Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2021

It was a drizzly, wet day in downtown Vancouver but my trusty Oly is weather sealed and the light was great...
The first shot is looking from downtown Vancouver over to North Vancouver with the mountains and low lying clouds.1.jpg2.jpgapr 24 (1 of 1)-2.jpgapr 24 (1 of 2)-2.jpgapr 24 (2 of 2)-6.jpgapr 24 (4 of 9).jpg

Hey Bill.
#1. I feel that it would work better in a 16x10 or 16x9 crop to lose the cloud at the top. it's not adding much if anything, and losing it would focus your view on the foreground and the mountains.
I love the verticals in #4, but I think personally I may have gone with #6 as it works well in a contrasty B&W way.

Hey Bill.
#1. I feel that it would work better in a 16x10 or 16x9 crop to lose the cloud at the top. it's not adding much if anything, and losing it would focus your view on the foreground and the mountains.
I love the verticals in #4, but I think personally I may have gone with #6 as it works well in a contrasty B&W way.
Thanks Negan, I actually played with a panorama of the North Shore (slightly different view) that turned out well. I see what you're saying about the clouds (I changed the colour temperature a little as well):
apr 24 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Thanks so much, I have realised to some of you your pictures you were so creative whereby you used lines and shapes and textures to produce very nice images and that also is a motivation to me thinking out of the box while going out for a shoot .

Is it important to use a tripod ?

Ah rain. I remember when we used to have that in the UK. Nice atmospheric shot of the cloudy mountains.

Hey Bill.
Thanks Negan, I actually played with a panorama of the North Shore (slightly different view) that turned out well. I see what you're saying about the clouds (I changed the colour temperature a little as well):
View attachment 316665
The clouds at the top cropping tool must take place at least 16 by 10 and also the color of the umbrellas foreground forms a good combination with the sheep at the back

Approaching the view using monochrome was also a good idea or B/W.

Out and about
Really like #4, love the different shapes, the curves, the straight edges, the pillars etc.

Thanks so much, I have realised to some of you your pictures you were so creative whereby you used lines and shapes and textures to produce very nice images and that also is a motivation to me thinking out of the box while going out for a shoot .

Is it important to use a tripod ?
Thanks Serame, I try to see the shapes and sometimes try to place them in context and sometimes try to make them more abstract.

I only use a tripod when taking long exposures, maybe 1 or 2 seconds or more. The in-body stabilization of my camera is good enough that I can take anything up to about 1 or 2 seconds and have a sharp image (if I'm careful).

Wow this extended is very nice :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
Thanks Serame.

So many pics and I have too much to say ha ha! Briefly.... love the red of the brollies, liking the yellow and blue balancing in the welly pic. Two very nice B&W architecture pics - probably my faves.
Thanks Bebop, I had a little trouble deciding on what to post but I liked the drama of the clouds in the background and the pops of colour. I was also fortunate enough to have a couple of gentlemen "posing" to add interest.

Ah rain. I remember when we used to have that in the UK. Nice atmospheric shot of the cloudy mountains.
LOL, thanks Martin, no shortage of rain on the "wet-coast" of Canada!

The clouds at the top cropping tool must take place at least 16 by 10 and also the color of the umbrellas foreground forms a good combination with the sheep at the back

Approaching the view using monochrome was also a good idea or B/W.
Thanks Serame.

I like #4 and #6 the best, but glad I'm not in Vancouver.

Pete
Thanks Pete, #4 is of an art installation that I keep going back to because it has such good lines. #6 was a quick, random shot as I crossed Granville Street and noticed the sheen off the wet roadway.

I rather like #4 for the nice curvy composition but I can see why you chose the shot you did.
Thanks Helen!

Out and about
Really like #4, love the different shapes, the curves, the straight edges, the pillars etc.
Thanks Dominic!

Excellently exposed. A simple but effective image.

I have an old lends hood from a MF film camera somewhere that looks likle that. Nice choice.

Very nice, I like that!
Thanks Paul!

I really like the limited colour palette. I'm not sure how you magically suspended it, but it all works well for me. Nicely lit too.
LOL, not suspended, just on a glossy leather portfolio.
Excellently exposed. A simple but effective image.
Thanks Martin.

I have an old lends hood from a MF film camera somewhere that looks likle that. Nice choice.
Thanks Dave, this is my set of step-up rings for my lens filters.

Shapes
That's got a look of real quality.
Thanks Dominic.

Some cracking shots you have put in, the red brollies just make the shot pop so like it.
Shapes plain simple bang on and effective.
Thanks Dave, M4/3's rule!

