weekly d00d's 52s in 2021 > Week 11 ~ Smooth

EDIT to add ....

I fancied getting out with the camera, spent a couple of hours in and around Westfield London, planning to fill the frame 50:50 with opposing architecture and or shopping centre glitter. But that wasn't so easy. Later I was passing a pair of 30s semis, they shared the same roof - no dividing line or parapet wall type thingy. One house had what's probably the original half of roof, the neighbour's half was renewed, badly. I bet he wish he hadn't bothered. One half dirty brown and mossy, the other bright pink. In PP I found B&W worked well, losing the contrast colours but seeming to emphasise the higgledy-pigglediness of the join.

week 8 - Halves
ACtC-3fmI9Vvcodu_nCqlGW0aldzjJbN5Idi-M28gzKs5tU98BHXKQYrryqYsXTsORjhzn_s2odhKOB_1FFCT-7Typw5utNKVt87KwcMC4daPrtDIgEjYvzxVvfx8qJxAzJbZPqzMIV2ZIoLr6L6hwLYv6sG-A=w1561-h867-no

Last edited:
Ouch! The roof tiles don't look old.

It certainly says halves to me.

Ouch! The roof tiles don't look old.

It certainly says halves to me.
Thanks Boots. Right side is pre-war, I think.

I've edited my post above ... a bit of an explanation.

Yes, that says half/halves to me David. You mentioned about the different colour tiles on each side, did you not fancy the colour version of it?
Colour sounds as if it would accentuate the theme. Only thing I find niggles a little with me is the vignette, maybe just a touch strong for my taste.
That doesn't put me off liking it, good work, well spotted (y)

Yes, that says half/halves to me David. You mentioned about the different colour tiles on each side, did you not fancy the colour version of it?
Colour sounds as if it would accentuate the theme. Only thing I find niggles a little with me is the vignette, maybe just a touch strong for my taste.
That doesn't put me off liking it, good work, well spotted (y)
Thanks for your comments Iain. Yes perhaps I went a bit OTT with the editing, as the end result is not what I saw, it's not what made me take the shot in the first place.

ACtC-3fL05TXiAlIacvSkuPB_xQ9qh-8u7hDJz27J7rRt3u0nMVk3nH8MSj9gVfd5atb_8KAwNQTj4_1yGL14KdAomP8uFweS6ksTGd5BPyu1Z07nJ56aEhGQpcZwDb9DRPRf-ZY2isuZc9IeqmxOOeZMUPdoA=w1533-h867-no

Your B&W edit does accentuate the disrepair of the roof which works for me. Looks like the roofer added more than the half share!

Half
That looks horrendous (not your photo, but the roof). I bet it's the winds blowing the wrong way, the rain must be going into the loft space.
I like the b/w version, although there's nothing wrong with the colour, but I would keep the crop the same as the first.

as the end result is not what I saw, it's not what made me take the shot in the first place.

When I saw the black & white version then saw the explanation and the revised colour version I agree with Iain (and you!). The colour version works better because (I think) it hits the theme better, but more importantly it's your vision.

Your B&W edit does accentuate the disrepair of the roof which works for me. Looks like the roofer added more than the half share!
Yeah, thanks Stuart

Half
That looks horrendous (not your photo, but the roof). I bet it's the winds blowing the wrong way, the rain must be going into the loft space.
I like the b/w version, although there's nothing wrong with the colour, but I would keep the crop the same as the first.
Looks like nightmare roof for someone. Thanks Dom.

Definitely the colour one for me but cropped to #1, I did a quick zoom in and I think that looks spot on, but they all fit the theme. I’m so pleased that’s not my roof ....well spotted!
Thanks susie

When I saw the black & white version then saw the explanation and the revised colour version I agree with Iain (and you!). The colour version works better because (I think) it hits the theme better, but more importantly it's your vision.
Thanks Ian. I first saw pink half, brown half. When studying the photo in B&W I saw a breaks not following the pink/brown tile line, which I kinda liked more but perhaps not so theme-fitting.

I really liked the black and white, with the close crop and the vignette, but as I scrolled down, I also really liked the colour - mainly because I think it show up the mismatch more. it looks like they may suffer if there are some high winds!

Well spotted. I think the colour version accentuates the different halves but prefer the mono version as an image.
Have to say that roof doesn't look like it'll be particularly water tight!

I really liked the black and white, with the close crop and the vignette, but as I scrolled down, I also really liked the colour - mainly because I think it show up the mismatch more. it looks like they may suffer if there are some high winds!

Well spotted. I think the colour version accentuates the different halves but prefer the mono version as an image.
Have to say that roof doesn't look like it'll be particularly water tight!

