weekly DrRusty's 52 Challenge Week 6 - Mineral

No.1 for me too Richard (y) more interest in the first with the 2nd, as said, being a little too busy :)

H, #1 for me. #2 is a tad busy. Nice detail in #1 but I suspect you could pull a bit mor out with some processing.

Cheers.
No 1 is great good detail and patterns
Number one smoke image for me.
Number one for me too ...really nice ...and I like the black and white...very effective :)
No.1 for me too Richard (y) more interest in the first with the 2nd, as said, being a little too busy :)

Thank you all

I played with some PP to make the smoke bold but probably not got the very best settings. This was by far the best focused of the images and certianly an interesting shape. Might play with colourising the smoke at some point but need to read up on how to do this.

Asked the supplier of the fireworks about getting some more of the "puff the magic dragons" but they are based in Suffolk and postage isn't an option due to cost :-(

For me the interest is in the bottom half of the photo, which is unfortunately just a bit soft, as you can distinguish between the different crystals.

For me the interest is in the bottom half of the photo, which is unfortunately just a bit soft, as you can distinguish between the different crystals.

I was using a narrow apature and flash to extend the DOF but using a macro lens (sudo one that is an old Nikon 28-105 mm AF-D) the DOF always gets narrowed. I was picking a central point to focus and maybe I should have chosen a front edge of the piled salt and accepted the fall off of focus but obtained a sharp foreground ? One to think about but I still think it works.

Yes, very difficult theme this week. I found it difficult to get any originality from it and ended up taking pictures of a mineral bottle and some of a stone. You have gone for crystals. Roll on next theme.

Like the crystals, but it looks a little flat - perhaps a bit more contrast? Also compositionally would like to see the totality of the pile, rather than having bit cut off.

for me, either the whole pile, or a frame filling crop.

Fits the theme for me, but the image does not excite me sadly and as mentioned the front bit where there's som interest it's a bit on the soft side.
Like the crystals, but it looks a little flat - perhaps a bit more contrast? Also compositionally would like to see the totality of the pile, rather than having bit cut off.
for me, either the whole pile, or a frame filling crop.
It's a pile of salt, the whole pile would have looked better in my view, fits the theme :)

It is a bit dull on reflection, not sure if I have the energy or an idea for a different photograph for this week. I'll probably just put this one down to experience and wait until Friday for a more interesting theme.

It is a bit dull on reflection, not sure if I have the energy or an idea for a different photograph for this week. I'll probably just put this one down to experience and wait until Friday for a more interesting theme.

Sums it up I think. Some weeks better just to get on with it. The main thing is to post something and learn from the experience so well done for that (y)

Unfortunitly I have to agree with other regarding the focus point being off, on the plus side you held the exposure well, not always easy with so many things the same colour

Hi Richard :)

Not bad mate... I tried photographing rock salt in a similar pile last year, GOD I made a hash of it, yours is nicely lit with some good detail to the bottom (y)

Thank you, i had given up on this photo as a completely lost cause. I intentionally underexposed using a ring flash on a macro lens. As it was flash I could handhold but kept the apature small. Then tweeked the raw in PSE abd a slight crop.

I should have gone with focusing on the front of the pile and not hoped the small apature would pull it all into focus.

Hi ya

a big (y) from me for your smoke images...given the grief I went through to get mine I can't offer crit

Mineral.....yup , it is , post & be dammed & move on to the next week (y)

Well, the smoke is smokey - can't get very excited about it anymore ;)

I tried doing this on a white background - dis-ass-terrr :LOL: This is so much better, how did you light it and keep the background black?

Well, the smoke is smokey - can't get very excited about it anymore ;)

I tried doing this on a white background - dis-ass-terrr :LOL: This is so much better, how did you light it and keep the background black?

I had seen people make a snoot for the flash from black cardboard. This narrowed and directed the flash beam towards the reflector opposite and kept it off the background. There is a setup photo on my flickr page. I will have to try this again as I think I could do better.

I had seen people make a snoot for the flash from black cardboard. This narrowed and directed the flash beam towards the reflector opposite and kept it off the background. There is a setup photo on my flickr page. I will have to try this again as I think I could do better.

Ahh cool I can't get my flash off camera yet needs an injection of capital :(

Looks like every things already been said:), certainly a good contrast between the crystals and black bg (y)

I gave decided to not continue with the 52 as I have too many other things to do at the momment.

Back