weekly erling - 52 in 2013 - Week 12 Direction

I'm with Chris too - like the lighting coming through diagonally, just no clues in the photo to say what it actually is.

A bit more of the actual post or the bulb might have been enough to show it was a lamp post.

A bit more of the actual post or the bulb might have been enough to show it was a lamp post.

The problem is that the rest of the post is covered in snow …
But I can understand your concern. Allthough I though it wouldn’t be difficult to see what it was, but my objectivity is not exactly valid.

Interesting take on the theme, works well in a not working kind of way (y)

Hi ya

Thanks for telling us what It is...I'd looked several times & it was begining to bug me :LOL: Definately works for the theme :)

gluttony by erling_smemo, on Flickr

I think this was a difficult theme to do, without having it staged. So this is what I ended up with.

The picture shows a bag of left over stuff from construction workers on a roof in Copenhagen. I think it might show the gluttony in the sence that we have much more than we need, and it’s a sort of a «use and throw away»-community (freely translated from the Norwegian expression «bruk og kast-samfunn»).

Well, enough seriousness, have a happy TIME this weekend :)

Well, it’s a sort of a bit more political than I really wanted it to be. But for me it’s about having more than one need, and then just leaving the rest of what you haven’t spent lying around*…

Any better?

Yeah i get what you were trying to do, but it just looks like a bag of rubble, destined for land fill..... Laziness, I could see, but not gluttony. But maybe I am just being stupid....

Well, each to his own take I guess, and this can indeed be read as a take on gluttony in the sense you explained. At first I thought it was a bag of rubbish that had been pecked apart by birds letting stuff spill out, but apparently not so.

The diagonal tile lines leading the eye up to the bag are nice, but the horizontal lines are a bit weird, so this ends up being a pretty unsettling image in more ways than one!

Hi, Erling, nice one for trying something different. Doesn't scream gluttony to me, though.

Compositionally, I'd prefer the lines on the ground to be leading up to the rubble.

Cheers.

hi ya

without reading you words I didn't see gluttony either but it does make perfect sense...we are very much a society that buys too much & chucks what we don't use ( least i think we are) which is a form of gluttony

I'm also finding it interesting seeing your takes on the themes...how words we see as meaning one thing can have a different meaning in another country :)

time by erling_smemo, on Flickr

Time.
This one probably don’t need an explanation.
This is a fun public clock outside a shopping mall in Oslo, and I liked the composition with the moon in the background :)

You like the composition? And so do I!

Seems to me it shouldn't work, the top is completely black (well, blank anyway). But it really does. Another case where less is more!

Hi, looks like a cracking building and bang on theme. Looks a tad hot on the clock face.

I'd prefer the moon wasn't in the photograph.

Cheers.

Really nice Erling, great lighting and colour. Moon adds impact in my opinion. Nicely done!

juxtaposition by erling_smemo, on Flickr

So this is my juxtaposition photo. Not really knowing what this word means, and not really being that much wiser after googling it, this is what I came up with.

There’s supposed to be a contrast between rock and tree, tall and long and so on ...
And about the bw, I just thought it looked better that way, and it was easier playing with the contrast.

letter by erling_smemo, on Flickr

I’m guessing this one probably needs some explanation.

This is a try to show the cyrillic letter И, which is the same as the letter I in latin alphabet.

The motive is of ski tracks, and marks from people going freestyle skiing across the tracks.

H, Erling, two very different approaches here.

Juxtaposition works well. The structured and straight against the amorphous blob.

Letter, needed explaining but I can see it now. Rather like the simplicity of this one.

For me, they're both a tad grey.

Cheers.

hi ya

I do like your take's on the themes.....I wasn't much the wiser after googling Juxtapostion either :LOL:

Juxta...good connection to the theme in several ways as you mentioned...whites look good to me :)

Letter...had to read your words to get it but it's an interesting take on the theme...well done you for outta the box thinking (y)Think this one does look a tad not white...can't decide if it's grey or slightly warm though :thinking:

Considering I took that for a Nordic castle, that's a pretty amazing shot of a fuse box! As said, very eery. Really like it, Erling!

Hi Erling :wave:

Letter: I wouldn't have guessed it without your explanation. Nice and simple now I understand (y)

Electricity: I wouldn't have connected this a fuse box to be honest. To be honest I was very unsure what it was but again with explanation it's well in theme.

Back