Eos 6d Owners Thread!

I too came from a 550d to the 6d An in my opinion, the 6d's images are far superior in every aspect. As good as the 550d is, it just doesn't compare.

I'm away in the caravan at the moment and only have the 550d with me but havn't checked the focus microadjustment so will when I get back.

I've tried raw and jpeg. What do you mean by fiddling with jpeg though?

I'll try it with my old 400D when I'm home at the weekend to see if it happens with that too but thought I'd throw it out there in the meantime to see if anyone else has noticed the same.

Tried rotating a lens mounted on my 400D and it did the same :shrug:
It doesn't seem to affect the camera and only rotates under pressure, not on its own, so I'll live with it.

Simon

I've got a choice coming up. I've currently got a 7d which has to stay as I have it housed for underwater work, but now have an option of new lenses or adding a 6d to my camera bag. If I go this route it'll be paired with the 70-200 f4L and either a 400mm f5.6 or 100-400.

I'm thinking of this camera mainly for times when reach isn't needed and in lower light, but shooting wildlife I need a reasonable level of AF. I can cope with just using the centre point most of the time, although I do use the outer points quite a bit, so how are you guys who have had the 6d for a while finding the AF? Its the only thing on the spec sheet which concerns me.

If its not up to the job I'll have to 'settle' for the 70-200 f2.8 is ii on my 7d instead

I just use the centre point and it works great. If low light is what you need you won't be disappointed. But saying that I went from a t3i to the 6D so it's not like I have a 7D to compare the focus speed to.

The focus system will be nothing compared to the 7D, but I've never had a problem. Outer points work fine as long as you have light, but in low light conditions it will be best to stick with the enter point.

It's okay, you can adjust acceleration and tracking sensitivity, but again it's not going to match the 7D.

I've got a few birds in flight (seagulls) from a moving boat and most were nice and sharp.

Thought you might be interested in this shot from my 6D with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with a 1.4x tele converter on it from the other evening of a very fast EDF foam jet flying at our local club. Consider when I took the image I was using the centre point to focus and it was shortly after 7pm so starting to get fading light. I've got to be honest and say I was impressed - was the first time I really used the tele with it and it didn't slow things much at all.

Phil flying his Sea Vixen by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea to look at but a good example of focus speed given that I comprised it by adding the teleconverter in. All were shot at f/4 and 1/1000 sec shutter speed and maxed out at 280mm. Could get away with the high shutter speed because there wasn't a prop to worry about stopping!

Thanks

Stevie

Last edited:
Love those shots, those models must be shifting at a fair rate, so thumbs up from me(y)

Hope you don't mind, but here's the full size version

Vixen2 by cornishwelding, on Flickr

Coming from Pentax K-5 auto-focus of 6D looks pretty good. Far more precise, and tracking ability exist for real (compared to Pentax). Paper specs doesn't always tell all the story.

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but it will bug me if I never find out the answer!

Apart from the obvious reason to shoot in quiet mode (it's quiet, duh), are there any mechanical reasons why you would or would not shoot using this mode? As an example, does it shorten the life of the shutter, does it give less performance in any way?

I quite like people not hearing the shutter slam down and being a little more discreet is nice. Is there a reason why I shouldn't keep it in silent mode forever?

I like quiet mode too. I think it is quieter partly because the shutter slows down. I seem to recall having some high-speed flash synchronisation issues when quiet mode, but I may be mistaken.

Quentin

When using liveview, the silent mode uses an elctronic first shutter, which apparently reduces vibrations.
I didn't know that, thanks for the reply. :)

I like quiet mode too. I think it is quieter partly because the shutter slows down. I seem to recall having some high-speed flash synchronisation issues when quiet mode, but I may be mistaken.

Quentin
Speaking of flash, I would have liked the flash sync speed to be higher than 1/180th, it's slightly annoying.

Having recently bought an XE-1 and being very impressed with its IQ and low light capabilities I began to use my 5D2 less and less. So I decided to sell the 5D and buy a 6D, for three reasons: Improved AF and noise and also size and weight (that's four, anyway) I was fully aware of the trade off between 5D2 and 6D, having used the 6D for a few days now I am really pleased to have made the jump. Some of the controls are a little clunky but mostly it's just a new way to do things and once you're used to it it becomes second nature. I thought wifi would be good with the eos app but to be honest Ill probably just stick to a remote, less of a faff.

My criteria was simply to get the best IQ I could in the smallest package, with this in mind the 6D was and is the best camera available. Leica M excluded.

