weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Hi DK

Great holiday snaps. (y)

I love your pano stitch job, rich colour. Shame about the FG fence, that's not normally there is it?

And those people on the stairs. wow.

I don't think I could choose a favorite DK because I love them all. The square certainly does look Vast, but the ceiling in the Vatican is stunning shot at that angle. The Coliseum, I think you've done really well to get so much of it in the photo, fascinating place isn't it, we felt it had the most amazing atmosphere when we were there. The hot air balloon so simple but I love it.

Super staircase too :)

[/QUOTE]

That would make a belting long exposure to get the people to Ghost like Alexey Titarenko's work....superb photographer.

Cheers.

short.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I do like the unedited version of the stairs also the ceiling pic is pretty Impressive looks like you had a superb holiday

Hi DK

Great holiday snaps. (y)
Thanks David :)

I love your pano stitch job, rich colour. Shame about the FG fence, that's not normally there is it?
I have no idea mate, I wanted to crop it out but the building would be too long... no consideration for photographers these Italians :D

And those people on the stairs. wow.
Yeah a never ending stream, when at the Colosseum with our guide we asked about visitors there, she said they get circa 10,000 per day, but the Vatican gets double that, 20,000 footfall a day is mind boggling for me :O

I'd definitely try a tilt, shift with the staircase. Just my opinion but nice shot. Really like the ballon for vast
Thanks Chris, nice idea the TS :) :thinking:

I don't think I could choose a favorite DK because I love them all.
Aweeeee thanks Susie :)

The square certainly does look Vast, but the ceiling in the Vatican is stunning shot at that angle.
Thank you again, there were lots of choices, I took plenty of shots but had no idea which was going to work well :)

The Coliseum, I think you've done really well to get so much of it in the photo, fascinating place isn't it, we felt it had the most amazing atmosphere when we were there. The hot air balloon so simple but I love it.
Yeah we love it there, a teriffic atmosphere, we were even lucky enough that we chose the day when they had the streets closed off and had a parade of dressed up re-enactment stuff going on, some great characters, but not very photography friendly due to the crowds, but great to see :)

Super staircase too :)
Annnnnd thanks too... did you visit the Vatican on your visit ??

That would make a belting long exposure to get the people to Ghost like Alexey Titarenko's work....superb photographer.

Cheers.

short.jpg
Oooo andy what a GREAT idea, typical I have left now, would have loved to have tried that !!!

Hi, I do like the unedited version of the stairs also the ceiling pic is pretty Impressive looks like you had a superb holiday
I sure did, well we did I should say, thanks Allan :)

Vast - My pick would be the colosseum. I think it’s a really gorgeous shot and definitely conveys a sense of vastness! Since you mentioned it’s not the best of views, I did a quick Google image search to see what you meant, and I’d definitely pick yours over the ones out there (if that's what you meant)! I like that you’ve shot it from a lower point of view, which makes the curves and lines of the walls form a more interesting and intricate pattern.

Rough - Another gorgeous shot, looks perfectly composed to me. A bit mesmerising to look at!

Vast - My pick would be the colosseum. I think it’s a really gorgeous shot and definitely conveys a sense of vastness! Since you mentioned it’s not the best of views, I did a quick Google image search to see what you meant, and I’d definitely pick yours over the ones out there (if that's what you meant)! I like that you’ve shot it from a lower point of view, which makes the curves and lines of the walls form a more interesting and intricate pattern.
Thank you very much Sheylara :)

Rough - Another gorgeous shot, looks perfectly composed to me. A bit mesmerising to look at!
Thanks again :)

Right... a lovely weekend weather-wise, today I have been out trying to catch up on my photo's...

Here is my first one, I went out for a couple of hours with my daughter looking for a shot for covered, and after a couple of hours of walking on one of the local sea-fronts (looking for people sheltering from the heat) and not finding anything that I felt had anything of interest, I decided to take a shot of my daughter in the garden when we got home... so here we have, Jasmine covered in our flower covered arch, with her eyes covered from the sun, and her arms slowly getting covered in tattoos... sort of :D

Wk 18 - Covered

Wk 18 - Covered by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
And onto this weeks to get me up to date photo wise... again!!!

Not the most exciting, and again may re-shoot this one, but this will do for the moment... Local seaside, colourful tat :)

Wk 19 - Colourful

Wk 19 - Colourful by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely done, the rose arch and dappled light on the grass really compliment your lovely daughter.

BTW your link in the "Post your images here" thread isn't working.

<edit> crossed with your colourful post, which certainly is colourful!

Last edited:
Covered, loving the ink :)

Works really well. Crit, just Jasmine's wrists being cut off.

Overall, nice light, well composed and nice detail.

