too (Think it would take having the road removed from the shot too) nicely held/captured image indeed (y)
Thanks DK ... the Tube signs as printed on the hoarding are not sharp (photos of metal signs with light reflection!) but the black writing lower down is pretty sharp isn't it?

Close Up - One of my fav shots of the theme this, great detail, well lit and well set up, liking the vignette too - cracking shot :clap:
Thank you. :clap:

Crowd - Loving this one. It's really well seen and the use of the slow shutter speed really adds to the sense of crowd. I have to say the colours are nicely and punchy too
Thanks Peter ...

Close Up - I like the idea for this. I feel the focus is slightly forward of where it probably should be as the bit you hold looks a tad oof. Compared with the SOOC version the added lighting vignette really helps concentrate the eyes on the zip.
Yes the single focus point is the teeth as they disappear into the zipper ... I used my 35mm 1.8g and ended up shooting at f/10 ... maybe one day I'll get into stacking ... with a second layer focused on the bit you hold. (y)

Last edited:
Hi David

Relax - like both but think the couple shot has the edge for me, very well seen and great timing!
Vertical - I think the Sothebys edit is my favourite, maybe because it is more simple in my head?
Mouth - its the sunlight that makes this for me!
Crowd - love the colours and movement within this one
Close up - great idea and well executed, good lighting and I liked being able to see how it evolved from the soc shot
:)

Hi David

Relax - like both but think the couple shot has the edge for me, very well seen and great timing!
Vertical - I think the Sothebys edit is my favourite, maybe because it is more simple in my head?
Mouth - its the sunlight that makes this for me!
Crowd - love the colours and movement within this one
Close up - great idea and well executed, good lighting and I liked being able to see how it evolved from the soc shot
:)

Thank you for your feedback Hazel .... (y)

Saw this at the Science Museum yesterday .... a bit odd but there's something about it I really quite like.

Detail from a big machine: a Victorian Steam-Powered Electricity Generator.

Week 13 - Machine
DSC_0021.JPG

I'll throw in another one, also from yesterday ... The Moscow State Circus erecting their big top on Shepherds Bush Green ... with odd looking tractor. With machine in mind, and total disregard for H&S rules I took a couple of shots. This is down by a front wheel.

Machine #2
13.machine.jpg

Hi David,

you've got two good shots there - that top machine looks like a real beast. But, as a rusty nut fan, I have to go with the second shot :)

Generator for me too. The light is great in that.

Gaz

The red and rusty one for me David as I find the soft focus on the LHS distracting. Like Lorraine I prefer something a bit more 'well used' :)

Nice idea for close up. Something really simple, but executed really well.

Machine #1 does it for me. Interesting subject matter and the fade off of light is nice.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your close up shot.
Machine both nice but would go shot 2 as my fav

Another vote for the second image here. Love the feeling of power it conveys and the simple but striking colour.

Thanks all for your comments re Machine ... two quite different shots ... half say #1 half say #2 ... Hmmmm ...

Thanks all for your comments re Machine ... two quite different shots ... half say #1 half say #2 ... Hmmmm ...
Haha, can't please all of the people all of the time! #1 for me - love the bright orange colour against the black bg and a smashing composition.

I prefer the detail and textures in #1 David, nicely captured (y)

Hi David,

you've got two good shots there - that top machine looks like a real beast. But, as a rusty nut fan, I have to go with the second shot :)
"a real beast" ... love it ... even if you do prefer #2

I agree, two good shots there.
I think I prefer the steam generator, which also looks like the lighting was more challenging too.
Presumably it's either the armature or the impeller?
Ah, a man with armature/impeller appreciation.

Hi David

Love your close up shot......nothing to crit, really is just perfect as it it :clap:

Machine.... fascinating looking machine the generator....more interesting to me to look at & I love the light on it (y)
... really pleased you love Close Up Lynne, and yes there are a few things in that museum that catch a bit of natural light. Thanks

Generator for me too. The light is great in that.

Gaz
Thanks Gaz

The red and rusty one for me David as I find the soft focus on the LHS distracting. Like Lorraine I prefer something a bit more 'well used' :)
Thanks Jill

HI, 1st one for me too, I like the processing
Ah you detect processing! ... just a touch of Cross-Process, adds a hint of blue which works sometimes.

Definitely no.1 for me, very nicely lit. I may possibly like to see a slight lift in the shadows, but not too much. the contrast works well
Thank you Chris.

Nice idea for close up. Something really simple, but executed really well.

Machine #1 does it for me. Interesting subject matter and the fade off of light is nice.
Thanks Nick for encouraging comments on both Close UP and Machine

LOVE LOVE LOVE your close up shot.
Machine both nice but would go shot 2 as my fav
love love love .... cheers Simon (we aim to please).

Machine #2 for me. #1 is a little dark. The red really pops and loads of interesting detail in #2.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy ... I know you don't like things a little dark.

Another vote for the second image here. Love the feeling of power it conveys and the simple but striking colour.
Thanks you Sara.

Haha, can't please all of the people all of the time! #1 for me - love the bright orange colour against the black bg and a smashing composition.
.. but you can please half the people half the time. Cheers Elaine.

I prefer the detail and textures in #1 David, nicely captured (y)
Thank you Hissy. (y)

Last edited:
Just one shot this week ...

Week 14 - Alphabet

14.Alphabet3.jpg

EDIT added Wed 08/04/2015
14.Alphabet3edit.jpg

Last edited:
Alphabet - bang on theme and nicely shot - does your keyboard really have no reflections?

Alphabet - bang on theme and nicely shot - does your keyboard really have no reflections?
Thanks Lorraine ... no reflections because it was shot in the dark at 30 seconds.

No No No No.
The only keyboard worthy of a photo is the "IBM Model M" ;)
Just googled "IBM Model M" and ... I don't mind a bit of old retro ... shame I don't have one of those.

David,
I am currently typing this response on a Model M that has a FA & T date of 21-3-88 and an official 'Manufactured' date of 05-06-1989
Splendid pieces of kit (albeit mine if quite grubby now).

Hi d00d, certainly on theme for alphabet just not sure on the angle, but I do see that you where trying to emphasise the letter keys

Hi d00d ...:) I really like this, I can't believe I've sat here racking my brains on where to find a full alphabet and it was right here in front of me :rolleyes: I really must be getting old.

Focus on the relevant keys is spot on, so in answer to your question last week ...yeeeees your photography is brill :)

Both Machine and Alphabet....cracking images for the themes......loving your challenge thread :)

I agree with Ruth. Great shots.

With ALPHABET, though, I might have been tempted to crop and leave just the alphabet.

Hi d00d, certainly on theme for alphabet just not sure on the angle, but I do see that you where trying to emphasise the letter keys
Thanks Alan ... not sure the angle itself emphasises anything ...

Hi d00d ...:) I really like this, I can't believe I've sat here racking my brains on where to find a full alphabet and it was right here in front of me :rolleyes: I really must be getting old.

Focus on the relevant keys is spot on, so in answer to your question last week ...yeeeees your photography is brill :)
Thanks Susie ... been racking my brains too and it was another TPer's post that gave me the idea.

Both Machine and Alphabet....cracking images for the themes......loving your challenge thread :)
Wow ... thanks Ruth.

I agree with Ruth. Great shots.

With ALPHABET, though, I might have been tempted to crop and leave just the alphabet.
Thanks Bob. I tried some different shots and edits, before settling on my first post but have now added an edit. o_O

Back