DC2Z's 52 2010 - Week 25+26 Beginning (PG8)

Hi Darren - I like your product shot - I think it could be further enhanced by upping the saturation slightly on the left & middle shots so they compete with the strawberry for vibrance.

Phil

That's worked very well Darren - looks like you're having fun with that new macro lens.

I'm undecided between the 2 strawberry shots. Second one definitely looks sharper, but I do really like the angle on the first one. It's a shame that your battery went before you could get the best of both worlds.

4484727912_96882c62c7.jpg

Not sure if this works but I thought of ths idea straight away as soon as I hear the theme was Quad. I quite like it the only thing I don't like is the border but I have no idea how to make my own and this is the only one I had

4484106417_c4b86bebed.jpg
4484757898_f782a0faf4.jpg

These are my reshoot shots for the week 'Play' still not perfect but I'm happier with them then the other shot which was
4408868367_f248e20fbf.jpg

that works well as a quadtych Darren, great imaginative idea, i see what you mean about the border i struggled to create my own but ended up finding one on a magazine disc. You have a good reshoot too, i personally prefer the stack of chips to the fan of cards, I think the stack could be improved by lining the side markings up in a line or diagonal. The fan looks nice and sharp but the stack in front of it could do with being to the right a bit more. A good effort all round this week.

Darren great idea for Quad and well implemented. I can't help on the border... sorry... I prefer the stack of chips for Play reshoot... and whilst the alignment of the borders is nearly right, I have to agree.. it would look better neater.

Candid is just gorgeous! :clap:

Produce - your second version is excellent. (y) I also got a 60mm micro recently and find it great fun.

Quad - I don't normally have a sweet tooth at all but creme eggs :love:... I think I'll have to go and get one tomorrow! The idea is very good and the individual images excellent -- maybe someone can help with the borders.

Allan has a point that it looks slightly top heavy - maybe it would work better as a strip going from untouched egg to crumpled wrapper?

Reshoot - I prefer the first one. It just seems to catch my attention more.

Last edited:
Allan has a point that it looks slightly top heavy - maybe it would work better as a strip going from untouched egg to crumpled wrapper?

I would have prefered the shot if I had a border so they could run from left to right.

That's what I meant. You'll just have to learn how to make your own borders....but don't ask me how. :D

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm creme egg. Like that one ..could be for produce or quad !

as for re-shoot I like the fan of cards

Quad - This is really good. I know what you mean about frames, I spent more time this week googling 'how to divide a picture into 4' than I care to admit.

Reshoot - I'm jealous you had time to do both :( I think my fave is the chips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darren, I like your quad image, the borders give it a more fun look which I think works with the subject.
I like the stack of chips image for reshoot, perhaps the only slight change would be to see the top chip at more of an angle, just to give it a bit more depth rather than being face on IYSWIM.
Iain

The second chemistry shot works better with the uncluttered background.

You can't go wrong with a candid of a child playing although I would have like to see her looking up slightly rather than down.

Glad you managed to get a better stawberry shot to add to what is a great triptych.

Quad very clever and 4 crisp shots, now where are my cream eggs.....slurp

I like the border you have used but agree it would have been better going across in a row of four.

More space around the eggs was my initial thought but also the fingernail marks in the chocolate. I know how difficult it is to avoid though, I love creme eggs :LOL:

A very good take on the theme. I did not do "quad" as I couldn't get the border right so well done (y)

Andy

4511589111_934017d5fb.jpg

I had some good ideas for this week but none of them worked out. So this is my take on 'Shoot'

Once again an tips or advise is always welcome

Quad: What can be bad about Creme Eggs? :D Yummy (apart from bottom right, of course) :)

Seriously, the border's a bit different and apart from being a bit tight on the top two frames, it works. It sort of goes with the demolition process of the egg. :D

Shoot: Lovely colours (is that blue sky :eek::eek::eek:). It looks very spring-like and my only suggestion would be to blur out the background a little more if possible. Good take on the theme. (y)

Jean

Very nice. Blue sky, a new bud, what could be more uplifting than spring ?
Like the idea, it's pin sharp & there are some wonderfully muted colours. Personal feeling re the DOF is that it's spot on, any more bokeh and you may 'lose' the subject matter in the background.

