D500

He’s not been seen here since he said goodbye!! We changed the locks !!
Have followed some of the recent ‘baunter’ over on the Sony thread and it’s not surprising he did a runner.
People with tiny cameras shouldn’t throw stones!

What was the banter? I like some gossip!!

OK. I'll admit to be getting GAS for the Sony A73
took the D500 out today with Tammy 17-50 2.8
Love this camera, it's plenty versatile enough..

Brody by Trevor, on Flickr

Hi folks looking for some help & advice

I bought a D500 a few days ago to work along side my D4, im a pro motocross tog. This weekend i used it in anger at a race meeting and although it did produce some very nice images i found a great deal of them where soft and a bit warm or muddy. I did use the auto fin tune and found it was the same with or without dialing in the adjustment. Was using it with my 70-200 VR2 and exif can be seen if you click the pics and can also view at full size. The images this weekend where mostly way behind the crispness i get from my D4, im hoping i can get the d500 performing so i trust it when working as currently i dont feel confident with it.

Shooting MX you will always get some OOF images but there are a lot like the sample bellow. Maybe im just being a bit paranoid and chimping a lot more as its a new body

1st pic is straight out the camera jpeg highest res
DSC_2187 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

second is also straight out the camera at 100 percent crop
DSC_2187-2 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

3rd is at 100 percent crop and sharpened mid way on the lightroom slider to 75 and nothing else
DSC_2187-3 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

This is one of the better images of the weekend straight out the camera
DSC_0806 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

Lastly above image with basic editing in lightroom

Last edited:
try shooting raw allows more adjustment
i notice you blowing the whites in your shots watch your histogram

I bought a D500 a few days ago to work along side my D4, im a pro motocross tog. This weekend i used it in anger at a race meeting and although it did produce some very nice images i found a great deal of them where soft and a bit warm or muddy. I did use the auto fin tune and found it was the same with or without dialing in the adjustment. Was using it with my 70-200 VR2 and exif can be seen if you click the pics and can also view at full size. The images this weekend where mostly way behind the crispness i get from my D4, im hoping i can get the d500 performing so i trust it when working as currently i dont feel confident with it.

Shooting MX you will always get some OOF images but there are a lot like the sample bellow. Maybe im just being a bit paranoid and chimping a lot more as its a new body

3rd is at 100 percent crop and sharpened mid way on the lightroom slider to 75 and nothing else

I'm on holiday and my laptop has decided to not let me connect to the Internet, so can't really see the problems with your pic, however what focus mode were you using, I assume continuous, but what grouping? Have you set it for release and focus or focus and release?

It has been many years since I was able to have a go at shooting MX, and that was with a D300S, and that kept the focus pretty well. I would expect the D500 to be a lot better.

Thanks im shooting AF-C single point focus and matrix with release set to focus, i mostly shoot jpeg as im an event tog working at MX meetings with onsite printing so its very much shoot and burn. Above shots where taken whilst working. I just wondered if others had had similar issues..

I might just be being a bit paranoid as ive since shot some more and been mostly been ok, this is one i shot while testing yesterday which seems pretty good, I did salso hoot some low contrast subjects in flat light and it struggled with those...

DSC_2310-Edit by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

Last edited:

The shutter speed is to slow at 1250th second.That is what is wrong with the first shot. The second shot the bike is not moving across and is comming head on.

Thanks - would've been better but I was saddled with a 50mm as my son stole my 35 :mad:

Try setting to release then focus; perhaps the first couple of pics in a burst may be out of focus but the following should be good assuming the rest of your settings are appropriate.

shutter speed is not 250th its 1/1250th

However i have now solved the issue
1250th of a second is 1/1250th. I thought even a pro motocross tog would know that along with the fact the 1250th of a second on a 20mp crop sensor camera is too slow for that type of shot.;)

I am pleased to know you have it sorted now.:)

shutter speed is not 250th its 1/1250th

However i have now solved the issue

Shutter speed debate notwithstanding, what was the problem?

