weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Rough - I like the lighting and way the hairs are highlighted in the glow around the edge

You have emphasised the roughness very well with good use of back lighting, well done.

wooo .... I like that Emma, and thanks for sharing your techniques. (y)

I love the lighting on your rough. A very well thought out and good use of those 30 minutes. Thanks for explaining the lighting as well.

Rough - I like the lighting and way the hairs are highlighted in the glow around the edge

I do like the lighting on this..

You have emphasised the roughness very well with good use of back lighting, well done.

Super choice for the theme Emma ...you've really higlighted the roughness, great texture...the lighting works really well ... it sounds more professional than mine :)

wooo .... I like that Emma, and thanks for sharing your techniques. (y)

I love the lighting on your rough. A very well thought out and good use of those 30 minutes. Thanks for explaining the lighting as well.
Thanks everyone for such positive feedback. It actually looks a bit better to me today with fresh eyes than it did last night :) The hole in cardboard trick was one I read about a while ago and hadn't got round to using - it took a little bit of fiddling, but seems to have come off ok. @susiejb you used a border...seems very technical to me!

That's a really good fit for the theme Emma. Love the backlighting to highlight the hairy, rough, texture of the fruit. Simple and effective. :clap:

I like the image it certainly brings out the texture backlighting works well but I would have tried to keep the light off the BG

Vast - Absolutely beautiful:clap:
Rough - A very well composed shot - the lighting works well and certainly a great take on the theme.

I didn't notice the light on the background until Allan mentioned it, so it obviously doesn't jump out to the untrained eye (though he's right!)
Nothing much I can add to the other comments. Good use of backlighting to highlight the hairs and good job on getting it light brightly enough without blowing anything.

That's a really good fit for the theme Emma. Love the backlighting to highlight the hairy, rough, texture of the fruit. Simple and effective. :clap:

That's a very striking image, you managed the lighting well and it brings out the texture well.

Vast - Absolutely beautiful:clap:
Rough - A very well composed shot - the lighting works well and certainly a great take on the theme.

Simple shot and youve caught the texture nicely.
Thank you everyone. I'm glad my reading lights did the trick :)

I like the image it certainly brings out the texture backlighting works well but I would have tried to keep the light off the BG

I didn't notice the light on the background until Allan mentioned it, so it obviously doesn't jump out to the untrained eye (though he's right!)
Nothing much I can add to the other comments. Good use of backlighting to highlight the hairs and good job on getting it light brightly enough without blowing anything.

Thank you both. Given more time I would have definitely experimented with keeping the light off the bg. I guess I would have had to have had the kiwi much further forward? I need to invest in a bigger piece of black card! It doesn't actually bother me too much in the shot as it is, but I can see why it might have been a better option.

covered - certainly lots on there good Dof and good detail on the central snail.

Great find for covered, I like the way you have picked out the central snail, a very interesting image

Well chosen for the theme Emma. Excellent use of DoF and good lighting and detail on that particular snail. :clap:

You certainly (s)nailed that one Emma :D

Oooo very nice use of light, fuzzy fruit with rim light and such a nice background too, well worth 1/2 hour of messing that shot is, VERY effective Emma (y)

<EDIT> And now your covered image is there... My wife would hate that, what an interesting find/shot, the DoF works well again as does the angle, subject wise I do not think anybody will have a shot like that, nice one :)

Last edited:
Really like your image for Rough the lighting is great.

A great and well seen image for Covered really like the DOF and the fact the stalk comes in form the bottom left corner.

Love the way the middle one stands out against the OOF BG. (y)

Different interpretation of the theme. (y)

Oooo very nice use of light, fuzzy fruit with rim light and such a nice background too, well worth 1/2 hour of messing that shot is, VERY effective Emma (y)

<EDIT> And now your covered image is there... My wife would hate that, what an interesting find/shot, the DoF works well again as does the angle, subject wise I do not think anybody will have a shot like that, nice one :)
Thanks for your very kind words DK! :)

Really like your image for Rough the lighting is great.

A great and well seen image for Covered really like the DOF and the fact the stalk comes in form the bottom left corner.
Thanks Mark - a lucky find (I was getting a bit desperate!)

Love the way the middle one stands out against the OOF BG. (y)

Different interpretation of the theme. (y)

Emma, love the way your eye gets drawn to the middle snail

Very nicely done Emma ...and a smashing idea for the theme :clap:

Have to agree with everyone else nice find and well taken
Thank you everyone for your encouraging words :)

Vast - What a beautiful picture! Really love the highlights on the log (or whatever that is with the moss on it) and the bluebells.

Rough - Amazing shot. I love the lighting on it. The contrasty shadows and highlights, and the backlighting, really work for me, and gorgeous texture. Can you explain what you meant by “a hole cut in card with a reading lamp”? You shone a light at it through a hole in a card?

Covered - A lovely image with nice subject isolation. Makes me wonder what the snail is thinking as it looks out over the plains.

Oh I LOVE that Emma. That lighting is brilliant. Absolutely spot on for me - your use of a second light source at the front at an angle really just works and complements the backlighting which also adds so much interest on the floor.

Genuinely couldn't imagine how to improve this image - I think it is perfect. :clap:

Covered is a good shot and without that kiwi shot would be garnering even more praise from me, but I just keep going back to the kiwi ;)

Vast - What a beautiful picture! Really love the highlights on the log (or whatever that is with the moss on it) and the bluebells.

Rough - Amazing shot. I love the lighting on it. The contrasty shadows and highlights, and the backlighting, really work for me, and gorgeous texture. Can you explain what you meant by “a hole cut in card with a reading lamp”? You shone a light at it through a hole in a card?

Covered - A lovely image with nice subject isolation. Makes me wonder what the snail is thinking as it looks out over the plains.

Thanks for taking so much time to comment Sheylara - and so many kind comments! With the kiwi shot I folded a piece of black card in half, stood the kiwi fruit against the back bit and drew around it. I then cut out a hole slightly smaller than the kiwi and folded the card back the other way so the the pencil marks didn't show. I put the kiwi fruit a little in front of the hole and a reading lamp behind, but found the light was a bit harsh, so softened it with the translucent insert from my reflector. Finally I had another reading lamp to the right pointing away to give a little more light on the right hand side. And then messed about for at least 20 minutes trying to get the right depth of field/focus/amount of light on the right :rolleyes:

Oh I LOVE that Emma. That lighting is brilliant. Absolutely spot on for me - your use of a second light source at the front at an angle really just works and complements the backlighting which also adds so much interest on the floor.

Genuinely couldn't imagine how to improve this image - I think it is perfect. :clap:

Covered is a good shot and without that kiwi shot would be garnering even more praise from me, but I just keep going back to the kiwi ;)
Wow - thanks for such encouraging words Paul. That means a lot coming from you Mr lighting guru ;) Thank you!

So the first is the most colourful bird in our garden, apart from the occasional visit from a greater spotted woodpecker. They really lift my day and are worth their weight in niger seed, which is just as well 'cos it's bloomin' expensive ;)

goldfinch by Em Jay, on Flickr

And the second just for fun. William's choice of wardrobe for breakfast on Saturday really made me laugh given the theme this week - the Beano, mug & bowl just finished it off. William's colourful world :)

colourful williamsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Oooo tough choice Emma... erm... I love the colours of the bird and background, such a nice creamy background at that... but I'm going for the mega colourful William image, he may well regret this photo when he gets older, but for me now I just love that :D

Last edited:
Back