D500

I haven't actually gone through the menu on mine just now, but when I have in the past I haven't seen the option, and the manual seems to confirm this. I guess it makes sense as both slots are the same so why give the option which is primary.

Am I right in thinking the D500 files are larger than the D750 despite having less resolution? They're about 40mb aren't they at 14bit?

D4/D4s both have that option ... my files are all under 30mb, 14-bit, lossless compressed.

It had the 16-80mm f2.8-4 when I tried it which is the 'higher end' kit zoom. What is it you prefer over the D810, other than the obvious frame rate?
Hi Snerkler.

This is going to sound super-weird, but I'll give it a go!

I have 3 FF Nikons (D750, D810 & D5...plus my wife has the Df). I hated my D5 and at one point, had it up for sale. My D750 was/is my go-to camera. That's always in my bag first, then it was pick of one from the other two. Until recently, it was the D810. After taking my 'For Sale' ad down for my D5, I thought I'd give it another go. In the last 2 weeks, I've done a wedding and a dance competition where lighting was challenging to say the least. The D5 was given one last chance and performed excellently in those two events so I decided to definitely keep it. I

I've been hankering after some extra reach for quite some time now and I'm not a huge fan of teleconverters. I'm also not a fan of zooms (sorry chaps) and the chances of me owning a 500mm ƒ/4 are slim to none. Luggage weight is also an issue as I'm planning on a safari type holiday and also fancy hitting the Mach Loop. Finally, I've been wanting a body that gives me files similar to the D5. The colour differences between the D5, Df, D750 and D810 all vary quite a bit. It would be nice to have two cameras that perform similar. The D810 has literally been pushed into 3rd place (only has 8157 actuations on it). So by default, it has to go as I cannot justify 4 FF bodies. The file size doesn't bother me in the slightest on the D810, I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

So in a nutshell, this is why:

• The crop sensor
  • Similar file output to the D5
  • That sexy AF that fills the viewfinder!
  • My least used body
I've been offered a fair deal on it so I'm meeting someone halfway between Leicester and Manchester on Friday. He's happy, I'm happy. I don't need to rinse him. Some may say I get the raw deal but it suits me so I'm fine with it.

Hi Snerkler.

This is going to sound super-weird, but I'll give it a go!

I have 3 FF Nikons (D750, D810 & D5...plus my wife has the Df). I hated my D5 and at one point, had it up for sale. My D750 was/is my go-to camera. That's always in my bag first, then it was pick of one from the other two. Until recently, it was the D810. After taking my 'For Sale' ad down for my D5, I thought I'd give it another go. In the last 2 weeks, I've done a wedding and a dance competition where lighting was challenging to say the least. The D5 was given one last chance and performed excellently in those two events so I decided to definitely keep it. I

I've been hankering after some extra reach for quite some time now and I'm not a huge fan of teleconverters. I'm also not a fan of zooms (sorry chaps) and the chances of me owning a 500mm ƒ/4 are slim to none. Luggage weight is also an issue as I'm planning on a safari type holiday and also fancy hitting the Mach Loop. Finally, I've been wanting a body that gives me files similar to the D5. The colour differences between the D5, Df, D750 and D810 all vary quite a bit. It would be nice to have two cameras that perform similar. The D810 has literally been pushed into 3rd place (only has 8157 actuations on it). So by default, it has to go as I cannot justify 4 FF bodies. The file size doesn't bother me in the slightest on the D810, I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

So in a nutshell, this is why:

• The crop sensor
  • Similar file output to the D5
  • That sexy AF that fills the viewfinder!
  • My least used body
I've been offered a fair deal on it so I'm meeting someone halfway between Leicester and Manchester on Friday. He's happy, I'm happy. I don't need to rinse him. Some may say I get the raw deal but it suits me so I'm fine with it.
I can see the logic in that, I didn't realise you had so many bodies. I've always been waiting for that 'perfect' camera but tbh I'm doing more now where having a second body is useful (for fear of failure and/or to save swapping lenses) so having options (i.e. FF and crop) is welcomed.

I can see the logic in that, I didn't realise you had so many bodies. I've always been waiting for that 'perfect' camera but tbh I'm doing more now where having a second body is useful (for fear of failure and/or to save swapping lenses) so having options (i.e. FF and crop) is welcomed.

I am tempted to rent one just to give it another go. I think though, my perfect camera might just be round the corner!

I don't want to get a D500 only for the D760 to come along and improve on the D750!

But the urge to try the 500 again is still there.

I am tempted to rent one just to give it another go. I think though, my perfect camera might just be round the corner!

I don't want to get a D500 only for the D760 to come along and improve on the D750!

But the urge to try the 500 again is still there.
There's always something better around the corner, that's just the way it is. TBH for what you're shooting I'd choose the D750. For most of my stuff I'd also choose the D750, I'm just lucky that I can get a second body (well third if you include the EM1) for those times reach, frame rate and AF spread come in handy.

A very understand wife you got there Toby

There's always something better around the corner, that's just the way it is...

Isn't that just the truth!?

