Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2021

I really like how that feels... the light, the tones, the reflections and the way it leads your eyes down river. The perfectly placed/timed bird gives it life.

If I was being picky I might have binned the post sticking out of the water though, as my eye gets stuck on it a little, but it's a tiny thing.
Thanks Nick, I can't disagree but I often am comfortable with "less than perfect" images if I am happy with the mood or feeling that I get from it.

Nice, I like it. Perhaps a little strong on the processing (sharpening?) with some halos starting to creep in, but overall I like the treatment.
Thanks Paul, sometimes I go a little overboard with NIK Effects... :)

Works for me, liking the moody mono.
Thanks David.

A really good sky makes for a great image. Perhaps I find it a tad dark in the bottom right but otherwise looks very mean and moody.
Thanks Helen, you're right but I'm okay with it.

I like the post and the position of the bird. Like the drama too. Nice.
Thanks David.

Lovely shot Bill and the mono processing really suits it.
Thank you Pete.

Nice, like the interest in the sky and the way most of the buildings are framed between the river and the bridge. I do find the post sticking out of the water a little distracting but overall a strong image,
Thanks Steve, I usually don't change anything that is naturally occurring in the scene but in this case I didn't really think that it detracted from the image significantly.

Yep - a nice moody mono.
Thanks Dave.

I really like the “robust” processing on this, it really suits the shot. I agree about possibly losing the post and I’m in two minds whether or not I’d clone out the bird as well (really can’t make my mind up one way or the other on that). Really nice image. Well done :)
Thanks Hadron, one of the reasons I chose this image was the bird. For me it adds to the interest.

I think it could be a Tad lighter, without spoiling that great sky.

Pete
Thanks Pete.

Pair
It's a great dark, moody shot. Good composition and you've even managed to get a bird in there.
Thanks Dominic.

I had trouble with this theme and even considered taking an image of soap film on water to shoehorn in :D.

Luckily I went up to a local lake yesterday (Buntzen Lake) and saw "The Fog"

Feb 22 -FOG.jpg

I had a few other to chose from:

Feb 22 (1 of 1)-4.jpgFeb 22 (1 of 1)-5.jpgFeb 22 (1 of 1)-12.jpgFeb 22 (1 of 1)-16.jpg

Some nice images - I think I would have gone for #4 for the film you were trying to depict. But the one you went with works too.

I think I prefer this one...
However, very nice photos! Lots of choice
Thanks ecniv.

Some nice images - I think I would have gone for #4 for the film you were trying to depict. But the one you went with works too.
Thanks Paul, that was one of my other two prime contenders. It looks like I've added a white vignette but that was how it came out of camera.

Very good. Yep the first one is the foggiest. But I like the boathouse too.
Thanks David.

All excellent. But for me, number 2 is the one that feels the creepiest.
Thanks Kell, that was the other one of the two other prime contenders. I liked the "swampy" feel of that one.

#1's my favourite, both for the film title but also as my favourite from the others. Particularly like the slope of trees and hill with the fog sitting between them.
Thanks Steve, yeah I like how the mist seems to creeping out of the trees.

Hah, as soon as I saw it I thought "great idea". Surprised no one did that!

For me (and this is very much a personal preference thing) when "things" are chopped off like the edges of the book, it doesn't matter if they're not so much a focal part of the image. However I think the intent is for the book to be part of it, and thus would prefer to see all of it, or a closer crop to make it "fluff". The shadow, for example, in the middle pages is quite interesting.

The lighting is interesting and could benefit from being a bit more subdued to suit the relaxed feel of the image.

I think this has the potential to be a great still life, because the idea is there. Just needs a few tweaks for me.

Glass half full was going to be my subject for the theme, but I didn't get round to nailing down my model for this week who was going to hold the glass :)

I really like that you've included a half read book and a half filled glass. Nicely executed and I like that the colour of the book blends well with the wine.

By the way your link on the main thread isn't working. I had to seek you out to find this.

Not sure if you're a coffee fan, but if you are you might enjoy this chap if you haven't come across him before.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb0O2CdPBNi-QqPk5T3gsQ

You're obviously an optimist :)
I like the reflection of the book in the glass, it brings both elements together.

Hah, as soon as I saw it I thought "great idea". Surprised no one did that!

For me (and this is very much a personal preference thing) when "things" are chopped off like the edges of the book, it doesn't matter if they're not so much a focal part of the image. However I think the intent is for the book to be part of it, and thus would prefer to see all of it, or a closer crop to make it "fluff". The shadow, for example, in the middle pages is quite interesting.

The lighting is interesting and could benefit from being a bit more subdued to suit the relaxed feel of the image.

I think this has the potential to be a great still life, because the idea is there. Just needs a few tweaks for me.
Thanks Ian, I fully agree. I kind of did this really quick, basically had the idea and then slapped it all together. Going for a "good enough" rather than a quest for "perfection".