Toyed with the idea of grey import but in the end with the current cashback offer and lightroom and elements thrown in, which I should be able to sell for £100 plus a 2yr warranty, it was only slightly more expensive and it's nice to have the piece if mind if anything goes wrong I can pop it back to my local shop rather than shipping it back to Hong Kong and crossing your fingers you see it again.

Very happy so far....

Well, I don't often post pictures here, but I'm quite pleased with this one from a recent trip to Yellowstone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quentinsf/9708468467/in/set-72157635514742644/

I bought a 17-40mm just before going, because I thought I'd be taking lots of landscapes, but I was surprised at just how much I used my 70-200, as here.

Here's another (cropped):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quentinsf/9711332062/in/set-72157635514742644/

Came back very pleased with my 6D. The only downside was that on this trip I switched between my three lenses so frequently, that I started to think I might need another body...

Hi Guys, New to the club.
Little question, is there any way of limiting my shutter speed in AV mode? I struggle to go slower than 1/125th without shake so wanted to basically tell the camera to play with the iso beyond that. I couldn't find the option in the menus but I can't imagine the option wouldn't be there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paddy

Hi Guys, New to the club.
Little question, is there any way of limiting my shutter speed in AV mode? I struggle to go slower than 1/125th without shake so wanted to basically tell the camera to play with the iso beyond that. I couldn't find the option in the menus but I can't imagine the option wouldn't be there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paddy

Menu, 3rd tab, ISO speed settings, Min shutter speed and then set ISO to auto :)

Another new owner checking in. Picked up my birthday present 6D a week ago now. Bought from Dixons "tax free" at Heathrow Terminal 5, they put one aside for me when I phoned. Paid £1349, cash-back of £150 takes it to £1199, and I'll hopefully sell the enclosed copy of Lightroom 5 (I use Aperture) to bring it down more. Over the moon with the price :)

As for the body itself...it's absolutely wonderful! It's frightening how much more you need to concentrate on the depth of field, there's certainly a learning curve compared to my 50D crop body.

I'm keeping the 50D, it's now got a long lens permanently attached - the best of both worlds as I see it! From my initial experimentation, in good lighting the IQ of the 50D with the 1.6x appears marginally better than with the 6D zooming in to the same framing, although that might be my technique more than anything else (opinions appreciated). Of course, in anything other than perfect lighting the 6D advantages of low iso make it much better even if I have to crop in.

All in all, a great decision - I'm so glad I opted for the 6D as opposed to the used 5DmkII I was planning on!

-simon

the IQ of the 50D with the 1.6x appears marginally better than with the 6D zooming in to the same framing

Had earmarked the 6D as my possible next camera, but if the above is true it would seriously put me off

I presume he means cropping to the same frame as a crop sensor

To be honest still hoped it would have been an improvement, my old 5D at 12mp when cropped still produces better IQ than the 7D I owned (wasn't a duff one either)

Had earmarked the 6D as my possible next camera, but if the above is true it would seriously put me off

I mean cropping in so that it's the same size as the crop sensor. In perfect lighting conditions, i.e. very bright daylight. And it might just be because I don't know the 6D well enough yet, I've had the 50D for five years now :)

-simon

In the same / good lighting conditions, if you setup on a tripod a 5d3, a 6d and a 50d all with the same lens, it will be very difficult to tell the difference. It's anyone of the variables of light and /or lens changes that you'll start to see big differences.

I mean cropping in so that it's the same size as the crop sensor. In perfect lighting conditions, i.e. very bright daylight. And it might just be because I don't know the 6D well enough yet, I've had the 50D for five years now :)

-simon

I guess it depends what you are shooting, and therefore if you are going to be shooting long lenses at low ISO. I generally find myself shooting moving things at long focal lengths e.g. 400mm in order to shoot wildlife and sports, and this (generally) requires a fast shutter speed which in turn requires higher ISO settings.

I did a test at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 with the 60D and 6D, and the 6D was cleaner. In order to get such clean images from the crop camera, I needed to re-size the image down to a size smaller than the already cropped 6D image. I sold my 60D after that :)

I appreciate that most folk probably came from another Canon camera but did anyone consider the D600 and plump for the 6D?

