Eos 6d Owners Thread!

my concern with magic lantern is never touched it before and don't want to brick a brand new camera
You'd be the first person ever that i'd know about if you bricked it with the nightly builds that are produced these days. Can't say as i actually read many if any (vague memory) even when it was early days bleedin' edge stuff.

has anyone done micro adjustments on the camera for their lenses? did it make them sharper? been playing with mine and finding the nifty fifty and my 24-105 shots are missing it on portraits that my old 5d didn't.

I just did a simple top down shot of the lens cap on a table with the lens wide open, focussing on the Canon text and then compared it to a Liveview shot taken immediately after.

The 135mm was perfect, but I had to play around with the 50mm 1.4 a bit. As soon as it was clear that minus adjustment were making it worse I tried +20, much better but not quite right, settled on +15.

Quick and dirty, but very effective and so much better now.

it does look interesting
I've been using it since my 50D and highly recommend it. Once you go ML there is no going back imo, focus peaking, magic zoom, zebras etc. it's an invaluable tool and that's just stills. If you're into video it's a must.

so do you just shot and focus on a point review it that points sharp then adjust accordingly?

I've been using it since my 50D and highly recommend it. Once you go ML there is no going back imo, focus peaking, magic zoom, zebras etc. it's an invaluable tool and that's just stills. If you're into video it's a must.
Why do people keep talking about Zebras in a photography forum:)

I love magic lantern personally............ I have used the dual iso on a few landscapes works remarkably well

so do you just shot and focus on a point review it that points sharp then adjust accordingly?

That's the quick and dirty way but it's been perfect for me, comparing to a Live View shot is handy because LV is inherently accurate, so you can see exactly what you should be getting.

There are free charts you can download to do it 'properly', I did it once as a double check and got the exact same result.

Can,t you micro adjust it.:)

Just add +5 & see if it is better or worse,if worse go the minus route.:)

I'd hope so... I was hoping someone would have a link to a great guide?

The previous guide was great in explaining the test/setting the shot up to diagnose.
Very simple.

On the 6D go to the menu and C.FN II: Autofocus menu, go to no.9 (MFA) and adjust lens then Q to change.

As it's front focusing add +5 to the adjustment, press OK to confirm (if you don't it won't remember the change). And then retest.

Rinse repeat until you get roughly 1/3 focus in front of the focus point and 2/3 behind. Or your personal choice of balance.

:cross posted with ninja like James:

:banana::clap::wave::agree:

worked for me I think, fair few of the reasonable front focusing which ties into the tests I did last week

similar situation to Joe, love the camera but couldn't figure out why even stopped down they weren't right.

the other thing I notice is my 50 1.8 hunts more than on the 5d I think..

Used 6D is in Postie's van will be here before 1pm. I've got a couple of old (and I mean ancient) Canon lenses to try it with. It'll be be fun trying Canon again after a little sojourn with Sony via Nikon. Looking forward to the top buttons, always missed them.

Last edited:
Back