Colourful, on theme. Think I'd like them all in focus. Can't beat seaside tat :)

Cheers.

Nicely done, the rose arch and dappled light on the grass really compliment your lovely daughter.
Thanks Chris :)
BTW your link in the "Post your images here" thread isn't working.
Oooo thanks again... Fixed :)

<edit> crossed with your colourful post, which certainly is colourful!
Haaa just you just hate that when it happens :D

Beautifully modelled for Covered and very nicely taken compositionally. Love the ink ... plus the reflection in the shades.
Very Colourful indeed - wish they were whizzing around to give movement too.

Covered, loving the ink :)
Me too... it's getting there slowly :)
Works really well. Crit, just Jasmine's wrists being cut off.
Yeah I know :( I took loads but for some odd reason I got her posed correctly slight side on looking back into the camera, but somehow her body facing out of the frame, I didn't notice until editing then it was too late :(

Anyway, this was the best pose, a bit too straight on for my liking and as you rightly say chopped hands, I did think about cropping more but wanted to keep the tats in :D

Overall, nice light, well composed and nice detail.

Colourful, on theme. Think I'd like them all in focus. Can't beat seaside tat :)

Cheers.
You sure cant beat it, thanks Andy :)

Well... I picked the narrow DoF to try and lose the people and crap behind them, I was hoping to have enough to see a bit of the beach/sea... but nope it didn't work and as rightly said the f4 wasn't enough to get much in focus :)

Beautifully modelled for Covered and very nicely taken compositionally. Love the ink ... plus the reflection in the shades.
Thanks Carl :)

It wasn't until I started editing that I noticed I was in 75% of the shots... I really was not paying attention today :D
Very Colourful indeed - wish they were whizzing around to give movement too.
Yes, now that would have been nice, amazingly there was very little wind so they were all still, thinking back, I should have purchased one and put it in the sand, I would have got the image I was after :)

Hi Dean, you have some really tremendous images here :clap:

Your first stitched pano is brilliant (y) You've done really well (and I assume it's a bit of good old fashioned hard graft) to get the verticals properly vertical throughout. Well done - a great and engaging image!
Second vast is also a good'un - lovely subject but I'm not sure the POV works quite as feel for me here? Still a great shot, but slightly less of the wow factor than the first.
Colliseum is good but it doesn't really feel round enough, so loses something for me there?
The balloon is fine, but I feel the shots have pretty much been posted in order of "wow-ness" and I just can get past the first one :)

Rough works, and it's a classic "must shoot" composition but it feels as if the bright skylight dominates too much and detracts from the great stairwell. I much prefer the shot looking down, even though it's far more "ordinary"... I love @posiview 's idea though - that'd be brilliant!

Covered - that's a beautiful image and a great capture of your daughter. Very odd juxtaposition of the pretty arch, very glamorous model and then ... erm... tattoos! Are they added in post, perhaps?

Colourful works well - it's quite busy and I wonder if getting them blurred in motion would make for an even stronger image? Good shot though.

Well done!

Colourful tat indeed as you say there is so much going on behind you have done well with the DoF to lose it all and now I am off to rest my eyes :wideyed:

Agree with Allan, good use of hte frame and then shallowish DoF on the shot of your daughter. I assumed the tattoos were the 'covered' in the shot.
Great vibrant colours in colourful and an interesting choice of subject. A good spot.

Hi Dean, you have some really tremendous images here :clap:
Thanks Paul :)

Your first stitched pano is brilliant (y) You've done really well (and I assume it's a bit of good old fashioned hard graft) to get the verticals properly vertical throughout. Well done - a great and engaging image!
LR did the stitching, I just tried to adjust the uprights a bit more with Horizontal and vertical sliders to get the best combination, the centre seemed okay on my left hand monitor that I have lightroom on, but on my right hand one it does look miles out... I need to angle them towards me more :D
Second vast is also a good'un - lovely subject but I'm not sure the POV works quite as feel for me here? Still a great shot, but slightly less of the wow factor than the first.
Haaa ... well you see the PoV is above the heads of hundreds of people in the corridor, the shot looked messy with any heads in, so I tried to exploit the ceiling converging with the walls at the bottom :)
Colliseum is good but it doesn't really feel round enough, so loses something for me there?
Agree mate, not round at all, but have no idea how to cure that, I think the lens used may not have helped ??
The balloon is fine, but I feel the shots have pretty much been posted in order of "wow-ness" and I just can get past the first one :)
Cheers Paul :)

