weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi to all newbies and oldies ... I've got about another 48 hours in which to post my 52nd and final 52 in 2014. I enjoyed the challenge but to be honest I found the commenting a bit of a bind at times ... gets easier as challengers fall by the wayside. :LOL:

Now to start my 2nd year .....

A simple shot of a mural by local littluns - hope that passes as patterns - in PP I softened the pavement and gave the wall a kind of HDR effect

WEEK 0 - Pattern

1.pattern.jpg

I found the commenting a bit of a bind at times ... gets easier as challengers fall by the wayside. :LOL:

Can't say I disagree with you here. I'm up-to-date with comments so far and I'm getting 'that look' from Jackie for spending so much time on TP; but I do feel its very important to comment on submissions, after all, we are all here to learn and improve.

Here's what I'm doing: Just to add, the first few weeks of the TP52 can be mental, trying to comment on 80+ submissions can be very taxing. What I intend to do is for the first few weeks comment on what I consider to be the best submission for the previous month. Once numbers dwindle, which they unfortunately will, I'll comment on more. Of course, I would not expect you to comment on all my submissions (y)

Nice practice submission here. On theme and I like the etherial feel.

Cheers.

Certainly fulfills the brief for me and the HDR effect on the well makes it 'pop' nicely. And don't worry about commenting on everyone. Those of us who have done it before know the score, at least at the beginning.

Great lines in the shot and strong colours running through. I'm not so keen on the softening of the pavement though.

I quite like seeing graffiti around towns etc as long it's not just some plebs name in silver spray paint[emoji23].... Like the brightness and boldness of the art against the softness of the adjusted pavement (which looks like could be a pastel drawing of a pavement on the wall below the mural) if that makes sense?[emoji15]

Good to see you back again David.
I'm really hoping to get chance to go round all the 2014 52s tomorrow (today now I suppose) and congratulate everyone who made it to the end . . . but if I don't, take my congratulations in here :)

That's certainly some crazy and bright graffiti and it absolutely fits the theme.
I'm not totally convinced by the softened pavement, but overall it definitely gives it a surreal feel. Puts me in mind of something out of Dr Who for some reason :thinking:

It certainly fits the theme, nice and bright too :)

Nice and colourful to brighten up a winters day. I think I would have gone for a tighter shot, but not sure how this would work with the angle.

Hi David, welcome back!

I like that - definitely on theme and interesting. I'd probably crop the bottom to where the wall meets the pavement as that focuses more on the wall, but that's just personal preference.

First one in the bag - looking forward to tomorrow!

HI David...good to see you back for another year of torture :D

& you're bang right about commenting......I'm having a mega catch up today but suspect the next few months are gonna be a mare.......

Liking the abstract art in your image......wondering if you can warp & crop it so it fills all the top of the frame where the plain brick work is :thinking: Like the pavement effect , wouldn't have guessed you'd softened it , I just thought it was wet :rolleyes:

Nice shot David one of my favs of this round.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Welcome back d00d, glad to see you're still here :D I always love your street scenes and this one's no exception - love all the bright colours and the perspective that the angle of the pavement gives it.

With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Week 1 - Bliss

had trouble coming up with anything other than the food/drink angle, and found an unusual bottle of reasonably blissful almond liqueur at the back of the drinks cupboard ...

1.bliss.jpg

Looks tasty, on theme, well lit and a good still-life composition. My only niggle, is that I think the background is a little off-putting. Perhaps you can crop it out and put something plainer or Mediterranean in it's place.

Liking the composition and the way the colour of the clementines really pops out and adds an extra dimension against all the green. As you say, a very unusual but interesting bottle and label - not something I've ever heard of before - it's amazing what we find at the back of our cupboards :D

Hiya David... nicely on theme for me! I like the additions of the almonds as well and for me the background & table combo works. Makes it more interesting than a conventional product shot on a white/grey/xxx plain surface.

A wider DOF and I think you'd have nailed that one.

A well set up shot but I agree that the background doesn't work. I love the colours in your pattern shot.

Thanks for all the comments ... BG is not popular o_O

A wider DOF and I think you'd have nailed that one.

Paul, do you mean the field between everything on the table to get the lime a bit sharper? Or to get the BG in focus?

Nice idea others have covered the small negatives but its still an ok shot (y)

I like the contrast between the dull pavement and the vibrant, busy walls in pattern. Gives the impression of life and youth in a grey, urban environment.

The still life doesn't say bliss to me personally, the tones are dark and smack of the 1970s (to me), they really do suit that kind of shot very well though. It could be a promo shot in an old in-flight magazine. Only the background let's it down a little, but only a little.

The still life doesn't say bliss to me personally, the tones are dark and smack of the 1970s (to me), they really do suit that kind of shot very well though. It could be a promo shot in an old in-flight magazine. Only the background let's it down a little, but only a little.

Thanks for your comments Nick, most interesting. I wasn't trying to say "bliss" as in an empty bottle of whiskey, a joint or a syringe but as in two nicely presented delicate little drinks for a special moment. The tones? well spotted ... I used the digital equivalent of the old cross-processing technique from the 70s. The BG .... was intended to give some real life.

Whilst not aiming for the promo-shot look, the whole thing still looks contrived, I know.

http://crossprocessing.info/

Last edited:
Bliss
Its a nice photos, i doesn't shout out bliss, but having said that nor did my photo. Bliss is a personal subject.
As you have already pointed out yourself if does look overly contrived.
And it certainly does a 70's feel the the photo, and i like it.
:agree:

Hi d00d, bliss I like the composition and the slightly strange processing very 70's indeed the BG could be better but I am sure that is just personal taste
you do have a certain style to your pics and that can only be a good thing (y)

Hi d00d, bliss I like the composition and the slightly strange processing very 70's indeed the BG could be better but I am sure that is just personal taste
you do have a certain style to your pics and that can only be a good thing (y)

I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Welcome back Allan. :clap:

Hi, Fragile, lovely colours and nice composition. I think a little brighter and a tad more saturation to the colours might improve.

Cheers.

Back