My morning Aeropress brew is all about numbers: grams of coffee, grind settings, bloom time, brew time, water temperature, ratio of coffee to water, numbers, numbers numbers (but all worth it in the end!).

may 08 (1 of 1)-5.jpg

Ha ha! It's a way of life for some, but it's all a bit alien to me. Is the Aero Press where the water goes? We're tea drinkers and still use leaf tea.

There's lots to look at and I'm guessing you've incorporated everything used in the process. Fun cup there too. A few tricky highlights/reflections, but I'm not sure what you can do about that.

And I thought I was a posh coffee dude with me Dolce Gusto Nesspresso machine :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

A nicely shot shot!

Brilliant, another Aeropress aficionado here :) Really clever idea for the theme. I like how the green of the drinking receptacle injects a nice shot of colour. Top job :)

First thing in the morning it's as much as I can do to find a cup, spoon, milk and some instant coffee.
Couldn't be doing with that faff !
Cool image though. I do like the reflection of the green cup in the display. It adds a second dash of colour.

Numbers
I have no idea how any of that works. Coffee is not my thing, I'll eat coffee ice-cream and coffee cake, but I don't like the drink, weird, I know.
It's a good composition and good for the numbers theme.

Ha ha! It's a way of life for some, but it's all a bit alien to me. Is the Aero Press where the water goes? We're tea drinkers and still use leaf tea.

There's lots to look at and I'm guessing you've incorporated everything used in the process. Fun cup there too. A few tricky highlights/reflections, but I'm not sure what you can do about that.
Thanks Bebop, I drink tea as well (both loose leaf and bagged).
The coffee and water go in the tube where they work their magic and then a plunger is used to push the black gold through the filter and into the cup.

Ahhh I know this coffee process well! Very clever idea!
Thanks Roxanne, one of the best and most forgiving ways to brew a single cup.

That's a clever take on the theme. The digital world we live in now is all 1s and 0s.
Thanks Stan.

And I thought I was a posh coffee dude with me Dolce Gusto Nesspresso machine :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

A nicely shot shot!
Thanks Dave, I admit it, I'm pretty far down that rabbit hole

Brilliant, another Aeropress aficionado here :) Really clever idea for the theme. I like how the green of the drinking receptacle injects a nice shot of colour. Top job :)
Thanks Hadron, good to hear from another "Presshead"! I'm currently enjoying a coffee from the UK roaster, Round Hill Roastery. Really like it a lot.

First thing in the morning it's as much as I can do to find a cup, spoon, milk and some instant coffee.
Couldn't be doing with that faff !
Cool image though. I do like the reflection of the green cup in the display. It adds a second dash of colour.
LOL, thanks Tim! I didn't even notice the reflection.

Numbers
I have no idea how any of that works. Coffee is not my thing, I'll eat coffee ice-cream and coffee cake, but I don't like the drink, weird, I know.
It's a good composition and good for the numbers theme.
Thanks Dominic. I totally get it. It's just not for some people.

A little toy that I liked a lot but didn't survive a fall off a table last year...not sure why I kept it...

May 20 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

It's an odd thing to keep for sure but you have found a use for it. I keep odd pieces of wood and metal and very occasionally some of them come in useful. Good use of DoF.

I note, by the timestamp of your post, you get up very early :D,

Toy
I'm sure you subconsciously kept it, knowing that one day it'll come in handy for one of these themes.
Poor little Mini, although she still seems to be smiling. I like the background being so far away and the dof.

It's an odd thing to keep for sure but you have found a use for it. I keep odd pieces of wood and metal and very occasionally some of them come in useful. Good use of DoF.

I note, by the timestamp of your post, you get up very early :D,
Thanks Martin, not sure what your timestamp is showing. Probably the time difference between the UK and the west coast of Canada. I think that you're 8 hours ahead?

Nice colourful toy shot, poor thing needs help.
Thanks Dave.

That works really well. It looks like there has been an air disaster - poor old Minnie!

You kept it thinking you might glue it all together perhaps?
Thanks Bebop, I don't think it can be saved. It's missing pieces.

Just needs a rescue from Micky, I really like how the the picture been framed (y)
Thanks Simon (it's actually Mickey, not Minnie...)

Toy
I'm sure you subconsciously kept it, knowing that one day it'll come in handy for one of these themes.
Poor little Mini, although she still seems to be smiling. I like the background being so far away and the dof.
Thanks Dominic.

This one provoked a grin. Must have been a long drop. Right on theme and tech.
Not that long a drop, just that the plastic pieces were brittle.
Thanks Helen.

That was funny. Poor Minnie has lost her prop!
Thanks Joan.

Back