Thank you both. :)

I got a few of these this morning around Shepherds Bush. Upturned chairs in the window looked best. And THIS is it on a sunny day, virus permitting.

Week 09 Reflection
ACtC-3dbJvKuOlSxlhoL-V9KsKY6_NUa-QpKGCdwAPheoOOnr-X4T3jg_qmqeIOqyHv_umzS1ShcdIiksMzieeNAEy0OkEQU9gCxhcT1vdoTy1mjO6Y4fHK_maQtPus0IE9L3tptQwrA9ZZr9W1ScNJsEQY_Mg=w1229-h867-no

At first sight I thought I needed a new pair of glasses David :D

Kinda weird but also nice (y)

Certainly looks like they had the cowboys in to do that roof. If that's an improvement, I wonder what it looked like before.
Not sure If I the B&W or colour.

I do like reflections. A bit of social commentary/reportage with everything closed for covid.

I like it too David. It has a double exposure kinda look about it which makes it interesting IMHO.
I might be tempted to crop a little off the right hand side. The yellow box on the pedestrian crossing catches my eye a little and holds my view on that side.
Not a biggie though, it doesn't detract from the shot..

Yep I like that :)

Certainly looks like they had the cowboys in to do that roof. If that's an improvement, I wonder what it looked like before.
Not sure If I the B&W or colour.
Yep cowboy roofers, thanks.

I do like reflections. A bit of social commentary/reportage with everything closed for covid.
Yep even the Uxbridge Rd is deserted.

I like it too David. It has a double exposure kinda look about it which makes it interesting IMHO.
I might be tempted to crop a little off the right hand side. The yellow box on the pedestrian crossing catches my eye a little and holds my view on that side.
Not a biggie though, it doesn't detract from the shot..
Thanks Iain, yep, I was thinking it's like a double exposure, but it's not. Not shoppery at all.

There are a couple of colourful bits I thought about desaturating, but then decided to leave it alone. I thought that bit on the end with the olive tree in a pot ... looking down the road, was a bonus.

Just the kind of picture I like. It's chaotic, but obvious at the same time. I initially thought I'd like it better as a dirty mono, but the more I look the more I think the colour stops it from becoming confused.

As someone mentioned above I would probably crop it to one window it’s an interesting reflection though

I really like images like this as I'm always looking for what the subject is. Chairs? The windows of the high street? Windows in windows? Abstracty but not too much, I think it works well.

Reflection
I like that. Maybe I'd crop down the window frame line, on the right-hand side.

A nice bit of social commentary there. Well spotted. I wonder how we'll feel looking back on our lockdown images?

Just the kind of picture I like. It's chaotic, but obvious at the same time. I initially thought I'd like it better as a dirty mono, but the more I look the more I think the colour stops it from becoming confused.
As someone mentioned above I would probably crop it to one window it’s an interesting reflection though
I really like images like this as I'm always looking for what the subject is. Chairs? The windows of the high street? Windows in windows? Abstracty but not too much, I think it works well.
Perfect for the theme d00d, well spotted, I did think about a crop on the right but I see what you mean about the olive tree.
Reflection
I like that. Maybe I'd crop down the window frame line, on the right-hand side.
A nice bit of social commentary there. Well spotted. I wonder how we'll feel looking back on our lockdown images?
Agree on the double exposure sort of look, very nice.
(y) Thanks all for your comments. I have tried cropping out that other window panel RHS but don't think it's so good, TBH. But I do appreciate your thoughts.

Week 10 ~ A rusty old piece of rough old iron ....

ACtC-3df6WQ4865aEqx8BiWb6fuZdVNTwpUQgL10QjwbOMYmZu0rlHZkHiAkKxNGOsgMmajSvUA537XG5aAtoaT_ecmuV-ZHYWaWolmj1h56CeSNboFhPnSCO2onwnYnYTBgNdGArMOkgCJmP4fyfvuVX1KmQQ=w1228-h867-no

Rough
Lots of detail in the rust, I like the spiders web and the background, which is nicely out of focus.

Striking colours and lovely sharp detail.

Edit: just spotted your reflection photo - that's a true reflection of lockdown isn't it? It does send your eyes a bit funny but there is so much to see, I really like it.

Last edited:
So my 1st impression was the OCD desire to see this rotated 90 degrees clockwise. The detail is lovely but it's the shape that strikes me, and it feels awkward in this landscape format.

Colours are fab though!

old iron ..
Now I have that Stanley Holloway song stuck in my head ..
Thanks for that :p

Nice tones and textures David.

That is a great piece of metal, well spotted.

Now, I would have rotated the camera about 20 degrees anticlockwise.

Back