weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Nice crop nice idea. Looks good enough to eat.
You appear to have got the same white spots I got on my melon shot

Nice close up and use of light. I might have called it "Juicy" rather then watery :) ... But I can see where you're coming from with it. Yum ....

Hi David, lovely shot, it fits the theme really well and it's making my mouth water just looking at it :)

Companions - Great idea for the theme and well executed. The exposure has been well handled given the contrast of colours between the two subjects

Elegant - I feel this has been nicely handled in terms of lighting. The bulb of the lamp is not blown to distraction and the use of a vignette has given a sense of what the subject is.

Watery - Good choice of subject and nicely positioned. A bit more exposure would have lifted it I feel.

I like this. Another strong fruit shot that's full of vibrant colour. Some good detail going on there and the only thing for me is the fact that the skin blends in with the background. Maybe moving the POV slightly to de-emphasis e that skin, or choosing a different colour background might have worked better. Or it could just be me. I don't like Kiwi skin. Gives me the creeps. :grumpy:

I like this. Another strong fruit shot that's full of vibrant colour. Some good detail going on there and the only thing for me is the fact that the skin blends in with the background. Maybe moving the POV slightly to de-emphasis e that skin, or choosing a different colour background might have worked better. Or it could just be me. I don't like Kiwi skin. Gives me the creeps. :grumpy:

Thank you Ian for your crit (that's good crit), always appreciated.

I used a shallow DOF f/1.8 ... what you see is half a kiwi resting on top of a bunch of four kiwis, the BG is more kiwi skin. :eek:

A nice close up David (y)
I think maybe I would have preferred to see all the Kiwi fruit though.

Nice take on the Theme Watery David :)

Phil

Elegant - definitely the first edit for me, the 2nd seems too cropped at the bottom. Bang on theme for sure!
Watery - I too wondered whether you could go closer? Maybe darken the background just a smidge but a good take on the theme
;)

Hi d00d quite like the crop, even closer maybe:thinking: only crit it seems to lack a little brightness, but only slightly

Hi David.
Watery....I like the crop very much.
A tad brighter? Maybe, but as it is, it's pretty faithful to a kiwi!

I find myself wishing for just one tear of kiwi juice to be sliding down the flesh though.

Thanks for commenting. (y)

The final crop was a slightly difficult choice ... I tried less to include the whole cross-section, and more to zoom in to detail. But, I don't know, decided upon the above.

Last edited:
Nice close up and use of light. I might have called it "Juicy" rather then watery :) ... But I can see where you're coming from with it. Yum ....

Hi David

Watery.. Nice shot. I like the crop that you have done..
doesn't shout out watery, more juicy to me. But having said that its still a great photo..

Thanks guys

You are both absolutely right: it's juice really, isn't it!

When thinking "watery" I wanted to do something other than erm just water .... should have bought a water melon instead ... would be hard to argue water melon juice is not water. ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
Nice crop nice idea. Looks good enough to eat.
You appear to have got the same white spots I got on my melon shot

Thanks Simon ... had to get the light at the right angle. White spots = glistening watery. :LOL:

Ooo that looks nice and watery to me mate, I could eat a slice right now !!!

Super colours and real good close in detail, the glint of reflections is spot on (y)

Good one David. Meets the theme very well. Well exposed and good detail in the image.

Hi d00d smashing choice there ....yep....it looks good enough to eat :)

Hi David, lovely shot, it fits the theme really well and it's making my mouth water just looking at it :)

Different take on the theme but a nicely executed shot.

Companions - Great idea for the theme and well executed. The exposure has been well handled given the contrast of colours between the two subjects

Elegant - I feel this has been nicely handled in terms of lighting. The bulb of the lamp is not blown to distraction and the use of a vignette has given a sense of what the subject is.

Watery - Good choice of subject and nicely positioned. A bit more exposure would have lifted it I feel.

Thanks all (y)

Wasn't sure how this "watery" would go down, but I'm pleased with the feedback.

And thanks Peter @Delta Skies for thumbs up for my last three submissions.

Hi David... bit of a catch up from me!

Elegant - Good take and as Andy says, well-handled highlights! I prefer the edit, although I'd personally like the shadow lifted slightly. I do like the mystery created by having the vignette at the bottom (not normally a fan but it works here) but I'd still prefer to see more of the darks further up, so a shadow lift would help that IMO.

