DSLR Boot Camp Thread: discussion and posting

Thanks mate. Will try that.

I was wondering if the wee SLR Gorilla Pods are any good but they look to be relatively expensive for the proper ones. Will have a look about and see what I can find. Might get a chance to get out for some pics this weekend.

Last edited:
Hello guys, sorry to be a pain... but what exactly is the homework (still waiting on my magazine), just been to Tesco's to see if I could sneak a look but its in a packet :(

I am off to Scotland this weekend, so if its landscape, I may be able to get a nice pic this weekend :D

Hello guys, sorry to be a pain... but what exactly is the homework (still waiting on my magazine), just been to Tesco's to see if I could sneak a look but its in a packet :(

I am off to Scotland this weekend, so if its landscape, I may be able to get a nice pic this weekend :D

Quote from mag
"This month we’d like you to shoot a simple landscape photo that incorporates at least one compositional device. Use the rule of thirds as a starting point and include lead in lines, foreground interest or both if you’re feeling adventurous."

did you watch the video moo moo

Quote from mag
"This month we’d like you to shoot a simple landscape photo that incorporates at least one compositional device. Use the rule of thirds as a starting point and include lead in lines, foreground interest or both if you’re feeling adventurous."

Thank you :D

did you watch the video moo moo

I have tried to, but it wont play on my work comp... is it good??

just asking because it will give you an idea of what they are expecting

I am off to the Lakes tomorrow so I am hoping to get some decent landscapes for this month, picked up my mag today and pleased to report that the vids run well this month...

I was wondering if anyone had recieved any comments on their module 1 entries. Obviously there were a lot of photos submitted. However I thought if you got in early you'd get some feedback. Or had I missread that bit....wouldn't be the first time

Love that they've reprint last month's intro paragraph about exposure on this month's focusing module. :thinking: Very poor indeed.

SouthernSnapper - from what I understand it's only a chosen few that will get any comments/critique (in the form of a video). As such it seems pointless doing the 'homework' if on-one is goig to offer any advice.. where's the personal learning experience in that?

Very disappointed in the 'course' so far

I don't mind that they have reprinted the bit on exposure as it's good to have a short refresher. It saves digging out last months mag what with being of an age when things take a little longer to stick.

Ffoeg said:
Love that they've reprint last month's intro paragraph about exposure on this month's focusing module. :thinking: Very poor indeed.

SouthernSnapper - from what I understand it's only a chosen few that will get any comments/critique (in the form of a video). As such it seems pointless doing the 'homework' if on-one is goig to offer any advice.. where's the personal learning experience in that?

Very disappointed in the 'course' so far

I don't think you can expect too much when the course is FREE. If you want professional critique on all your shots then I think your gonna have to pay for a proper course.

Any critique is good. Doesn't have to be on your on efforts to learn something. Obviously if they used your own its nice, but not necessary. The way I see it, this course gives you a new challenge. Something to put your mind to, and to take the time to think more logically about your desired outcome and how your going to go about achieving it.
Perhaps the first step before enrolling on to an OCS etc., course.

Last edited:
Hi all

anyone from around the Sheffield/Rotherham general South Yorks area doing this Bootcamp ?

I'm struggling BIG time with Landscape , no idea were to go as completely new style of photogrpahy , unless it's got legs or wheels I'm lost:crying:

Any infor on places/sites to visit would be mucj appreciated , or maybe a meet up with someone whose more into Landscapes would be much much appreciated

Heres hoping ,Lynne

gothgirl said:
don't know what i'm going to do, I live in the middle of lots of houses, don't drive and don't have a tripod or live close to anywhere nice really :(

Same here, apart from having a tripod and drive, lol. Was dreading there would be a landscape module, the closest thing I can snap is at a local park, and prob risk getting arrested.

Same here, apart from having a tripod and drive, lol. Was dreading there would be a landscape module, the closest thing I can snap is at a local park, and prob risk getting arrested.

I don't think it's got to be anywhere nice - though that would be a bonus from your point of view- they just want you to understand rule of thirds, sharpness and lead in lines.

Hi all

anyone from around the Sheffield/Rotherham general South Yorks area doing this Bootcamp ?

