weekly DrRusty's 52 Challenge Week 6 - Mineral

Hi Richard

original take on the theme , crit's been covered....now you've said what it is I can see it properly.....:)

Hi Richard.....A great experimental idea....Unfortunealy it does'nt work for me. Just too dark to register any detials in the shadow. If you had more time then perhaps a blend of multiple exposures could be used

I'm really trying to learn how to do this as I took a number of photos with the camera in light. I juat haven't figured out masks and layers. PS really is a change for me this time around as I have a reasonable laptop and PSElements10. I'm figuring light room is on the cards this year as well.

I'm really trying to learn how to do this as I took a number of photos with the camera in light. I juat haven't figured out masks and layers. PS really is a change for me this time around as I have a reasonable laptop and PSElements10. I'm figuring light room is on the cards this year as well.

Like with everything....playing around and practise is the name of the game....just got myself a subscription to photoshop creative magazine to try get more creative with use of PS.

Keep up the good work

Hi Richard, although you think you have lost your way this week thats a very good photo,
nice B+W and the reflections of the sticks is great

Nice reflections, nice DOF and nice composition and conversion - nothing not to like really.

I know what you mean about ideas that you can't make happen - hada few like that myself.

B&W works well here - doesn;t look like a cop-out by any means...

You didn't try any with a bit of movement blur, like from a drum roll? Or would that have just looked "blurred"?

I know what you mean about ideas that you can't make happen - hada few like that myself.

B&W works well here - doesn;t look like a cop-out by any means...

You didn't try any with a bit of movement blur, like from a drum roll? Or would that have just looked "blurred"?

Thank You :) I thought about some movement but I was photographing blind (I was in front of the camera with the snare - remote tiggered with mouth!!) Getting focus was tricky and linning up the shot. In the end I resorted to putting my eye-fi card in the camera and watching the photo transfer to my laptop screen. I then would move, confirm focus and try again. A bit hit and miss approach. This one was closest to my mental picture of the photograph. I intend on trying the blur photo but it was late and would be noisy.

Nice mono conversion. Even the curve of the silver edge of the drum (there's probably a technical term for it) nicely adds to the image. As said, nice reflections.

Nice mono conversion. Even the curve of the silver edge of the drum (there's probably a technical term for it) nicely adds to the image. As said, nice reflections.

"Hoop" it was important to get part of the hoop in the frame otherwise there was no indication it is actually a drum. Thank You.

That's a lovely shot with the reflection of the drumsticks and the dynamic angle of the drum. Minor crit: the flare and OOF drum edge stops my eyes focussing on the sticks.

That's a lovely shot with the reflection of the drumsticks and the dynamic angle of the drum. Minor crit: the flare and OOF drum edge stops my eyes focussing on the sticks.

Thank you. I guess I could have knocked the brightness of the flare down a bit. Had to use a bounced flash off the ceiling in the end as the room was too dark to achieve a fast enough shutter speed to remove any blur caused by me moving. The flash was then caught/reflected by the the chrome hoops.

Good Stuff Rich...Reflections, bokeh and bold use of black and white...Whats not to like....Really well handled!! :)

Thank you, 50 mm f1.8 or 2.8 iirc either way narrow DOF and the best Bokeh I can get from my current lenses.

good job! :clap:
really like the reflections

Thank you I'd almost replaced the rather battered old top skin for a matt white one sometime ago. However, managed to purchase the wrong skin so was left with the gloss black. I don't think it would have worked so well with a white skin. Really need to learn to play it and use it :)

Don't know about loosing your way, looks a good effort to me! Suits the b&w perfectly.
Nice one!

The b/w works really well, just the right amount of reflection and the focus on the tips of the sticks is spot on.

Sometimes we take a photo and aren't quite happy with it for whatever reason so reluctantly post it and it turns out it's nowhere near as bad as we thought.

The b/w works really well, just the right amount of reflection and the focus on the tips of the sticks is spot on.

Sometimes we take a photo and aren't quite happy with it for whatever reason so reluctantly post it and it turns out it's nowhere near as bad as we thought.

Thank you - I'm my worst critic !

Don't know about loosing your way, looks a good effort to me! Suits the b&w perfectly.
Nice one!

Thank You, I guess loosing my way was really as this wasn't my intended photo, which just didn't work. This was a rush to get something done.

Reflections have been mentioned and I like them. Good idea and on theme. I might like a bit of movement in the sticks.

Cheers.

I was struggling to ensure focus on the sticks as the setup wasn't ideal with me infront of the camera carrying the drum on a sling and then remotely triggering the camera. All a bit hit and miss but I got a workable photograph. I have in my mind a photo of moving sticks and tried that in 2012 but couldn't get it to work back then either.

Week 3 - Close (EDIT)
by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Edited Version - with shadow (now not sure about the choice of smoke or blending but getting better)

Week 3 - Close
by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

A CLOSE Encounter...

I must be mad, why can't I just take a picture without making it all far too complicated (I'm going to try that next week :confused:) This end up being three separate images merged. I admitting that as no doubt you will spot the poor masking but I really am a novice at PP (PS Elements), it is really tricky. However, aside form that I think this is not far off my intention and a bit of fun. my Lego minifigure was bound to feature sooner or later. Now he has been whisked away by aliens he might be around for a while :(.

Oh this looks worst than I first thought, I might have a go at blending the layers a bit more to stop it look quite so bad. OH and put his shadow back in !!!! grrrr

Last edited:
Like this!
Like all your shots actually! I can't really critique them as such as they're just so much better than mine.
I like your creativity very much

Hi Richard
Play - good image with impact. Good focus and nice conversion to b&w. Reflections really add to it
Close - needs the title to make the connection to the theme. Good conception and well handled generally. There are a few minor issues and you have mentioned the shadow but also there are the strange lines on the ground. But overall well done , the model itself is very well lit and the coolurs are vibrant

Hi Richard
Play - good image with impact. Good focus and nice conversion to b&w. Reflections really add to it
Close - needs the title to make the connection to the theme. Good conception and well handled generally. There are a few minor issues and you have mentioned the shadow but also there are the strange lines on the ground. But overall well done , the model itself is very well lit and the coolurs are vibrant

Thank you.

Um... A Close (Encounter of the third kind) alien abduction etc...

I must be mad, why can't I just take a picture without making it all far too complicated

I know how you feel :)

It's good to push the boundaries and try different idea and processing.

You've done well here. Bit of humour is always welcome.

I'd like to see it with a shadow as you mention.

Cheers.

Back