D500

Yes, the 16-80 is excellent, the extra reach works for me. Unless you need constant 2.8...

Any thoughts on either a 17-55 or 16-80mm or other come to it for this body?
I've sold off a lot of gear and kept my d500 and 200-500mm as that's what i use but for walkabout / general family stuff?
I do have the 35mm dx and can't seem to see past the nikon lenses above...

The 16-80 is a fine lens but it is expensive. I’m trading one to WEX as no one will pay as much as they are offering!!

@tom24 the 17-55 is a tank of a lens. It was my main walkabout lens on my D300 but I tend to use the 35 1.8 more now for a lighter although more restrictive package but also carry my little Fuji x10 for back up.

Any thoughts on either a 17-55 or 16-80mm or other come to it for this body?
I've sold off a lot of gear and kept my d500 and 200-500mm as that's what i use but for walkabout / general family stuff?
I do have the 35mm dx and can't seem to see past the nikon lenses above...

Got both of them and they're both good. The 17-55mm is my workhorse lens and I find the AF slightly quicker but it is quite big and heavy. The 16-80mm is a great walkabout lens I use on non-working days.

GC

You can pick up a used 17-55 cheaper than the 16-80. Agree it’s a beast but also very nice. will depend on your needs.

Thanks all, i guess the 35mm will do for a wee while but i will pick up a 17-55mm in time and that should do me.
I've certainly found that there's no point in me spending a lot on smaller focal lengths , the 200-500 mm is the one in constant use.

well i am having a little setup of the camera :)
i have set it to GRP on AF-C and BBF
any tips on menu options ?
mainly i do BIF stationary also.

well i am having a little setup of the camera :)
i have set it to GRP on AF-C and BBF
any tips on menu options ?
mainly i do BIF stationary also.

Use the Custom Options to programme buttons for alternative focus points, e.g. Pv to single-point ... makes it very flexible.

I have battery info and Auto ISO on My Menu with My Menu allocated to Fn2. Also have AF options set to single and GRP only so just 2 x options, saves cycling through them all. I know I could allocate this to a function button but don't like having to hold in too many buttons in an action scenario.

Centre button on main rear 4 way selector dial set to 1:1 (100%) view selection.

GC

1 quick question please :)
my siggy 150-600 i had tweaked the focus ie front and back focus settings on the dock for my D7200
should i reset it all for the D500 ?

1 quick question please :)
my siggy 150-600 i had tweaked the focus ie front and back focus settings on the dock for my D7200
should i reset it all for the D500 ?

Try it first, but I suspect you’ll need to retweak.

Sorry guys I have left the crowd... Was nice to own this camera but I have decided to go back FF yup a sony A7iii wow what a camera

Andrew. What lenses have you chosen ?

Sorry guys I have left the crowd... Was nice to own this camera but I have decided to go back FF yup a sony A7iii wow what a camera

You’ll no doubt miss the blazing fast AF system of the D500 ;)

if you use video on the d500 can you get a single picture from the recording? if so how many mp will it be ?
i don't have any video editing programmes are there any free good ones or not ?

I must be doing something massively wrong because I just don't see the massive "never misses AF" of the d500.
I have tried many settings, none make a difference. At Dunsfold on Friday, I changed the blocked response at every point either end of the spectrum - no difference. I've tried af-c release or focus, none made a difference

So ( excuse my French ) WTF am I doing wrong ? Everyone says "oooh, once it locks it never lets go ". Meh.

My thinking appears to be the same as m43 - this system locks with high shutter speeds, but slow it down and it goes to pot.

maybe your camera focus needs calibrated by nikon service centre or maybe you should try calibrating your lens to the body first
i get very very few that are not sharp as a tack
try turning the blocked response off

Blocked response is off but as I as shooting through a crowd, I expected a change in settings to make a difference to AF acquisition but not that I could see.

I suspect many of my issues are due to handheld shots with zooms and slow SS - a disaster in any manufacturers books. You can’t beat physics I guess

just had a quick play with the siggy 150-600 on the D500 its back focusing quite a bit so going to have to calibrate it :(

Last edited:
Blocked response is off but as I as shooting through a crowd, I expected a change in settings to make a difference to AF acquisition but not that I could see.

I suspect many of my issues are due to handheld shots with zooms and slow SS - a disaster in any manufacturers books. You can’t beat physics I guess

have you watched in the viewfinder to see if the green dot appears to confirm focus ?
have you tried to set camera to only release the shutter when focus has been confirmed ?

if you use video on the d500 can you get a single picture from the recording? if so how many mp will it be ?
i don't have any video editing programmes are there any free good ones or not ?

Im sure i read it was 8mp stills.

Andrew. What lenses have you chosen ?

Its says this in his sig. Im not Sherlock Holmes by any stretch of the imagination but i will take a wild guess and says this is his setup.

"Sony A7iii | Sony 24-70mm F4 | Sony 85mm 1.8 | Sony 70-200mm F4"

I've recently purchased the D500, and need a QXD card reader (was told that it would go into the SD card slot on my Mac) any ideas where I could get one, Wex are sold out and Jessops no longer have them?

thanks for any advice

have you watched in the viewfinder to see if the green dot appears to confirm focus ?
have you tried to set camera to only release the shutter when focus has been confirmed ?

TBH, I struggle to see the colour change in the viewfinder

The focus square is red on mine - I doesn't change to green

Last edited:
TBH, I struggle to see the colour change in the viewfinder

The focus square is red on mine - I doesn't change to green
The focus confirmation dot is at the bottom of the viewfinder with the Shutter Speed, Aperture, etc. The focus points don't change colour, just show you which points you have chosen, or if using them all, which the camera used to focus.

Its says this in his sig. Im not Sherlock Holmes by any stretch of the imagination but i will take a wild guess and says this is his setup.

"Sony A7iii | Sony 24-70mm F4 | Sony 85mm 1.8 | Sony 70-200mm F4"

Ah!! Really must turn my phone into Landscape mode now and then.

He’s not been seen here since he said goodbye!! We changed the locks !!
Have followed some of the recent ‘baunter’ over on the Sony thread and it’s not surprising he did a runner.
People with tiny cameras shouldn’t throw stones!

I've recently purchased the D500, and need a QXD card reader (was told that it would go into the SD card slot on my Mac) any ideas where I could get one, Wex are sold out and Jessops no longer have them?

thanks for any advice
I've go this one ordered.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BV2V77K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, if you need a qxd card, these people were the cheapest I could find and give excellent service -

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sony-xqd-cards.674463/

Back