Rough works, and it's a classic "must shoot" composition but it feels as if the bright skylight dominates too much and detracts from the great stairwell. I much prefer the shot looking down, even though it's far more "ordinary"... I love @posiview 's idea though - that'd be brilliant!
Both good points mate... But I will not be going back as my 'To visit' list is getting HUGE, so if you have not been, please do and get the shot for me :D
Covered - that's a beautiful image and a great capture of your daughter. Very odd juxtaposition of the pretty arch, very glamorous model and then ... erm... tattoos! Are they added in post, perhaps?
Ha Haaa now Jazzy would be very pleased with your comment but also a tad upset, as they are real, it's just work in progress :)

Colourful works well - it's quite busy and I wonder if getting them blurred in motion would make for an even stronger image? Good shot though.
Yes very busy, I do feel I should have maybe brought one to get swirly movement in a gust of wind... or blowing on them :)

Well done!
Cheers :)

Colourful tat indeed as you say there is so much going on behind you have done well with the DoF to lose it all and now I am off to rest my eyes :wideyed:
Ha haaaaa yes mate agreed :D

Agree with Allan, good use of hte frame and then shallowish DoF on the shot of your daughter. I assumed the tattoos were the 'covered' in the shot.
Thanks Tim... yes the DoF was picked to try and keep the flowers and Arch in focus adding some framing, not via the f-stop but by being in closer and using the zoom less, as at full zoom and moving in the f2.8 is way too narrow :)

Yes the tattoos were the mian 'covered' element, I was tempted to crop in more, but much of them is outline and yet to be filled in with dots :)

Great vibrant colours in colourful and an interesting choice of subject. A good spot.
Cheers again Tim :)

Oops sorry Dean! It was the fact everything looked so serene and "classical" I just assumed you'd added them in as a counterpoint with some masterful photoshop trickery... Fair play though - they're mighty fine works in progress even though I can't say I'm a massive tat fan myself!

Great image for Covered Dean really like the DOF and composition.

Nice bright image for Colourful lots of colour in that. The DOF works really like and I like the reflections in the windmills

Covered, She's a very pretty girl Dean (are you sure she's yours? :p)
Lovely portrait but I think on reflection I'd have preferred a full length image.

Colourful, ah yes I remember those :D
clever idea and it fits the theme (y)

Lovely portrait but I think on reflection I'd have preferred a full length image.

..........pppfftttt........... ahem...... compose......covered... I first thought archway..... but hardly tats do fit theme too...and yes..full length would be ideal ;) ...

..but I'm confused by ur numbering... week 17 becomes week 18 in the photo..and same again for the next week...

Colourful is very that... though u could have gone in close on the tats I wonder ;)

Hi DK

Really like the tattoo angle for Covered but I find the flower-covered arch - as lovely as it is - and the inclusion of shades - for theme purposes - a bit OTT. How about one of Jasmine arm wrestling? :D ... Anyway, still a lovely image.

Colourful ... it doesn't get much more colourful than that. :)

Oops sorry Dean! It was the fact everything looked so serene and "classical" I just assumed you'd added them in as a counterpoint with some masterful photoshop trickery... Fair play though - they're mighty fine works in progress even though I can't say I'm a massive tat fan myself!
Hahaaaa no worries mate, no offence taked :)

Hi DK super shot of your daughter for covered .....there's such a lovely light on it.
Thanks Susie :)

Love those windmills for colourful but I think I agree with Andy, a full on, in focus shot would work well too. I'm always tempted by brightly stacked buckets and spades and can never resist taking a photo :)
Me too... they normally look like tat too :D

Great image for Covered Dean really like the DOF and composition.
Thanks Mark :)

Nice bright image for Colourful lots of colour in that. The DOF works really like and I like the reflections in the windmills
Thanks again :)

Now how did I guess that would come from you :LOL:
Hmmmmm not sure if I did one to be honest :thinking:

What do you mean... remember, I bet you still have one :D

..........pppfftttt........... ahem...... compose......covered... I first thought archway..... but hardly tats do fit theme too...and yes..full length would be ideal ;) ...
Haaaaaa ;P

..but I'm confused by ur numbering... week 17 becomes week 18 in the photo..and same again for the next week...
Don't know what you mean :whistle:

Colourful is very that... though u could have gone in close on the tats I wonder ;)
lol :LOL:

Hey :)

Really like the tattoo angle for Covered but I find the flower-covered arch - as lovely as it is - and the inclusion of shades - for theme purposes - a bit OTT. How about one of Jasmine arm wrestling? :D ... Anyway, still a lovely image.
Eating Spinage to by any chance :D

Colourful ... it doesn't get much more colourful than that. :)
Oh yes... was hoping the glaring colour would hide the lack of depth :D

Well... lovely morning today out with my camera, visited a couple of ruins with my daughter on the way to dropping her off at her car, I stopped at several places to get an 'Entrance' image and there was soooooo many options, Sorry but I have 3 here as I like them all for different reasons :)

As usual I am not expecting comments on all of them but would love you to pick your favorite of them - Thanks :)

Wk 20 - Entrance

Firstly I like this one because it is soo simple but very effective I think, I was lucky enough to have a chat with the warden at the entrance of Norwich Cathedral, when he saw me taking pictures of this door, he offered to unlock it for me which to me has made a massive difference to the feel :)

Wk 20 - Entrance by TP DK, on Flickr

Next up is another From the Cathedral Grounds, I like this because of the street lamp and the general symmetrical look of this cloister entrance...

