weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Hi Emma :)

Captive - Love this image, quite a dark shot but that's how it needs to be for me, liking your composition and how you have set up the figure looking through the bars, good attention to detail/well thought out (y)

Miniature - Wow, are they really that diddy :) - again like your thoughts on this one, a nicely lit shot too, like it :)

Happy - Ooooo that is nice, not sure on the WB, but the composition and DoF is bang on, love the inclusion of the fire/flames, cracking shot for the theme (y)

Lovely shot, the fire in the background really tells the full story :)

Hi Emma, great composition and warm tones really make the image. I dont blame the cat for being happy snoozing by the fire at all :)

He looks very content there, must be happy, nice use of DoF with the fire in the background.
Cat asleep near the fire, what's not to be happy about?
As already said, nice use of DoF Emma :)
Nice, the inclusion of the fire in the bg makes the image work for me.
Yeah definitely a Happy mood - love the fire in the background
Hi, have to agree with everyone else nice relaxed happy cat
Definitely happy and contented up there by the fire. Spot on for the theme and so nicely taken too. :clap:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I was a bit worried that the dof worked well on the fire, but made the paw with pads a bit distracting, but it seems maybe not - so thank you!

Hi, slight tweak to the white balance is needed, I think, but well composed and I like the inclusion of the fire.

Cheers.
I had real problems with the wb this week. I left it on auto, but it seemed to come out way too cool - I tweaked and retweaked, but looking at it again I think you're right - it's too yellow. Is this better? @Dark Knight

happy2small.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Emma :)

Captive - Love this image, quite a dark shot but that's how it needs to be for me, liking your composition and how you have set up the figure looking through the bars, good attention to detail/well thought out (y)

Miniature - Wow, are they really that diddy :) - again like your thoughts on this one, a nicely lit shot too, like it :)

Happy - Ooooo that is nice, not sure on the WB, but the composition and DoF is bang on, love the inclusion of the fire/flames, cracking shot for the theme (y)

Thanks for all your encouraging comments DK :)

Hi Emma.
I think that composition works well too. The cat looks happy and the addition of the fire in the background adds to the shot.
Lovely shot, the fire in the background really tells the full story :)
He looks very happy and chilled out Emma, the fire definitely adds that extra interest, excellent choice for the theme, very nicely done.

Hi Emma, great composition and warm tones really make the image. I dont blame the cat for being happy snoozing by the fire at all :)

content there, must be happy, nice framing

Thanks for all your lovely comments - they are really appreciated :)

Miniature - as others have said well composed image, fits the theme,

Happy - another nice sharp image, Oscar does look like hes happy there, my only niggle is he is not looking at the camera.

Thanks Mandy. if he'd been awake it would have bothered me too - but it doesn't seem quite as important as he's asleep. I tried lots of different angles, but none gave the composition with the fire like this. And you wouldn't believe how many times he woke up and moved so he had his whole back to me, or put both his paws over his face! In this shot I quite liked the way the tail fell down the side of the speaker as well. Thanks for the input, though :)

Lovely shot, as others have said the inclusion of the fire in the background really adds to the story in the image. Is he asleep on a speaker? Cats choose the most unlikely places to sleep!

Hi Emma - I'll try to catch up on a couple of your shots as they're so varied in style (which is a good thing, btw):

Metal - good job on the lighting... a difficult subject and you've captured it well. I'd have been inclined to lift the shadows more to get some additional detail out there, but I think your lower key capture works very well (probably better than my suggestion!)
Captive - great idea and well executed. I really like the shadow from the bars on the wall behind and also the fact you have areas of dark and light. For me, I'd maybe stretch the dynamic range further - accentuate the areas of light on his face and make the darker area from his waist down even darker. But that's just a view on what type of image you're looking to create so not crit as such. If you wanted to de-centralise him, I'd lose a bit of the left part of the image - I don't think the vertical needs cropping.

Good start and looking forward to more of your images!

Lovely shot, as others have said the inclusion of the fire in the background really adds to the story in the image. Is he asleep on a speaker? Cats choose the most unlikely places to sleep!
Thanks Steve - yup it's a speaker. My husband's been 'educating' our 6 year old son in death metal recently (he doesn't even like it himself!) - I'd like to see this when Oscar's on the speaker!

@pjm1 Thanks for your thoughtful comments Paul. I agree about the shadows on the top of the captive shot...and I don't think only because it too me so long to get them right in the first place! I was unsure about how dark to take the image and tried it lighter and darker than this - I'm still not entirely sure...this photography lark brings out the worst indecisiveness in me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think the fire in the back ground is proof of how happy he is lovely picture nicely focused on his face

A contented cat is a happy cat, good take on the subject Emma.

A great photo of a happy cat. Very well composed and focussed, and now the WB works too.

Good one. Like the others I think the it's the inclusion of the fire that finishes the shot

So here's a bit of a cheerful take on abandoned...but how would you feel as the only leaf left in sight hanging on after the storm?! Having had a small op this week and having a couple of days bed rest I definitely needed to make the most of the sunshine this afternoon for an hour or so. The sky really was this blue, which seemed incredible after the rain and wind last night. I also took some other shots of abandoned buildings and other bits and pieces locally which I'll put below, but the leaf was my favourite shot of the afternoon. I used my new reflector to increase light from below.

after the storm by Em Jay, on Flickr

Happy - certainly looks contended and happy - beautiful cat.
Abandoned - I think I like the first one best, beautiful capture of the leaf and an interesting take on the theme.

Hi Emma

The leaf shot is amazing, what colour! and unreal BG. (y)

The Tyre shot I like very much ... it's only a couple of tyres and they not necessarily abandoned but what with rusty old corrugated iron & all, it definitely says abandoned.

Nicely interpreted and taken, with the leaf, Andrea (y)

I like the leaf shot but I LOVE the tyres. The composition, positioning if the tyres and no parking sign and the vertical stripes make it a really striking image.

Happy: that's a beauty. Says happy and contented loud and clear. The fire and exposed brick add to the feeling of warmth and homeliness

Abandoned: definitely tyre pic for me. Elegantly clean composition with eye-catching juxtaposition of lines and shapes. Winner by a mile!

Abandoned...No1 one for me great idea lovely blue sky great DOF.(y)

really like all three of your pictures for the abandoned theme, the stand out for me is the tyre shot. Texture, contrast and good framing

The two tyres and the no parking sign I think are the best take on abandoned Andrea, not only does it fit the bill but its quite humorous too. Well spotted

Back