weekly d00d's 52s in 2021 > Week 11 ~ Smooth

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi .... call me d00d :cool:

I did the 52s in '14, '15, '16, '17, falling by the wayside halfway through year 2018.

I'm back for 2021, always hoping to improve my photography, and this place has taught me a lot in the past.

I aim to look in daily, post my pic within the week, keep on top with the critique isms. Have some fun :)

Last edited:
week 0 ... My battered old pocket camera is always NEARBY

ACtC-3eozhWeK8_KSo-Tw6VHI-bl34znnIXOjg5oQIGp55DI43FCt2f8_ralLjzE4bw3QIzCOAWQ8FOvqn39kbLHqsYdyvjNoS7xQIdQLyTtUVTJ2mxtInYoekRjsnwOm9rrCAoOEf6bCMq4_27ge8up1xYAkQ=w1147-h867-no

I’m surprised no one else went for a similar idea well composed and a good background

good to see you back

It's good to see you back @d00d :)
Like you, I try to keep a compact handy (though mine is a 2010 vintage TZ8 with a much smaller sensor).
Nice use of different angles to spice up the composition, and also good to see the temptation to go very shallow on the DoF has been resisted.

A camera in a photography thread?
What were you thinking? :D

A nice start David (y)

I’m surprised no one else went for a similar idea well composed and a good background

good to see you back
Thanks Allan yes good to see you too.

Yes most have gone for the local landmark variation on a theme, rather than the dog/camera companion. ;)

Now I just wish I'd added a few props, pocket contents, like some coins, spare battery, pencil stub ...

It's good to see you back @d00d :)
Like you, I try to keep a compact handy (though mine is a 2010 vintage TZ8 with a much smaller sensor).
Nice use of different angles to spice up the composition, and also good to see the temptation to go very shallow on the DoF has been resisted.
Good to see you too Tim

And I've got an old TZ something or other somewhere.

Re the DoF .... I tried in-camera focus stacking, but it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. Then went for a long exposure at f/.14

Nice start David - nice (Dutch?) angle and composition. Welcome (back) to the 52s!
Thank you @Shugpug (y)

...not dutch tilt, not knowingly, I just set things at odd angles, and had the subject so you could read all writing top & front, see all controls nice & sharp.

Last edited:
Welcome back, always good to have your camera nearby

Nice start, nice muted colours in the image and good to have the subject fill the frame so well.

Nice take on the theme, like you mentioned other pocket contents would have possibly added something to it but still a cracking first image for 2021. It was my first year last year and despite the odds managed a full set and like you I have learnt so much from others and also their images on here. I look forward to seeing what I can learn from you and your images... no pressure. :)

Nice take on the theme, like you mentioned other pocket contents would have possibly added something to it but still a cracking first image for 2021. It was my first year last year and despite the odds managed a full set and like you I have learnt so much from others and also their images on here. I look forward to seeing what I can learn from you and your images... :)
Thank you Heather. You never stop learning, sometimes you can take a step in the wrong direction, then you've got catching up to do.

no pressure. :)

:runaway:

Nice shot nice camera :)

The best camera is the one you have with you! The upside-down-ness is giving me a Dreyfus twitch (Pink Panther ref) but it's a nice clean image.

Welcome aboard.. and a good idea for the first theme. Always good to have another Canon fan on board :)

Good to see you back David, cool shot.
Thanks Dave

Nice shot nice camera :)
Thanks Dave

The best camera is the one you have with you! The upside-down-ness is giving me a Dreyfus twitch (Pink Panther ref) but it's a nice clean image.
Thanks Ian .... yeah, I'm not sure what I had in mind when arranging it like that.

Welcome aboard.. and a good idea for the first theme. Always good to have another Canon fan on board
Thanks Helen. Me? I go through all the camera brands. ;)

Been out round the streets locally shooting holly and other red berries. Then saw a dead rose in a neighbour's front garden.

Fruit: In botany, a fruit is the seed-bearing structure in flowering plants © Wikipedia

Week 01 Fruit
ACtC-3f0NNjcIkIl-kVwJ49uFyuOeJI_EBMeSvKT_YNcFVfbMxLbhMDH_v0gYAwv82l66Mvn5fzC7RK5tVrYBYg1AZh1fi6cMofWuI-WDyk0BnY0EsQeDykLyvu6k7zmEoQBYGJpO36lCs1ZTF0vXledRInDNA=w1197-h867-no

Nicely done :)

There are some vicious looking thorns in the OOF areas there!

Very organic! I wasn't sure about the background at first, but on reflection, I rather like it.

the white of the tiled path gives a wintery feel to the image.
Rosehips are very good for you (except the hairs round the seeds which are an irritant) they are high in vitamin C I made rosehip jam last year very tasty.

Nice bit of decay the BG as pointed out does look a little odd but it grows on you

nice detail on the rose hip.

Thanks guys (y)

I live in an Edwardian terrace and we have these B&W tiles out front, I love them.

organic @Shugpug ... yay

and @minx those hairy seeds must be what we put down the shirts of other boys during school morning assembly ... and watch them squirm :ROFLMAO:

Very nice detailed close up David.
And I'm not arguing the definition.

Those tiles make a very cool background. I can almost feel the plants taking over. Nice take on the theme.

Just to echo everyone above David, a great take on the theme and a little fun fact too ;)
The background really does compliment the main subject, well spotted and presented.

Fruit
It's a shame you couldn't isolate the hip a bit more.
You've got good detail in the hip and it's nice and sharp.
What is it we photographers find beauty in dead or dying plants?

Nice image - I always like a bit of decay.

Very nice detailed close up David.
And I'm not arguing the definition.

So not a dead tomato then ;)
Quite some magnification you've got there. I agree with some of the comments re the background, it does work well (IMO).

Thank you guys.

And Tim, 1:1 magnification, I bought this little macro lens really just for walk around shots like this.

Back