Dom's 52 for 2019 - Week 19 "Decay"

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Apologies for not getting back individually, not sure where the week has gone!

Week 5 - #1 Waiting For A Train & #2 The Waiting Room

After a weekend of procrastinating I popped to the local train station on Monday evening in an attempt to find people waiting or a sign. Not taken a photo of a stranger before so it was a bit daunting even though he was facing the other way. Was nice to have to go looking for a subject though. Decided to make it quite a black image and made use of the station lighting to illuminate the man. Feel like I say it every week, but glad I did the 52!

Second image is more for fun, loosely fitting the theme.

DSCF8133-4.JPG

DSCF8141-2.JPG

Nice lighting on the submitted shot, I like that a lot :)

Really like the b&w image, love the composition and the b@w conversation.

Hi Dom

Clean, decent enough Image, well exposed, nice colours, but you need to sack your cleaners with the muck around the overflow (C4's four in a bed mode now off)

Open, fits the theme, but with lots of details I would like for more of it to be in focus.

Distant, good take on the theme, and well organised and taken Image. Have a look at Focus Stacking to get more in focus.

Cold, I like this one, the monochrome theme with the added colours works very well.

Waiting, B&W Image is really very good, fits the theme perfectly. The colour one while good does not reflect the theme, apart from having to wait for the next train.

Pete

I love the mood of the first image....so very well processed and your use of the available lighting is fab!
Excellent work Dom.
The second image is top notch too....love a good long exposure/light trail.
Fits the theme and is well executed.
Both are great images, with a marvellous factor of five stars!(y)

Well done for going out to hunt down your image, Dom, and for returning with two good ones. I like the dark and mysterious nature of #1, with the strong contrasts and the person very small in the frame but clearly there, and #2 has great colours and motion. The first is probably the best fit for the theme but I like both a lot (y)

Two images both on theme. The first makes me think of a detective type scene...very mysterious looking photo. well lit and composed.

I'm torn between the two.

Love the first, has so much atmosphere and perfect for theme, but the second too, with the motion of the train giving the sense of movement, yet the eye is also drawn to the 'waiting room' sign

Nice lighting on the submitted shot, I like that a lot :)
Hi Rick, thanks for looking and for the comment.

Really like the b&w image, love the composition and the b@w conversation.
Thanks Ian.

Very 'noir'. The pp really emphasises the darkness.
Thanks Tim, that's exactly what I was going for with this one.

The black and white shot is superb nothing else to say
Thanks Allan.

The first is excellent. Lighting/composition spot on.
Thanks Bob.

Hi Dom

Clean, decent enough Image, well exposed, nice colours, but you need to sack your cleaners with the muck around the overflow (C4's four in a bed mode now off)

Open, fits the theme, but with lots of details I would like for more of it to be in focus.

Distant, good take on the theme, and well organised and taken Image. Have a look at Focus Stacking to get more in focus.

Cold, I like this one, the monochrome theme with the added colours works very well.

Waiting, B&W Image is really very good, fits the theme perfectly. The colour one while good does not reflect the theme, apart from having to wait for the next train.

Pete
Thanks for looking Pete and for the comments.

Both good shots but the 1st is a cracking image and very well taken, great lighting to show the bloke waiting.
Thanks Dave.

I love the mood of the first image....so very well processed and your use of the available lighting is fab!
Excellent work Dom.
The second image is top notch too....love a good long exposure/light trail.
Fits the theme and is well executed.
Both are great images, with a marvellous factor of five stars!(y)
Thanks Gareth!

The darkness just adds a little something to me. The station lighting is spot on.
Thanks Chris.

Well done for going out to hunt down your image, Dom, and for returning with two good ones. I like the dark and mysterious nature of #1, with the strong contrasts and the person very small in the frame but clearly there, and #2 has great colours and motion. The first is probably the best fit for the theme but I like both a lot (y)
Thanks Andrea.

Two images both on theme. The first makes me think of a detective type scene...very mysterious looking photo. well lit and composed.
Thanks Mandy, definitely the vibe I was gong for.

I'm torn between the two.

Love the first, has so much atmosphere and perfect for theme, but the second too, with the motion of the train giving the sense of movement, yet the eye is also drawn to the 'waiting room' sign
Thanks Ian. I'm the same, I like both images.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Week 7 - Rough old back doors.

My back doors are a bit rough & in need of some tlc! Chose this composition to make the most of the sky in the reflection of the glass. Colour looked ok, but the Fuji Acros film simulation convinced me to go mono. I then processed the image myself in LR to get the exact tones I wanted.

DSCF8163.JPG

Flickr

Last edited:
Nice idea (y) you need to do a bit of work on that door, fits the theme for me

Good idea for the theme. Like the angle you have taken this at. Cloud gives the impression of a rough day as well.

Good shot, and a good to include the reflection. Just the top left corner, but I imagine unavoidable given the angle.

Waiting the b&w is very good but I do like no2 I’m afraid I am torn between the 2.