Bang on I'd say.

Darren, it works for me... On theme, clear and sharp where it needs to be... good colours (y)

Great idea for quad - as has been said already, a simpler border may have worked better, but the one you have is really not bad.
Each individual image is strong and sharp, and although going for consistent sizing might have given more balance to it, it still works well as it is.

Both reshoots for play are loads better than the original.
I absolutely love the stack of chips. Well composed, sharp and nicely lit (y)

Shoot : Works well for me. Very Springlike, beautiful blue sky and nice detail in the shoots.
The one shoot facing directly forward to the camera is a little off-putting, but it's really not a major distraction.

Nicely on theme and a nice shot, agree with sarah that the bud facing the camera is slightly distracting but very nice colours and dof.

Spot on

4518780654_464f600238.jpg

This is my new photo for the theme Street, I personally think this is better than my 1st attemps below.

4314709180_b62ed60706.jpg
4314709294_747962b1ed.jpg

Like the shoot theme, similar ideas to mine. I like the subject and the colours, I agree with Jean that the background could be a little offputting and the bud facing you is a little distracting but neither enough to really distract you from the great pic...

4531596595_889a85d1e0.jpg

Had a few ideas for this one but decided to got for a 'Single' red rose.

nice background colour you chose for the rose, they compliment each other well.. agree, its sharp, well focused and very pretty..

Darren, that works well, excellent background choice and spot on Rose (y)

Quad was a winner for me and really made me smile. Nice idea and one of the best quadtych's I've seen for that topic. :clap:

The rose for Single is very nice. Great DoF and a good choice of background. Works very well.

Ian.

4544312056_bd331dd96b.jpg

Not very creative of me this week but this is my attempt at stare. Looking back the right handside isn't very well lit.
This could be one to re-take later on.

It's not that bad...

It does look like you took a shot of your face then cropped it though. Although you have a range of tones from Black to white, there is a predominant grey wash over the final image. Looks like natural light? For an "impact" shot like that (just a pair of eyes) I'd be expecting a bit more contrast. Maybe try a harsher light to get some serious shadows going on?

Just an idea though.

Ian.

It's not that bad...

It does look like you took a shot of your face then cropped it though. Although you have a range of tones from Black to white, there is a predominant grey wash over the final image. Looks like natural light? For an "impact" shot like that (just a pair of eyes) I'd be expecting a bit more contrast. Maybe try a harsher light to get some serious shadows going on?

Just an idea though.

Ian.

Thank you for the tips, I shall try what you suggested

I agree with both the above. It is nearly there - a reflector, a bit more contrast and a border is all it needs.

I like the idea. I attempted somthing similar but couldn't get it nearly as good so ditched it! Just a bit dark on the right as you said yourself.

4568210805_887e1876af.jpg

This week I can a clear idea what I wanted...however it didn't plan out right.
Not really happy with this shot.
BUT we keep going and I'm really enjoying challenging myself and trying things I wouldn't normally do

Quite a colourful image this one, personally i would tighten the crop and get rid of the foreground and the trees at the top, just a sort of pano of the middle section with a border top and bottom. What were you aiming to achieve that you didn't get?

What were you aiming to achieve that you didn't get?

For me, it's a lack of subject that's missing here. I've gone back through the last few pages here Darren, and when you have a subject, or a clear idea in mind (the rose, the poker chip for example) you turn in a wonderful shot.

If you have the chance to go back, maybe try and get in closer to a particular grave and looks for some detail that you do have an eye for (as evinced in your other shots) with some OOF background interest.

It's one of the things I've found difficult in this 52. Take a picture that fits the theme (which this does), but make it interesting. Sometimes, I spend too long scratching my head...

Hope this doesn't downheart you too much. You have some grand shots in this thread, and I'd really like to see a reshoot.

Keep it up!

(y)

Ian.

Back