Dom's 52 for 2019 - Week 19 "Decay"

Above
I tried to get a shot with the rapeseed in for above, but didn't manage it.
You've got a good shot there, I think you could give it another stop of exposure though.

Great above shot. Really love the contrast in colours to this, plus the telephone lines cutting through it to give a different edge to it

I'm hoping to catch a few images like this myself over the bank holiday weekend

Nice catch up.
FOOD - Not sure I would eat that soup myself, but the photo is great!
SMOOTH - Wonderful idea for smooth. The exposure creating the smoothness! Cool!
ABOVE - I like the overall composition in this one, along with the contrasts and the positioning of the telephone lines.

Food is a cool image I have the P20 and it sticks out good images. Smooth LP is another good shot and colourful too. Above is a very nice shot with good composition and a nice moody looking sky as well.

Thanks Dave. My Huawei makes a good back up when I don't have the Fuji to hand.

Above
I tried to get a shot with the rapeseed in for above, but didn't manage it.
You've got a good shot there, I think you could give it another stop of exposure though.

Thanks Dominic. I did have a more exposed version, i might revisit this in lightroom later.

Great above shot. Really love the contrast in colours to this, plus the telephone lines cutting through it to give a different edge to it

I'm hoping to catch a few images like this myself over the bank holiday weekend

Thanks Ian, worth venturing out into the fields for sure. Hopefully the weather is good for everyone.

Nice catch up.
FOOD - Not sure I would eat that soup myself, but the photo is great!
SMOOTH - Wonderful idea for smooth. The exposure creating the smoothness! Cool!
ABOVE - I like the overall composition in this one, along with the contrasts and the positioning of the telephone lines.

Thanks Bob.

Great images Dom, well done catching up too!(y)
Food: I like the colours and warmth of this image, and for SOOC it's jolly good - nice DoF too!
Smooth: Stunning image! Brilliant colours and great use of long exposure to smooth out the record....dare I say....it's groovy!!:giggle:
Above: This has a real 'summery' feel....wonderful warmth and mood, and the lines work really well. Composition is spot on. Very nice indeed!
:clap:

I like your above shot though it could do with a bit of a lift.
Smooth works very well, a nice image indeed.

Great images Dom, well done catching up too!(y)
Food: I like the colours and warmth of this image, and for SOOC it's jolly good - nice DoF too!
Smooth: Stunning image! Brilliant colours and great use of long exposure to smooth out the record....dare I say....it's groovy!!:giggle:
Above: This has a real 'summery' feel....wonderful warmth and mood, and the lines work really well. Composition is spot on. Very nice indeed!
:clap:
Thanks Gareth!

I like your above shot though it could do with a bit of a lift.
Smooth works very well, a nice image indeed.

Thanks Allan.

Here's a slight re edit. I think I still prefer the first as moody and gloomy was the feel I was going for. Out of curiosity, what brightness do people have their monitors/laptops/iMacs to when you are post processing? Got mine at 50% to try and get an unbiased view of an image.

Flickr

32689387857_1f69247760_k.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dom some smashing shots here on your thread, the stand out ones for me are:

WET I just love this one, the colour tones the softness, everything about it, it should be hanging on a wall.

FREE That's a very unique image, perfectly positioned in the frame.

SMOOTH The colour of the disc is fabulous, the only niggle for me are the white specks on the black, but that's just my OCD, they don't detract from it being such an eye catching shot.

ABOVE Must admit I prefer the brighter shot, I just think that the rape seed oil is such a stunning colour its a shame not to show it off, Perfect angle with the telephone lines and poles, spot on for the theme.

I think computer screens are a nightmare, I tend to work on my main computer, then check it on my ipad, then on my phone, and every one looks different :runaway:

Hi Dom,

Smooth - What a great photo. Nice and simple but such a good composition, exposure and choice of vinyl. Cracking shot :clap:
Above - The second shot for me I think. Lovely colours in the Rapeseed (my mid 2010 iMac 27" is at half way on brightness).

Hi Dom some smashing shots here on your thread, the stand out ones for me are:

WET I just love this one, the colour tones the softness, everything about it, it should be hanging on a wall.

FREE That's a very unique image, perfectly positioned in the frame.

SMOOTH The colour of the disc is fabulous, the only niggle for me are the white specks on the black, but that's just my OCD, they don't detract from it being such an eye catching shot.

ABOVE Must admit I prefer the brighter shot, I just think that the rape seed oil is such a stunning colour its a shame not to show it off, Perfect angle with the telephone lines and poles, spot on for the theme.

I think computer screens are a nightmare, I tend to work on my main computer, then check it on my ipad, then on my phone, and every one looks different :runaway:

Thanks Susie. Yes I nearly didn't post it because of the dust! It was a test shot and thought I'd get a a better one later but it was the best in the end.

Hi Dom,

Smooth - What a great photo. Nice and simple but such a good composition, exposure and choice of vinyl. Cracking shot :clap:
Above - The second shot for me I think. Lovely colours in the Rapeseed (my mid 2010 iMac 27" is at half way on brightness).

Thanks Lee.

Week 16 - Hot Candle on the Mantle

The bank holiday was a scorcher and was hoping for some inspiration to jump out, but I have been distracted playing with my newly acquired Canonet QL17Giii 35mm film camera. Hoping to use it for some film entries this year. So I decided to set this up at home on the mantle piece using the Fuji X-T20. Its a birthday candle in front of a black background. Shot at 1/30th and then processed to really emphasise the black. Really happy with the result for an improvised idea.