Watery - cracking shot of the kiwi. Everything works well for me... absolutely spot on. It could bear more exposure as long as you watch the white point to avoid the specular highlights getting any bigger... Really nicely taken image :)

really nice watery shot - looks good enough to eat! I like the crop too :)

Hi David... bit of a catch up from me!

Elegant - Good take and as Andy says, well-handled highlights! I prefer the edit, although I'd personally like the shadow lifted slightly. I do like the mystery created by having the vignette at the bottom (not normally a fan but it works here) but I'd still prefer to see more of the darks further up, so a shadow lift would help that IMO.

Watery - cracking shot of the kiwi. Everything works well for me... absolutely spot on. It could bear more exposure as long as you watch the white point to avoid the specular highlights getting any bigger... Really nicely taken image :)

Watery - great close up shot of the kiwi, looks very watery indeed. Nice detail in the image, I feel I'd prefer to see a whole kiwi fruit.

Water, pity about the specular highlights, but nice detail and certainly on theme.

Cheers.

really nice watery shot - looks good enough to eat! I like the crop too :)

Thanks all ... glad you like it .... the "specular highlights" were done in PP > HDR to emphasise watery.

Saw something BOLD today in the Breitling shop New Bond Street .... then did some photshoppery .... here is the sooc

Week 7 - Bold

7.bold2.jpg

EDIT added Thursday 19/02/2015 at 12.15 PM
7.bold3.jpg

Last edited:
What a cracking piece of art. Works for me. Pity about the wall on the RHS, but the guy doesn't look too happy so best get what you can and get outa there :)

Cheers.

Watery works well, I like the crop, and the blown out Kiwis in the background.

Bold - That's not the word my Gran would have used for someone showing that amount of knicker! It's a good spot, and on theme. The brown panel on the RHS draws my eye a little, maybe due the texture on it, and I kinda want to see the elbow, but I'm guessing it wouldn't have gone down too well if you'd have started shifting stuff around.

I think my gran and Nick's gran would have been thinking along the same lines :LOL:
Fit's the theme though, and it's not something you see every day.
The only thing I'm not so keen on is the "speckly" BG.

Thanks guys ... yes I was on my best behaviour, didn't want to touch anything, just take a sneaky snap or two. With watches priced at £10K+ there is tight security, they let you in then they lock you in! I've just found this slideshow at the top of THIS WEB PAGE

@viv1969 I will change the BG just for you.

Been fiddling with colours, textures, crop too.

See Above

Ha, she's a lot Bolder than I was ;) But at least she was wearing knickers :facepalm:

Nice idea David. I find the texture better in the edit as in the first one the side panel looked wider at the bottom than the top because of the colour effect.

Hi David, sorry I haven't commented on yours yet :rolleyes::sorry::facepalm:
Bold.
WOW. I think it's within theme, although it would be more so if she was real ;) I like the noise in the first edit but prefer the crop of the second. shame about the wall, but what can you do? If it wasn't blocking her arm you couldve cloned the wall out and used a gradient to continue the lightening shade. Good stuff!!!

Hi, of the two I prefer the second one, certainly bold in nature pity about the wall really

But at least she was wearing knickers :facepalm: .
:D

Thats rather an interesting piece of art work & the 2nd edit is better too IMO (y)

Liking your 2nd edit for bold David. I had a look at the sooc edfit too, found it quite interesting as I had originally thought the girl was a small and definitely no bigger than say a barbie doll, how wrong I was!

Hey David
Watery: nice shot... Like the DOF you've used on and it's got some lovely detail in it. Reminds me a bit of those glass chopping boards that have the picture laminated inside them (that was meant to be a compliment- honest![emoji23][emoji23])

Bold: isn't she just![emoji15] actually like the left wall on the first shot - adds a bit of glitz and glamour, not keen on the effect on the right wall. The edit works better overall for me, with the bigger crop. You're a brave man to risk the wrath of that salesman![emoji23]

bold - well you've nailed that David, well spotted. I like the background in the second shot, but prefer the deeper colour of the dress in the first :)

Very good and I thought I chanced it taking a picture in a supermarket :)

bold fits the theme, I like what you did with the 2nd image, the first one looks as though there was a fault with your camera :D

Hi David

Not really sure quite what to say about Bold....different for sure & on theme plus some pp that makes it look even more cgi'ish...& what a random thing to have in a Brietling shop :jawdrop:

Watery......nice detail but a Peter says, possibly a little more light would lift it a bit & maybe croping the bottom to match the top :thinking:

Back