The D760 will be tempting, but seriously, I absolutely cannot entertain the thought of another body! Shouldn't be wishing my life away but looking forward to Friday.

The colour differences between the D5, Df, D750 and D810 all vary quite a bit. It would be nice to have two cameras that perform similar. .

Have you thought have using the Colorchecker Passport to set up profiles for each camera so they all display more accurate colours, and so, in theory, deliver similar colours from each camera? Afaik, only works with RAW files.

As an aside and owner of a d500 that is the proverbial imo, I missed my d700 and so got a d3 recently.
I do have to say that there is something about the d3/700 images that I prefer over any other body, just my eyes of course but still so 'nice'..

Have you thought have using the Colorchecker Passport to set up profiles for each camera so they all display more accurate colours, and so, in theory, deliver similar colours from each camera? Afaik, only works with RAW files.
Sometimes the answer is in front of us, so obvious and we do not see it!!! Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give it a go!

Am I right in thinking the D500 files are larger than the D750 despite having less resolution? They're about 40mb aren't they at 14bit?

Yes, you can choose to use your SD as primary with the XQD as backup.

Also, I have yet to see any of my RAW files over 30mb. The highest that I can find is 28.3mb. This is with 14-bit, uncompressed.

Hope that helps.

A very understand wife you got there Toby
Yep. But also it's the only thing I spend money on too. I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't have kids etc etc.

Isn't that just the truth!?

The D760 will be tempting, but seriously, I absolutely cannot entertain the thought of another body! Shouldn't be wishing my life away but looking forward to Friday.
TBH I'd be surprised if the D760 offers enough to warrant upgrading from the D750. It's will have marginally better AF, and maybe more MP. I doubt it'll have a higher frame rate and we'll have to wait and see what the sensor's like now that it appears that Sony aren't supplying the sensors anymore.

Yes, you can choose to use your SD as primary with the XQD as backup.

Also, I have yet to see any of my RAW files over 30mb. The highest that I can find is 28.3mb. This is with 14-bit, uncompressed.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, very helpful I was just going on this tbh, but then looking at it there's some strange info. For example, at 14 bit lossless compressed the file sizes are said to be 25mb and you get 1300 pics on a 64gb card, yet it says you also get 1300 pics on a 64gb card with 14 bit uncompressed which it says are 45mb. Now I know these bodies rate the number prior to compression, but for a chart like this you'd think they'd give a representation of the actual number.

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 08.30.01.png

Edit: If I download the files from here, RAWs are 42mb, so are you sure you're using uncompressed?

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.1312927631284066&y=-0.9790009973890715

Decisions time, do I order a D500 from Panamoz with 3 year transferable warranty, or save £100 and order from digitalrev but only with a 1 year warranty?

Aaarrrrghhhh, too many choices in life :LOL:

Decisions time, do I order a D500 from Panamoz with 3 year transferable warranty, or save £100 and order from digitalrev but only with a 1 year warranty?

Pano IMO - seen a lot of people who have had issues with DR.

I'm still thinking about one again... damn this place!!!! lol

Use the one that gets most good reports from users here.

@Swanseajack - those are some of the best pics Ive seen from the 150-600...assuming Sig Sport ?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comment, I use the Contemporary version of the lens. The Sport would be too heavy for me and from what I have seen, it's not worth the extra cash for the little gains.

Panamoz for me. There was a thread on here a few years ago from ricardoforce when he had to deal with DR for a faulty Panasonic LX7. Never have bought off them after reading that thread and have had excellent service from Panamoz, including a faulty D750.... Dealt with in days and quicker than most UK companies.

Come on guys get the bloody thing bough you both starting to sound like me. Ha ha
Don't think so, no-one's that bad ;) I know what I want, just trying to find the best price :p

Panamoz for me. There was a thread on here a few years ago from ricardoforce when he had to deal with DR for a faulty Panasonic LX7. Never have bought off them after reading that thread and have had excellent service from Panamoz, including a faulty D750.... Dealt with in days and quicker than most UK companies.
Thanks for the heads up (y)

I bought a D750 from Panamoz last year and when I decided to get a D500 I sold it to a chap in the classifieds here and the warranty was transferred to him with no problems at all, it went very smoothly and quickly
I have to date never heard anything bad about Panamoz but I cannot say the same about Digitalrev.

HDEW £1429 PANAMOZ £1437

Purchased my D500 last month from Hdew - got a VAT invoice and three year guarantee.
I also collected from the UK office which is only about 30 mins from where I live.

Just purchased a D5 as well but got that from Park Cameras as HDEW could not supply. I could have purchased from Panamoz but they wouldn't supply a VAT invoice and price was actually better from Park once the VAT was taken into account.

Hdew Guarantee info taken from website

"Does my product come with a warranty?

All products come with a standard 1-year manufacturers warranty based on the sales invoice you receive with the product. All you need is to keep the invoice.

In addition we supply an extended cover on the camera bodies only to allow you to have the product repaired for a further 2 years (3 year guarentee in total). You need to keep the sales invoice and the Xtendcover card, which comes with the product.