40724154473_e0b16024a0_k.jpg

Flickr

Last edited:
I really like this too Dom. Love the central framing, detail in the flame and wick and also the slight shadow at the base of the candle

Hot
Very well done, I would have maybe tried to light up the candle a bit more, to show a bit more of the blue colour.

That`s a great image for hot, love the colours in the whole image and a nice flame too so great job done Dom.

Thanks Dave.

Hi Dom, Hot - like the shadows and the detail at the bottom of the wick

Thanks Chris.

Hot
Very well done, I would have maybe tried to light up the candle a bit more, to show a bit more of the blue colour.

Thanks Dominic.

Great colours, and perfectly exposed too.
You've captured some excellent detail in the flame.
Love it!(y)

Thanks Gareth.

Week 17 - Light

Took a trip to Bristol last Friday with @Carl Hall to try street photography. Lots of subjects to chose from, my entry this week being an abstract view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Purposefully out of focus and shot at F2 to get the lights to blur and highlight the bridge. I had planned to do one from the vantage point further up. Unfortunately the weather took a turn for the worse and the viewing point is on a cliff face so as my fuji isn't weather sealed we called it a day.

47751226241_fe96ab9a27_k.jpg

Flickr

Also attached are a couple of runners up.

46961959654_2a31fe640e_k.jpg
46961959284_e21a933f1c_k.jpg

Last edited:
Soon as I saw this Dom I knew exactly what it was. Great composition! Worked in Bristol for years but never got round to take a few pics. Cracking image !

Nice image of the bridge, its different which is a good thing (y)

Hi Dom, I really like the candle, perfect choice in the black background and square composition, very effective.

Thats a different choice for the bridge, I like the OOF idea and it shows the lights well, it just makes me keep thinking 'have I put my contact lenses in' :)

Hi Dom, a quick catch-up from me as I'm almost up to date in my thread. Well done on your own catch-up and a set of colourful and on-theme images; Food makes good use of shallow DOF to draw the eye straight to the colourful soup while still hinting at the food and drinks around it on the table, Smooth is excellent with the long exposure effect on that great coloured record and I like the off-centre composition, while the tracks in the field of Rapeseed work well with the overhead lines to lead the gaze towards the horizon. I prefer the brighter yellow in the second version but the moody sky in the first... :)

You captured some great colours in the flame for Hot, and the deliberately OOF and well-lit bridge is an original idea for Light. All three images work well for different reasons but I like your first choice as it's unusual :clap:

HOT - a fine image, effective composition. Nicely done.
LIGHT - the idea for the lights on the bridge is great. A good take on the theme.

Soon as I saw this Dom I knew exactly what it was. Great composition! Worked in Bristol for years but never got round to take a few pics. Cracking image !

Thanks Chris, I do like Bristol.

Nice image of the bridge, its different which is a good thing (y)

Thanks Allan.

Hi Dom, I really like the candle, perfect choice in the black background and square composition, very effective.

Thats a different choice for the bridge, I like the OOF idea and it shows the lights well, it just makes me keep thinking 'have I put my contact lenses in' :)

Thanks Susie. Yeah, it does make you wait to see if it will load clearer!

I really like the concept for your bridge image Dom, and it works so well!
The 'runner-ups' are very decent too, but I can't tear my gaze away from the bridge....it's so hypnotic....in a good way!
Great work Dom!:clap:

Thanks Gareth.

Hi Dom, a quick catch-up from me as I'm almost up to date in my thread. Well done on your own catch-up and a set of colourful and on-theme images; Food makes good use of shallow DOF to draw the eye straight to the colourful soup while still hinting at the food and drinks around it on the table, Smooth is excellent with the long exposure effect on that great coloured record and I like the off-centre composition, while the tracks in the field of Rapeseed work well with the overhead lines to lead the gaze towards the horizon. I prefer the brighter yellow in the second version but the moody sky in the first... :)

You captured some great colours in the flame for Hot, and the deliberately OOF and well-lit bridge is an original idea for Light. All three images work well for different reasons but I like your first choice as it's unusual :clap:

Thanks Andrea.

HOT - a fine image, effective composition. Nicely done.
LIGHT - the idea for the lights on the bridge is great. A good take on the theme.

Thanks Bob.

Thanks all for looking! :)

Week 18 - Crowd

Took a trip to Clevedon Pier to get a seascape photo as I hadn't shot one in ages. Got there to find a lot of other people had the same idea! Conditions were great, sky was clear although a little boring but great light, Tide was right in..... Then I discover I had forgotten to bring my tripod mount. A bit disappointed I headed back to the car, but caught this shot of the crowded beach before I left. Not the photo I was after but perfect for the theme so better then coming home with nothing!

33913761648_45bb7b356a_k.jpg

Flickr

Shame about the tripod Dom, but it’s nice with the reflection of the evening sunset ! Fits the theme with the crowd of people watching.

Shame about the tripod Dom, but it’s nice with the reflection of the evening sunset ! Fits the theme with the crowd of people watching.
Thanks Chris.

Great composition....the pier is perfectly placed to draw your eye towards the hills far in the distance.
Fantastic light, and fits the theme nicely!
Nice work Dom!(y)
Thanks Gareth.

Very nicely done. I think for no tripod, that's a great image, plus you've got the crowd to tick the box. Looks a lovely pier

Hi Dom

I think that is possibly a better photo with the crowd in it than just a sunset on its own. Leadin lines work well.

Pete

It might not have been what you where after but I think it works, looks good to me

Back