Rough yes they are the poor doors have definitely seen better days nice take on the theme.

Very nice composition and mono treatment.
As others have said the reflections of the clouds is very well implemented and draws the eye nicely.
As for the doors....they are rough for sure, so they fit the theme perfectly....do you need any sandpaper?!;)
Nice work Dom(y)

Nice and rough Dom. Well done

And get those doors sorted or you won't be allowed to go out ad play next week ;)

When you've finished with those doors, I've got some woodwork at the bottom of my porch that needs some attention too ;)
Works nicely for the theme and the choice of acros does enhance it well.

Very nice shot for rough Dom, think you did right having it in Acros as it goes very well. You got some work to do on that to get it up to scratch, a good shot and well done.
Nice idea (y) you need to do a bit of work on that door, fits the theme for me
Good idea for the theme. Like the angle you have taken this at. Cloud gives the impression of a rough day as well.
Good shot, and a good to include the reflection. Just the top left corner, but I imagine unavoidable given the angle.
Waiting the b&w is very good but I do like no2 I’m afraid I am torn between the 2.

Rough yes they are the poor doors have definitely seen better days nice take on the theme.
Very nice composition and mono treatment.
As others have said the reflections of the clouds is very well implemented and draws the eye nicely.
As for the doors....they are rough for sure, so they fit the theme perfectly....do you need any sandpaper?!;)
Nice work Dom(y)
Well, they're just perfect for the theme, Dom! I agree B&W is the right choice to bring out the textures of the wood and peeling paint, and the inclusion of the reflection adds some extra interest (y)
The doors are spot on for the theme, I think you have processed the image just about right.
Nice and rough Dom. Well done

And get those doors sorted or you won't be allowed to go out ad play next week ;)
Hi Dom. Good shot for rough. As others have said, works very well with the work you have done on it and it's perfect for the theme.
When you've finished with those doors, I've got some woodwork at the bottom of my porch that needs some attention too ;)
Works nicely for the theme and the choice of acros does enhance it well.

Thanks everyone. I have my work cut out for me sorting that out. I decided to procrastinate this weekend and have fun getting another image for the 52 instead!

Week 8 - Object

My Object-ive was to neaten the hedge in the surprising warm February weather! I originally was going to post a colour version, but @Carl Hall convinced me to make the most of the last week for the black and white technique.

DSCF8172-2.jpg

Flickr

As a gardener that is an interesting serrated blade on your loppers although slightly over-engineered for that twig!! Lovely range of tones though!

Very nice image with tons of detail, but not too busy.
Your B&W treatment has worked well, and the shadows on the blades are great.
And your twig placement technique is perfect!;)
As a non-gardener, I have no idea what they are, but as Joan says....they look well made!!:giggle:
Great work Dom!(y)

As a gardener that is an interesting serrated blade on your loppers although slightly over-engineered for that twig!! Lovely range of tones though!
Thanks Joan. Yes I think they are branch cutters, completely the wrong tool for trimming a hedge, but I wanted to give them a try :).

Very nice image with tons of detail, but not too busy.
Your B&W treatment has worked well, and the shadows on the blades are great.
And your twig placement technique is perfect!;)
As a non-gardener, I have no idea what they are, but as Joan says....they look well made!!:giggle:
Great work Dom!(y)
Thanks Gareth, I think they are branch cutters, but i'm none the wiser. Gardening is as new as photography for me!

Very nice tones and lighting is great in this image, goes very nicely in mono too.
Thanks Dave.

I like the B&W, that Carl guy must be clever :LOL: I like the angle and the symmetry of the tool
Thanks Carl.

Looks like quite harsh light. The B&W edit has made good use of it.
Thanks Tim.

The symmetry works well (as Carl mentioned) and the mono suits this image.
Thanks Bob.

Well done for getting a mono image in - it suits the light that you had on the day. I suspect the twig didn't stand a chance! :D
Thanks Lee, it certainly didn't!

Week 9 - Wet - SooC.

If you take a walk along the old pier at Swanage you will get very wet! I shot this with a 1:1 aspect ratio in the X-T20 so I wouldn't need to crop later. I decided to head to Swanage for a seascape after seeing great images of the old pier. I got there 20 mins before sunset and struggled to get the composition I wanted due to the new pier being shut for the day. But its not a wasted trip as long as you walk away with at least one image? Definitely will be revisiting in the future.

30 Second Exposure, F4, ISO200 with Gobe ND1000 filter.

DSCF8184.JPG

Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Dom, welcome to the 52 I`m sure you will get better with each image you take. On your rabbit shot I would of had it bang in the middle, but as you are learning well done and welcome to Fuji. If I can find my old X-T20 TIPS and TRICKS book you can have it.

AH it was you, if you PM me in the next week or so I will post the book to you as it might help you out a bit.

Ah yes I remember you did offer. Thanks Dave i'll take you up on that. I'll send you PM. (y)

Back