Please note many but not all of our offers include the extended guarantee. This is clearly indicated in the titles of the products or bundles for sale. (Extended warranties are only placed on Camera units not Accessories or Lenses). Naturally if the product is delivered with a fault then a replacement can be supplied."

Last edited:
Anyone got/tried the Sigma 30mm 1.4 art on a D500?

My walk about lens is a 50 on the D750. I know the 35 DX is a popular choice, but was wondering how this lens performs.

HDEW £1429 PANAMOZ £1437

Purchased my D500 last month from Hdew - got a VAT invoice and three year guarantee.
I also collected from the UK office which is only about 30 mins from where I live.

Just purchased a D5 as well but got that from Park Cameras as HDEW could not supply. I could have purchased from Panamoz but they wouldn't supply a VAT invoice and price was actually better from Park once the VAT was taken into account.

Hdew Guarantee info taken from website

"Does my product come with a warranty?

All products come with a standard 1-year manufacturers warranty based on the sales invoice you receive with the product. All you need is to keep the invoice.

In addition we supply an extended cover on the camera bodies only to allow you to have the product repaired for a further 2 years (3 year guarentee in total). You need to keep the sales invoice and the Xtendcover card, which comes with the product.

Please note many but not all of our offers include the extended guarantee. This is clearly indicated in the titles of the products or bundles for sale. (Extended warranties are only placed on Camera units not Accessories or Lenses). Naturally if the product is delivered with a fault then a replacement can be supplied."

Also from the HDEW website:

Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered.

Which is extremely odd, bearing in mind price and VAT invoice!

"By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered."

From my point of view I am happy that I authorised HDEW to clear the goods on my behalf. As far as I am concerned the costs of that clearance have been met by me as evidenced by the VAT invoice I received from HDEW (which does contain their VAT reg Number).

Three separate purchases from them now in the last month or so and not a single problem.

"By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered."

From my point of view I am happy that I authorised HDEW to clear the goods on my behalf. As far as I am concerned the costs of that clearance have been met by me as evidenced by the VAT invoice I received from HDEW (which does contain their VAT reg Number).

Three separate purchases from them now in the last month or so and not a single problem.
But you could get stung with import duties reading this :(

The sun is out so I took the D500 into the garden. Some signs of spring.

Small tortoiseshell jpeg 23.3.17.jpg Bringing pollen into apidea 23.3.17 jpeg_.jpg

Small tortoiseshell and honey bees bringing in pollen. Both handheld and heavily cropped.

Last edited:

Most people buying imported goods don't have a problem ... but I haven't found any other company selling at 'Grey' prices AND issuing a VAT invoice AND stating in their T&C's that the buyer is the importer of the goods.

But I haven't been stung and I am confident that I won't be. Try googling to see if you can find anyone who has been!!
I'm pretty sure that I've read about it happening to someone buying from Panamoz, but Panamoz immediately refunded the customer. Of course, I could have my wires crossed but I have definitely read about someone buying grey and getting stung but then reimbursed. With the wording from HDEW it is a get out of jail free card for the once in a blue moon that it happens.

Of course it's up to Snerkler as we where he buys from and obviously he will want a hassle free purchase. I can only go on my own experience with HDEW and I admit to being a little nervous when placing my first order. The fact that I could order online and arrange to collect from their UK office and only had to pay a £100 deposit over the phone certainly made the purchase decision easy for me. I had previously checked out their terms and noticed the importer clause but to me the cost savings outweighed any potential risk.

Three orders later, without any problems and with proper Vat receipts that I can use to reclaim the vat through my business I wouldnt hesitate to use them again and will be doing so shortly.

Of course it's up to Snerkler as we where he buys from and obviously he will want a hassle free purchase. I can only go on my own experience with HDEW and I admit to being a little nervous when placing my first order. The fact that I could order online and arrange to collect from their UK office and only had to pay a £100 deposit over the phone certainly made the purchase decision easy for me. I had previously checked out their terms and noticed the importer clause but to me the cost savings outweighed any potential risk.

Three orders later, without any problems and with proper Vat receipts that I can use to reclaim the vat through my business I wouldnt hesitate to use them again and will be doing so shortly.
TBH I wouldn't have any issue ordering from HDEW, I've heard nothing but good things about them. A lot of the time wording like this is just to cover themselves and can read worse than it is.

A lot of the time wording like this is just to cover themselves and can read worse than it is.

Cover themselves from what, if it's all 'above board' and sold with VAT?

Cover themselves from what, if it's all 'above board' and sold with VAT?
From paying duties.I don't profess to understand all the legal jargon and disclaimers though and sometimes misinterpret them. But from the wording I read it as though if you are one of the unlucky ones that doesn't make it through without duty then you will be the one that has to pay it, not HDEW.

Last edited:
TBH I wouldn't have any issue ordering from HDEW, I've heard nothing but good things about them. A lot of the time wording like this is just to cover themselves and can read worse than it is.

Had no probs with them at all. When i ordered a D610 from them it got left outside my house from DPD (i didn't ask them to leave it anywhere) and they sent me another one with no question asked.

Back