Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

week2_season by erling_smemo, on Flickr

This is a photo taken in the forest just near to us, and describes the season we are in now in the north.

Last edited:
Norway..ggrrrr. Been a few time a love the place :D

Like this one. The FG fence acts a s a food counterpoint to the trees. The light hitting the edges of the fence is great.

A Grad filter would have helped pull back some detail in the sky.

Cheers.

Agreed, I checked out now what a grad filter is, I have actually never seen that before. I have now a filter on that is just an UV filter, more or less just to protect the lens from damage*…

About the sky detail—I didn’t make more than one shot, so I have nothing to compare with, but in my copy the sky is a bit more burned out than I like ;p

Agreed, I checked out now what a grad filter is, I have actually never seen that before. I have now a filter on that is just an UV filter, more or less just to protect the lens from damage*…

About the sky detail—I didn’t make more than one shot, so I have nothing to compare with, but in my copy the sky is a bit more burned out than I like ;p

I don't use a UV filter. I'd opt for a polariser to emphasise th colours, especially in the sky.

I'd you don't want to buy grad filters you can always bracket and blend in photoshop.

Cheers.

i like the picture I dont mind the sky being blown its an interesting shape in the FG and it looks really cold there in Norway :clap:

Erling, that's a really strong shot, congratulations. As others have said, the sky's a bit blown, but nevertheless the composition is great.

Like the way the light is hitting the posts to silhouette them against background.

Another one to say the lighting has been captured well (y)
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Wayne

Certainly on topic
Agree with above comments, but love the light catching the frost on the fence
Good effort

I really like the composition and you have nailed the focus.
I like the sky the way it is, very realistic. Nice one (y)

Erling, I really like the idea, and the theme part is well done. But the shot is a bit "busy" for me; there's a lot of distracting detail, and I'm not sure it's an interesting composition in its own right. Difficult I know, when you have a limited location to choose from. Would shifting viewpoint to the right (so simplifying the background to those vertical boards) have helped?

That’s a very good idea, and then also get a more interesting angle on the figure itself.

I think I might try the same thing again and then maybe repost the image when I also try a bit more blurry background

Thanks for feedback :)

Last edited:
Great find and looking forward to a repost of the image you described.

I too found it a little too busy bg wise and the light fixture to the left of the figure is distracting.

Hi ya & sorry to have missed you up to this point :wave:

All's been said about Season...looks very very chilly brrrrr . like the detail in the frost on the fence :)

Gravity...very unusual place to put a scultpture ....quite appealing though & looks like it has some interesting tones in it :) Look forward to seeing your re-post....if you can get the angle so the background is the side of the builing it'll work really well (y)

ps....I'm coming to Norway in March....please tell me there will still be lots of snow :D

Hello again, here follows my «Wild»-photo.
The photo stars my dog in my partents’ garden. The original idea (my wife’s idea) was to shoot her while she was yawning, ’cause she does something with her teeth. But then she never did yawn when we were with her, so this idea turned up to make the dog, an Alaskan husky called Uvær (Norwegian for «bad weather»), come running towards me down a small hill. And I think it turned out quite well :)

wild by erling_smemo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow that's great! It reminds me of a certain infamous wolf photo.

Congrats on the sharpness and the colours looks fab against the OOF BG.

Great DOF, only crit - slight blur on the front legs. Good shot tho, we'll done.

slight blur on the front legs.

Thanks for the reply

I guess I had to make a compromise between foreground and background. I definately wanted to have a blurry BG, so I shot at f2.8, therefore I guess it would be almost impossible to have the whole body in focus. Oh, and also: she is moving;)

Great shot for me, loving the golden oof BG and her gorgeous brown eyes.

Space

space by erling_smemo, on Flickr

This is a photo taken in the forest close to where I live. Actually just around the corner from the place the «season» photo was shot.

I really liked the idea of some weird shaped ice. In Norwegian we say that something is «spaced» when something is strange*… So this for me was «spaced».

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Wild, well captured and exposed. Slightly faster shutter speed to really freeze the motion, maybe. But good eye contact and nicely off the snow.

Space, nicely captured and liking the storyline.

Cheers.

Interesting take on Space, love the feel of the pic. Well done :clap:

Hi Erling.
Season - great shot, well in theme. Like the colours and dof and light shining on the post, plenty of content.
Gravity - original and very clever if a little 'soft'.
Wild - A superb shot Erling. Can't add any more, well done!
Space - Lovely sharp feel with great dof. Understand your Norwegian interpretation of space and your composition as a result. Good job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ya :wave:

beautiful shot for Wild....love the warm colors in the BG , the position of the pooch & that you've caught her midflight (y) Only slight crit is the image appears a little oof but that may be my monitor...it's quite hard( at least I find it quite hard) to get pin sharp images of moving objects coming toward you

Space....interesting shape , maybe needs something to bring out the color in the branch's a tad more ?

Erling, I like the shot, the composition, the lighting... I just don't know what "it" is!

Back