Wk 20 - Entrance 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

And last of all, this entrance is not good, but it is the writing on this multi-storey carpark that just outstands me, no idea who done this (but it did stop it getting demolished) but it is very unusual !!!

Entrance 3 - Writing on the wall by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks All :)

I agree with your analysis, #1 is the better photo but #3 has so much potential, I'm going with #3

I can relate to your dilemma Dean; Nice though the architecture is and the position of the streetlamp in #2, my fave lies between the other two. The multi-storey is very unusual and a work of art to my mind; the words "Grant me an easy death" on the platform adds to the mystery of the meaning and purpose of the art. It's certainly a very interesting image - just the brickwork with the writing would make a very fine abstract. Anyway, that means for me #1 takes pride of place for Entrance. It has lovely lighting, a mix of textures, age and the open door lends an air of mystery. Great set Dean. :clap:

Hi, number one makes more sense as an image for the theme, I do like the open door adds a bit of intrique but number 3 is quite fascinating and impressive

#1 - Good shot DK. That must have been a bugger to frame / straighten with none of the verticals or horizontals being parrallel with each other.
Glad you kept it in colour, some may have been tempted to go B&W, but keeping the colours of the wood & wall works well :)

#3 - OMG!

Morning, last one has potential but I'm not keen on the crop. Portrait orientation to remove some of the RHS and include all the spiral stairway would work for me.

#1 for me. Has a tilt shift feel to it. I keep expecting someone to jump out and got, "BOO!".

Cheers.

... really liking the simplicity and effectiveness of the open door. Perfect for the theme.

Yay !!! Got the mobile version working that is readable for me
I agree with your analysis, #1 is the better photo but #3 has so much potential, I'm going with #3
Ahhhh cool choice, thanks Chris

I can relate to your dilemma Dean; Nice though the architecture is and the position of the streetlamp in #2, my fave lies between the other two. The multi-storey is very unusual and a work of art to my mind; the words "Grant me an easy death" on the platform adds to the mystery of the meaning and purpose of the art. It's certainly a very interesting image - just the brickwork with the writing would make a very fine abstract. Anyway, that means for me #1 takes pride of place for Entrance. It has lovely lighting, a mix of textures, age and the open door lends an air of mystery. Great set Dean. :clap:
Thanks Carl, yes the multi-storey has lots of potential, just not great for this theme :LOL:

think Iwill visit it again one day and take a pair of steps... Thanks again

Hi, number one makes more sense as an image for the theme, I do like the open door adds a bit of intrique but number 3 is quite fascinating and impressive
Cheers Allan :) The place is sure big and the effort taken is impressive, I'll add some wide shots to the thread later, as the guy even wrote around/over guttering, windows and soffits !!!

#1 - Good shot DK. That must have been a bugger to frame / straighten with none of the verticals or horizontals being parrallel with each other.
Glad you kept it in colour, some may have been tempted to go B&W, but keeping the colours of the wood & wall works well :)

#3 - OMG!
Cheers Tim :) yes it was actually, as this is in a small drive through area, a lovely vaulted ceiling, and to be honest Iwas trying to include thatas well, I captured it okay, but on editing it distracted too much, and the plain wall and door worked best Ithink :)

Morning, last one has potential but I'm not keen on the crop. Portrait orientation to remove some of the RHS and include all the spiral stairway would work for me.
Cheers Andy I did try that as a crop but the base is a tad boring, I tried to include more of the writing to add a bit of scale, but wheremaybe that wasn't the best idea, will try a re crop on Tuesday when back hopefully :)

#1 for me. Has a tilt shift feel to it. I keep expecting someone to jump out and got, "BOO!".

Cheers.
Hahaaa yes mate, fingers around the edge of the door too :D

... really liking the simplicity and effectiveness of the open door. Perfect for the theme.
Cheers David... simple is good and that is what i hope makes it work :)

Hi Dean, #1 is definitely the most appropriate for the 52 theme but the last one is intriguing and therefore far more compelling as an image for me. A portrait crop of the entrance and stairwell would be even more powerful IMHO but great spots and well delivered for this week's theme (y)

Back