I think it has potential as well just needs some tweaking and some more considered setup.

Yes, those work for me - two for the price of one.
Thanks Paul.

Glass half full was going to be my subject for the theme, but I didn't get round to nailing down my model for this week who was going to hold the glass :)

I really like that you've included a half read book and a half filled glass. Nicely executed and I like that the colour of the book blends well with the wine.

By the way your link on the main thread isn't working. I had to seek you out to find this.

Not sure if you're a coffee fan, but if you are you might enjoy this chap if you haven't come across him before.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb0O2CdPBNi-QqPk5T3gsQ
Thanks Bebop, I think that I've fixed the link now.

That's funny that you've added a link to "St. James", one of my favourite YouTubers!

I really like this one, the colours blend really nicely, I like the fact the book pages have a soft creamy shade and they’re not stark white, very nice indeed.

You need to fix your linky!
Thanks Susie, I think the link is fixed now.

Nice one, stands out well from the BG.
Thanks David.

You're obviously an optimist :)
I like the reflection of the book in the glass, it brings both elements together.
Thanks Helen, I did think of a glass half empty and a half unread...but I thought the way I wrote it rolled of the the tongue better... :D

I think you could have got away with one or the other, but as others have said, 2 for the price of 1 :)
LOL, more is better (sometimes)!

Went out on Saturday night specifically to look for downtown reflections. The one I chose to post was my favourite of the lot but I was really torn between that one and #2. I liked #2 just for the abstract feel of the image.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Nice set of reflections :)

I like the one you chose - strong composition and right on theme.
All strong shots, my favourite would be the car in the puddle but your choice would have been my second.
All good reflective shots Bill, but I do like the car and the night time shot.

Pete
Nice set of reflections :)
Nice set.

The car and the puddle. (y)

Thank you all for your comments. Not just a car but a police car!

I am really liking the IBIS on the Olympus OM1 MKIII, it's allowing me to take sharp exposures at very low shutter speeds (hand held).

All on theme. I really like that last one I think I'd crop the left hand side off - love those colourful reflections! The fact you can still read the 'Pacific Centre' somehow anchors it all.

The one you've chosen for the main thread is also very strong.

I also have that camera and the IBIS is fantastic isn't it?

Heh, I like how I can't really see what's going on in the 2nd one but am still triggered by the chin mask :) I think it's probably the strongest reflection for me. Whilst #1 has the reflection theme, I think a stronger focus on the multi-faceted reflection might have worked better. Those rails get in the way. #2 is far less cluttered and that's why it gets my vote.

Definitely your chosen shot for me. I really like the composition and the multiple reflections.

Reflection
It's #1 for me. Lots of different shapes and curves. The reflection is quite abstract, which I like.

All on theme. I really like that last one I think I'd crop the left hand side off - love those colourful reflections! The fact you can still read the 'Pacific Centre' somehow anchors it all.

The one you've chosen for the main thread is also very strong.

I also have that camera and the IBIS is fantastic isn't it?
Thanks Bebop, I'm loving this camera.
I actually played around a bit with the last shot, I eventually kept the left-hand side in because I felt it "framed" the shot better.

Heh, I like how I can't really see what's going on in the 2nd one but am still triggered by the chin mask :) I think it's probably the strongest reflection for me. Whilst #1 has the reflection theme, I think a stronger focus on the multi-faceted reflection might have worked better. Those rails get in the way. #2 is far less cluttered and that's why it gets my vote.
Thanks Ian, I agree, it has elements that are abstract but has enough that is recognizable that it makes it interesting to me. I tried a couple of different focus points for the one I chose but there was no way to get around the rails and IMO the out-of-focus rails were actually more distracting.

Definitely your chosen shot for me. I really like the composition and the multiple reflections.
Thanks Helen.

Reflection
It's #1 for me. Lots of different shapes and curves. The reflection is quite abstract, which I like.
Thank you Dominic.

I liked the contrast of the lighter path with the darker foliage and the rough, meandering path. Taken at the North 40 dog park, a former military facility that has been converted to a public park. It was the Vancouver Wireless Station (you can find more information here. All of the buildings are gone with just the roadways, going back to nature, remaining. All off-leash for dogs and full of wildlife: eagles, hawks, owls, you name it.

mar 13 (1 of 1).jpgmar 13 (1 of 1)-2.jpgmar 13 (1 of 1)-3.jpg

I like the rough path too - the contrast and also the crack/wiggle in the path to mimic a meandering path. How lovely to have such a wild area to walk in.
Thanks Bebop.

Certainly fits the technique. I expect it’s a smooth taste although the surface doesn’t look very smooth. It looks tasty though.

Looking at the thumbnail, I thought the rings above were steam rising [emoji4]

Back