Thanks,

GC

1250th of a second is 1/1250th. I thought even a pro motocross tog would know that along with the fact the 1250th of a second on a 20mp crop sensor camera is too slow for that type of shot.;)

I am pleased to know you have it sorted now.:)

i thought you had put 250th not 1250th hence why i quoted 250th ive not got my glasses on lol, anyway 1250th is plenty fast enough to shoot MX on a crop body. ive shot thousands of images at 800th on a dx body with no issues, it gives a bit of motion in the tyres while still freezing the bike. I was shooting flying geese yesterday at 800th. Maybe only pros can do it then ;)

Last edited:
not really taken any photos recently - i took my youngest to a skatepark yesterday so that he could let of some steam. Thought i'd practice panning but its not easy shooting in a dark warehouse from a viewing gallery. This meant i thought i'd go extreme..not very happy with them but that's the joy of making a decision to shoot at 1/6s and 1/8s generally

prevail
by damianmkv, on Flickr

prevail
by damianmkv, on Flickr

prevail
by damianmkv, on Flickr

prevail
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
not really taken any photos recently - i took my youngest to a skatepark yesterday so that he could let of some steam. Thought i'd practice panning but its not easy shooting in a dark warehouse from a viewing gallery. This meant i thought i'd go extreme..not very happy with them but that's the joy of making a decision to shoot at 1/6s and 1/8s generally

prevail
by damianmkv, on Flickr

prevail
by damianmkv, on Flickr

prevail
by damianmkv, on Flickr

prevail
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Looks like fun. Loving #3

I'm going to buy a D500,can I ask you all where you bought yours and why?
There is a big difference in price at Panamoz and HDEW.
Thanks

Mine was from Panamoz due to price and service. I’d have no issue buying from them again

Bought both of mine from Grays, excellent service.

GC

I too am looking at the D500 and checked prices at Panamoz and HDEW, for me HDEW is the best bet for one simple reason...

...they tell me you get a UK VAT invoice so as a business owner I can reclaim, whereas Panamoz do not supply a VAT invoice.

I too am looking at the D500 and checked prices at Panamoz and HDEW, for me HDEW is the best bet for one simple reason...

...they tell me you get a UK VAT invoice so as a business owner I can reclaim, whereas Panamoz do not supply a VAT invoice.

Ditto
I've had VAT invoices for all equipment purchased from HDEW.

I got mine from Panamoz not long after release. They were not hugely cheaper at the time, but cheap enough for me to get it at least a month earlier than I could of with the price, and they had the stock, which wasn't guaranteed from UK shop at the time. No hesitation to buy from them again from me.

Im sure Ive asked you lot before, but IM going to ask again..... what do I need to cheaply get OCF working with my 500 and SB700 FLASH ?
Ive seen the Yongnuo tx set but I dont know if they will work with these two.....

Harry
what was the problem ?
how did you correct it ?

It started playing up again so I returned it a week ago, i was offered another d500 but i decided to purchase another D4 which is performing brilliantly as expected. Ive checked a few times and its not gone back up for sale on Wex website so maybe they found an issue with it...

Firstly I hope I'm not breaking any conventions introducing myself to the forum in this way, I've been offered a nearly new Nikon AF 180mm F2.8 D IF ED for my D500 which I would probably use for some landscape/open air, motorsport and aviation photography, however I would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has used this combination of lens and body before I part with any hard cash for it.

Many thanks.

Just for the record.....Yongnuo 622N's WILL work fully on a D500, and SB700 in my case....
A lot of the adverts do not list the D500 as compatible, but I bought a pair used and can confirm they work fine......

Firstly I hope I'm not breaking any conventions introducing myself to the forum in this way, I've been offered a nearly new Nikon AF 180mm F2.8 D IF ED for my D500 which I would probably use for some landscape/open air, motorsport and aviation photography, however I would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has used this combination of lens and body before I part with any hard cash for it.

Many thanks.

I’ve never used this lens but from the reports I have read it produces high quality images.
It is a relatively old design and for most of your applications a modern zoom would give you good quality images with much greater flexibility.
I took a 300mm prime to an airshow and found it restrictive. I am planning to purchase a zoom for this season.
On the other hand Paris based professional photographer Benjamin Kanarek sometimes uses this lens for magazine portraits, with outstanding results.

Back