Although I was already a Canon user (with a crop body) and had lenses that I could use on a full-frame camera, I did look carefully at the D600.
In the end, as well as the cost of changing lenses etc. the dirt/oil on sensor reports from the D600 were enough to put me off.
Since Nikon have just introduced the D610 with a new shutter assembly, I'm glad I didn't swap systems.
If you are already committed to the Nikon system, I would look long and hard at the benefits of changing, and ask yourself if you are really going to improve your photography as a result.
Both Canon and Nikon are capable of superb results in the right hands, and I really cannot see any benefits in changing from one to the other.

Quick background is that I've sold off my D600 (just before the huge new price drop!).. So currently no Nikon gear (apart from one cheapish lens)

I got fed up with the dust and constant worry it was going to ruin my shots and was planning on downsizing to a compact system but the quality of images I was getting from full frame can't be matched my them I don't believe.

Money no object I'd probably buy the D610 but I'm reluctant to pay such a premium for a fix that shouldn't have been needed and especially v the current price of the 6D.

My main lens would likely be the Sigma 35mm f1.4 that I previously used on the D600 and loved so obviously I can get that for Canon.

I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me about a decent 24mm though?

Quick background is that I've sold off my D600 (just before the huge new price drop!).. So currently no Nikon gear (apart from one cheapish lens)

I got fed up with the dust and constant worry it was going to ruin my shots and was planning on downsizing to a compact system but the quality of images I was getting from full frame can't be matched my them I don't believe.

Money no object I'd probably buy the D610 but I'm reluctant to pay such a premium for a fix that shouldn't have been needed and especially v the current price of the 6D.

My main lens would likely be the Sigma 35mm f1.4 that I previously used on the D600 and loved so obviously I can get that for Canon.

I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me about a decent 24mm though?
I sympathize with your position, highly frustrating.

I shoot with zoom lenses myself, although Canon do some very nice primes.
A lot of people recommend the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, although it comes at an eye-watering price.
There's also the 24mm F1.4, which looks stunning but is not much cheaper than the T/S.
There is a day to day 24mm f2.8 with IS which is more affordable.
I bought my 6D as the kit with the 24-105 F4L, which I think is a great package deal.
Sure, there is a fair amount of distortion at the 24mm end, but I use Lightroom and the lens corrections work really well.
There are also lens corrections in the Canon DPP software which comes with the camera.

Thanks mate, will take a look.
I'm tossing up between another full frame dslr (D6xx or 6D) or Possibly the Fuji X-Pro 1 as I find I don't need massively fast AF any more.

It was a close one before when I opted for the D600 over the 6D so I think I'd be happy enough with it!

After months of deliberation between the 6d and 70d, I'm finally hoping to get a 6d in the next couple of weeks before the cash back deal ends. One thing that I've just noticed is the camera's relatively slow sync speed of 1/180s. Has this been a problem for any owners on here or am I just getting last minute nerves.

Aside from the 24-105 are there any y other decent value zooms for the 6D?

When you say "decent value" I take it you mean "cheap"?
To which, in all honesty, the answer is really "no".
There are some cheaper Canon zooms that will fit, but they are old designs, dating from the days of film, and are not ideal to use on FF digital.
The only one that looks worth considering is the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.
It's an old design (1998) and was one of the first Canon lenses with IS.
There's a review of it here http://www.photozone.de/reviews/190-canon-ef-28-135mm-f35-56-usm-is-test-report--review

Without wishing to sound snobbish, but with the IQ available from the 6D I wouldn't put any zoom on it that didn't have a red ring around the end.
I know it's not cheap, but the 6D kit with the included 24-105 is very good value.
I was a bit sceptical about the 24-105 myself, since it's not the most modern design, but since I bought it I find I really like it. Sure there is some distortion at the 24mm end, but if you use Lightroom or DPP you can remove the distortion in software.
I'm extremely happy with mine, although like all things Canon, it is possible get a poor example.
I also have the 17-40 F4L and the 70-200 F4L which I previously used with my crop body 30D.
With the crop body I never noticed any problem, but with the FF I needed something to cover the gap between 40 & 70mm, hence buying the 24-105 kit.
One additional benefit is that the same sized filters will fit all the lenses.

After a lot of deliberation I have finally decided to upgrade from my 600D to the 6D (the other camera i was considering was the 70D)

Now i cannot decided whether to buy with the 24-105 kit lens or just body only.

I already have a couple of L lenses, the 17-40 and 70-200 F4 so most focul lengths are covered, my thinking is to purchase the 50mm 1.4 also to bridge the gap somewhat, thus saving a bit of money.

So just wondering if anyone can offer tips/advice.

Back