I'm struggling BIG time with Landscape , no idea were to go as completely new style of photogrpahy , unless it's got legs or wheels I'm lost:crying:

Any infor on places/sites to visit would be mucj appreciated , or maybe a meet up with someone whose more into Landscapes would be much much appreciated

Heres hoping ,Lynne

Lynne,

Isn't there a small park type place on the outskirts of Rotherham on the eastern side of the town? Seem to remember there was something when i was there a few years back.

As far as i'm aware, it doesn't have to be natural, i am sure if there was a building that you liked the look of, you could use that, please correct me if i am wrong though.

I spent a lot of time trying to get something I liked this weekend for the second homework, went to upload it and thought I would have a quick peep at the second module gallery. There are some really good pictures up there. I might have to re-do mine!

My advice is don't look at the gallery. If you have submitted already nice work.

Its now letting you enter module 1 pictures again, when you go to upload it asks which module you are entering your picture into. Just for those (like me) that missed the deadline for whatever reason.

Does anyone know the date of the dateline for module 2 couldn't see it myself?

Taken from the Photo Answers forum

The module 2 homework gallery will be open for submissions on 21/04/11. Please don't rush to upload images because you can only upload one image that cannot be changed.

The deadline for uploads to the module 2 gallery is 12/05/11. The gallery will reopen for further uploads that will not be eligible for critique or a prize. We will make an announcement on the forum when the gallery reopens.

Good luck with the module
James

Yikes. The 12th is next week already!

I got a few pics at the beach where my folks live at the weekend. I think I can use one of those as one or two came out pretty well for my complete rookie standards. Not gonna have time to do any more trips out before the deadline so think that's my lot...

Andy

I think this course is working well by what I'm reading on here, its basically a free course and I think its main aim is just to get you (and me ) to think about each shot more as opposed to just clicking away without thought .

Certainly has made me slow down and think of what I'm doing .

Some great pictures uploaded already

I couldn't get onto the gallery when I tried. Will try again tonight to see what folk have been up to.

Thinking about it, I had no idea what I was doing when I got my SLR, so even though I know that my photos won't be very good in comparison to a lot of the others, they're making me learn and try to understand what I'm doing.

Practice is what I need too.

Hi

Well I've been busy as my DH has been away for 6 weeks. He's just back now and finally I get a minute to think about module two. Only to find I have just FOUR days to read the magazine and locate a suitable subject!!!

Brilliant! I think I'll be taking my camera to work this week!!!

Just found this on the Practical Photography forum.
"Hello everyone

The critique video will be sent out with the next video email on 16th May. We've chosen 10 images to critique. Homework deadlines for you and print deadlines us have made this the earliest date we can get it it to you but fear not, it's on the way.

Kind regards
James"

Regarding the deadline of the 12th, is that 12 midnight on the 12th, I'm cutting it very fine :puke::help:

The 12th? Wow.. I thought I might have more time to take more pictures.. I uploaded
mine to flickr but received no feedback so I totally have no idea if it's even by good.

Been looking at the module 2 gallery. Is it my imagination or are 2 of the images the same photo, i.e. images by MR L and johnww?

johnnypanic said:
Been looking at the module 2 gallery. Is it my imagination or are 2 of the images the same photo, i.e. images by MR L and johnww?

Just had a look and I think your right they're the same!

What's the point in doing this free course, and cheating!

Oh dear, going to miss the deadline :(

Am I right in thinking I can still upload my photo after the deadline, but that I will just not be entered into the prize draw for the Nikon £150 training voucher?

I was very surprised to find this month's mag come through the letterbox this morning.

Homework is gonna be fun for me, as I've never ever considered shooting moving things :thinking:

Ffoeg said:
I was very surprised to find this month's mag come through the letterbox this morning.

Homework is gonna be fun for me, as I've never ever considered shooting moving things :thinking:

I was a bit shocked as well. Thought it must be a mistake at first like they'd sent me an extra copy of last months. Apparently not tho

I thought the first homework was tough the second gave me sleepless nights so god knows about three. Will figure something out.

I feel I have learnt allot from this course already and I am having to really think about the shot. Even though mine can be improved on when I get time I am still happy with what I have done as they are shots I would never have taken on my own.

Back